Chapter IV: A new start?

You’re Pretty

During his first months in jail, there wasn’t a single night when TJ didn’t remember the day his life took such a huge turnover.  

 

//FlashBack// 

 

“My place is that way. What about you?” 

 

“I’m sorry?” 

 

“I said; where do you live?” 

 

“There.” 

 

“Really? We have opposite directions... That’s ok, I’ll still come with you!” 

 

“No, it won’t be necessary.” 

 

“But I don’t mind!” 

 

“I know. I just... need some time alone...” 

 

“You’re sure?” 

 

“Yes.” 

 

The boy sighed at the sudden change of behavior, one second he feels like she wants him closer and the next one like she built an iron dome around herself to keep him away.. It’s a shame because he really wanted to spend a bit more time with her (and a bit less with the species waiting at his place). 

 

“... Fine. Take care…”  

 

“Sure..” 

 

“I’ll see you tomorrow!” He tried enthusiastically.  

 

However, instead of a proper answer, the raven just quickly bowed then walked away even faster, leaving an uneasy feeling behind. As he watched her do so, TJ stayed puzzled by the soulless response. Joohyun was lovely for sure yet also quite complicated and he is awful when it comes to complicated matters. Most of the time he’ll back off but not now, he promised. So he thought hard about an alternative ending for their encounter and as soon as he found one, ran after the Pretty face.  

 

“I hope I’m not too late!” 

 

Luckily the Ryu’s son managed to catch a glimpse of his schoolmate right before she could disappear. He pursued her, planning to ask for her number when… 

 

“Hold on… I never asked a girl for her number...” 

 

As odd as it may sounds, Tae-Joon indeed never had to do it in the past. Not even with his girlfriend; she was the one who bought up the subject and asked him to exchange their numbers. Other than that, the only women saved in his phone are his mom, aunts, Wendy, Seulgi, Joy, Yeri and Miss Kang who is, by the way, Seulgi’s mother. Also please note that the last four people of the list inserted their numbers without caring about TJ’s opinion which explain the weird choices of smileys next to their names. Anyhow.  

 

“Come on TJ man up. You go to her and say: Give me your number! Or not! That sounds like a threat! I need something softer. But if I’m too soft she'll think I’m hitting on her and she’ll be mad like the last time and UGH HELP!” 

 

In the end, instead of doing the simple task he was allocated, the young Ryu nervously messed up his hair then aimlessly followed Joohyun from afar. He was hoping he could eventually gather any sufficient amount of courage inside his head in between.  But as he kept doing so, he didn’t straight up realize how his small friend had herself stopped moving for a while. Hopefully he did become aware of the sudden change before a potential collision. 

 

At that time, TJ was just a few feet behind, quietly witnessing the young Bae as she was abruptly crossing the path and slowly directing herself to the avenue. 

 

He found it very odd and unconsciously did the same until she started running… eyes closed…  

 

—-TRIGGER WARNING!!!— 

 

Tae-joon tried to save her, he really did.  He ran as fast as he could and managed to pull her a little but it was too late... the impact was so strong that he got, himself, pulled alongside and landed on his face a bit further from the girl. It made him a bit dizzy yet he didn’t lose a second and immediately got on his four to search for his friend until it caught his eyes… Just a few meters away, was laying Joohyun’s body, ripped by the car.... There was blood.. so much blood... her blood!  For Tae-joon, it felt like someone was strangling him; he couldn’t figure how to breath anymore, his whole body was shaking and for a second being alive seemed like the hardest task he ever had to accomplish in his life.  

 

“... No... No!” 

 

He rushed to her sides, shouting at the witnesses to call an ambulance. Then, kneeled next to the damaged body, catching, in the meantime, a glimpse of its missing leg. He had to fight the nauseas caused by the horrible view.  

 

“Joohyun! Joohyun! Please don’t do this! No! Don’t die on me! I’m so sorry! Oh dear! If only I wasn’t that... that stupid...” 

