A Perfect Day

Alight

 

 

Ch. 12 

A Perfect Day 

 

 

 

 

They had indeed gone home that night and the next couple of weeks had been chaotic. Being celebrated as the new saviors of the globe was a bit too much to take in for all of them, but they had done a few interviews and left the rest of the explaining to others. 

There were no camera recordings except from a helicopter circling the site when the monster first had appeared, but the healing scene at the square was very well documented. Half of the crowd got working phones with cameras and half of those again had made sure to use them. 

And so at the end of the day was Seungyoon the one celebrated as the main hero with his incredible lightshow of a mass healing act. Mino didn’t know how to feel about this, not because he was jealous, but because more than ever did he fear that someone might come and attempt to take Seungyoon away. 

 

Watching his sleeping boyfriend next to him in bed he sighed. How many rescue operations would he have to set out on during their lifetime together? He’d rather not think about it, but one thing he was sure of, he would go get him back every single time, no matter the effort required. 

    "Might have to put a tracker on you though" he mumbled, brushing a strand of hair out of Seungyoon’s face. 

Seungyoon pouted a little in his sleep before mumbling something he couldn’t make sense of. 

    "Right right" he replied regardless of not understanding and rolled out of bed. Today was going to be their day. No stress, no work, no nothing. 

 

That had been the plan, but because he was stupid enough to open his email while waiting for his coffee to finish brewing he saw that tonight was the opening of the new exhibit at work. 

Smiling to himself he wondered if it might not be so bad after all. Maybe he should invite the other two as well. The media coverage he had found incredibly annoying up until now might actually be used for something good. 

He wrote a message in their group chat asking if everyone was free tonight. 

    "You know I am" he heard from behind him a couple of minutes later.

 

Turning he saw Seungyoon holding his phone with the group chat open, rubbing sleep from his eyes. He was only wearing his white shirt and underwear swaying dangerously against the doorframe. 

    "I smelled coffee" he mumbled making his way over to the kitchen. 

Handing over the second mug of coffee to Seungyoon he looked at the group chat. Jinwoo had already replied while Seunghoon still was marked as unread. 

    "The new exhibit at the gallery I worked at is opening tonight. They invited me to come. I picked out all the pieces after all" he explained taking a sip of his coffee. 

He was still the main curator there, but with everything that had happened weren’t he sure how all of that was going to work out. He might just give it up and stick to painting until the next threat to human existence turned up. 

    "I’d love to go, if you want to" Seungyoon said while grimacing slightly at his coffee. "Too hot!" he complained and put it down on the counter. Mino knew this was a facade, Seungyoon weren’t really fan of black coffee. 

Pulling out the milk from the fridge Mino held it out towards him, arching one eyebrow half teasingly, half judging him for ruining perfectly good coffee. 

    "Thank you" Seungyoon murmured taking the milk in his hand, but Mino held onto it. Feeling a smirk spread across his lips he pointed to his face. 

    "Kiss first" he said smugly. 

Seungyoon sighed dramatically and shook his head at him reluctantly, but he still took one step closer and kissed him quickly on the lips. 

     "Love you" Mino murmured and kissed him back before letting go of the carton. 

 

They took their time getting ready, Seungyoon went home and picked out an outfit for the event the same evening while Mino double checked the time for their table reservations at a restaurant nearby that he had made the night before. Seungyoon had suggested they’d invite the other two as well, but he didn’t feel like it. Today was their day. 

 

When they finally felt like heading out for breakfast was it really more time for lunch than breakfast. 

    "There is a reason the term brunch was invented" Seungyoon said and pulled on his jacket after looking at his watch. 

    "Yeah, perfect for procrastinating slow asses like us" he replied putting on his own coat. 

They were just walking out into the hall outside the apartment when they met the old woman with her dog. 

    "Better grab an umbrella boys if you are heading out" she said just as her dog shook its fur spreading water everywhere. 

Exchanging one glance he stepped back inside and picked up the one umbrella he owned. 

