Doors

Doors

A oneshot I wrote for an event I did for Solar's birthday. It was horror themed but it is not scary at all. Hahaha. Hope you like it. 

 

She dragged her fingers light across the wooden banister. Slowly making her way to the second story window. Each step calculated, determined. The moon was casting a light among the darkness of the night, full in the sky. She leaned her hands against the sill of the window, leaning into it a bit so she could get a better look out the window.

Someone was coming. A slow smile spread over her deep red lips as she watched them approach the house. Nails digging into the old wood in anticipation. “New toys.” Her voice hummed through the dead air. She quickly her body from the ledge, spinning on her heel, dress flowing out behind her. Making her way to the door to greet her new guests. 

----------

“I can’t believe you dragged me to a house in the middle of nowhere.” YongSun whined as she followed her girlfriend from the car.

Byul thought the couple could use a nice get away from their busy lives, so she spent hours researching out of the way places for them to go. After a few hours she came across this one. The owner had turned her own house into a small bed and breakfast. It was far enough out of the way that Byul knew they would not have any distractions… but each other. 

They walked up the dirt road. They had to park the car near the end of the driveway. The house was surrounded by a forest that Byul thought would be fun for them to explore in the morning. It took them more time than she thought to find the house, night had set in around them, practically nothing but the full moon to light their way. They passed the last tree and the yard opened up to show the house. With the moon back lighting it, it looked beautifully creepy. It was an old victorian mansion. Two stories tall and the colour of blood. The front was a sort of V shape, a circular tower coming out of the middle of it. A balcony stretching around the second level.

YongSun huffed as she dragged her luggage up the path. She stopped dead in her tracks and looked up at the house in awe. “This is the place we are staying?” She gave Byul a look. “This looks like a place a vampire would stay.”

Byul shrugged. “It came highly recommended.” 

“By who?” She said a bit snarky. “The national blood er society?” 

Byul sighed. “Babe, it is too late to go anywhere else.” She reached a hand out and touched YongSun’s shoulder. “Let’s just stay the night and of you still don’t want to be here in the morning I will find us somewhere else to stay.” YongSun gave a nod of approval and Byul let out a breath of relief. 

The continued their walk up to the front door. The large black door have a welcome sign hanging on it, telling them to come right in. Byul opened the door and dragged YongSun in with her. The first thing Byul noticed was the grand staircase, winding from one side of the bottom floor up to a landing on the second floor and stopping at the other side of the room. Everything was a dark rich wood, or black. In the centre of the room was a long desk, a young woman sitting in a chair behind it, looking extremely bored. She was so invested in the screen of her computer she didn’t even notice the girls walk in. 

Byul walked up to the desk, YongSun right behind her, practically clinging to Byul’s shirt. When the girl didn’t look up right away she cleared . The girl jumped, she scrambled to fix the papers in front of her and smiled at them. “Sorry,” She adjusted the glasses on her face, smiling until a deep dimple showed on her face. “Welcome to the Knight House, I am Jung WheeIn.” She gave a polite bow to them, one Byul mirrored. “You must be Moon ByulYi.” She typed a few on her keyboard. 

Byul could almost feel YongSun’s eye burning into the back of her neck, she could really tell she did not want to be here. “Do you have many visitors?” She said just as a casual conversation. 

The girl’s face dropped like Byul just asked her to spill her life story, but only for a fraction of a second before she cracked a smile. “Not at the moment, we are very far out of people’s way, but they come for the adventure.” Byul didn’t know how to take that but she smiled politely. WheeIn swiped their keycards and handed them over to Byul. “You are going to be in room number seven. It will be on the right hand side of the hallway on the second floor. Please dial one on your phone if you need anything.” She bowed again and Byul took that as her que to lead YongSun away. 

----------

YongSun was not happy. Not only did Byul force her to go on some long crazy drive to the middle of nowhere, but it turns out they were staying in some vampiric house. Dust seemed to coat the air around them as they walked. She wanted to admire the beautiful decor but she was forcing herself not to for the sake of her pouting. She followed Byul up to the second floor of the large house. A long red carpet stretched the halls. The first thing to catch YongSun’s eye were the doors. Every single door in the hall was different. 

They continued to walk past the first six rooms until they reached the one with the fancy metallic seven on it. YongSun looked passed their room to the others, the continued to change, no door was the same. This place was so odd. 

Byul opened their door and flicked on the light. It took a second for the overhead light to come to life, as if it hadn’t been used in a while. A large four post bed took up most of one wall, decorated in an emerald colour, matching the long drapes over the floor to ceiling windows. YongSun plopped herself on the bed, still pouting. Byul stood in front of her. “So, what do you want to do?” She tried to sound playful. 

YongSun crossed her arms. “Go to sleep, so we can wake up quicker and get the heck out of here.”

