Chapter I: Who are you?

You’re Pretty

« What a pretty baby! You’re very lucky! »

 

« Aigooo don’t you think that our princess is the prettiest! »

 

« Oh my sweet bunny, give me a pretty smile! »

 

« You’re so pretty! »

 

« Lord let me have a glance of this pretty face!»

 

« Is she even real?! Woah, pretty!»

 

« If pretty was a person it will be her! »

 

« Yeah okay She got a pretty face, and? »

 

« This is all thanks to her pretty look. »

 

« I’m sure that she’s wearing tons of make up to get this pretty. »

 

« Without her pretty face she’s nothing. »

 

« Just because she’s a bit prettier! »

 

« How much of her is fake?! Pretty fake girl! »

 

« You know what they say : Like a gold ring in a pig snout is a pretty face on an empty head! »

 

« Oh my! Looks like the prettiest girl is all by herself! »

 

« So pretty girl, did he got in your bed too?  I bet he did!»

 

———

 

We all have a part of us that we want to change into something better like : wishing our nose was smaller, our glut bigger, our lips plumper, etc. When we see those celebrities on the screen, we admire their beauty and most of the time ended up wishing to be as pretty as them.  Well believe it or not, the main character of this story, Bae Joohyun, a 17 years old, in contrary, has always suffered from her outstanding features. It all started in middle school as teens began to change, seeing life otherwise and let the jealousy take the worst of them out. Joohyun wasn’t prefect but neither was she a bad person; just a quiet girl who loved to take care of the others and have fun. When the bullying started, she tried to resist yet it was vain; she wasn’t that strong, confident or brave enough so she let them do whatever they wanted, hoping that one day it will eventually stop. However as the years were going down, the  harassment grew up.... Sure did some tried to help but unfortunately it was always one or two persons at a time and regardless of how much they wanted to change the situation what could they do against way more peoples. Plus it is not a secret that if you try to intervene you might ended up being the “new victim” and so fear will make you back up... 

 

So, in the end we could say that Joohyun was left to her own and if she looked like she was taking it all quite well, the truth is that the young girl was at the end of her rope...

 

————

 

Inside the staffroom :

 

“Mister Ryu this can’t keep going.” Stated the Principal. “Yesterday, we’ve happened to talk about you and discovered that you were cheating in all your classes! This is ridiculous! Things have to change young man! Our school is not just known for its sportsmen but also for the academic standards we’ve established and you’re disrespecting our rules.” 

 

“But it’s not my fault if I’m bad at studying. I’m excellent in sport shouldn’t that be enough...?”

 

“ Look we don’t care how good you are in physical disciplines, if you don’t change your grades, you will fail this year!” Burst out Mr Jeong, the math teacher. 

 

But, hopefully, miss Kang, the Biology professor and the director’s daughter, quickly spoke up to ease the situation. “Don’t listen to them, grumpy elders! Of course that we care Tae-Joon! However it is not enough... We don’t want you to top everyone else but try at least to not fail most of your classes without cheating anymore...”

 

“Also, until you get better results, I forbid you to show yourself in the club.”

 

“What?!”

 

“I’m sorry kiddo, but now your only priority, should be studying.” Explained the trainer, Miss Lee.  

 

“Please no, mam! I’m begging you! I’ll do everything I can! I’ll study days and nights but please don’t get me out of the club!”

 

“...”

 

“ I’ll just need some time to adjust. But the club is everything for me! And the championship selections are in three month. Please teachers?... Principal?... Anyone?...”

 

After what felt like an eternity, the school-head decided to voice out his final decision.   

 

“... Fine. We’ll give you a delay. You have three months to make it happen. Otherwise, they will be no competition for you.” 

 

« Yes! Thank you! Thank you so much! »

 

“And what about the cheating, sir?!” Complained the Math teacher. 

 

“Right, if any of your professors caught you cheating, the results will be the same as previously stated. Did I make myself clear?”

 

« Ah... yeah sure...»

 

“You can leave now.”

 

“Yes, sir. Thank you.”

 

//Time skip//

 

Ryu Tae-Joon was walking in the hallway without any real destination, trying to found a solution to his dilemma but none was coming to him.

 

“JDSKFS I’m about to go crazy!”

 

The problem with Ryu is that he’s hyperactif which means that sitting on a chair for hours and keep his concentration on only one thing is slightly impossible. If he could afford a particular teacher he’ll never be in this situation. His friends did try to help but this task require an amount of patience that none of them seemed to have -not to talk about their grades that are not always that amazing-. 

 

Suddenly he heard a loud sound and felt the urge to see where it came from. 

 

“...”

