Chapter 3

Only one

The skating rink was only a couple blocks away. If it had been warmer, they could have walked. It didn't take long to find a parking space, and they were quickly lined up at the rental counter.

 

Jihyo laughed. "Of course I remember. I think it was the last time we got along."

 

"Well, then it sounds like a good way to start new." Sana gave her shoe size to the rental clerk, then took the skates.

 

Jihyo did the same, then they moved to a bench. "I want to, start new."

 

Sana nodded. "You think this might become a regular thing? Me and you? Going out on, like, dates?"

 

"I would like to," Jihyo said as she finished lacing up her boots. "Would you?"

 

"Well, this one's not even over, yet. What if something outrageous happens?" Sana smiled at her. "I'll take a chance, though, and say yes." Her own skates were laced tightly and she was ready to brave the ice. "Let's see if we get through this without any skinned knees." She stood up and reached for Jihyo's hand, as was quickly already becoming a habit.

 

"If you get one, I'll kiss it better," Jihyo said easily, taking her hand and standing up. "Come on, it's been a while for me. I might ."

 

"What? Did you just admit you are not great at something?" Sana led her to the ice and carefully eased onto it. She hadn't been skating in a while but, being an athlete, she seemed to manage her balance just fine.

 

Jihyo followed her onto the ice and took a moment to steady herself. "There is a lot I'm not fantastic at." She admitted. "Bowling."

 

"How can you not be good at bowling? It's... bowling." Sana picked up a little speed, pulling Jihyo with her. "You doing okay?"

 

"Yup." She moved easily alongside Sana. "And I just... am not good at it. I don't know. Jae tried to teach me but it didn't really work."

 

The blonde laughed. "That's because Jae's bowling method is based on chucking the ball as hard as he can down the lane."

 

"Well, that explains it." Jihyo said, smiling. She sped up a little.

 

They glided across the ice together, both of them seemingly improved since the first grade. "So, what's the second date going to be?"

 

"Is it my turn to pick?" Jihyo asked, smiling.

 

"I figure it's only fair." They skated past a group of kids. One of them zipped by, really close to them, forcing Sana closer to Jihyo.

 

Jihyo automatically put her arm around Sana's waist to steady her. "How do you feel about picnics?"

 

Sana smiled, at both the question and the newfound contact. "I fully support them."

 

Jihyo grinned, her hip. "Good. Just checking."

 

Another kid zoomed past them, forcing the girls close to the wall. Jihyo bumped into it first, then Sana fell against Jihyo, so they were face to face. "Sorry." The blonde bit her lip, embarrassed that they'd just collided. "You okay?"

 

Both of Jihyo's hands landed on Sana's hips and she held the blonde to her. "Yeah. Are you?" Her voice was a little lower than it was just a moment ago.

 

Sana's eyes were focused on Jihyo's lips. "I..." She leaned forward and kissed her.

 

Jihyo kissed her back eagerly, her eyes fluttering closed.

 

Wow. This was... wow. That was what kept rolling through Sana's mind. It wasn't even that the kiss itself was mind blowing. It was more the fact that she was kissing Jihyo. And Jihyo was kissing back.

 

Jihyo pulled the blonde a little closer, sliding her across the ice. She wrapped her arms around Sana's waist and traced her tongue over the blonde's lips.

 

Hands on Jihyo's shoulders, Sana pressed herself against the other girl, lost in the kiss. Which, of course, was when another kid (the same kid) blew past them again, hitting Sana's skate and knocking her to the ice.

 

Jihyo was brought down with the blonde, landing on top of her. "Oh god! Sana, are you okay?"

 

"Ow. Yes." Sana gazed up at her, sheepishly. "But, the ice is really, really cold. You're warm, though."

 

"Oh!" Jihyo flushed and tried to detangle herself from Sana so they could both get up. Bare legs rubbed against bare legs and skirts shifted around.

