Chapter 1

Only one

It started on Monday.

 

Just a box of those chalky candy hearts with the little sayings on them. On the back, where it said "TO" and "FROM" someone had written, "Park Jihyo" and "?". There was a star drawn after Jihyo's name.

 

It was taped to the front of her locker.

 

Jihyo spent about three minutes staring at her locker, not sure what to do. It looked like it wasn't tampered with. Jihyo pulled it down, looking it over. She chewed her bottom lip and looked it over. She looked around the hallway, smiled, and started eating the candy as she moved to class.

 

Tuesday, it was a small stuffed bear that held a little heart in his hands. On the heart, it said, "You're very special." It was sitting in her seat when she got to homeroom. Nobody else in the class claimed to have seen anyone put it there. And they all looked a little scared when they were asked about it.

 

Jihyo carried the bear around all day, looking to see if she could get a reaction from anyone. She tried Bam, but he seemed confused and a little jealous. So she tried Jackson who laughed in her face. Out of desperation, she looked at Dowoon and she swore he almost fainted.

 

On Wednesday, there was just a simple note stuck in her locker. "Dear Jihyo, I kind of realized some people might think this is creepy, and I didn't want you to think it was a stalker. I totally promise I'm not".  It was typed, so there was no handwriting to match it to, but there was a happy face drawn at the bottom.

 

Jihyo was so confused. She sat through Glee club, looking at the other members. Something about the note... the wording made it sound like a, well. A girl. She watched Nayeon for a while, but Nayeon was basically in Jeongyeon's lap, so no. Probably not Nayeon.

 

Thursday's surprise was definitely more personal. An envelope appeared on top of the piano in the choir room, half an hour before Glee started, the time Jihyo usually showed up to get some extra practice in. Inside was mix cd of songs covered by various rock bands. There was some basic cover art along with the tracklisting. And the title of the mix? Things You Didn't Think Could Work Together.

 

As soon as Jihyo got home, she listened to the cd for four hours straight. She was humming the songs the next day in school.

 

Friday passed without any special gifts showing up anywhere. However, since Valentine's Day was on the weekend, there were candy grams being delivered throughout the school day and Jihyo got one every single class period. They all each only had a single word message. The first five added up to say, "Will you be my Valentine?" The sixth one read, "If yes, meet me at the public library after school." And the last one said, "And if you show up and see me and change your mind, that's okay. I'll try to get over it. Just let me down easy." The paper was so small that the message wrapped around to the backside.

 

Jihyo showed up at the library, anxious to see who it was. She was bouncing on her toes and looking around.

 

Sana sat in the reading area, hidden behind a copy of a hardcover novel, the title of which she didn't even know, because she hadn't bothered to look at it.

 

Jihyo looked around anxious. Then her eyes saw someone she recognized, and her face fell. Why? Why did it have to be her? Anyone else... but really. Why in the world would Minatozaki Sana want to be her Valentine?

 

The blonde watched as Jihyo moved right past her to stop in the center of the library. Hey eyes followed to where the brunette was looking. Oh, crap. She's going to think it's another person. All that work and the first thing she does is assume it's the crazy girl? Maybe this wasn't the best idea. Still, Sana wanted to take credit for her work. "Jihyo," she said, softly, as she rose from her seat.

 

Jihyo turned and saw her then let out a sigh. "Oh thank god, I was scared there for a second." She paused. "Really?"

 

Sana nodded. "Does that mean you say yes? Or are you just making sure before you reject me. I can handle it, you know, if you say no." She bit her lip. "I think."

 

Jihyo stepped closer, her eyes dancing. "Can you?"

 

"Yeah, sure. It's fine. I get it. I was just taking a chance. And now I know." She sighed and looked down at the book in her hand. "I should probably go put this back."

 

Jihyo put her hand on Sana's hip. "It was a good risk."

 

"Really?" was Sana's reply. She honestly hadn't known what to expect. There had certainly been hope that everything would go the way she wanted. But the choice of the library as the meeting place was always a safety measure, in case Jihyo decided to yell at her.

 

"Really." Jihyo smiled a little."Happy Valentine's Day." She flushed. "I actually... have something for you." She reached into her purse and pulled out a small box, handing it to Sana.

 

"You... got me something?" Sana reached out and took the box. "Why would you even... unless..." They'd been friendly this last year, maybe even actual friend. Still, Sana was convinced that her crush on Jihyo was just that. A crush. She'd been taking a big chance with this whole secret Valentine thing. There were times, when she'd catch Jihyo looking at her, but she never knew if she was just reading into the glances.

 

Jihyo smiled more. "Because I wanted to give you something. And you were like, avoiding me all week so I never got a chance to give it to you." She was excited. "Open it!"

 

They were in the middle of the public library and Jihyo was giving her a Valentine's gift. Sana was pretty sure this could just be come kind of dream. "Okay, okay." She carefully opened the box.

 

Jihyo looked eagerly as Sana opened it. Inside was a glass flower.

 

"I wasn't avoiding you, by the way, I was trying to be mysterious," Sana said, as she pulled the box open. Her eyes fell on what as inside. "It's beautiful." She looked up at Jihyo. "What... why?"

 

"Glass flowers don't die." Jihyo said simply. "They last." She looked at her. "Do you like it?"

 

"I love it." Sana smiled softly at her. "So, I know Valentine's Day is technically on Sunday, but could I maybe take you out tonight?"

 

"I'm all yours." Jihyo said with a grin.

 

"Around six?" Sana asked.

 

"What should I wear?" Jihyo asked, bouncing on her toes.

 

"You mean other than this sweater?" Sana teased.

 

Jihyo stuck her tongue out at her. "Maybe I have plans after all."

 

Sana smirked at her. "You'd pass up an evening with Minatozaki Sana due to one minor insult?" Her face softened. "I like the sweater, anyway,."

 

"I can wear something nice. Where are you taking me?" The brunette replied, eager.

 

"Well, the community center is putting up a production of Hamilton, but it's probably rude just go for the purpose of heckling from the back row. Still, we could do that, if you want. I was thinking we could get dinner. There's that new Italian place over by the mall." She winked at the brunette.

 

Jihyo laughed at that. "See you at six then." She gave her a soft smile, then headed towards the door.

 

Sana watched her leave, then relaxed once she was gone. She realized she'd been holding her breath almost the entire time.