To The Rescue

Alight

 

 

 

Ch.10 

To The Rescue 

 

 

 

 

Mino arrived at the site a mere ten minutes after getting into the taxi. He called Jinwoo who said he was flying there now with Seunghoon, but despite Jinwoo urging him to wait was there no way he could just stand there any longer. 

The building looked fancy enough, all glass and with a reception desk placed in a huge hall leading to an elevator at the middle. 

A young man was sitting by the desk looking at his computer. Mino didn’t feel like playing nice, but asked as nicely as he could manage if there was any important visitors there that day. 

Surprisingly enough had the receptionist admitted that some tall guy had stopped by and been greeted by the boss in person, but when Mino asked if the guy left again the receptionist couldn’t say because of his long lunch break. 

    "So where can I find this boss of yours?" he asked, trying to sound casual. He would have to get the answers he wanted from higher places than the doorkeeper. 

    "You need to have an appointment" the receptionist said cooly.

    "Get me one then" he replied anger rising quickly in his chest. He didn’t have time to play around with some idiot while Seungyoon was possibly laying unconscious somewhere. The guy simply shook his head at his request and so he decided it was time to show him he was serious. 

    "Your boss, got something, someonevery important to me. And I plan on getting them back. So lead the way.. Or i'll make sure things get really hot around here" as he said the last part he let fire surge to his hand. 

He placed it on the cool polished wooden surface of the reception desk and felt the wood melt away under his touch. Heavy smoke rose around his hand until soon his hand burst through the desk having burned a hand shaped hole through the solid wood.

 

He never thought he would have it in him to threaten anyone, ever, but here he was, getting some poor guy to run up ahead to the elevator because of something he had done. At least no one had been harmed, except the desk.

The guy seemed beyond nervous as they stepped into the elevator, but still muttered that he had read about him in the news. How he had put out the fire in that building. 

    "I could just as easy set this whole place on fire, so get moving" Mino said keeping up his tough act, but feeling more nervous than he would like to admit to himself. 

The elevator opened at the top floor just then and the receptionist sprinted ahead. He dodged a flying fist by the second, bowing down low as a guy in a dark suit came at him as soon as he stepped out of the elevator. 

    "I don’t want to hurt any of you" he said shaking his head at the ridiculous attempts of attacking him as another guy came at him from the side. He pushed them both backwards into the elevator and put a hand on it so the metal melted, closing it shut. 

The receptionist stood shaking at the end of the hall as he walked up to him. 

    "Just show me to your boss, or even better Seungyoon and I’ll be on my way" he said calmly. 

The receptionist shook his head and sprinted towards the door labeled fire escape. He found that a little amusing, but decided to let the guy go. It wasn’t as if he was actually planning on setting the place on fire. Just then his intercom burst to life and he heard Seunghoon talk in his ear. 

    "We have arrived, the signal is coming from beneath us" he said in a stressed voice. 

    "The princesses are always in the dungeons aren’t they" Seunghoon continued, but no one laughed. 

    "Don’t think Seungyoon would appreciate that one" Jinwoo said unamused. 

Making a quick turn he ran back to the elevator, forced it open and threw the security guys out on to the floor. He made sure to grab their guns for good measure before hitting the basement button in the elevator. 

 

He met up with Seunghoon and Jinwoo whom had easily lied themselves in claiming to be reinforcements to deal with the crazy arsonist. They found it more than a little amusing that their lie had worked on the poor woman standing by the desk in place of the previous one whom Mino had threatened to go with him. 

    "How can you go about things laughing like that" Mino grumbled as they made their way down a poorly lit corridor. 

    "I highly doubt they would kill him, we just need to find him" Jinwoo said after apologizing for laughing. 

 

Walking around the silent halls underground he felt more and more uneasy. There would be no flying away out of this maze and setting things on fire would be a really bad idea too. Seunghoon seemed to have been thinking similar thoughts because he said: 

    "Once we get Seungyoon I’ll put up my shield and we’ll just run out, knocking back anyone who tries anything" 

They both approved of this plan although Mino found it like usual to be a bit too simple. Would these supposed enemies just bounce off or what? Well, whatever they would do they would have to improvise when the time came. For now he just wanted to find Seungyoon and get out of there. 

