Crossing Path

Fall With You

FALL WITH YOU

Chapter 2: Crossing path

Junhoe is taken aback but he does not let his mind control him. He goes back to his seat and packs his things. As Junhoe walks at the library alley, he stops, he spots the student's bulletin board. He reads through the flyers and announcements, one by one, since he is not in a rush to go anywhere. Junhoe spots an advertisement that catches his attention. ‘A room for rent, male tenants only.’ Junhoe has been looking for a room to stay for this semester because he thinks that he needs to live closer to the university since he has a long hectic training schedule for swimming and he has to ace this semester or his scholarship will be cut-off. For Junhoe, going back and forth on the bus requires so much time and energy. He can feel his body becomes lethargic easily and losing all the energy faster than he can imagine. It is like he is in a race but it is in circle without a finish line.

Last semester, Junhoe was admitted to the hospital because of anemia and dehydration. The doctor advised him not to work late at night every day and to balance his training hours with his working hours and to have more rest. Junhoe knows he does not want to experience the same problem he had and causing him to disqualify before he even started competing for this season. He spoke to his parents about moving and using his salary as a part-timer to aid his own decision for moving before, and they agreed but he must promise to eat well and come back home during the holidays.

Junhoe looks at the advertisement carefully. He meticulously go through every single detail stated on it. “It is near to this university and only takes 5 minutes by walking, not bad. Oh, and it's very close to the cafe too! Only 4 tenants in this house. I can get the room all to myself and be here early at the same time.” His mind murmurs. Junhoe takes the numbers on board and saves it as contact in his phone. “I shall get back to this later.” Junhoe whispers as he look at his phone. Junhoe then continues his steps and cheerfully humming to an 80s’ classic while walking to the bus stop. The bus arrives as usual and the driver greets him with a friendly hello. He takes his seat and takes hold of his phone and earphone. Junhoe is now in his own world while listening to music.

Junhoe observes through the window of people in various positions and postures, dogs and cats on the street and he faces up to look at the sky. “The sun is setting soon. It’s been a good day.” His mind mutters as he sees the orange ray getting darker in the sky. Junhoe reflects upon everything that he has done for today, until he reaches his stop. He gets reminded of Kim Jinhwan. Junhoe starts thinking of Kim Jinhwan, an acquaintance who he first greeted in management class. Junhoe was not in any group for a task assigned by the professor and Jinhwan offered himself to partner with him. Jinhwan was a new student in the management class at that time, but he already left an impression to the professor during their group presentation. Junhoe was also impressed by Jinhwan’s fluency explaining the facts and accuracy in presenting all the data surprised him greatly.

Junhoe rarely talks with Jinhwan since Jinhwan’s character is different than him. Junhoe only talks with him on-class basis. So, Junhoe does not know the real Jinhwan. Jinhwan’s character appear mysterious to Junhoe. Junhoe reaches his home at seven in the evening and he sees his parents at the living room watching their favourite tv series while waiting for him. “I’m back!” Junhoe greets his parents with a clear voice and dashes to his room. “Oh, take a shower and come down.” His mother reminds him while watching a girl trying to have a conversation with her grandmother on the show. Then, Junhoe takes a shower before he gets downstairs for dinner. Today his mother serves kimchi stew with three side dishes and he can see his father gulping down the broth deliciously. For Junhoe, his mother serves the best meal in the world. “Nothing beats a mother’s touch. I’m going to miss this.” Junhoe’s mind monologues while chewing the beef of the stew. “I found a room for rent today. I contacted the person in charge and he said I can move in starting next week.” Junhoe easily initiate the conversation in the middle of their family dinner. “The rent is cheap too. I think I can afford it and it’s near to the university, a walking distance; five minutes. There are three other male students living in the same house. I’ll come back in the weekends too. Don’t worry too much.” Junhoe explains his plans to his parents about him moving from home. “It’s up to you.” Junhoe’s father exclaims, and sip the water from his cup. “We don’t mind if you can manage yourself on your own.” His father continues to give his opinion. “Yes, me too. Just come back during holidays. That’s the rule.” Junhoe’s mother has finished eating, and she states her agreement and demands for Junhoe’s plans.

Junhoe is smiling from ear to ear upon hearing his parents’ consent. Now that Junhoe has gotten permission from his parents, he is ready to make more plans to move. After helping his mother with the dishes, Junhoe steps upstairs to his room. Junhoe sits at his study desk then grabs a pen and a notebook that reads ‘Your Day is Okay’ and starts to write down his plans. He has a week to be ready to move away from his parents’ home for the first time in his 22 years of life. Junhoe jots down the tools and hardware that he thinks necessary in also food and grocery supplies that he might need. Junhoe sends a message to Hanbin after he is done with his notes. “I’m moving next week. Come help me out so you can know where I stay.” Junhoe clicks on the send button. His phone vibrates immediately and it is the prompt reply from Hanbin. “Sure. Anytime.” Junhoe then sends the date and time of their meeting. “2.30pm Wednesday next week. My house” Junhoe then sees a smiling emoticon followed by an okay sign. Junhoe is now done with his plan to move and he hops on his bed. Junhoe is laying down facing the ceiling and imagining how things are going to be next week. He can see his mother making kimchi and putting them in containers, his father giving him his monthly allowance along with his nagging and non-stop advice and Hanbin wearing his tracksuit thinking he will do some cleaning right away at the new house. Junhoe grins while imagining those cheery moment.