 

“Come on, why you’re playing hard to get, huh? Everyone in this school knows that you ain’t no saint.”

 

“...”

 

“Look Pretty, this time I’m not letting you go anywhere until you made up your mind, okay?! "

 

“... ”

 

“Yah! Say something bef-”

 

“Move Donghae.”

 

“Can’t you see I’m-“

 

“Shut your mouth and move! I have some business with her that are way more important than you thirsty needs.”

 

“Whatever Nayeon.”

 

“You better got them Pretty.” Threatened her “savior”who just came with a bunch of other girls. 

 

Joohyun searched in her bag and pulled out a usb and a plastic folder full of papers. 

 

“Good. I expect a A- at least otherwise I’ll be very mad. Now go, I can’t stand your face any longer.”

 

The victim didn’t need it to be said twice. She quietly walked away as fast as she could and Ryu did the same. 

 

[Man that’s a lot of self-control, I would’ve loose my mind but she didn’t even cry or shout...]

 

//Time skip// 

 

Inside his room, the student was still thinking hard on what to do...

 

[Maybe I should do the same? Try to found a smart head whom will work for me... Nah, that’s not cool and I already have Wendy’s homework that I can copy.I must found something else for the tests... maybe new cheating technics? But if I get caught it will be the death of me...] 

 

The athlete messed up his hair once more unaware of the witness inside his room. 

 

“THIS IS SERIOUSLY DRIVING ME CRAZY!!”

 

“Tae-Joon, you’re okay?”

 

“Huh?!”

 

“You were talking, no, rather shouting to yourself.”

 

“Can’t you knock before?! I was about to change.”

 

“No you weren’t. Plus it’s not like there will be much to see...”

 

“Say that again?!”

 

“Anyway why were you screaming?”

 

“None of your business chipmunk.”

 

“I don’t care mom sent me. So unless you prefer talking to her, you better spill the tea. Come on don’t be shy.” She said as she wiggled her eyebrows. 

 

“Stop it with your ugly faces.”

 

“Not before you stop pushing me away. What’s with you?”

 

“...”

 

“Oh I see. You don’t want to speak to me, right?”

 

“...”

 

“I can’t believe that you’re still mad at me for my little prank.”

 

“Little?! You took off my swimming equipment and put a pink speedo with unicorns instead! A! SPEEDOOOO! WITH UNICORNS!!!”

 

“At least the cap was matching it...”

 

“SERIOUSLY?!”

 

The sibling burst out of laugh. “I’m sorry but you’re the one who kept making fun of me!”

 

“WHAT?!”

 

“Yeah, always telling me that I gained some weight!”

 

“AND THAT YOU WERE PRETTIER THAT WAY BECAUSE YOU WERE IN A HEALTHY BODY!!! I think I will have a heart attack if I keep talking to you. Just go please.”

 

She jumped on the bed and hugged him tightly. “Oppaaaa I’m really sorry about it. Please stop being mad at me.”

 

“Ew... What do you want? I’m broke!”

 

“It’s not like that Joon! But you didn’t eat nor spoke since you came back. Normally when you’re mad you eat and train way more.”

 

“Hm...”

 

“Please ? She begged one last time using her die-for puppy eyes.”

 

“Fine I’ll tell you but you have to promise me you won’t talk about it to anyone! Especially Mom and Dad!”

 

“I swear!”

 

And so, he started to brief her about his situation. 

 

“I’m not even surprise that you’re a bad cheater too. With your patience you should rather explain me how comes you don’t snatch your neighbor’s paper each time.”

 

“Out.”

 

“Hehe why so serious?” Teased the twin. 

 

“Seungwan, swimming means the world to me! If I don’t get to participate in this championship it will be over for me...”

 

“Then I’ll help you!”

 

“No.”

 

“Why?!”

 

“Two reasons. First we might end up trying to cut each other’s throat just like the last time. Second, keeping your grades at the top of the high school for your scholarship is already taking all your time.”

 

“But I want-“

 

“I said no.” 

 

“Pfff then why don’t you take a particular teacher?”

 

“For all my courses?! This will cost me a kidney.”

“Mom and Dad could help paying-“

 

“No! They barely make it each month.”

 

“Your friends?”

 

“They’re dumb and they say I have no chill when it comes to study.”

 

“Did they lie though...?”

 

“Ha.ha.ha.” 

 

“Ok then ask another student.”

 

“Who? I don’t know anyone that will do this for free. And I have nothing to offer.”

 

“You could pay in nature... “She gave him a gross smile only to receive a pillow in exchange. 

 

“Why are you my sister?!”

 

“Okay okay I’m sorry! What about the girls that have a kink on you. Maybe you could play the boyf-“

 

“Jennie will kill me.” 