 

The situation was nerve wracking but thankfully the young Ryu knew what to do from all the first aids classes he had attend with their coach. He couldn’t describe how grateful he was feeling toward the old woman for being the scariest person on earth as it made him pay very good attention to those classes and now this knowledge was more than simply required.   

 

—-END OF TRIGGER WARNING—- 

 

So, by a quick move, he dried, with his sleeve, the tears blurring his vision then took a towel out of his sport bag and wet the fabric with a water bottle. He looked once more at the injury before making any move but the sight was too harsh and it worsened his anxiety. 

 

“It’s not like they will come in seconds! So do it Tae-Joon! Do it now!” 

 

And without further hesitations, the athlete applied a steady pressure directly on the wound just like he was taught.  

 

Joohyun jolted at the pain, bursting her eyes open as she screamed from the ache.  

 

“I’m sorry! I’m so-sorry!” He stuttered “Please bear with me until the medics arrive! Don’t close your eye!” 

 

However, the raven couldn’t speak anymore, she couldn’t even move her eyelid and only her tears were left to testified of the inner thoughts in her mind.  

 

[Everything hurt] 

 

 She just wanted to sleep the pain away and forget. Wasn’t it, after all, the purpose of this foolish act? Erase all the images of this horrible life? But then why was she trying so hard to keep watching that boy who was crying his heart out? He was responsible too...Wasn’t he? So why? Well maybe because, somehow, it felt like he was warming her, inside, even though she knew her body was cooling down faster than she would’ve believe. 

 

“You’re in pain... I understand but stay strong, I’m begging you.” 

 

Yes, maybe it was that or maybe... 

 

“Joohyun!” 

 

Screamed the boy as she finally lost consciousness and everything turned pitch-black.  Tae-Joon was terrified by the possibility of witnessing his new friend die in front of him. By good fortune, the paramedics arrived not much after and took it from there.  

 

“Great job, kid. I’ll count to three and we’ll switch position, ok?” 

 

“Joohyun... ” he hissed painfully.  

 

“Don’t worry, we got her. Ready? 1, 2,3!” 

 

Tae-Joon fell backward as he handed over the reins to the professionals. Then he stayed frozen on his spot, unable to utter a word or a gesture. His mind was blank, totally empty, he couldn’t think of anything nor hear a sound. The world seemed like a blurry painting he didn’t understand anymore. He was simply lost and barely comprehended anything when he found himself in the emergencies of the closest hospital. Of course, it was the paramedics who took him there to conduct supplementary examinations but those were useless, he wasn’t hurt, not physically at least.  

 

Following the test, Ryu ended up on a seat, towered by two adults and slowly he came back to his sense.  

 

“Hello?” 

 

“I don’t think this child is in a favourable state to answer your questions inspector.” 

 

“You said the examination didn’t reveal any damages.” 

 

“He still got hurt on his face and saw an accidented body!” 

 

“A body? Joohyun!” 

 

The sudden outburst surprised both the doctor and the inspector, putting a hold on their argument.  

 

“Where is she?? Is she ok!?” He asked as he grabbed the doctor’s hand. 

 

“I’m sorry, I can’t disclose any information unless you’re a family and an adult...” 

 

“But-” 

 

“Ryu Tae-Joon.” Interrupted the policeman.  

 

“Y-Yes?” 

 

“Look I’ll be direct. Our colleagues have interrogated the witnesses while you were being treated and all their testimonies agreed on one point. They said you were responsible of the accident.” 

 

“I’m... responsible?” 

 

If this question was not louder than a whisper outside, it did cause a rictus inside his mind. Suddenly he found himself overwhelmed by all the memories, all the signals she sent him. Heck she even said it out loud! 

 

[They’re right...I could’ve avoided it... I should’ve avoided it! This is my fault! I am responsible.] 

 

“So you confirm?” 

 

“Yes... I knew... I am responsible...” 

 

“You mean that you premeditated your crime?” 

 

“I don’t understand but... I’m guilty. If something happened to her this will be my fault... Her leg! What if it’s already too late!? I should apologize! I need to see her! Please let me see her!” 

 

 “Disgusting.” Spat the cop.  