 

    "If I’d known your umbrella was this small I’d go up and get one of my own" Seungyoon complained while hunching down slightly to not get prodded in the head by the umbrella. It was a tiny umbrella alright, but all the more reason to stick closer together Mino thought. 

Sliding one arm around the small of Seungyoon’s back underneath his coat jacket he smiled cheekily before giving him a small kiss on the cheek. 

They had made a deal with the janitor to get the key to the basement exit and so they could sneak out and around the buildings without the ever camping press discovering them going out. Making a short detour around the neighboring block they were soon on their way to their favorite café. 

 

 

Settling for a table in the back of the shop they ordered their usual and sat down to wait. 

    "Best morning in a long while" he murmured as his black coffee arrived still steaming before them on the table. 

    "Mhm" Seungyoon agreed already sipping on his coffee. 

A message ticked in from Seunghoon asking about the dresscode for the evening to which he just replied suit. He really looked forward to bringing them along to the event, these kind of happenings at work were usually really successful and he couldn’t see why they would be this time. 

    "Whats your plan with the gallery" Seungyoon asked peering over at his phone. 

    "I’d like to continue if I can. It’s not like we’ll have to save the world every day" he replied putting his phone away. 

Seungyoon nodded silently. 

    "What about you?" he asked turning slightly in his seat to get a better view of his boyfriend. 

    "Research goes on obviously. I’ll keep helping people. Play billiards when I can" he added with a small smile.  "Of course if we teamed up we could accomplish a lot more" Seungyoon added hesitantly. 

    "I’m terrible at billiards" he replied knowing fully that wasn’t what Seungyoon was talking about. "So what do we do then? Seek out places of danger to help people? Or just put medical personnel out of work by healing one hospital at a time?" 

He envisioned Seungyoon just stepping into a hospital doing his thing and minutes later all the patients would come walking out completely healed. 

    "Can’t really do that now can I? I’d be going to the hospitals of the world nonstop. Nah, I meant your first suggestion" 

    "Better start watching the news then" he replied as the food arrived. 

Seungyoon tiled his head at him blinking. 

    "That means you’ll go?" he asked sounding sincerely surprised. 

    "Yeah, I got a feeling you would go on your own if not and I just returned from saving you once" he said before chewing into his bagel. 

Seungyoon laughed out loud then. A rolling laugh he had already become so very fond of. Unable to keep serious any longer he laughed too. 

    "You are probably right" Seungyoon said finally and nodded smiling to himself. "I’m sure it’ll be a lot more interesting going together" he added before starting on his food. 

 

 

It was no longer raining when they upped and got ready to return home. Deciding to stop by the grocery store a bit further down the street now that the rain had stopped he was suddenly reminded of how they had first met. It felt like a lifetime ago, but it wasn’t really that long since they met for the first time. 

    "When you stopped here and offered to help me. That must have been fate right?" he said thinking back fondly. 

    "Something like that. We would probably have met sometime soon anyway since we live the same building" Seungyoon mused while looking ahead. The sun hung low in the autumn air bathing them in a warm light. 

    "Why did you offer to help me? Do you remember?" Mino asked. They had never spoken of this before, his initial questions about their immediate attraction had been pushed aside rather quickly by more pressing matters. Like saving the world and such. 

    "I just remember I got this warm feeling, just by walking past you" Seungyoon replied, a small furrow between his brows as if thinking hard in an attempt to remember. "Might simply have been the synergy of our powers" he concluded and smiled to himself. 

Mino didn’t quite buy into that theory. He wasn’t someone who quickly grew close to or even got attracted to someone easily, even if their powers fit together  shouldn’t that dictate that they would grow to fall for each other romantically. 

    "Maybe we are soulmates" Seungyoon said suddenly coming to a halt. 

Grinning ear to ear Mino let out a small laugh at the thought before stopping in his tracks too. 

    "That’s the cheesiest I’ve heard in a long time, but yeah, might just be" he  replied shaking his head a little at the fact that Seungyoon had dared to say what he had just said out loud. They stood there looking at each other now, both amused that they were actually having this conversation.