Byul leaned in and rubbed YongSun’s arms. “Come on baby, it isn’t that bad.” 

YongSun rested her hands on top on Byul’s making her stop. “I know Byul-Ah, but out of all the places we could have gone for a romantic weekend away you chose this creepy place.” YongSun would have just been content staying home, cuddling under the blankets and watching movies all weekend, but Byul was stuck on making it special. 

Byul sighed and YongSun knew she was hurting her feelings a bit, but she couldn’t help it. “Okay baby, let’s just go to bed.” As she took a step away from YongSun a knock sounded at the door.

Byul went to answer it. The girl from the front desk was on the other side, tray in one hand, bottle in the other. “Every guest gets a complimentary bottle of champagne.” She said with a child like smile. “And the owner asked me to bring you some of her homemade truffles.” Byul looked a bit dumbfounded but she took them. WheeIn bowed and backed out of the door before Byul could even say thank you, closing the door behind her.

Byul turned back to YongSun, treats in hand. “Snack before bed?” She asked holding them out like a peace offering.

YongSun wanted to roll her eyes but she knew Byul was trying very hard for her sake. “Fine, but I get the extra truffle.” Byul laughed and danced over to YongSun, joining her on the bed with their new snacks. 

YongSun was sufficiently stuffed. She managed to eat six of the small chocolate balls, and between her and Byul they finished half of the bottle of champagne. Now they were curled up in bed, YongSun folded into Byul’s arms. No matter how mad she was at Byul she couldn’t not curl up next to her, she found it hard to sleep if she wasn’t. Byul ran her hand through YongSun’s hair and YongSun was trying not to purr like a cat. “Are you feeling better about the night?” Byul asked her.

YongSun snuggled in closer to her. “A bit, but I do want to leave in the morning.” 

Byul nodded, her eyes closing. YongSun could feel her own eyes starting to fall. “As soon as the sun rises, we can leave.” Byul said in her husky sleeping voice. A sound the soothed YongSun, making her eyes drop faster. It wasn’t long before she was asleep. 

----------

Her heels clicked on the carpet as she made her way to the second floor. WheeIn at her heels like a little puppy. “I gave them the truffles over an hour ago.” She informed her as they walked. “They should be fast asleep by now.”

A sly smile crept up on her face. “Good.” Her hand reached out to take hold of the doorknob, opening the door to room number seven and slipping inside. 

The girls were curled up in each other’s arms, fast asleep, just as the should be. She walked to the side of the bed, WheeIn on the other side. They both stretched their hands out in front of them. An aura of white seeped out of each of their bodies, being absorbed directly into the waiting hands. 
Now the fun could begin. 

---------

YongSun woke with a start. Her hands flew out to look for Byul, who was no longer sleeping next to her. She sat up in bed and gave a quick look around for her girlfriend. Byul was nowhere to be seen, but YongSun’s eyes landed on their door, left cracked open an inch, the light from the hallway spilling in. She removed her blankets and slipped from the bed. Perhaps Byul went on a late night walk and forgot to close the door, but that was very unlike her. 

YongSun made her way to the door and slipped out into the hallway, closing the door behind her. 

The hall was quiet, but eerily quiet. To the point there was no sound at all, not even the hum of the lights. A cool air washed over her, causing her to pull her sweater tighter around her. Her tired eyes tried to look for clues as to  where Byul could have gone. Door after door lining the hallway, each one different, each one pulling her in for different reason. Like a siren’s call, perhaps this is what called Byul from the bed. YongSun’s foot stepped toward the door across the hall. It was pink, perhaps that is why she wanted to go toward it, roses and vines painted along the perimeter. Her hand slowly lifted toward it, like a magnet. She twisted the knob. She threw it open and stepped inside, as if she was no longer in control of her own body.

Darkness engulfed her. Reached out and wrapped it’s essence around her and pull her under. Then she was falling, fast, nothing to reach out and grab because the darkness was so strong it was squeezing her arms and legs, making her immobile. A scream ripped from , mind anticipating the impact below her, but it never came. Soon she was standing upright, darkness no longer squeezing her, but it still surrounded her. Endless darkness still surrounded her every cell. She put her hands out in front of her trying to feel for anything, but nothing but met her fingers. She blindly took a step outward, her heart pounding in her ears, afraid she was going to fall. The ground in front of her remained solid as she stepped. She felt a whimper escape her lips as she walked. She was terrified, she just wanted to find Byul, she just wanted to go home. She continued her descend in the endless darkness. 

Each step was more unsure than the last. Until what seemed like forever, she saw a light. A small little ball, a pin hole in the dark. Each step now becoming more confident. The light continued to grow until she reached a door. It sat beautifully in the middle of darkness. Deep purple and glittering. She almost threw her whole body into it, so grateful to be out of the darkness. 