    "And never let him out of my sight again" he muttered under his breath as someone came bursting out through a door on their left. 

It was two more men in suits, these guys didn’t look as serious or as bulky as the previous ones he had run into. He simply knocked them back into the room they came from and touched the door handle so it glowed. When they touched it on their side he heard them scream. 

    "Idiots" Jinwoo mumbled shaking his head. Mino twisted the handle upwards and pulled on the metal doorframe for good measure and then they were on their way. 

 

At the end of the hall they encountered a huge room with walls made of glass. A huge light well shone down from above at a Japanese maple tree placed in the center of the room, completely encased by glass walls.  Exchanging one look with Jinwoo and Seunghoon he found that they were all thinking the same thing, they had found their emergency exit. 

Now they just needed to find their prince. 

 

A violent ruckus could be heard up ahead, someone was arguing and soon a door flew open. A woman came out holding a gun aiming right at them. 

Jinwoo reacted right away, lightning bursting ahead. Mino watched as the lightning hit the woman following up her arms, to her head and then on to the wall behind her. The attack made her drop the gun before even a single bullet was fired. 

    "Stay behind me, i’ll put up my shields in case there are more guns" Seunghoon said and went up ahead of them. The purple orb flying up around them as they went. 

Stepping passed the woman unconscious on the floor they walked into the room. Several men was inside, weapons on hand, behind them was a bed. He couldn’t tell who was laying in it, but assuming it was Seungyoon he felt the need to end things quickly. 

He put out a hand, but Jinwoo grabbed it before he could fire. 

    "You’ll kill them" he mumbled. "Let me deal with them. You get Seungyoon" 

Nodding he stood back watching Jinwoo attack one after another, they were all firing at Seunghoon’s orb, but the bullets immediately slowed down when they hit the purple light as if they had hit indestructible rubber. 

It was no trouble for Jinwoo to knock them out one after another because they all kept firing at Seunghoon. 

When there was only one guy left they grabbed him and pushed him to the ground. They wanted answers and doubting that Seungyoon would be in any shape to answer them they figured the balding yelling man would do. 

Jinwoo and Seunghoon held the man in place while he ran over to the bed. He immediately recognized Seungyoon’s battle suit by the colors, but something was off. 

    "It’s not him" he said despair clutching at his throat making it hard to get the words out. 

    "What do you mean it’s not him?!" Seunghoon burst out, almost releasing his hold on the man he was keeping pressed against the floor. 

    "They put someone else in his suit and knocked him out" he explained, turning the man in the bed completely for them to see. 

 

Now they all switched their attention to the man on the floor. He walked over to him, shaking in anger he squatted down to make sure the man could see him properly. 

    "Tell me where he is or you will meet a fate a lot worse than theirs" he said feeling himself glow with raw emotion. 

He put his palms to the floor beneath him and watch as black smoke rose up around him. The tiles were practically melting under his touch, turning into something that looked more like lava than anything else.  

Watching as the orange glowing blobs on the floor grew larger and larger by the second the man coughed at the smoke surrounding his face.

    "The boss took him with him, back to Tokyo. His son is terminally ill with cancer" the man said with a trembling voice. 

They exchanged a few grim looks between them. Tokyo.. They were going to need more information than that. 

 

In the end the man had given them several addresses and the name of both his boss  and his kid. In exchange had they tied him up and triggered the fire alarm, before shattering the glass of the light well making a quick exit. 

    "Can you believe we’ll have to go to Tokyo to get him" Jinwoo mumbled as he dropped him off a short walk from the airport. 

    "I’ll go back for Seunghoon, we’ll take the jet and we’ll have him back with us soon" he said suddenly hesitating. Putting one arm on Mino's shoulder he said "Don’t do anything stupid, we’ll go together and we will get him back" 

 

Walking along the sidewalk leading up the the airport departures he wondered exactly what kind of stupid thing he could possibly do to save Seungyoon faster. It wasn’t as if he could successfully hijack a plane or anything. 

The only thing that helped him keep it together was the thought that Seungyoon definitely was more worth to those people alive than dead, so they just had to find him. He was already putting in the address the man had given them when Jinwoo flew down beside him arriving with Seunghoon. 