 

“Wait, sir I don’t think the boy is in his right state of mind. The shock is-” 

 

“Look I’ve had plenty of him. Criminals crying only once they realized they will have to take accountable for their actions. All the same. This poor girl was surely trying to escape from this dumpster. Ryu Tae-Joon, you just assumed being the author of a premeditated attempt to murder against Bae Joohyun. I will now read your-“ 

 

“IT’S YOU!?” 

 

Out of the blue a tall man, about 40 ran and punched the student against the wall.  

 

“YOU DID THIS TO MY DAUGHTER!?” 

 

“I’m-I’m sorry.” 

 

“YOU’RE SORRY?! YOU!” 

 

Joohyun’s father was unstoppable, he kept attacking Tae-Joon as he screamed his pain along some profanities. It took four men to stop Mr.Bae from hitting the boy any more. They draw him away but his crushing words could still be heard through the hallway. 

 

“IF ANYTHING HAPPENS TO HER I WILL KILL YOU! YOU HEAR ME? I WILL KILL YOU!” 

 

What happened was regrettable, of course, yet it did at least raise an opportunity for the doctor to suspend the arrestation by requesting further tests in regard of TJ’s new wounds (much to the officer’s disdain).  

 

A couple of minutes later, Tae-Joon’s parents arrived, accompanied by Wendy, Seulgi, Joy and Yeri. They gasped at the sight of their boy. He was a mess; from his clothes soaked in Joohyun’s blood, his body miserably laying on the floor and his bruised face anyone would’ve been shocked. Wendy was the first to approach her brother and from that moment, all the emotions blocked inside, all the pains and all the feelings causes by the recent events, all came out at once making the male student finally break down. He cried, shout, sobbed unstoppably in his sister’s arms for as long as he could until his body gave up on him. 

 

After that, the doctor briefed TJ’s parents on the situation and the four girls who were eavesdropping burst inside the office to protest. They explained the situation and defended the accused with such a scary fervour that the physician decided to request the help of a psychologist. The latter examined Tae-Joon’s case and came up with a report testifying his inability to get charged on his past confession. The family also engaged a lawyer who demanded a deeper analyse of the situation. They eventually managed to prove him innocent through a lack of evidence but until this day no one know what really happened since TJ refused to talk about it… 

 

//END OF FLASHBACK// 

 

October 03, 2019

(10 years later)

2am 

At Goyohan corp. 

 

“Here’s your meal, sir.” 

 

“That was fast! Boy I’m so hungry! Wait here, I’ll give you a tip.” 

 

“Thank you but I have to go, other customers are also waiting and if I don’t make it in time it will be deducted from my pay-check.” Explained the young adult, a bit flustered. 

 

“Oh… I’m sorry, next time I’ll prepare it ahead!” 

 

“Thank you! Enjoy your meal!” 

 

The delivery man, quickly got back on his bicycle and ride to his next destination but as he was about the corner, he heard the client screaming. He looked back and saw a couple of teens trying to vandalize the building with their spray cans. Of course, he was tempted to mind his own business, he had enough troubles right now to risk his job for a stranger yet… How could he? 

 

So by a swift movement, he changed his direction and rushed to them then jumped out of his bicycle to catch the three delinquents who were paralyse from the unexpected apparition. He also assisted his client until the cops arrived and took them away. Then he looked at his bike which was in a poor state, covered by food, and his phone that had more missed calls than he ever saw in his life.  

 

“Guess I should go grab some cash from the bank before returning…” He picked up the poor vehicle “And look for a new job…” 

 

“Maybe I could help?” Intervened the elder. 

 

“Huh? Oh N-no, you don’t have to! I’m sorry I should’ve not said that out loud, it was rude…” 

 

“You helped me; I must help you back! What’s your name?  And how old are you?” 

 

“Ryu Tae-Joon, 27, but It was nothing much, they didn’t even try to run away.” Stated TJ with embarrassment. 