The door slammed shut behind her. More silence followed. This time however, there was light. Small pockets of light lining the walls. The walls were made of rock, she was in a cave. Great, now she had to find her way out of a cave. She moved forward, the cave getting more and more narrow with each step. She could feel her heart rate pick up again, like the walls were closing in on her. It was fine because she was small so she could fit through the break in the wall. She could feel the rough surface scrap into her skin. 

She was relieved when she broke through to the other side. It opened up to a larger space, but she was still surrounded by rocks. A tap sounded to her right. It continued to move toward her, no longer sounding like tapping but skittering. The sound amplified, growing, from one source to many, now coming from all directions. It started to surround her, like it was closing in on her, in a circle. She turned to go back the way she came, only to meet a solid wall. 

The came in a wave of black, almost like the darkness but moving, coming for her. Thousands of tiny spiders making their way to her. She screamed so loud it echoed off the walls and bounced back at her. She ran. Feet tripping up as she did. She had no idea where, but forward seemed like the only way to go, at the small path left by the parted critters, slowly closing to nothing, so she ran faster. 

She managed to get past the sea, only to trip on a root, causing her to tumble, body scraping the earth. She reached a hand out to grab the ground in front of her, fingers brushing something fuzzy. She ripped her arm back and and looked up. The first thing she saw was the pincers, dripping with liquid. Dark brown mass looking down at her with it’s large black eyes seemed to be looking into her soul. She screamed until her voice went raw, no sound coming out anymore. She scrambled to her feet, legs wobbling like jelly. She shut her eyes and forced herself forward, tears stinging her eyes. She slammed face first into an object. Another door. Light blue and covered in clouds. She ripped it open without thinking, anything to escape what lay behind her. 

Wind slapped her in the face. Ripping into her skin. She was on a ledge, so far from the ground all she could see was shaped of the land below. The ledge seemed to hover in the air, barely big enough for her to stand on. Fear climbed up her body, clawing its way into her mind. There was no where for her to go. She tried to take a minute to calm herself but her heart would not settle, because she knew what she was going to have to do. As far as her brain could tell she was in some sort of fear land, door after door ripping open her mind revealing her deepest fears. She began to sob, hard and uncontrollably. She hugged herself on the ledge, she wanted Byul, she wanted someone to hold to calm her fear but no one was here but her. Her on this tiny little ledge in the air. She took a few minutes, maybe it was a few hours, she couldn’t tell. She wrapped her arms tight around herself, digging her nails into her skin, and she stepped out into the nothing. Falling once again. This time however, the wind sliced into her like knives. Her mind blank with fear, she was paralyzed. Finally she hit it. Door number seven. She way laying against it, body like a weight. She reached a shaky hand out to touch the knob, terrified about what lay beyond but there was no where else for her to go, no other solution. She twisted the knob, force of her body making it open. She began to fall once again.

---------

The last of the white aura escaped the young girl on the bed. Soaking into her skin. She could feel her eyes dilate, taking in the drug that was her fear. She took a shuddering breath from the ecstasy of it. WheeIn looked up from across the bed, final drips of the other girl’s fear absorbing into her. Eyes flashing red, the mark of the demon lying beneath. Fear was their food, their life source. The reminisce of the young girl’s fear washed over her, settling into her. “It is done.” She said voice husky from the energy. 

WheeIn cleared . “That was, amazing.” It was her first time doing this. 

A playful smile spread on her face. “Welcome to Earth WheeIn-Ah, there is more fun to be had.” She met her on the other end of the bed, laced her arm with her young apprentice. Both walking slowly back out of the room, high from the fear. HwaSa loved having guests at her home.

---------

YongSun bolted up in bed. Covered in sweat, heart pounding like a hammer. She looked around wide eyed, she was back in her room. The morning sun burning her eyes. Byul bolted up next to her, breathing heavily. They both looked at each other, absorbing the fact that they were both there. “Did you…” Byul’s voice was rough as if she spent the night screaming.

YongSun nodded, not needing her to finish the sentence. She swallowed a few time, trying to calm her heart. “What was that?” She said, her own voice sounding rough.

Byul ran a hand through her hair. “I have no clue.” 

A sort of calm had washed over them, a peaceful calm. Both of them breathing loudly until it returned to normal. YongSun looked over at Byul. “Let’s get the hell out of this place.” 

Byul nodded strongly. The threw the blankets off of them and scrambled for their bags.

There was no one at the front counter when they got there. Just a sign that said to leave the key for check out. Byul didn’t hesitate dropping the key, grabbing YongSun’s hand and pulling from the house. The house looked so beautiful in the day, but they knew what lay beyond the front door. 

They got into their car, Byul stepped on the gas so hard the tires squealed behind them. They didn’t dare look back. Leaving that hell behind them, and the doors that lead them there.