     "It’s pretty central in Tokyo, so we need to figure out how to move about without drawing too much attention to ourselves" Jinwoo said looking over Mino’s shoulder. 

    "A taxi would do" Seunghoon said simply, walking ahead of them. 

He and Jinwoo exchanged a glance before following behind Seunghoon. Seunghoon was right, no point in over complicating things. His main worry was that the guard back in the city had alerted their boss that they were coming, he then could be taking Seungyoon anywhere and they would be left clueless. 

 

 

They arrived in Tokyo one short flight later. They had three different locations to check, the boss guy's home, the hospital of the kid and Tokyo office of the company. Deciding to split up because of their worry that Seungyoon would be moved they all got in different taxis at the airport. 

Mino checked the news while the bright lights of central Tokyo moved by slowly outside the car window. Several monsters had attacked major cities around the world the last 24 hours, but they were in no position to help with how things were right now. 

 

Feeling slightly bitter at the world he didn’t feel like helping anyone right now anyway. At least Japan had dealt with their own monster invasion without involving them. He wondered for a moment if they could hang around to try to find out how they had done it once Seungyoon had been saved. 

His phone rang then, it was Jinwoo calling. 

    "No one is home at this address. It looks lived in though so the guy might have told the truth" Jinwoo said. 

    "Okay, two more places to check. No news from Seunghoon at the hospital yet?" he asked ready to give the taxi driver new instructions if needed. 

    "Nope, nothing" Jinwoo replied. "I’ll start moving towards the city to meet up with you there" he continued.

They had agreed easily enough on who would go where seeing as Jinwoo could just fly up and check the home location. Seunghoon was a cheeky charmer and could easily lie his way around the hospital. Mino had already done well on his own at one commercial building, surely he could do it again. 

 

The taxi pulled up in front of a cooperate plaza with a black glass building at the center. He paid the guy and got out. It was raining heavily and people were rushing out around him, covered by big umbrellas. 

It was after office hours, but that didn’t mean there would be no one in the building. The Japanese were well known for their work ethics. He would have to be clever about this. 

He rushed towards the stream of people hurrying out into the rain. He had already spotted a suitable target and just as the man opened his umbrella Mino bumped into the man making him drop all his things. An ID card fell to the ground along with everything else and he picked it up quickly while handing the man his umbrella with the other. 

 

Walking calmly into the building he entered the elevator using the ID card to trigger the buttons into life. He would assume that the boss stayed at the top floor and he would probably prefer to keep his family close, but not so close that business associates would bump into them. He pushed the button for the second highest floor and waited. 

It was thirty floors to this high rise and he felt it in his stomach as the elevator pulled him quickly upwards. 

He kept wondering if Seungyoon had gone there voluntarily, or if they had forced him. It might have been a mixture of both. A kid with cancer could probably be saved easily by him and he wouldn’t mind helping either, but he wouldn’t just leave his phone or his suit so there had definitely been some force in the picture. 

Stepping out on to the landing he sent Jinwoo a quick text seeing as there was no one there telling him where he was. 

He could hear soft murmurs of people talking somewhere down the hall. Following the sound he soon found himself standing in front of a door with a small ray of light streaming out along with hushed voices talking. 

Taking a big breath readying himself for a potential fight he opened the door. 

 

The first thing he saw as the door flew open was a hospital bed with a child in it. A woman screamed startled, but except from that was there no attacks. Scanning the room he quickly spotted Seungyoon sitting on a chair, one hand handcuffed to a metal railing on the wall probably normally used for therapeutic purposes. 

Walking over to Seungyoon without even acknowledging the others in the room he asked if he was okay. He couldn’t quite take his eyes off the kid in the bed though, because it was oozing black particles out of its mouth and nose with seemingly every breath it took. 

    "Thats not cancer" he muttered to Seungyoon, melting the shackles attached to the metal bar in his palm. 

    "You are right, it’s not cancer" a man spoke up behind him. Turning he saw a tall thin man standing up and walking over to the child in the bed. 

    "He saved this whole country, but now no one can save him. Except maybe you" the man said turning towards Seungyoon. 

Mino looked from the kid to Seungyoon and then back to the kid. There was a chance Seungyoon probably could save him, but at a great cost judging by the state of the kid. 