 

“I’m not talking about this, even though I’m still grateful about it. See I’ve been hesitating about staying here for a long time, I thought maybe I could keep going but you made me realize that I was in fact too old for this job. I should’ve passed the torch a while ago…” 

 

“You’re not that old…” 

 

“I’m 61…” 

 

“And you’re getting bold…” 

 

“Yes I’m- WHAT?” 

 

“W-what?” 

 

“Just wait and it will happen to you too!” 

 

“PLEASE NO! NOT MY HAIR!” 

 

“… ” 

 

“…” 

 

“…As I was saying I need someone to take over, I looked up some profiles but none of them convinced me. However, I have a good feeling coming from you; you seem like a nice guy and my guts are never wrong.” 

 

“…They are this time… I’m not a nice guy and I’m not even qualified to be a security agent…” 

 

“What do you mean?” 

 

“I didn’t finish high school and I can’t exactly afford the formation to be a security guard. I’m not even sure they would’ve let me do the formation…” 

 

“Why not? The company could pay it, our boss is really generous with me, I’m sure-.” 

 

“I went to jail, sir.” 

 

“How long?” 

 

“4 years…” 

 

“Really? Why did you end up there?” 

 

“…” 

 

Facing the silence answer by TJ’s shame, the security man decided to try a new approach. 

 

“What do you do now for a living?” 

 

“I’m a delivery man at the restaurant’s night shift, we’re open 24/7. But I couldn’t get to learn how to drive a car or a bike nor buy those vehicles so I work with my cycle…Um… worked… not anymore.” 

 

“Why a job this hard?” 

 

“It’s difficult enough to get opportunities in normal situations so with my CV and my record it’s barely impossible plus the job pays good.” 

 

“How much?” 

 

“That’s a bit…” 

 

“Answer.” 

 

“1.6 millions KRW (1350$) per month. B-but with tips and if I they need my help during the day it can reach to 1.75 millions (1475$).” 

 

“Then why do you say you couldn’t afford the formation? You’re married?” 

 

“No, I’m alone but I send most of the money to my family.” 

 

“And you want me to believe that you’re a bad guy?” 

 

“…” 

 

“Listen, my job here is hard too but you’ll get up to 2 times your past biggest pay check and a place with electricity, water and gas for free.” 

 

“That’s a lot… I don’t think I deserve-” 

 

“I don’t care about your past and if you want to hide it, fine. I’m only looking for a suitable successor. So what do you say?” 

 

“… It’s crazy but since I’m pretty sure I’ll be fired… I’m in?” 

 

“Perfect. Leave me your phone number, I’ll talk to the boss and I’ll tell you when you can start.” 

 

“S-sure.” 

 

TJ did what he was asked for, then proceed to leave. He went to the restaurant, got expectedly fired, waited, waited, waited and… 

 

October 09, 2019 

 

1 message from Unknown 

 

Hello, this is Mr.Seong. Everything’s in order. If it’s not too much trouble, I would like for you to start your formation before the 15. Please send me your opinion and your measurements as soon as possible (for the uniform).  

 

Against all odds Mr.Seong, the man he helped, didn’t lie. It truly erased a huge weight from Tae-Joon’s shoulders who quickly answered that he was willing to be there even today and to make it better his trainer accepted.  

 

From that day, Tae-Joon was taught everything about his new work and it wasn’t easy but neither was it the hardest thing he had to do. Gohoyan main field were the household products’ smell, like hand soaps, candles, fabric softeners and very soon perfumes. TJ’s job was basically to clean the offices from 9 pm to 1am (sometimes 2 am if he was slow). Thereafter, guard the 4 floors building until 7:30 am when the receptionist arrives then he had nothing much to do except bring the mails/packages to the right floor and just assist anyone on physical task if needed until 11 am. His formation lasted 3 weeks or more precisely until the 31 October, Mr Seong’s last day of services. No one was supposed to be there, except TJ, since it was a national Holiday but the CEO, whom Ryu never saw, decided to throw an office lunch for the event… 

 

31 October, 12:30 am 

 

“Should I wear my uniform? Or a suit? I can’t exactly go with a short… Can I? Let’s ask Google.” 