    "Ima give you cheesy" Seungyoon said in a low voice and grabbed his hand in his. He then leaned over and placed a big smooch of a kiss on his cheek. 

    "We kissing in public now?" Mino commented, gripping Seungyoon’s hand tighter in his hand forcing him to get even closer. 

    "I guess we are" Seungyoon replied arching an eyebrow at him as if it was a challenge. 

Not one to back away from a challenge he grabbed his boyfriend by the collar with his free hand and pulled him in for a proper kiss. He had intended it to just be a quick peck on the lips, but melting into what he thought had to be the softest lips on the planet, if not the universe, he just couldn’t make himself break away. 

 

In the end it had been Seungyoon who pulled away, looking too cute for words with a slight pink color to his cheeks. 

    "No more kisses for you until we get home" he said in what Mino assumed was an attempt at a bossy voice, but the whole act was just very amusing to him. 

    "I think I can restrain myself the whole fifteen minutes it takes us to walk home" he replied, but he still began walking ahead at a steady pace. 

    "Look at you in a hurry to get home" Seungyoon teased and took a few long strides to catch up to him until they were walking side by side again. 

 

 

Arriving back home they split up to put away their shopping, each in their own apartments although they hardly bought anything or stayed much at Seungyoon’s place. 

It was still a couple of hours until their dinner reservation and feeling restless he decided to go up and see what Seungyoon was up to. 

 

The door was unlocked and it didn’t take him long to locate Seungyoon who was on the phone. He didn’t want to eavesdrop, but it looked like a serious conversation so he didn’t wish to interrupt either. 

    "I’m telling you we will go. Yes I agree, but not tonight. Yes I understand. Yes, bye" 

 

In the end he had eavesdropped anyway. Casually walking into the kitchen as soon as Seungyoon had hung up he tilted his head to the side giving Seungyoon a quizzical look. 

    "I don’t know if you’ve seen the news yet?" Seungyoon asked. 

    "Nope. I don’t want to either" he replied shrugging. He knew where this was leading. 

    "There is a huge forest fire due to a heatwave.." Seungyoon began. Ah great, a fire.. he thought to himself. 

    "People have been evacuated, but a lot are suffering with smoke damage. Also, I don’t know if a fire that big would be beyond what you could deal with?" Seungyoon asked. 

    "I won’t know until I try, now will I?" he mumbled. He had put out an entire building with one swift move so chances were he could make a difference at least. 

    "Well, tonight we got plans so I said we’d go first thing tomorrow morning" Seungyoon said. Mino could tell it was troubling him to delay so much, but there was always going to be someone or somewhere needing their help. 

 

They stared at each other for a moment, both probably grappling with the same dilemma. 

 

    "When do we need to start getting ready for dinner?" Seungyoon asked, sounding eager to change the subject. 

    "Still a couple of hours until we should leave, we’ll have to go directly to the gallery opening afterwards so get dressed appropriately before we go" he replied, suddenly feeling a bit lighter at heart. Seeing his lover in a suit was always a sight to look forward to. 

    "So what should we do until then?" Seungyoon asked, taking a step closer. 

    "I got a couple ideas" he replied picking at the top button on Seungyoon’s shirt. 

 

 

Three hours later and they were really late for their dinner reservation. They had changed into their suits in a hurry, ties askew, shoes unpolished. Jogging down the hall out the main entrance door they had completely forgotten about the ever camping reporters outside. 

As soon as they stepped out had the flashes of cameras begun blinking at them,  and questions were being yelled from every direction. 

    "I’ll give them something to write about" he told Seungyoon leaning in close to his ear to make sure he had heard him. 

    "What?" Seungyoon asked, arching his neck to try and spot their car down on the road on the other side of the crowd. 

At first he had thought about setting a nearby tree on fire, but he didn’t want to end up accidentally hurting any one. Instead he grabbed Seungyoon by the waist and pulled him in for a big kiss in front of everyone. 