    "He absorbs things. That boy, is really powerful, so powerful that one of those creatures sought him out. Well, he absorbed it appearing completely unharmed. they used him to remove the threat all over Japan once they saw how he easily removed one" Seungyoon began to explain. 

    "So it wasn’t mechas after all then" he mumbled thinking about Seunghoon’s theory. 

Seungyoon shook his head and got to his feet. He walked over to the child in the bed and motioned for him to get over there too. 

    "I absorb things too as you know, it’s part of my healing skills. Dealing with this on my own would probably kill me too though" he said eyeing the man on the opposite side of the bed. 

There was some obvious tension between the man and Seungyoon as he said the last part. As if he had tried to explain this more than once already.  

    "With the help of my partner however" Seungyoon said, looking at Mino a small smile creeping onto his lips as he spoke. 

He liked the way Seungyoon had said it even if only the two of them knew to the full extent the meaning behind it. Seungyoon reached out towards him then and he took a minute to bring up his power to a soft glow before grabbing Seungyoon’s hand in his. 

 

Soon the blue mist of Seungyoon’s healing powers began filling the room, mixing with the black particles that had gathered around them and above them, filling the ceiling above until it was almost covered in darkness. 

He heard the woman behind them sighing in what he could only assume was relief. The blue mist was surrounding them all now and he was sure they all could feel it like he did. Calming, soothing and beyond beautiful to watch. 

 

The child in the bed still looked to be sleeping, but the particles flew out at a much faster speed now. Wondering if it was working he looked over to Seungyoon, he was focusing hard on the child, but there was no sign of the cracks yet so Mino could only assume that he was doing his part right. 

The scene almost looked liked something out of an exorcist movie. The black particles was bigger and surrounded with smoke now, looking nastier than ever. 

    "I need to try something a bit different" Seungyoon muttered, getting impatient by the look of things. 

Seungyoon let go of his hand and put both hands on the kids chest and forehead. Mino had experienced this himself, but he had never been knocked out cold by overconsumption of alien ghosts though. 

    "You know what to do if things go bad" Seungyoon said and he could only assume he meant that things started cracking up again. Swallowing hard he nodded. 

The entire room was completely filled with the blue now, but so was the dark particles. Suddenly he noticed how the particles started forming a shape, big chunks creeping down from above. Not wanting to break Seungyoon’s focus he readied himself, watching something manifest itself on the floor in front of them. 

He had expected it to be another one eyed monster, but that was probably a bit naive of him. Instead it was like a shadow of a man, he didn’t want to give it time to complete it’s assembly fully and so he told the parents to get over to the bed with Seungyoon before turning his full attention to the shadow again. 

It was the same height as himself now, but growing bigger with every second. He wanted to attack it, but worried he would accidentally set the building on fire.  Instead he brought the heat in his hands up to what he had used to melt metal previously and walked determined towards the shadow. 

He would have to touch it to harm it.

 

It would be lying if he had said that he weren’t afraid in the moment his hand touched the creature, but his determination helped him keep focus on the task. 

There was nothing firm to grab ahold of, but the particles was crumbling as they came near his hands so he figured it was working. He increased the power slowly, watching his flames dissolve everything coming close enough into nothingness.

The shadow had stopped growing now, deciding it was now or never he fired. The blue flames swallowed the black completely leaving only a outline against the floor where the thing had appeared moments before. 

 

It was then he felt it, the floor was shaking, hard. Turning back towards Seungyoon he saw that the boy was awake now, wide eyed and probably really scared from the scene he had awoken to. 

    "An earthquake?" the man asked, watching the fluorescent lights blink with the violent shakes. 

    "I hope it’s only that" Seungyoon said, staggering as he got to his feet. 

    "Either way we need to get out of here" Mino said hurrying over to Seungyoon to support him. Small cracks had already began appearing all over, but when he tried to mention it Seungyoon only waved his hand before mouthing hurry.

His intercom sprung into life then. 

    "You guys better get out fast. I’m on the roof. Get up here" it was Jinwoo who seemed to have abandoned the stay low strategy which meant things were going south with their plan. 

    "Seunghoon?" he asked making his way down the hall. The family was following behind with their son in a wheelchair. 

