1: Promise

A.C.E. : The Lost Children
Please log in to read the full chapter
1: Promise "Here, let’s make a pinky promise."  

Mrs. Son barged into her daughters’ bedroom on the second floor in panic with a luggage in her hand. She turned the light on and rushed towards the twin who were sleeping soundly on the bed. “Darlings, wake up! We have to go now.” Before she stomped off to the corner of the room, she gave an order to her eldest son who was yawning in the doorway. “Hyun Woo, put some jackets on your sisters.”

Still in a doze, Hyun Woo nodded weakly and plodded to his sisters who aged less than three years than him. The twins grumbled out aloud as he pulled them to sit up. He struggled to put a jacket on Na Ra as she didn’t want to let go of her brown teddy meanwhile Na Bi slipped into her own jacket by herself and slumped back into her sleep with a white teddy in her arms. At the same time, Mrs. Son grabbed some clothes randomly from her daughters’ wardrobe and stuffed them into the luggage.

“Are we ready?” Mr. Son appeared from behind the door with another luggage. Mrs. Son nodded and held Na Bi’s hand whilst Hyun Woo got Na Ra. “Hyeon already booked us tickets to London and he will catch up with us later at the airport.”

Unfortunately, before they could make their run, the main door was kicked open from the outside and a mob of men with guns intruded their living room. Following the mob, a middle-aged man strutted in with a grim smirk on his face, revealing the rows of his yellow teeth.

“Honey! What should we do?” Mrs. Son gasped in terror as she tightened her arms around Na Bi.

Mr. Son gritted his teeth and pushed everyone back into the twin’s bedroom. His eyes roamed around the room restlessly before they fall on the wardrobe. He placed down his luggage on the floor. He picked up Na Ra into his arms before turned to take Na Bi from her wife’s embrace. He then hastily crouched in front of the wardrobe and called out for his son. “Hyun Woo, come here.”

Hyun Woo scooted over to his dad in hurry. He was now fully awake but still confused with what was going on. Being a ten year old boy, at least he knew that they were not in the best situation.

Mr. Son held Hyun Woo by his shoulders as he faced him again after he placed the twins in the wardrobe. “Hyun Woo-a, listen to me! Hide in here together with your sisters and never go out no matter what happened, understand?! And if something happened to both of us...” Mr. Son paused for a moment and glanced at her wife who was barely holding back her sobs. He then continued, “...please take care of your sisters. Promise me!”

Na Ra rubbed her sleepy eyes as she also slowly awake from her deep slumber. She stole a glimpse at Na Bi who was squirming besides her and looked back at Hyun Woo as he gave a bob. “I promise.”

Hyun Woo finally slipped in between the twin but Na Ra tried to leap out as soon as she realised Mr. Son was going to close the doors. Having a fast reflex, he caught her in time but accidentally kicked Na Bi’s teddy bear out of the wardrobe.

“Where are you Reporter Son? I know you are home~” The hum of the man with yellow teeth broke the pregnant silence as he made his way up the stairs.

Mr. Son held his wife close and urged her to stand behind him. They took a deep breath and trudged out of the room in a mixture of fear and fury.

“There you are!” The man with yellow teeth exclaimed.

“What do you want from us?”

“Oh, you know what I want.” He smirked and glanced pass Mr. Son’s shoulder. “Isn’t it, Reporter Son?”

“Whatever you want, we don’t have it. So, leave us alone!”

Meanwhile, in the wardrobe, Hyun Woo flustered as Na Ra begun to cry. “Oppa, why dad lock us in here? Are they punishing us because we always make problems?” Na Bi, on his left, also begun to make a fuss as she finally realised that they were trapped in a narrow space.

“Shh! Don’t cry. No, appa didn’t lock us.” Hyun Woo whispered as he pulled them closer. “Here, let’s make a pinky promise. If both of you keep silent and stop crying, I’ll give you a lot of candies. And we’ll find omma and appa together later, okay?”

“You promised me.” Na Ra snorted as she wiped off her tears and hook her tiny little finger with him, however, Na Bi refused to do so.

“I don’t want candies. I want my teddy!” Na Bi bleated in between her sobs which grew louder and louder, making Hyun Woo to agree spontaneously.

“Okay, okay. I’ll take it, stop crying now.”

Hyun Woo huffed in relieve when both of his sisters calmed down at last. A heavy sighed unconsciously escaped between his lips as he pondered why her sister suddenly became so whiny and stubborn. He pushed the wardrobe’s door slightly open and peeped around the room. He tried to hear something from the outside but weirdly it was noiseless as if only the three of them were in the house at that moment. He wondered if the intruders had dragged his parents to somewhere else.

Na Bi got irritated at her brother as he seemed to never bulge from his spot even though they already found her teddy lied next to the bed. She grunted and pushed him aside before jumped off to her teddy. A huge smile crept onto her face as she squatted

Please log in to read the full chapter