Chapter 1

Royal Invitation

"Our society is divided into classes:

Class A is the Royal Family

Class B is made up of elites that are involved in the government

Class C consists of those who have prestigious skills and jobs in areas such as medicine, science, architecture, and engineering.

Class D members are business owners and land owners

Class E members are those who possess skills in the arts such as dance, singing, music, and painting 

Class F members are those blue collar workers: factory workers, waitresses, cooks, manual labor workers, famers"

 

******************

Probably last night, every person in the nation was watching the news. Why? Because a really loud alarm had rung through every electronic device, alerting us that a Royal Statement has been released. And as our duty as citizens, it was our duty to turn on the TV and listen to the King give his speech.

"Good evening, people of Cahan." The King stood in front of a podium dressed in a black suite with a red stash across his torso. He his hair was black, just like his suit. "It is my honor as the King to be releasing a recruitment ad this afternoon for the upcoming Royal Selection for the Selected Princess. All women from ages 18 to 24 are eligible to be selected as a part of the Royal Selection. As you all must know, Prince Woojin has celebrated his 21st birthday this month and he must start preparing to carry on the throne. In order to carry on the throne, he needs to be wed. A week will be given for all applicants. The Selection applications must be submitted by this Friday at the town halls of your respective towns. I wish you all the best."

Although it was a short speech, it was a speech that was powerful enough to send a ripple through the nation. 

************

"This just in: the town halls have been flooded with young women eager to turn in their applications for the Royal Selection..." 

 

"See, Soorin? You HAVE to go submit your application! Everyone else is doing it!" My younger brother pointed to the screen of the small, rusted dial-turn TV in our living room. "And you fit right in the age group! 19! You're young! You can beat those old wenches! You can become PRINCESS of Cahan!" I covered my ears are he yelled.

"Daehwi, I can't partake in the Royal Selection. It's against my personal views, you know that." I cringed at the thought of it. 

"Yeah, but you know it's a NATIONAL event. And it's the first Selection process since the last one!" Daehwi exclaimed as he held a paper ad of the Selection to my face. 

I pushed the ad back into his chest and stood up from the broken wooden chair I was sitting on. "Obviously it's the first Selection process since the last one." I rolled my eyes. "How can people select girls to fight against each other for the heart of a man? That's vile. AND, how would they know if the Prince will actually like any of them? It can all be for show. Become Princess? Nope. Probably just acting like a Princess. It's all fake."

I turned the tv off and padded towards the kitchen to start preparing for dinner. As I started taking the ingredients out of the pantry, I could sense that it had gotten really quiet in the house.

"It would help our family move up the class ladder, you know..." Daehwi's small voice lingered in the air. 

I turned around to find him teary eyed with the paper ad limp in hand by his side.

Daehwi said this because when a young woman become selected as the new Selected Princess, she would automatically be moved up to Class A, and her family would automatically become Class B. Even if she didn't become the Selected Princess, there was a high chance she would be married off into a family of Class B or C. Much higher and better than our current class, E. 

"Hey..." I said as took steps to embrace Daehwi. "I know it's been a little hard for us. But I'm working on a new dance, and you're making some money from selling your paintings. We're going to be okay. We don't need something like the Selection to get by." 

"But grandma's been ill and can't do business anymore, and mom's been having a hard time finding new students..." Daehwi pointed to the worn piano in the corner of our living room. 

"Daehwi. We're going to be okay. I am not going to participate in what the Royal Family conducts as a game and as a way to deter focus away from serious problems! Look at the class system. It's so broken. The Selection continues to reinforce the class system by instilling hope in the hearts of young women that they can be married off into wealthier families. I won't stand by it." I firmly gave Daehwi's shoulders a pat and started taking out ingredients again. 

"Fine. I guess we'll just suffer this winter." Daehwi shot me a glare and stormed off to his room. 

At his comment I stopped chopping the onions on the cutting board and looked out the window. The leaves had already changed colors and were starting to cover the ground. I sighed in agreement with Daehwi. Winter was coming and my family was barely making enough to get by. With grandma's illness, she was unable to make new tapestries and mom was having trouble finding new piano students. It was going to be hard finding ways to keep warm this coming winter. 

*****************

Five days had passed since the King had given out the announcement. It was Friday and the big red building with a sign that read "Town Hall" was booming with girls handing in their applications last minute. I walked past the town hall with a small 'tsk'. I couldn't believe there were girls that were actually willing to put themselves into such a game. For the status? Money? The prince's heart? All of which seemed so frivolous compared to having dignity. 

A couple streets past the town hall was a large square filled with vendor stands and people. I approached a vegetable stand and began to pick out some potatoes. As the oldest child of the family, I guess it was my duty to make sure the pantry stayed somewhat stocked. 

"Hey, Soorin." The vendor greeted me with a warm smile. 

"Hi, Mr. Choi. Got any good potatoes for me today?" I smiled back at him. 

"Of course. I always have good potatoes. All my potatoes are good." Mr. Choi said as picked up on of the potatoes and knocked on it with a grin. "Now, Soorin. Have you handed in your application for the Selection yet?" 

"No, I haven't. I've decided not to." I kept my eyes on the potatoes and avoided eye contact, hoping to end the conversation about the Selection. 

Mr. Choi placed his hands on his hips with a confused look. "Why not? You are growing into a beautiful young woman. I bet the Prince would fall for you." 

"Thanks, but I don't think so, Mr. Choi." I chuckled. "I think the Prince would have higher standards than a Class E." 

"Are you sure you don't want to give it a shot? It wouldn't hurt to hand in an application." Mr. Choi suggested.

"No, I really don't think I want to. Besides, I'm working on a new dance and I need to put together a performance team. I won't have time." I explained as I took some coins out of my pocket. 

But Mr. Choi kept pushing. "Well, I think it might be worth a try. You should think about it some more. Today's the deadline after all. The Prince is an only child. There won't be another chance for to be selected until the next prince is born. And by that time you'll be too old to be given a chance."

"No, I think i'll pass. Thank you for the potatoes!" I placed 5 coins into Mr.Choi's hand and politely left the stand. 

I made my way further into the square, looking at onions, carrots, and squash. As I was about to pay for a couple mushrooms, I heard a voice shouting.

"Excuse me! Excuse me! PLEASE, move out of the way!!" 

I turned around at the commotion to see Daehwi darting towards me.

"Soorin!! It's Grandma!! She won't wake up!" Daehwi said in between sobs. 

"What?! What do you mean she won't wake up?" I dropped the bag of mushrooms I had just paid for.

"The town doctor came to see her, and he said she's unconscious. She needs help! But Soorin, I don't know what we can do for her. The doctor said she's gonna require a lot of medical help. We barely have enough money to keep our house!!" Daehwi flung himself into my arms and started to bawl. 

My eyes started to focus and unfocus; the world seemed to be spinning. This could not be happening. Why now, of all times. When the only source of income we have is Daehwi's paintings? When I'm not making any money because I don't have a finished dance yet? When Mom's not making any money by teaching piano? Why now? 

I started to panic but my eyes landed on a piece of paper tacked on to the bulletin board. The Selection ad. 

I told Daehwi to go back home and stay with Grandma. I told him to tell Mom that everything was going to be okay.

Then I looked at the clock. 4:45PM. I had 15 minutes. 

I sprinted towards the exit of the square towards the big red building. 

I sprung opened the doors of the hall and the time on the clock read 4:55PM. Five minutes til the town hall closes. 

I stood in front of a booth and tried to catch my breath as a middle aged worker stared at me with wide eyes.

 

"Hi-- I'd like to hand in an application for the Selection."