[ 2. ]

Love comes with a Punishment.

 

“Eunbi's declared dead on arrival. The injuries she sustained from the crash were too severe. Eunbi wasn’t able to fight for her life.” Sujeong spoke as soon as she entered the living room with a phone in hand. She made her way towards the tv and turned it off, “you guys should rest now. I’ll contact Eunbi’s sister about this.” Sujeong said and motioned for Chaeyeon and Yena to lead Juri upstairs, as Chaewon was about to back upstairs Sujeong held her back. “What do you want, Sujeong?” Chaewon kept her voice low, but it didn’t help mask her pain. Sujeong took notice of this and made Chaewon face her, “you know you could talk to me about what you feel, right?” The younger remained mum and avoided Sujeong’s gaze, Sujeong remained patient as she knew she shouldn’t distraught Chaewon’s feelings more. She could only look at her with eyes that are clouded with worry, Sujeong knew better than to force anything out of Chaewon.

 

Suddenly, she heard small sobs that came from Chaewon, and it soon turned loud cries. Her whole body shook as she began weeping. Chaewon has reached her breaking point. “Chaewon-ah…” The tears that Sujeong has been holding back started cascading down her cheeks as she engulfed Chaewon in a tight hug. “Why does this have to happen? Why does it have to be Eunbi?!” Chaewon cried her heart out as she clung to the taller girl for support, “this is all my fault. I should’ve stopped her from coming, if… if I stopped her, she wouldn’t get into an accident--” Sujeong pulled out from the hug as soon as Chaewon began saying nonsense, “Kim Chaewon!” Chaewon stopped mid-sentence and looked at Sujeong in shock, the older girl sighed and calmed herself down before speaking again. “It’s no one’s fault, stop blaming yourself. An accident is an accident.” Sujeong gently spoke, staring into Chaewon’s eyes.

 

“But- “

 

“Blaming yourself won’t bring Eunbi back to life, Chaewon.”

 

Sujeong realized she struck a nerve as she saw how Chaewon’s expression dulled, “Chaewon, I-I didn’t mean to-” Chaewon shook her head and removed Sujeong’s hand from her shoulder, “I think we talked enough.” The younger one wiped her remaining tears away as she made her way back to her room. And as soon as she was hidden behind the closed door, Chaewon broke down once again. Her mind was filled with nothing but the demons that keep telling her that she was the one at fault. That she could have prevented Eunbi’s death.

 

Despite her knees weakening, Chaewon gathered her remaining strength to walk to her study table where pictures of her and Eunbi are displayed. She took one of the picture frames and stared at it longingly, somehow just seeing Eunbi in pictures never fails to make her smile. “I’m so sorry…” her voice croaked as she spoke, bringing the picture frame close to her chest. “You know, Eunbi would’ve smacked your head by now if she finds out that you’re taking the blame.” Her head snapped to the direction of the voice and there stood Chaeyeon with a serious look on her face, Chaeyeon lifted herself off the door frame and walked in Chaewon’s room. “Chaeyeon-ah…” Chaewon ran to Chaeyeon without any second thoughts and hugged her tightly while Chaeyeon wordlessly welcomed her with open arms. Chaeyeon chuckled softly as she realized the fairy was close to crying again, “you’re crying again? Have mercy for the fluids in your body Ssamu.” Chaewon couldn’t bring herself to laugh, she remained quiet as she hid her face in Chaewon’s shoulder. “They said Eunbi’s body is in the morgue now,” there was still no response from Chaewon. Chaeyeon assumed that she would at least react at the mention of her late girlfriend’s name but there was nothing. “Chaeyeon-ah, on my behalf. Can you please go see Joohyun unnie for me?”

 

“Why is that?”

 

“I think I wouldn’t be able to face her anymore.”

 

Chaeyeon shook her head and made Chaewon look at her, “why? Is it because you’re scared that she would lash out on you?” Chaewon nodded slowly and heaved a sigh, “it’s stupid, right? You know why?” Chaewon gave a mirthless laugh and latched herself off of Chaeyeon, “I promised Joohyun unnie that I would protect Eunbi. And look at what happened. She got into an accident she didn’t survive just because she wanted to see me. Irony, right?”

 

“But Chaewon…”

 

“What now?!” Frustration was now evident on Chaewon’s face, she was just filled with so many emotions that she couldn’t decipher. “I didn’t come here to make you feel worse; I came here to tell you something.” Chaewon’s eyebrows furrowed as she placed her gaze on Chaeyeon, “my girlfriend is one of the people who investigated what happened, and she told me…”

 

that it wasn’t an accident and it was done on purpose.”

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________

my braincells are actually decreasing and idk if i have any more left akskskas.