final

a flower in your hair
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sun stood high in the sky, it was a warm summer afternoon, not a single cloud on the sky, the azure blue the only thing you saw for miles, along with the comforting warmth and heat from the rays of the sun.

They’d only been walking for fifteen minutes, but Yeji had somehow managed to ask close to a hundred questions about where were they going. Patience is not one of Yeji’s strong points.

“Can’t you give me a clue?” she asked tugging on Ryujin’s arm.

“It’s a surprise.”

“That’s what you said the last eight times.” she grumbled.

“It’s the only clue you’re going to get, idiot.”

“Ryujin!” Yeji batted her eyelashes and pouted her lips and Ryujin couldn’t help but laugh.

“We’re almost there, just wait.” she said, squeezing Yeji’s hand lightly. 

“Okay.” Yeji said with a sigh. “I’ll try to be patient. But I’m not happy about it!”

 

_

 

“Okay.” Ryujin whispered, slowly guiding Yeji through the spot Ryujin had already picked out and prepared for them earlier. “We’re here. Are you ready?”

“Yes, yes!”

“Okay, one, two, and...”

when Yeji opened her eyes saw that Ryujin had placed a really big blanket above the soft grass, a couple of pillows and a lot of Yeji’s favorites foods.  

“Ryu, I...” Yeji was lost for words. “Did you do all this?”

“Well, I didn’t actually make the food. Or the blanket. Or the plates. Or the-”

Oh, shut up.” Yeji snapped, and kissed her hard on the cheek. “I can’t believe you came up with something romantic.”

“I’m always romantic!” Ryujin fought the blush on her cheeks. 

“Yeah, sure.” Yeji laughed at Ryujin’s face. “This is so beautiful, Ryu.”

“It’s not that big of a deal.”

“You’re doing the thing again.” Yeji teased, throwing a peanut in Ryujin’s face.

“What thing?”  

“The thing where you do something amazing and then pretend like it’s not a big deal, idiot.” she answered.

To be honest, Ryujin wasn’t listening to her. She noticed that the sun was almost gone but the small rays of light that slipped through the branches of the tree above them made Yeji, who beamed at her in such a loving way, glow.

“Ryu?”

“Let- Let’s start eating! The fireworks are going to start soon so we need to finish this quickly.” Ryujin mumbled. “Here, try this.” she took a piece of watermelon and gave it to Yeji.

“Mmm!” Yeji hums, eyes going wide from delight and Ryujin laughed at her as she grabs another piece before she’s even finished the one she’s currently chewing, “It’s so refreshing!” she says with a mouth full.

“Oh my god Yeji.” she laughed. “Don’t talk with your mouth full of food! you spit in my eye.”

“Sorry.” she said with a tiny smile. “Did you make the sandwiches by yourself?”

“I don’t even know how to fry an egg.” Yeji was trying not to laugh. “lia helped me. But I cut the bread without losing any fingers!”

“You’re an idiot, Shin Ryujin, you know that?”

“Yeah, I know.” Ryujin said looking to her left, meeting a bunch of beautiful flowers. She had an idea. Ryujin began to cut the stems, getting a nice amount, before carefully draping them over her arm, and continued on.

She made a semi-circle around the clearing, picking any interesting flowers she saw along the way, until she looped back to Yeji. She was sat on the blanket waiting for Ryujin. Ryujin set the flowers down beside the blanket, before sitting next to her.

“Sorry for keeping you waiting.” she apologized. 

What were you doing?” Yeji murmured.

“You will see.”

She laid out the flowers, weaving them together like a braid and connecting them into a circle, mostly using the red ones.

When Ryujin finished she put the flower crown she had just made to Yeji on her head. “You are beautiful.”
 
“Ryujin!” Yeji choked at the compliment, face turning a deep shade of red.

“You look…” Ryujin seemed to be searching the right words. “...adorable.” Yeji giggled.

“Thank you for bringing me here today… And for calling me adorable.” Yeji specified.

“Thank you for coming with me.”

 

_

 


“Ryu, look!” Yeji’s pointed at a random spot in the sky.

“What?” Ryujin asked without looking away from Yeji.

“Fireworks.” Yeji’s eyes lit up with every new shape, color, and sequence the faltering stars came in. 

“Ryu, did you see that one?! It was shaped like a heart!” the taller girl exclaimed while lightly pointing to the already fading out fireworks.

 “Yeah.” She lied. As much as Ryujin wanted to see the fireworks, she couldn’t t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter