Deep Breaths and Warm Hugs

The Sun Always Shines Above The Clouds


A/N: This chapter will have some angst but it wont last long because I'm soft! I hope you enjoy :)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“WAIT…YOU’RE OLIVIA HYE?” Chaewon screamed.
_______________

Hyejoo slowly nodded looking up to meet Chaewon’s eyes.

“Wow awesome! I’m really happy you're you.” She said with a smile on her face.

“I’m really happy also. I was worried that you’d end up to be a creepy old man.” Hyejoo said smiling back at her.

Chaewon laughed and leaned back into the couch pausing for a minute before saying, “So I’m your crush right?”

Hyejoo’s laughter quickly stopped. How did Chaewon know that she had a crush on her? She had never told Gowon her crush’s name.

“I- Why would you think that?” Hyejoo asked while forcing a laugh.

“Cause you told me that your crush drove you home silly! Don’t you remember?” Chaewon responded.

Hyejoo suddenly realized this whole time she's been talking to her crush about her crush.

“I like you too you know.” Chaewon reassured her as if she felt her panicking.

In that moment all of Hyejoo’s insecurities were racing through her mind. No way did Chaewon like her. This was all just some joke. She had to go home.


“I’m sorry. I need to leave.” She blurted out. As she stood up to start walking to the door she felt a hand grab her wrist and suddenly she was spun around facing Chaewon.

“Why are you leaving? Aren't you happy?” Chaewon asked her.

“No.” She said coldy.
 
With that she stormed out of the house and headed home. All she wanted to do was get in bed and sleep for the rest of her life. God how was she supposed to face Chaewon in school on Monday?

When she got home she plopped straight onto her bed and didn't even bother taking off her shoes. Her mind was still running around with thoughts of everything that happened tonight. If she didn't go to that stupid party none of this would've happened. She wanted to believe Chaewon liked her but was that even possible?

Suddenly all of her bad thoughts came back. She had been making progress but with tonights turn of events, things were going to get bad again. This wasn't one of the novels Hyejoo loved to read. This was real life and Chaewon wasn't her knight in shining armor who showed up to save her from herself.

In this moment Hyejoo decided she would go back to how things were before she met Chaewon. She would go back to sitting in the library during lunch and she would push everyone away. Especially Chaewon.

She finally mustered up the energy to take her shoes off and lay fully in her bed. She buried herself under her covers as a tear slowly slid down to her cheek. Once one tear came the rest suddenly followed. She clutched her blanket harder needing something to hold onto.

Eventually she fell asleep from her exhaustion. There are nights when all you can do is lay in bed and wish you fall asleep before you fall to pieces. This was one of those nights.

___________


Monday morning


Hyejoo stood at her locker turning the dial to enter her combination. When she opened it she gasped. Inside her locker was a little stuffed animal of a wolf with a note attached. She carefully took the note off the wolf slowly opening it.

 

 Good morning Hyejoo!

I remember when we were gaming one day you told me your favorite animal was a wolf!! Do you like it? It’s so cute, just like you :D
Please meet me in the courtyard for lunch so we can talk.

Your,
Chaewon

Hyejoo slowly folded the letter putting it in her backpack. She grabbed the wolf plush and held it hugging it up to her chest. She felt bad for the way she left Chaewon on Friday night, she figured she should at least go to the courtyard and hear her out.

____________

 

When the bell rang signaling it was time for lunch Hyejoo grabbed her book bag and leisurely walked towards the courtyard. She was nervously anticipating the conversation her and Chaewon were going to have. Picking at her nails she spotted Chaewon and walked in her direction.

“Hi.” Chaewon said smiling at her. She was wearing her cheer uniform and the blue in her shirt appeared to make her hair even more golden than it already was.

“Hi. T-thanks for the wolf plush. I really like it.” Hyejoo gushed.

“Yay! I’m glad.” She said smiling brightly at her.

“I’m sorry for the way I left on Friday. Everything that happened that night was just all too much for me. I- I just really don't understand it.” Hyejoo said while looking anywhere but Chaewon.

“Understand what? Why I like you?” She reached out placing a hand on her shoulder to get her attention.

Hyejoo nodded embarrassed by her insecurities towards Chaewons feelings.
 
“Okay so ask me why.” She said


“What?” Hyejoo whipsered out.

“Come on, ask me why I like you.” Chaewon insisted.

“Um, Ok why?” She asked.

“When I first saw you I couldn't quite breathe right. I was at cheer practice and you were sitting on the bleachers with Sooyoung. The sun was hitting your hair and it looked so shiny and soft. I couldn't keep my eyes off you. I liked you immediately.” She paused smiling at Hyejoo. “So after cheer practice I begged Jiwoo to tell me everything about you but she didn't know much. She just told me that you were the quiet and shy type. Since that day I’ve been trying to find the courage to talk to you but I kept chickening out.”

Hyejoo was at a loss for words. Chaewon was perfect. She wasn't sure what she did to deserve someone so kind hearted. Hyejoo was about to speak when Chaewon grabbed her hand and said, “As Olivia Hye you were my distraction. You made me happy and you were my escape. I really miss my gaming buddy.”

“I miss my gaming buddy also.” Hyejoo quietly said.

She gently lifted her head up eyes meeting Chaewons. She took a deep breath and thought for a minute to come up with the right words.


“You’re the most beautiful girl I've seen. Seriously. You’re like the sun. When I see you I feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I didn't realize it was possible to actually look at someone and stop breathing. You brighten every room you enter and you're smile… god Chaewon your smile.”
Hyejoo took a deep breath. She hoped she didn't sound insane but she had never been good with expressing her feelings.

“I-I’m sorry. I’m not good with words.” She continued.

“Hyejoo that was perfect.” Chaewon stood up and grabbed Hyejoo pulling her into a hug.

Chaewon loved the way she felt in Hyejoo’s arms. The embrace was warm and Hyejoo’s arms felt protective around her small body. She breathed in deeply loving the smell of her perfume. To most people a hug probably meant nothing but to Chaewon it felt like the world.

She pulled back slowly to look up at Hyejoo and was greeted with a soft smile.

“Can I take you out?” Chaewon asked.

“Like o-on a date?” She said.

“Yes Hyejoo. Can I take you on a date?” Chaewon giggled.

“I’d really, really like that.” She said.

Hyejoo couldn't remember ever being this happy. She just hoped it would last.
__________


When Chaewon got home from school she threw her bag down and ran upstairs not even bothering to say hi to her mom. She opened her journal immediately and flipped to the newest page.

 


March 27,

 She thinks I’m beautiful. She thinks I’m beautiful. She thinks I’m beautiful. SON HYEJOO THINKS I’M BEAUTIFUL.