My Own Highlight

My Own Highlight || Yulyen

 

It was a long day after all the piled paperwork I have been doing all this time when I suddenly got a call from a colleague; inviting me to hangout in the evening. Relieving some stress she said and here I am, stepping into a certain bar we usually goes to.

 

It’s like a regular night here, the music was loud with crowd seemed to compete with it to be the loudest with the way they chatter and laughing. I walked past the crowds, avoiding any body contact with them as much as possible.

 

Coming at the bar counter, I sat there and ordered a drink as I see a certain person I’m familiar with... or not, walking into my direction. My eyes squints as the person comes closer, assuring that’s really my colleague, Sakura, but with a long hair.

 

“Yo, Yena, you came!” she started, tapping my shoulder lightly.

 

I scanned her hair weirdly before replying, “What’s with your hair? Have we not met each other for half a year already?” I joked. Not to be rude, I mean she doesn’t look weird but the fact that her hair was always shoulder-length but now it’s longer and down to her back makes me skeptic.

 

“Oh yeah, I decided to have this hair extensions. How is it? Cool, right?” I nodded at her quickly, agreeing that she definitely looks good with long hair. “Also… we just met yesterday, you imbecile!” she reciprocated making me laughs at her remark. She took a seat just beside me, immediately ordering something for her to drink too.

 

Sakura and I talked about random things for quite some time before the music changed into a new bop song.

 

Highlight”

“Highlight”

Highlight”

“Highlight”

 

As the music started, the lights in the room turned into dimness; not a total darkness but it was enough for me to see my surrounding. People were starting getting on the dance floor, making me to divert my eyes there too.

 

At that time, I spotted a petite girl in purplish mid-thigh length dress with some loose on her left shoulder who has started dancing. Her hair was straight brown, quite long on her back but I noticed she has some green highlight on it.

 

I took a timid sip as I feel I couldn’t take my eyes off this certain girl. There's something in her dance that makes my eyes followed her automatically. She looks like a hidden gemstone, shining miraculously with every little move she make. Then I felt a nudge coming from my side.

 

“Hey Yena, come back to earth, will you? You have been eyeing that girl who looks just like you for a while, you know?” Sakura keeps nudging at me but I remain unbothered. I just want to keep watching her dance as long as I can. But I admit that the girl looks a bit like me, is that the reason why I keep my gaze on her?

 

Then, it happened.

 

The girl’s eyes met mine in seconds, offering me a soft but rude smile with her crimson lips. Am I getting caught? I don’t mind even if that’s true. My mind queried and answered by itself now, great, I guess the drink effect is slowly getting into me.

 

With just index finger raised, the girl brought her hand in front of her face; her gaze still fixated on me. I have no idea what was that for, but I’m certain that was for me. I felt another nudge from Sakura at the side. “Why don’t you go there and try your shot?” she asked in teasing tone but I kept my silence, still looking at the girl who continues dancing to the song.

 

Want to know, want to know”

“You want to know?”

 

Somehow I could relate to the song’s lyric as I couldn’t stop thinking about this dancing girl; and Sakura’s last words also not helping by keep ringing in my head. I’m so curious about her. . I held my glass tightly, gulping down my remaining drink before I decided to stand up. I just got the sudden urge to drag my feet away from the counter, nervously heading to the dance floor.

 

I make my own highlight”

 

The light started to strobe as I walk toward the girl, our eyes locked as if she was trapping me in her absolutely deadly sharp yet beautiful almond eyes. She raised an eyebrow, “Show me your dance?”

 

Failing to catch what she said, I didn’t respond. I’m still drowned by her beauty figure this close.

 

“…”

 

“I guess you dislike dancing with a stranger, so lemme put this spell on you. Voulez-vous. You’re-going-to-like-me. You’re-going-to-like-me. You’re-going-to-like-me.” She pointed her index finger toward me, creating circles with it as her eyes caught mine intently. “Did it work?”

 

Her cute chant pulled me back to reality. “T-that’s unnecessary,” I stammered, not a very good time indeed.

 

Tipsiness came over and gets the best of me as I started dancing randomly. My hands moved as if I was swimming freely in an ocean, gaining full attention from the girl while she starts giggling sweetly. She grabbed my hand before she whisper some words in my ear closely. So close that I could feel her soft breath on my neck, sending cold chills throughout my skin in instant.

 

“Just follow me.”

 

The girl began moving her hips slowly, swaying to the left and right. It wasn’t a big move dance filled with energy that you’d see every day in the club, but it was rather an elegant yet delicate move to the eyes.

 

Or at least to my eyes, it is.

 

I felt my head beginning to feel fuzzy as I let the bass of the song boost through my eardrums; and vibrating my entire body. I let the back of my hand to down her bare left shoulder gently, touching her smooth skin carefully.

 

Then soon enough I wasn’t hesitating to follow her steps. Apparently, sheepish smile evident on her face while our body started moving against each other and merge together with the blasting music.

 

Highlight, look at me”

Highlight, look at me”

Highlight, look at me”

Highlight, look at me”

Highlight, look at me”

 

She spun her body right in front of me, making a slight hair flip while doing so. And that was… mesmerizing. So mesmerizing that I had to stop my moves and gaze at her. I pondered would I dare doing this if I was sober? Maybe I would. It didn’t matter if I was drunk or not anyway.

 

I felt her flawless fingers slowly draping on nape of my neck as she captured my defenseless lips with her own moist lips. I didn’t even catch a glimpse of this instantaneous attack for me. Pulse rate quickened and my head begun to spin heavily so I clenched my eyes shut; helplessly succumbed into her temptation. Her lips were… soft, slippery, and sweet. At this exact moment, her insistent mouth was the only solid thing in this dizzy swaying world until she bit my lower lips and broke it off.

 

She brought her face back close to mine, leaning in my ear this time, “You’re quite good in many ways. The name is Jo Yuri by the way.” She pulled back and threw a lightning-quick but somewhat audacious wink.

 

I could feel my cheeks simultaneously heating up by the subtle compliment but she whispered once again even before I could open my mouth.

 

Issneun geudaero neon hi-highlight”

(Just as yourself, you’re a hi-highlight)

 

 

 

Perhaps it really worked; I have fallen, charmed, and bound to her devious little spell already.

 

 

A/N: Hey readers! I decided to publish it here too so hoping you all enjoyed this oneshot. Thanks for reading!