 

“Yeah... your « girlfriend »...”

 

“Forget it, I’m doomed.”

 

“Hm... Found someone that is smart and free to teach you in exchange of  a physical task since your muscles are all you got...”

 

“Not my fault if my annoying twin took all the good cells! Now go, my head is banging so hard, I need to sleep.”

 

“I’m trying to find a solution to your...” Wendy stopped mid-sentence when she realized that Tae-Joon was already asleep. “Oh my! You sure that you’re not narcoleptic instead?! He always fell asleep within a few seconds, that’s crazy.”

 

“...”

 

“Well it’s probably the stress... Goodnight TJ... We’ll fix this, don’t worry...”

 

A few days passed and Tae-Joon was still feeling down. Once at school he directly walked inside the class, avoiding his friends as he was too pissed off and afraid to let it all go on them. After the courses he’ll train by himself without talking much with his teammates. Wendy was getting more concerned about her brother to the point that she couldn’t take it anymore and explained the situation to her bestfriend, Joy. 

 

“Ah now I get why you two have been so moody lately.”

 

“Yes... Seems like there’s no escape for him...”

 

“I wouldn’t be that sure.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“I mean that I know someone who could fit the post perfectly.”

 

“SERIOUSLY?!”

 

“Yeah. I’m actually surprised that you didn’t thought about it sooner.”

 

“The Tea!”

 

“Ok ok the answer is handled by one word; “Pretty”. “

 

“Huh?”

 

“Pretty.”

 

“Me?”

 

Joy didn’t answer and kept a blank face at the lack of sens from her small friend. 

 

“What?”

 

“I don’t understand how you get considered as a smart head...” 

 

“Just explain for love’s sake!”

 

“Fine. Who are the top 5 student of our senior year?”

 

“Um... I think Jin-ki was the fifth then Hani, Namjoon. I was first and the second was...”

 

“Was?”

 

“You mean Bae Joohyun?!”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Why would she help him?!”

 

“Seungwan you’re helpless, you know that?!”

 

“No I’m not!”

 

“Yes you are! Pretty is the most intelligent person around here after you but she’s also the number one target! He needs help to study? Well she needs a bodyguard! He needs someone that could give him a lot of time? There you go, she needs a person that could be with her 24/7 at school to assure her protection. He’s a hot head ? I watched her she’s sooo soft!”

 

“OH MY!!!! PARK SOOYOUNG LET ME CUDDLE YOU!!!”

 

“YESSSSS!!!”

 

“WAIT WE MUST SAY IT TO MY BROTHER FIRST!!”

 

Wendy grabbed Joy’s hand and ran through the school, knowing that he could only be in the school swimming pool. 

 

“WHAT ABOUT MY HUG?!”

 

“WE DON’T HAVE TIME LET’S GET THERE BEFORE HE START HIS TRAINING!”

 

—— 

 

Tae-Joon was entering the locker room when he heard his sister shouting from behind causing him to nearly have a heart attack then regain himself and run to her, ready to slam whoever was annoying his little squirrel.  

 

“SEUNGWAN?! WHY ARE YOU RUNNING?! WHO’S AFTER YOU?! IS IT THAT DUDE TH-“

 

He couldn’t finish his sentence... Nope... Not when two mad women just jumped on him. 

 

RTJ : THE HELL?!

 

Joy : Hi TJ! 

 

RTJ :  ... Hello Sooyoung...

 

Joy hugged him tightly:  Thanks for catching us! 

 

RTJ : ... you’re welcome... [Someone please send help, I’m so done with those two...]

 

Wendy : Be more grateful! We have a miracle to bring you! Tell him Joy!

 

 RTJ : You’re sure it’s not a disaster instead? 

 

Joy : Hush! We found the solution to your problem. 

 

RTJ : What problem? 

 

Joy : I swear the Ryu children share one brain cell! 

 

RTJ : Hey!

 

Wendy : Whatever, we’re talking about your grades! There’s someone that could help you!

 

RTJ : Really?! It better not be a joke!  Wait! You told her?! 

 

Wendy : Uuuuuh. Anyway It’s not a joke. Come with us, we’ll show you who! 

 

RTJ : Al-alright but Where ?

 

Wendy : Oh.... that’s a good question. Joy?

 

Joy sighed: Not one cell maybe not even a half. Let’s wait a second, the weirdo will be here soon. 

 

Wendy : Yeri? Oops; I didn’t realized she hasn’t come eat with us?

 

RTJ : Neither did Seulgi apparently. You are terrible friends. 

 

Joy : Maybe. They discovered that new game and are head over heels for it. Now they hide themselves somewhere in the school to play it on their computers. 