 

After all his researches TJ decided to play it safe by wearing his uniform’s red shirt with a jeans and black sneakers. Then he went to the 4th floor where the farewell was happening. The man was warmly welcomed by everyone given that they all LOVED him, he chitchatted here and there on his way to his instructor who immediately pulled him in a hug. 

 

“Tae-Joon!” 

 

“Sir.” 

 

“Come here, I want to introduce you to our boss. You never saw her right?” 

 

“T-the boss?! But what if she thinks I’m not presentable?! Or what if she doesn’t like my face! Or-” 

 

“Hahaha don’t be a… Wait is that the uniform? To my celebration? Really?” 

 

“I didn’t know what to wear… It’s my first time at a gathering…” 

 

“It’s not important, kid. Just be polite.” 

 

“A-Alright. Hold on should I shake her hand? Bow? Shake her hand and bow? Can I look into her eyes?” 

 

Mr.Seong just sighed and dragged TJ to a corner where a woman in a black suit was busy deciding between two pastries. “There she is! Miss. Bae! Meet Goyohan’s new guardian.” 

 

Said woman got startled as she turned back to the elder. “Mr.Seong! Why do you always have to scare me like that!?” 

 

“Miss you were scared of a plastic bag, do you really think I am the problem?” He genuinely asked. 

 

“Yes…” 

 

“Hahaha just meet your new worker, Ry-” 

 

The old man couldn’t finish his sentence as the person he wanted to introduce had already pushed him aside. Staring deeply at Joohyun, he slowly raised his hand to cup her right cheek. This gesture made the raven blushed a bloody red. How couldn’t it; her handsome new, yet extremely familiar, employee was caressing her face in an endearing way she rarely saw but heck he was still a stranger!! 

She slapped his arm away and took her coldest glare to share her discontent. “What the hell is wrong with you!?” 

 

“Pretty…” 

 

The way he called her was making her feel uncomfortable which is weird given that she was used to this appellation by now and being even more confused was only fuelling her anger now.  

 

“What?!” She spitted. 

 

“I need to go.” 

 

“No, you’re-” 

 

The young man didn’t let his CEO finish her sentence and ran away, attracting everyone’s attention and gossips which Joohyun hate from the bottom of her heart. 

 

“Miss I’m so sorry! I don’t know what gotten into him!” 

 

“I don’t care this is ual harassment, he’s fired.” 

 

“Please don’t!” 

 

“I said; fired.” 

 

The elder shook his head and sighed. “Tae-Joon’s not a bad child…” 

 

“Who?” 

 

“Oh Right, it’s Mrs.Kim from the human resources who took care of his file... The boy’s name is Ryu Tae-Joon , he’s 27 just like you and-” 

 

And then, everything became clear. She remembered.

 

“Where is he?” 

 

“Well I don’t know, he could be anywhere.” 

 

“Call him, now!” 

 

“But-” 

 

“I won’t fire him if you can tell me where he is in the next 60 seconds.” 

 

“Sixty seconds?!” 

 

“One. Two.” 

 

Usually the CEO is never this rude however at that moment her sanity was long gone. She was scared by this revelation and she needed to take care of it before he could ruin everything she built once more. 

 

As she was lost in her thoughts, the ex-guardian tried to reach out for Tae-Joon twice but he didn’t answer the phone so the old man wrote a message saying there was an emergency which made him call back immediately.

 

“Yes! Tae-Joon it’s important, where are you!?” 

 

“My apartment What’s going on? You’re alright?” 

 

“Fifty-one, fifty-two.” 

 

“Perfect don’t move!” Said the man as he hung up. “He’s in the apartment at the back of the ground-floor!”

 

“I see. I’ll go talk to him, don’t worry too much and enjoy your break Mr.Seong. My present is already at your place. Goodbye.” 

 

After a respectful bow, the raven hastened her pace to the given localisation...


 

I decided to keep writing this story because why not? I just didn't exactly know how (I still don't but at least I have a couple of ideas)

Please let me know about your opinions, thoughts, whatever, the more details the better!