“I’m here.” Hanbin opens his shoes and put it at the rack. Hanbin notices Junhoe’s sports shoes and his parents’ shoes are well arranged. “Come in, Hanbin! Have some meal before you start working.” Junhoe’s mother has set the dining table with rice, side dishes and yukgaejang. “Auntie, where’s Junhoe?” Hanbin is chewing the beef and sipping the broth yet his eyes are going back and forth between the meal and the stairs. “He’ll be down soon. He had his stuff arranged in the car already. You just got to help when you get there.” Junhoe’s mother serves Hanbin some water as she is watching Hanbin swallowing the food fast. “Get down here! I’m almost finish though.” Hanbin spots Junhoe with his black backpack and a black cap that reads, “We make it”. “I’ve eaten with my mom. We can go after you’re done.” Junhoe sits on the couch and crosses his legs making his long legs noticeable. He switches the channel to a news channel and calmly opens his backpack checking if he has brought everything with him. “Okay.” Hanbin replies Junhoe while finishing his side dishes and drinking water. Hanbin is ready to go and Junhoe talks few words with his mother before both of them quietly leaving the house. “It’s fascinating how your dad trusts my driving skill.” Hanbin is smiling while focusing on his drive. “You’re the older one, also, you got the license thanks to him!” Junhoe’s remarks reminds Hanbin that Junhoe’s father was his driving teacher at the driving school and Hanbin took the driving test in fear of the officer but Junhoe’s father was the one who calmed him down and Hanbin passed the test.

Along their way to Junhoe’s new house, Hanbin turns on the radio and songs from the 80s’ and 90s’ are playing as the segment “Throwback Classic” is on the air. Junhoe and Hanbin cheerfully sing and groove to the songs. They are a huge fan of classic songs from the older generation because they are exposed to the genre since they were kids. The twenty five minutes ride is pleasant despite the traffic. They reach the place safely. Hanbin parks and opens the car trunk and let out some of Junhoe's stuff outside. Junhoe and Hanbin grab the bags and boxes to lift and head to level 8. Level 8, Number 21. Junhoe enters the passcode of the house with Hanbin watching him pressing every number. Hanbin memorizes every digit very clear that day.

Junhoe and Hanbin walk in the house. They could hear sizzling sounds from the kitchen. Hanbin peeks at the side of the kitchen and see Yunhyeong is grilling the meat on the stove and he also sees Chanwoo with him pouring water in a glass. Hanbin is excited to see Yunhyeong, his captain for the swimming team. Junhoe knew that Yunhyeong is one of the tenants but he does not know that Chanwoo, a third year student is also a tenant in the same place. “Oh god! Smells nice!” Junhoe says. He puts his bags on the living room and heads straight to the kitchen. “Here, try one”, Chanwoo is holding a tong with a slice of grilled meat and puts it in Junhoe's mouth. Hanbin is watching Junhoe tasting the meat and gulping his saliva. Junhoe gives a thumbs up to Yunhyeong while chewing the meat. “ Junhoe, you'll be living in the middle room. I share a room with Chanwoo and Jinhwan sleeps in the master bedroom. So, from now on there'll be four of us. Bobby likes to come here just to eat. He lives next door. Donghyuk too, since they live together. They're coming in a few minutes, to have lunch. I think you should go and put your things. Then, come out and join us. You too, Hanbin.” Yunhyeong speedy explanation makes Junhoe has to focus on his lips so each of his words come to mind.

"Wow, Song Yunhyeong. You're not just a captain in the team but also captain of the house.” Hanbin compliments Yunhyeong yet he ends his words with his little chuckles. Chanwoo shows a big smile to Hanbin while standing and leaning to the kitchen island. “Oh, hyung, you said Jinhwan? It's Kim Jinhwan from the same university as us? Kim Jinhwan, the mysterious Kim Jinhwan?” Junhoe pops a series of questions to Yunhyeong after sipping some water. “Mysterious?” Yunhyeong's laughs can be heard through the whole leaving room. “He isn't a mysterious guy. I heard he's in the same management class as you. You'll get to know him better since we're all living together anyways. Just get your stuff sorted out first. I think you should help him.” Yunhyeong points at Hanbin signaling him to help Junhoe carrying his bags and boxes. Then, Yunhyeong grabs a black pepper bottle and spread it on the meat for grilling. Again, sizzling and delicious smell of grilling meat occupied the house.

Junhoe carries his luggages and strolling it to his room. He cannot stop thinking about the fact that Jinhwan is living in the same house. "The mysterious Kim Jinhwan, it seems that we do cross each other's path, a lot." His mind mutters and he strikes a smile. Hanbin looks at him with a puzzle look. Junhoe's eyes glances at the door of Jinhwan's room and unconsciously stop in front of it. He can see a picture frame of Kim Jinhwan and his family on his door and a "Not home" sign hanging on his doorknob. Jinhwan was smiling from ear to ear in the picture and his mother showing a proud smile of a mom. He can see Han River in the background. "Nice picture". Junhoe smiles while taking his luggaes and walking straight to his room. “Hyung, I’m calling Bobby hyung and Donghyuk to come over now.” Chanwoo begins to walk towards the door. “You can just call them! Why'd you walk there?” Yunhyeong's words left unheard as Chanwoo has already closed the door and locking sound can be heard.