    "What is the fastest way to the roof?" he asked looking for the fire escape or something leading up there. The man looked confused, but didn’t question him. He ran up ahead and around the corner. 

He held the fire escape doors open revealing the stairs. Seungyoon let go of him motioning towards the kid. 

    "Help them" he said and began walking up the stairs. 

Picking up the kid from the wheelchair he didn’t look like he wanted to be picked up much, but he hurried along after Seungyoon either way. 

 

They were up on the roof within minutes. The cool air felt like a nice change to the clammy office building, but he noticed right away that something was wrong. 

The ground was still shaking and now out in the open he could hear the low grumbling from the depths telling him it was definitely not a normal earthquake. 

 

Jinwoo was standing on the roof, his wings out looking like the angel he was against the moonlit night sky. 

    "I’ll get them out of here and then we’ll have to figure out what to do with that" Jinwoo said pointing down towards the ground beneath the building.

They watched Jinwoo fly of with the father first and then coming back from the mother and her son. A small part of him didn’t want them to get away so easily, they were the ones who had kidnapped Seungyoon and brought him out of the country against his will after all. 

This wasn’t the time to be petty however and leaning carefully over the edge of the building he could see something moving in the newly appeared crack in the ground down on the road. 

    "There is something down there alright" he told Seungyoon who was leaning against the wall next to the door where they had emerged moments before. 

    "How are you feeling?" he asked walking up to Seungyoon. He heard Jinwoo on the intercom saying he was going to get Seunghoon before getting back to them. 

    "I’m good now that you are here" Seungyoon said smiling a little. He was practically glowing in the moonlight, but the cracks on his skin also became a lot easier to spot illuminated in such a way.

Standing on the shaking building hearing earthquake warnings being called out in the distance he had a feeling their next fight would be the worst one yet. The only thing he cared about in that moment was Seungyoon though. 

 

Closing the last distance between them with one long step he put both hands on Seungyoon’s face wishing he could heal him like Seungyoon had healed him so many times before. Instead he leaned in for a kiss. 

How he had longed for them to be together again couldn’t be described with words. The way they both melted into the kiss, forever wanting to be closer, letting out soft moans into the others lips.. 

    "Don’t disappear like that again, please" he said not quite breaking the kiss. 

    "I wont" Seungyoon replied kissing him once again. 

    "I love you, you know" he whispered pulling away again. After everything he had been through the last 24 hours it needed to be said. 

    "I know. I love you too" 

The world stood still for him in that moment, despite the actual world shaking hard beneath them. He made sure to capture it clearly in his mind, to keep forever. This was what he would be fighting for. This happiness that only Seungyoon could bring him. 

    "Let’s try to patch you up a bit before we go down there" he said, brining both hands to a soft glow, holding them both out in front of him, palms up. 

Seungyoon put both his hand in his. Without blinking he began absorbing his powers until all the cracks was gone. 

 

He felt a gust of wind behind him moments later telling him Jinwoo and Seunghoon was there and he was about to ask who would be going down first, when they heard a grueling screech erupt from the void bellow. 

A harsh wind could be heard and then the moonlight was gone. Instead a huge dark shape had arisen blocking out the night sky completely. 

They watched as a single red eye opened in the dark shape in front of them, gazing directly down at where they were standing. 

    "And so we fight again" he said stepping into line with the other three. 

 

 

 


Authors note: God that creature is huge.. Towering above them, and they are up on a 30 floor high building. Gotta come up with some new tactics again won’t they?

I just found the most perfect song for this story T^T let me show you the lyrics and you will know what I mean: 

Fire on fire would normally kill us
With this much desire, together, we're winners
They say that we're out of control and some say we're sinners
But don't let them ruin our beautiful rhythms
'Cause when you unfold me and tell me you love me
And look in my eyes
You are perfection, my only direction

It's fire on fire, mm

It's fire on fire

When we fight, we fight like lions
But then we love and feel the truth
We lose our minds in a city of roses
We won't abide by any rules

Pretty amazing eh? It’s Fire On Fire by Sam Smith. Go listen to the song in the story playlist or on youtube

I’m happy that I got this up today, sorry for the wait. I hope you liked it ^-^ ❤️ Let me know what you thought of it here or on twitter (@Eiryia)