 

Once upright, Sana grabbed the wall for needed support, from both the fall and the bare leg touching. "Once again, I wipe out on the ice. It's probably a good thing I went with soccer and not hockey, huh?"

 

"Soccer is a much better choice. And I think it would have been figure staking." Jihyo was flushed and tucking her hair back nervously.

 

"Maybe in another life, we're The Cutting Edge 4: Going for the Gay." Sana lost her footing for a moment, and grabbed onto Jihyo's arm to steady herself. "I might be done with skating. I also think I'll have a pretty big bruise waiting for me in the morning."

 

Jihyo pulled her closer. "Come on, we can get some hot cocoa," she offered, holding onto Sana as they moved off the ice.

 

Sana carefully maneuvered to the bench and pulled her skates off. Once her boots were on, she felt much more stable. "Okay. I think I'm good with waiting at least another two years before I get back in the rink."

 

Jihyo rubbed her back softly, once her own shoes were on. "I'm sorry..."

 

"Don't be. I think I'd rather be off the ice with you, right now." Sana smiled at her. "Hot cocoa sounds like a much cozier plan, anyway." Jihyo's hand on her back felt really, really nice.

 

"Come on, you grab a booth and I'll get the cocoa."

 

Sana followed her into the snack bar area and slid into a clean booth. Well, cleanish. She rubbed a napkin across the table while she waited. So, far, things were going really well, even with the on-ice collision. She caught Jihyo's eye while the brunette waited in line, which made her smile.

 

Jihyo smiled back, then placed her order. She moved back to the booth, then hesitated for a moment. She sat and scooted into the same side of the booth that Sana was in, setting down the two drinks. Dark eyes turned to hazel. "Hey."

 

"Hey." The blonde wrapped her cold hands around one of the hot cups. She was glad Jihyo sat on the same side because she really wanted to be close to her. "Thanks."

 

The brunette nodded. "Sure." She took a slow sip of hers. One side of her body was pressed against Sana's.

 

"Tell me something else about you. That I don't know." Under the table, Sana's leg shifted and rubbed against Jihyo's.

 

"I think it's your turn to tell me something." Jihyo replied, her eyelids fluttered a little, her leg moving with Sana's.

 

"Is it? Oh, okay..." She tried to think of something, but it was hard to concentrate when her attention was on how smooth Jihyo's leg felt against hers. "I have a love/hate relationship with raisins. I either totally want them or can't stand them. Never in between."

 

"That is super weird, but really cute." Jihyo's leg against Sana's was making her forget things and sound giggly. "Okay, me. I hate nuts. All kinds. Just do not like them."

 

"So, probably, together we should avoid trail mix. And certain cookies." Sana hooked her foot around Jihyo's ankle. 

 

Jihyo let out a laugh at that, her shoulders shaking a little. "I'm intense." She looked up at Sana. "I hope you can handle that."

 

That very thought make Sana's stomach flip. "I'm looking forward to it. It's... one of the things I like best about you. You don't back down."

 

"Good." Jihyo said, her hand resting on Sana's thigh. "'Cause I'm intense about pretty much everything." She gave her leg a squeeze.

 

Sana almost spilled her cocoa. "What, um, did you want to do now? After this?" Her fingers lightly traced over Jihyo's leg through the fabric of the dress.

 

"Maybe we can just... I don't know. Drive around and talk?" Jihyo suggested.

 

"Sure. You... wanna go, now?" Sana's foot was still looped over Jihyo's ankle. She kind of didn't want to move. But she knew if they were alone, things could get even more interesting.

 

Jihyo's hand slid up some. "If you want to." Her voice was a little lower than normal. "I would really like to go someplace where I can kiss you again."

 

"Me too." Sana nudged her with her elbow, a cue to slide out of the booth. 

 

She started out the week a little nervous, unsure of how all this would go over. And now, Jihyo wanted to find a place to make out. This was definitely working out well. 

 

She just hoped she wouldn't screw it up, somehow.