4: The Last Child

A.C.E. : The Lost Children
Please log in to read the full chapter
4: The Last Child "From now on, he will join you all and be a member of this squad.;"  

Little boy who named Chang Kyun skipped down along the road happily with a candy in his mouth as he headed over to his house. “I’m home!” He greeted as soon as he entered the house. Receiving no reply, he dropped his backpack in the living room and hopped towards the backyard through the back door.

He strolled across the yard and went straight to his father’s personal laboratory at the end of the garden. He was certain that he would definitely find his father there and grew excited by only thinking what kind of experiment his father would taught him today. Yesterday, his father had shown him how to dissect a frog and he was fascinated to see its heart continued pumping even though its body had been cut open.

However, once he reached the laboratory, he was quite surprised to see the door was left slightly open because his father always reminded him to keep the door close no matter what. Without thinking much, he just walked into the workroom and searched for his father. “Appa, where are you? I’m home!” Though, he still received no answer and found his father nowhere. His eyebrows knitted together in the middle as he pondered about where his father possibly went.

Reluctantly, he turned around to walk out of there and that was when he noticed a blackish red trail near a table at the corner of the space. “What is that?” He muttered in confused before instinctively arranged his steps to follow the trail.

It totally had knocked every wisp of air from his lungs once he found the source of the long trail in the end. Chang Kyun gasped in horror at the sight of his father lying lifelessly on the floor in a pool of blood and quickly rushed by his side. “A-Appa! What happened? Who did this to you? What should I do?” He sobbed while pressing down his small hands on his father’s chest to stop the blood from gushing out too fast. It took a while for his brain to desperately crawl back to the reality and thought of calling an ambulance.

He stood up weakly and staggered towards his father’s table to find his phone, but then he was startled when a middle-aged man suddenly appeared in front of him out of nowhere. He gritted his teeth on impulse and looked daggers at the stranger. “Who are you?”

IM abruptly shot his eyes wide open and sat up straight on the soft bed. His lips parted slightly and shut over and over again. No sound came out, only heavy breaths. He took a deep breath before emitting out a deep sigh. After a while, he finally realised that he was not alone in the White Cell.

“How long have you been sitting there? Don’t tell me that you’re actually watching me sleeping.” Rather than being all defensive, he let out a cheeky laugh and jumped off the bed, making his way to sit down willingly in front of Villainess. He rolled his eyes when Villainess didn’t answer his question and instead scrolling down her iPad. “So, now you’re ignoring me. Tsk! Hey, old hag! Shouldn’t you at least tell me where am I? By first glance, I already know that this place is too luxury to be called a prison.”

“This is a facility of A.C.E. and we’re a part of South Korea’s private intelligence agency.” Villainess spoke up at last.

“And why am I here? Why am I not being locked up along with my boss and the other fellows?”

“Because you’re a special case, IM-ssi. Or should I call you Im Changkyun-ssi?”

IM flinched a bit upon hearing his real name being called out aloud because it had been a long time since anyone called him that. Still, he shrugged it off soon and let out a dry giggle. “Me? Special? Oh, you flatter me! Okay, now tell me why am I special.”

Villainess ran her fingers on her iPad before waved out her hand towards the air, promptly projecting a holographic picture in front of IM. “I believe that you know who he is.” She initiated and looked at him in the eyes. “This is the last seen of Prof Im, your father, which we could captured. Could you tell me where is he right now?”

He lolled back as he burst out into a boisterous chortle at her question. “You are so funny, aunty! First, you bring me here and tell me that I’m special. But then, you suddenly ask about my father. You totally got me there! And you know what’s funnier?” He leaned in and whispered at her. “He died for a decade already and this is the first time someone asks about him.”

“Died?! What do you mean by he died?”

“Oh, gosh! You don’t know what it means? It simply means he stopped living and one of its synonyms is pass away.”

Villainess slammed her hand on the table in furious and hissed at him. “Stop being savage, Im-ssi! I don’t have time to play with you. Do you even know that your father has been on the list of the most wanted criminals for fifteen years?”

“What?! It’s absurd!”

“Then, can you be more serious? Now, start telling what had happened to him.”

IM remained silence for a moment before putting up a solemn face and leaned back on his chair. “I don’t know much.” He started. “It just, one day, I found him collapsed in his personal laboratory with three gunshot wounds in his chest.”

“When did this happen?”

“I was about seven at that time, so fifteen years ago. If I’m not mistaken it was in early July.”

She replied nothing and only scrolled down her iPad hastily. She seemed bewildered for a few seconds after she found something, but soon she got hold of herself again. She cleared and played the recorded footage of King and his men selling bottles of Blaue and numerous weaponries coated with the toxins to IM. “Can you see the date? This was also taken in early July.”

“What’s the relation?”

“The liquid is called Blaue. It is an extremely toxic synthetic compound and a potent nerve agent. We believed that they planned to use it as a chemical warfare agents because all the weaponries in the video have been coated with it. Prof Im was the one who invented the Blaue.”

“This is damn insane! What are you saying?”

“I don’t know if my theory is right or not, but your father might be already dead at that time. And since we couldn’t trace him down, that’s why he was put on our wanted list.” She explained and bit her lower lip. “Anyway, did you notice anything weird happened around your father before he died? Or perhaps did you find something on the scene.”

His next reply had totally taken her aback. “I met the killer.”

“Do you know him?”

“No, I don’t know him. I barely able to remember his face but I can clearly recalled o

Please log in to read the full chapter