    "Way to go provoking every conservative in the country" Seungyoon mumbled as soon as they broke apart. 

    "Can’t help who you love" he replied smugly, placing another soft kiss on Seungyoon’s cheek. He was smiling again now and soon Mino felt Seungyoon’s hand find his, fingers intertwining tightly. 

A plump man at the back of the crowd yelled "When are you getting married!?!" at which they both broke out in laughter to. 

    "Not today! Now please move, we got somewhere we need to be" Seungyoon called and the crowd actually moved out of the way. They had gotten something to write about after all. 

 

 

The car took them over the bridge towards the city, but made an abrupt turn as soon as they had crossed over. Following the river they were soon at a traditional Korean barbecue restaurant. 

    "Well I’m not complaining" Seungyoon said as soon as they stepped out of the car. "But we are going to show up at the gallery smelling of smoke" he continued as they stepped into the small restaurant. 

    "We can just pretend its part of my new image" Mino replied simply. He had made the reservation before the gallery had asked them to attend the opening and not wanting to cancel on their one day off he had figured they would just have to work around it. 

Starving after the physical activity of the last few hours they were lead to their seats around the open fire. Ordering their favorite dishes they soon got busy placing stuff over the fire. 

    "I’m happy you are more comfortable with your powers now" Seungyoon said between mouthfuls of food "But you don’t need to put your hands into the fire. People are staring" 

He had somehow lost a big piece of meat into the flames and deciding he weren’t going to sit there and watch it get ruined he had put his hand in there to fish it out. 

    "I’m not going to ruin perfectly good meat" he said putting it back over the flames. 

    "But a perfectly good suit is fine to ruin" Seungyoon noted pointing to his sleeve that had just caught fire. 

Staring angrily at the small flame it put it self out immediately. 

    "Show off" Seungyoon muttered, but he was still smiling a little.  

    "Well excuse me, Mr. Sparkles, but I’m not the one setting an entire town square alight for the world to see" he teased before eating his now perfectly cooked meat. 

Snorting hard into his drink Seungyoon let out a hearty laugh. 

    "Mr. Sparkles!?" he copied still laughing. 

They kept up their playful conversation through out the entire meal. Taking turns at teasing the other until it was time to leave for the gallery opening. 

 

 

Having coordinated so that they would arrive at the same time as the other two they pulled up at the event at the same time. 

It would be the first time in a long time he would see his old work colleagues and remembering previous events it felt a bit bitter sweet to think about how this might be his last. The fact that he got his now closest friends along for the evening helped softening the blow however. 

The media was there too, but it was all set up cleverly and so as soon as they got inside it was a much more comfortable atmosphere. The place had been beautifully decorated with flowers and extra lighting and servers were walking around with trays iwht canapés and champagne. 

Both he and Seungyoon wore black suits, he had abandoned his tie in the end, opting for an ed version while Seungyoon wore his usual suit get up with the vest making him look like some fairytale prince. Jinwoo was sporting his maroon suit again and Seunghoon looked ever so stylish in his all white suit with a matching maroon tie. 

    "You’d almost think they coordinated that look" he noted to Seungyoon as they snuck away from the crowd for a moment. Seunghoon was ever the social butterfly, talking and laughing with everyone while Jinwoo kept quiet unless spoken to. 

    "They probably did" Seungyoon replied leaning in closer, pretending to be fixing Mino's shirt collar, but actually leaving a soft kiss on his neck. 

Exchanging an alluring look he swallowed hard. 

    "I’d show you my office" he murmured, voice dripping with insinuation. "But we are already standing in it" he continued, nodding towards a glass table a few meters away from them. 

    "That’s a shame, because it should be illegal to look as good as you do tonight" Seungyoon replied back before stepping away from him. His skin was tingling from where Seungyoon’s hot breath had been seconds before and suddenly didn’t the event feel as important anymore.

