one last stop before we go to hell 2 (Joyrene)

racing in circles again

On replay, flashing through her mind. The sequence is looping and she shouldn’t be bothered by it. Except she is. When she cleans the bottles, dusts the floor, she sees the faceless girl. The images consume her, swallowing her sanity. 

 

Joy doesn’t understand. She was promised a new beginning, a clean slate. Free of her old memories. She had taken the withering hand in the dark, allowing it to guide her out of Hell. There, she opened her eyes, finding herself in somber lights. Inhaling the acrid scent of alcohol. 

 

It was a new beginning. She had no recollection of her previous life and she preferred it that way. Nonetheless, piece by piece, they were returning. First the girl. Her steps, her hands. A vague idea. An outline. 

 

Then it was a voice. Laughter would dissolve into hums, deeper melodies. Lately, she thinks she hears the harmony line, a lighter tone, burdenless. Resolving the other girl’s dissonance, ending on a finished note. 

 

She must be going crazy because the voice crooning the melody is reminiscent of Irene. And the voice supplying the harmony sounds like her own. She most likely is insane. 

 

Something has been amiss since she spoke with that woman. 

 


 

“Can you keep up?” The girl in front turns around, jogging backwards. Teasing her, mouth wide open. Laughing at the world, inviting everyone to listen. Short puffs of air leak out. She does her best. Muscles burning. 

 

She runs, finally being a foot away from her. 

 

“We’re almost there, Sooyoung.” 

 

“You said that ten minutes ago.” The girl sticks out her tongue, feet shifting. Whirling. Sprinting faster than before. She groans. 

 

“Wait up!” She chases her deeper into the forest. Branches scraping, leaves nicking shallow cuts on her skin. She doesn’t care. She only feels the high, exhilaration urging her to run. Run and don’t stop. 

 

The other girl stops abruptly. She skids on the wet grass, crashing into her. Sending them both to the ground. A shrill scream. She barely feels pain, the fall cushioned by the body underneath her. 

 

“Get off, you’re heavy,” the girl protests. She grins, taking her chance to enact revenge. 

 

“No.” 

 

“Fine. We’re here anyway.” She rolls off the girl and lies on her back. 

 

“So you wanted to show me something?” she asks. 

 

“Yes.”

 

“Where is it?” A shake of her head, lips curling. 

 

“I wanted to show you the view.” She huddles closer, seeking comfort. 

 

“Oh. You wanted to show me an ugly glade?” She shouldn’t have said anything. But the punches don’t hurt, not when the both of them are cackling, the wind accompanying their voices. 

 


 

Perhaps the solution is to have another talk with Irene. It’s logical. The problem started with Irene; therefore, it would make sense for it to end with her. A talk, that’s it. 

 

No more looping sequences, scenes on replay. She’ll continue her existence without curiosity urging her forward. However, there’s the nagging thought. What if they don’t cease? She concludes that speaking with Irene will at least confirm her suspicion. Ease her mind, running at unimaginable speeds. 

 

Thousands of years may have passed since she spoke to Irene. She doesn’t know. Time is hard to track here and she has given up on it altogether. If many years have gone by, then she supposes her idea is sound. She has had plenty of time to think it over. 

 

Joy believes Irene is the same girl. The one who she ran in a forest with. The one who was there when she saw the stars. The girl who she murdered. She’s certain about it, but the last one confuses her. The memory haunts her. 

 

She remembers red, staining the fabric. Her hand slipping due to the blood. She has asked herself again and again. Why did she do it? 

 

The answer is within her grasp. Perhaps she’s holding herself back, scared of what she’ll find.  

   


 

Darting past the shriveled trunks and twisting vines, in pursuit of her target, her heart is in overdrive. Thrilled by the hunt. Just a bit more and her job will be done. One lifeless body, unmasked. Her pace quickens, legs ablaze. Shaking the trodden ground. Bursting into the clearing.  

 

She readies her dagger, her prey is slowing, tired from the chase. Loud panting drums in her ears. She can close the gap. A meter. She lunges. 

 

Force crashing, tumbling, they grapple each other. Strength fueling her arms, she flips the hooded figure over. Steel driving down. 

 

She never misses. The figure chokes, grabbing her arms. Resistance is futile. She pushes, harder, harder. 

 

The mask is ripped off and she stops. Hands trembling, she wants to vomit. A grotesque sensation rushes through her system. Surging in droves.

 


 

When it is all quiet, Joy descends, finding her in Hell. She extends a hand, offering the woman a new beginning. A glance, a look. Irene accepts, holding on tightly. 

 

They return and Joy pours out her questions. On the edge, she asks and asks.  

 

The woman doesn’t have an answer for her. Joy can’t contain her disappointment, all this wondering, thinking, dreaming, all for nothing. She slides down onto the floor, staring at the bottles on the top shelf. Sounds of shuffling, weight bumping into her. Irene sits beside her and they both don’t speak. Not for awhile. Joy taps her foot, clears .

 

“I should take you back.”

 

“Can I stay a little longer?” Joy stretches out her legs, yawning. She doesn’t see why not.

 

“How long?” Irene is mute. She breathes out, frustrated from the lack of response. This doesn’t have to be difficult.  

 

“If you don’t want to go, I must erase your human memories.” Irene rests her head on Joy’s shoulder. It’s odd, yet familiar, like the girl in the sequences. Maybe she’s trapped in this fantasy, cursed to dream.

 

“Then take them.”

 



AN: Here’s part 2 of the joyrene reincarnation au. I hope you guys enjoyed it. If there are other anime/video game aus you would like to see in the future, please comment and let me know. I’m open to ideas. 

 

If you like this oneshot collection, please consider checking out my other works. Their themes are based on fantasy and of course, video games. One of them was born from LOL’s Spirit Guard Udyr and the other one is a loose Skyrim au. They’re ongoing full fics (my babies) which I would love to have more feedback on.

 

Thank you for reading and commenting.