 

Wendy : Those two geeks... 

 

//Time Skip//

 

Yeri: Hello peasants. Oh Joonie-oppa! She said as she run into him. 

 

RTJ : Am I a peasant to you Yerimah? 

 

Yeri : Nuh I was talking about those two oldies. You’re cool except when you were wearing that strange thing in the swimming pool.

 

RTJ: I’m... 

 

Wendy : HAHAHAHA It’s called a Speedo brief!

 

Yeri : The name makes it worse. 

 

RTJ : Where’s Seul? 

 

Seulgi a few feet behind: Here! 

 

RTJ : Why are you making me wait for my hug then?

 

Seulgi : Sorryyyy! She hugged him tightly. 

 

RTJ whispering in her ear : You know you’re my favorite for your the most normal. 

 

Seulgi with her terrific eyes-smiles: I do! 

 

Joy: Are you done?! I feel like I just caught diabetes! Let’s go! 

 

Wendy : Yes! 

 

//Time skip//

 

Yeri : Okay she’s here, go!

 

RTJ : In the girls restroom?! 

 

Yeri : Well Yeah!

 

Wendy : That’s a bit... He can’t do this and what is she doing here?!

 

Joy : Hiding?

 

RTJ : I am not going inside! 

 

Yeri : Fine! Seulgi, Go check!

 

Seulgi : Am I your slave?! 

 

Yeri pushing Seulgi inside : Yes!

 

Seulgi : ...

 

After checking each cubicles of the toilets which was very very embarrassing, Seulgi came back to announce that they were no “Pretty” inside.  

 

Wendy : I don’t know what we were expecting front listening to this devil.  

 

Yeri : She’s always here at lunch time!

 

Wendy : Then how comes she isn’t now?!

 

Seulgi : Guys. 

 

Yeri : How do you want me to know ?!

 

Wendy : Because you always know everything! 

 

Yeri : Am I a Medium in your unhinged mind?! 

 

Seulgi: Guuuuys. 

 

Wendy : No! Rather an evil sent to destroy this planet! 

 

Joy : Oh so noisy...

 

Yeri : Right give me a second to grab my pitch fork and shove it- 

 

Seulgi : GUYS!

 

Yeri and Wendy : WHAT!?

 

Seulgi : Dont yell at me!

 

Yeri: Sorry...

 

Wendy : Same... what did you want to say?

 

Seulgi: Isn’t she in one of our class? Like don’t we have at least one class with her? 

 

Joy : Right! She’s the second best student, she must have one of those advanced class too. 

 

Wendy : Oh... now that you mention it. I think I saw her in math last week but I’m not sure. 

 

Joy: And we have P-E thursday morning all together anyway. 

 

Yeri: Not me. I paid a friend to give me another certificate for the month. 

 

Joy: Oh! You sneaky betrayer. Get me one too!

 

RTJ: That’s... Illegal?

 

Yeri: I don’t think so, but making us sweat for nothing and giving me orders? THAT surely is. 

 

Wendy: Ain’t you afraid for your report?

 

Yeri: Hahaha. Afraid. You wish!

 

Joy: Yeri! 

 

The maknae walked away, leaving them behind followed by the tallest girl. 

 

Joy: I swear Kim Yerim! 

 

Seulgi: She didn’t managed to wash Sooyoung’s lipstick of her Zelda limited edition T-shirt... 

 

Wendy: Ouch! Then, hell will be a safer place for our Joy. 

 

Seulgi: Indeed. 

 

RTJ: Can you two walk faster? We’re already late for class!  

 

But then the little squirtle, who was a hallway away from them, suddenly came back running as fast as her short legs could allow her to. She grabbed the boy’s hand and made him run. No need to specify the rest of the band wasn’t far behind. 

 

Yeri: Look! Nancy and her friends are cornering Pretty! 

 

RTJ : Oh... 

 

Wendy: Come on, do something! 

 

RTJ: Me!?

 

Joy: Yeah! 

 

RTJ : But they’re girls! I can’t do much! You guys should go!

 

Joy: And get my hair messed up!? No way!

 

Wendy : There is like 6 giants, what do you want us to do against those creatures?!

 

RTJ: Grow Up?

 

Wendy: Very funny. 

 

Seulgi : TJ please, they’re hurting her...

 

Yeri : If you don’t move, I’ll go! 

 

RTJ: Fine Fine, you guys return to class, I’ll take care of this!

 

Joy: Haha and miss this?

 

The sportsman sighed and ran as fast as he could, dodged everyone grabbed the girl and kept running for the next 50 seconds before he finally release her. 

 

“Safe!”