 

There were people everywhere and everyone wanted a chance to greet them and ask questions about everything that happened since Mino stopped coming to work. 

Several of his colleagues had approached them on the matter of work, but he had assured them he would do his best to return or at least help out at events like this in the future too. How and when was a different issue he would have to address later. 

A few of the women at the event was standing around gossiping about the news of the fire he had put out. At first he thought they were talking about him, but he quickly realized it was Jinwoo that was the hot topic. 

    "They say he got wings you know" one of them said in a low voice. 

    "Ah I wish we could see them, but where does he keep them?" another wondered curiously. Part of him wanted to in and explain, but another figured it would be better to leave them wondering. 

 

It was while listening to their conversation Seungyoon had slipped away from him. Even Mino himself was amazed at how quickly he became uneasy when they were apart. Assuring himself it was probably a hint of trauma due to recent events he began scanning the room for his lover. 

It didn’t take long before he had spotted him, cornered by several people who looked to be talking really eagerly about something. 

 

Making his way through the room he was soon at his boyfriend's side yet again, sliding one hand casually around Seungyoon’s slender waist, pulling him in closer. 

    "Don’t just leave me like that. I’m easily spooked these days" he mumbled into Seungyoon’s ear while the people around them discussed what they thought Seungyoon could do with his powers. 

    "Sorry" Seungyoon replied giving him an apologetic look. It was then Seunghoon approached them, pulling them to the side. 

    "I know it’s still pretty early, but do you think it's fine if we start leaving? Jinwoo is getting absolutely swamped by all these women and it's honestly getting a little annoying" Seunghoon complained dramatically. 

Laughing Mino nodded and told his assistant to get their car ready. He watched as Seunghoon made his way through the crowd until finally reaching Jinwoo. For a minute it looked like he attempted to pick him up and throw him over his shoulder, but Jinwoo resisted fiercely and began walking to the exit sporting a rather stern look. 

    "Same old with those two I see" he noted to Seungyoon as they followed after the other two. "Well, I guess some things never change" Seungyoon replied as they stepped out of the doors after saying their goodbyes to a few of Mino’s colleagues.

 

 

They returned home after having dropped of Seunghoon and Jinwoo at Seunghoon’s place. The mood between the two had been somewhat chilly, but they had still discussed the plans for the next day calmly. Even though dealing with the fire and it’s victims would primarily be a task for him and Seungyoon had they all agreed it would be better to just stick together. 

Stepping into his apartment it felt nice to get of their suit jackets. Seungyoon threw his tie to the floor and filled himself a glass of water. 

    "We always end up here in your apartment don’t we?" he noted between taking sips of water. 

Mino walked up to him so that they were standing opposite each other and took  the glass out of his hand, taking a sip of it before putting it down on the kitchen island. 

    "You are always welcome in my home" he said in a low voice. 

    "It’s a bit ridiculous to have two places in one building when we only stay in one" Seungyoon said leaning his head forward so they were leaning onto each other chest to chest. 

    "True. You could always move in here" he replied, wrapping his arms around Seungyoon, pulling him into a proper hug. 

    "I think I’d like that" Seungyoon replied before looking up into Mino’s eyes. 

    "It’s decided then" he replied, before leaning in for a kiss. 

One of many kisses that would be shared between them in the days, weeks and years to come. 

Together he knew they would be able to handle whatever the world threw at them and despite everything he felt more optimistic than ever.

 

 

 

 

 


Authors note: So here we are at the end. Did you enjoy it? I really hope so! Thank you for reading my minyoon story to the end! I did my best although I’m sure there were many mistakes. It felt right to end it here. 

I also got a pretty big surgery coming up soon so I figured it was best to wrap things up in case I won’t feel up to writing for a while. I do hope you will return to read my future stories whenever I get around to writing them ❤️ 

Love you lots precious IC’s! Thank you for all the comments and upvotes! If you want to know what I’m up with my writing then twitter would be the best place to check as I try to update about my writing endeavors there (@Eiryia). 

Catch you later!