Ambiguous Meeting

Fall With You

“I'm going!” Junhoe bids farewell to his mother before he goes to class. Junhoe is wearing his blue black jeans and white tee along with his favourite Vans shoes which he got from his father for his 22nd birthday present, and his black backpack. Junhoe stops in front of his door and looks at the clear sky, then walks gleefully to the bus stop. At the bus stop, he sees Hanbin, one of his classmates, who works as a part-timer like him. Hanbin is wearing an orange tee that reads 'I'm OK’. Junhoe knows Hanbin likes to wear t-shirt that has something written on it. “I didn't submit the assignment last night!” Hanbin exclaims. “Dude, it's compulsory for us. How can you forget it?” Junhoe asks Hanbin and look at him with full curiosity. “Dude, I know. But I don't know how to do it and everyone was busy doing their own stuff. I can't even ask for your help because you're busy with your work at the cafe.” Hanbin explains to Junhoe while waiting for the bus to arrive.

“The bus is here.” Junhoe points at the bus and Hanbin takes out his wallet which has his t-money card. They both choose to sit at the most back. “I hope Coach Yang won't be mad at you for not submitting the assignment. He gave us two weeks to do it you know.” Junhoe let out a sigh. Junhoe seems to understand Hanbin's reason for not completing the assignment and passing the submission. Hanbin is also a part-timer like him but Hanbin works at an ice-rink center and his working hours are not fixed like Junhoe. Hanbin also sometimes skips their swimming practice because of his work. Hanbin really works hard to pay off his tuition fees at this university. Nevertheless, Hanbin is a zealous swimmer. Whenever he missed a practice, he make it up by asking help from their Assistant Coach, Mr. Nam for every lesson that he missed.

Coach Nam is always willing to help him because he is aware of his condition. Junhoe and Hanbin knows their attendance to swimming practice and lessons have to be at least 60% because getting lesser than 60% means they will be suspended from competitions and the university will give them warnings for violating the university's law. Hanbin really tries his best to stick to the rules. Getting on a 20-minute bus ride to the university is Junhoe and Hanbin's daily routine for weekdays. Today, at 10 in the morning they will have a training session at the university's swimming pool. Everyone is ready at the pool for the training in their university's official training suit. Junhoe can see Coach Nam walking through the entrance door with his development chart on his hand. Everyone is in line to greet the coach. “Good morning Coach Nam!” The swimmers say in unison. “Good morning. Today I want everyone to warm up first as usual and start the same training as yesterday. Those who think they're not fit for today, please go back home but you'll do intensive training for 4 hours straight next week.” Coach Nam thoroughly explains to everyone in the team. No one steps out. No one is dare enough to show up and admit that they’re not ready for today’s practice. “Dismissed!” Coach Nam instructs the swimming team. Junhoe and his team gather together to warm up before they start the practice under Mr. Lee’s surveillance.

“Focus! On count of 8!” Yunhyeong leads the whole swimming team for the warming up session. After being the captain of the team for eight months, replacing senior Yong who leaves for national service, Yunhyeong is now accustomed to the responsibilities that he has to carry. Junhoe can see Coach Nam jotting down something on his chart and sometimes Coach Nam’s expression changes as he monitor the team from time to time. Junhoe tries to read him but Junhoe fails to get the exact thoughts of Coach Nam. Junhoe starts his practice at the eighth lane today. He cannot choose his lane as he wishes because Mr. Nam determines the turns and arrangement every time.

Junhoe sees Hanbin is swimming using the front crawl today. Junhoe was not expecting Hanbin to stretch his shoulder muscles too much because Junhoe thinks that Hanbin has not fully recovered after the incident at the championship. Junhoe sets to jump into the pool. Junhoe shows a freestyle as he starts his training. He swings his arms one at a time so he gets an alternate movements of arms and his legs flutter from his hips every time he goes forward. As he is approaching towards the end of the lane, he can see a reflection in front of him. Junhoe is curious of that figure. He stops and heads out to see. “Koo Junhoe! Get back in the water or intensive training next week!” Coach Nam happens to see Junhoe pauses his practice. Coach Nam thinks that Junhoe is tired but Mr. Nam is wrong. Junhoe can see a petite figure with a carton of water bottle on the trolley in front of him. That figure is still looking at him and is looking at him with a smile. Junhoe can see clearly the mole on the cheek. Junhoe is taken aback for a minute. Then, Junhoe sees  Coach Nam is looking at him and he gets in the pool immediately. “Okay, everyone stop! Good job for today and see you again tomorrow! Yunhyeong, don’t forget the cooling down!” Coach Nam's voice is loud enough to get everyone’s attention and in that note Coach Nam ends today’s practice with a reminder that they shall meet him again tomorrow.

The swimming team come to a rest. Junhoe can hear some of them coughing and they are those who vomit in the pool. Some of them have strong mentality and endurance to hold in their nauseous state. Junhoe get out of the pool and head to changing room. “I got a class at 3pm. I think I shall see you at the cafe?” Hanbin walks beside Junhoe as they move towards the changing room. “No, don’t bother waiting. I need to go somewhere today. Plus, I’m not working today.” Junhoe tells Hanbin about his plan. Junhoe and Hanbin are now in the shower getting themselves cleaned before they go to their morning class.“I’m going to the library and study since I got a quiz tomorrow.” Hanbin looks at Junhoe confoundedly while getting his hair shampooed. “What happens to you my friend? Have you finally knocked some sense?” Junhoe let the water runs down his face and body before he answers Hanbin’s question. “Dude, I need a pass!” Junhoe clarifies then he takes his towel to dry his body leaving Hanbin in the shower.

Junhoe is now ready to go to class wearing his clothes and neat hair. While Junhoe sprints himself to class, he bumps with Chanwoo and Donghyuk. Donghyuk and Chanwoo are Junhoe classmates in management class. “Dude, watch out!” Donghyuk is upset because Junhoe almost hit him with the strong, built body that Junhoe has. “He must be late. You know how we always see him running like a thunderbolt around the campus. He’s famous as ‘SuperKoo’ for being good at swimming and running late to class.” Chanwoo recalls the talks he has been listening to around the campus and how he always greets Junhoe in a flash every time they meet as Junhoe consistently racing his way towards something.

Junhoe’s casual morning has passed and he is now at the big university library where students from various faculty gather to study, read, search, surf the worldwide web and sometimes date. Junhoe proceeds with his plan to do his revision because he has nothing to work on in the evening. Junhoe spends his time reading his books and notes, then, writes down information which he finds useful and relevant for tomorrow's quiz.

Suddenly, Junhoe’s eyes encounters a petite figure that is looking at him from a distance. Junhoe’s eyes are quick to catch a glimpse of that figure that stares at him. He remembers the mole on the right cheek just below the eye and he is sure it is the same person. The figure starts to take off his steps as Junhoe is approaching. Junhoe is now standing behind the figure where he saw at the pool and now, at the library. Junhoe holds its shoulder and the petite figure turns. “Kim Jinhwan?” The person with a petite figure is Kim Jinhwan, one of his classmates in management class. Kim Jinhwan is one of the oldest students in the class but he is gentle yet timid. Nevertheless, Kim Jinhwan always voices out his views and ideas eloquently in all of his presentation. “What are you doing?” Jinhwan points at Junhoe’s hand on his shoulders. “I’m sorry.” Junhoe apologizes and let go of his hand. “I saw you at the pool today.” Junhoe spontaneously starts the conversation. Chanwoo waves at Jinhwan from outside the library glass mirror and Jinhwan swiftly leaves Junhoe without saying a word. Junhoe is left clueless yet ponders on Jinhwan's dashing moves.