Stormy Night Confessions

The Last Summer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Blowing her bangs out of her eyes once more, Seulgi squinted at the map in frustration. "I think we're right here," she said slowly, pointing her finger at a spot on the large map in her hands. "Maybe?" she amended, leaning closer to inspect it. 

Shiah leaned close over one shoulder, Jisoo having crashed on the little couch in their rented RV. This was supposed to be the best summer ever, or at least that was the three best friend's plan. It was their last summer together before their lives would change irrevocably, and they had made these trips plans almost a year prior, just after Jisoo had set her wedding date. They wanted to do it before her wedding, and so they were still two weeks off from that prestigous date and now, stuck in the middle of an American highway.

It had been Shiah's idea to save money and rent from a cheaper place, Seulgi thought as she glanced at the doll-like girl leaning over her shoulder. Shiah must have seen the baleful look in her eyes though, because her small lips formed into a pout and she shook her head. "No, you agreed, we should save money!" she defended immediately in her quiet little voice, backing up and leaving before she and Seulgi could get into an argument.

Again, anyway. With another sigh, Seulgi lifted her phone to try and see if she could get service, please, she would settle for even one bar! Alas it was to no avail, and she had to curb the urge to scream and throw the cursed thing. It wasn't her precious phone's fault, she reminded herself, setting it back on the dash and reaching for the map in her lap.

It had been nearly thirty minutes that they had been stranded there, the RV having puffed a great plume of white smoke from the back and sputtering to a stop. They had been taking a back highway - yet another of Shiah's brilliant ideas - on their way to see the wonders of America on a roadtrip. 'We will see little known beauty,' she said. 'It will be fun,' she said.

"Is this fun enough for you?" Seulgi grumbled under her breath, then started as a cool bottle pressed to the back of her neck. She turned to see Jisoo smiling down at her.

"Don't turn into grumpy Bear," she admonished, shooting a look over her own shoulder out the door where Shiah had evacuated to. "We all agreed to this trip, to this RV, and it's still going to be fun. Still is fun," she added when Seulgi's frown deepened.

"I had a feeling as soon as I saw this van-' she began, but her wind cut off as she added, "- and I should have said something then. Ugh, we're so screwed."

Reaching around her, Jisoo took the map and scrutinized it with forming the words silently. "Here," she said, glancing out the passenger window. "I think we're here." Her finger was close to where Seulgi had figured earlier, but a little closer to a town. 

The driver sat up and looked at where Jisoo indicated. "How far do you think that is? Could we walk to it and get a hotel and a rental car?"

Jisoo gave her an incredulous look then. "Walk? Like, hitch-hike? Have you never watched a horror movie?"

"No, not hitch-hike... besides, there are no cars on this highway to catch a ride from. I meant it literally - could we walk to it?"

A shake of her head and Jisoo was now glaring at her. "We're not going to walk on  some desolate American highway."

"Walk? Did you find a nearby town?"

Apparently Shiah was back, and Seulgi gave her a little smile as an apology for her grumpiness earlier. "Jisoo found a nearby town, but she thinks we would all be murdered if we tried to walk there. I want to try so we can have some air conditioner and a hotel to sleep in and some food!" They had chips and waters but that was about the extent of their goods, and while the RV had started out with air conditioning, it wasn't working now that the RV was done, too. And without electricity, Seulgi was not willing to sleep out in the middle of who-knew-where overnight. She said this last part to Jisoo, who frowned, but Shiah nodded in agreement.

"Here," she said, taking the map from Jisoo and earning an annoyed look, "I think it is... about fifteen miles."

"That's too far," bemoaned Jisoo, but the other two girls shook their heads. 

"No, we can do it. If we started now, we could arrive before dark," Seulgi added, getting up from her seat and moving around Jisoo and Shiah to grab her shiny orange suitcase. "Thank god for wheels." She started throwing all of her belongings into it, and Shiah moved to get her own bright red hard-case as well. Jisoo watched them both for a long moment before she heaved a sigh and began to pack her own purple bag in defeat.

Jisoo wasn't a dancer like Seulgi and Shiah, a passion that the other two girls had shared for the length of their entire sixteen year friendship. Shiah had applied for and gotten a scholarship to Barnard College in New York, where she would start in the fall - only a month away. Jisoo's wedding was in Seoul two weeks prior, where she would wed Seulgi's older brother after they had started dating over the past year and a half. It would be considered a fast wedding, except that they had known one another for the entire seventeen years that Seulgi and Jisoo had known one another. Apparently they had dated in secret a bit while in high school, and Seulgi was still bitter over the fact that neither her best friend or her own brother could tell her the truth. It was  of no avail now, though. Seulgi was moving on, too, moving to Seoul at the end of July to  try and get into professional dance there. She would never admit it to Shiah, but she too had applied to Barnard and hadn't gotten in, and that refusal still stung. 

"Let's get moving," she said to push her thoughts to the back of her mind. Shiah was already done packing and was sitting on her case outside in front of the RV, but Jisoo was still slowly packing her things in. "Jisoo," Seulgi said in admonishment, taking over and shoving things in haphazardly. "We need to get going if we want to get there before dark."

Jisoo gave over with a sigh, then shook her head. "I don't like this, Seulgi. We should just stay here and -"

"And what? Hope someone comes by whose phone does work? And if they don't come? Then what? Stay out here tonight and hope they come by tomorrow?"

The defeated look she was met with told her she had won, and she finished packing Jisoo's things and pushed the handle into her hand. "It will be okay, we've got the three of us. Besides, you're our Tae Kwon Do queen."

Jisoo gave her a dark look at that - she was only a white belt, afte

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter