Unsure

Unsure


An alarm rips Byul from her slumber. Her hand smashes upon the cell phone on her pillow making the very loud sound. With one eye open she swiped the alarm silent and closed her eye again. She wasn’t ready to wake up yet. She took in a large breath, sigh echoing through her still sleeping body. She moved her head deeper into her pillow, getting more comfortable. Her phone sounded off again, a call this time. 

Eyes still shut she fumbled for the phone once again and held it up to her ear. “Hello?” Her husky voice called out in a whisper. 

There was rustling on the other end. “Why do you still sound asleep?” WheeIn’s voice sounded from the other end of the line. “Byul-Ah do you have any idea what time it is?”

Byul yawned loudly, she pulled her phone away from her ear long enough to read the time displayed. “Six thirty in the morning.” She wasn’t sure why she looked, that is the time she set her alarm for. 

“Unnie!” WheeIn’s voice was sharp. “You were supposed to be awake a half hour ago! HyeJin and I are already heading to the car.” Byul heard a tired grunt on the other end, HyeJin was not a morning person. “You’re going to be late! Do you even want to be late on a day like today”

Byul yawned again, no she didn’t want to be late today but the late night she had made her eyes continue to flutter shut as she talked to WheeIn. “I will be ready to leave by the time you get here.” She mumbled over the line.

“You better Byul-Ah or I will…” Byul hung up on her. She switched her phone to silent and put it on the bed side table. She would be ready when they got here, but she still had time to rest before they did. 

Byul rolled over to the other side of the bed, arms automatically wrapping around the girl sleeping in the bed next to her, who let out a whine. Byul tried to snuggle into her neck, letting the fatigue wash over her, and the comfort of her girlfriend in her arms lull her back to sleep. “Who was on the phone?” YongSun asked her, still asleep so it was a little hard to understand her. 

Byul sighed and moved in closer. “WheeIn, they are on their way over here now.” She kissed YongSun’s shoulder. 

YongSun rolled so she was facing Byul, arms wrapping around her waist as she did, the side of her face pressed into Byul’s chest. “Is it time to get up yet?” 

Byul kissed the top of her head. “Not yet baby, you can sleep for a bit long.” She moved one of her hands so she could smooth YongSun’s hair down. 

YongSun was silent for a moment, she was a quiet sleeper but Byul could feel her even breaths against her skin. “Isn’t this bad luck?” She mumbled after a moment. 

Byul gave a chuckle. “I don’t think we fit that superstition.” She continued to YongSun’s hair. “But if you would like I could leave before you opened your eyes.” She started pulling away, only for YongSun to tighten her grip, exactly what Byul knew she was going to do. When YongSun whined, Byul laughed at her. “But it is bad luck.” She joked, poking her in the side.

YongSun shook her head. “You’re right, we don’t fit that superstition because there is no groom.” 

Byul thought about this. “But you are the only one that is wearing a dress so maybe it still does fit.” There was no way Byul was going to wear a dress, even if it was her wedding day, they settled on an outfit that resembled a tux but was not one. 

YoungSun yawned. “No, it is okay, I want to see you before the wedding anyway. As soon as the others get here we will be separated until the ceremony.” That was true. YongSun was having a team of her friends over to their house to get her ready, Byul was going with HyeJin to her and WheeIn’s place to get ready. Though Byul didn’t think YongSun needed all the flashy things, she was already so beautiful the way she was, but she knew her soon to be wife wanted to look like the women in the movies, so she would go along with it. 

They managed a few more minutes of quiet before YongSun’s phone started buzzing loudly. Byul sighed. “I guess WheeIn figured out I silenced my phone.” Byul leaned in and gave YongSun the deepest kiss. “To get you through the day.” She winked, and YongSun slapped her. “We better move, if both of us are not ready in about ten minutes WheeIn will skin me alive.” Byul reluctantly pulled herself from YongSun’s embrace and face the day. The day they would finally be married. 

Byul yawned again. She was now in the car with HyeJin, on their way back to her place to hang out for awhile. Unlike YongSun, Byul didn’t need more than an hour to get ready for their wedding. She was going to wear her hair down, her outfit was already at HyeJin’s, fresh from the tailor. All she had to do was shower and put on some very light makeup. As far as Byul could tell, YongSun was getting the works, hair, makeup, probably bathed in rose water or something like that, Byul would never understand, but if it made YongSun happy, she didn’t care. 

The only thing Byul was looking forward to was finally being able to call YongSun her wife. It was a long process, first it had to be legal for them to do it. Then there was the ask. Byul wasn’t someone who believed in marriage, she didn’t need a paper to prove she love YongSun with all her heart but YongSun always dreamed of getting married. So, when they finally announced the passing of the law, Byul got on one knee, not because she felt her had to, she wanted to, she just didn’t think it was the only way to prove she wanted to be with YongSun forever. However, the night she finally did ask, she took YongSun for a late night walk under the stars, a thing they did often. She took her on a picnic, they were laid out on a blanket looking at the sky. Byul had to fake going to get something, so she made up some excuse to leave YongSun, telling her that her leg was falling asleep so she had to walk it off and like she knew she would, YongSun followed her. Byul pretend to tie her shoe, letting YongSun get a few feet ahead, then she whispered her name. When YongSun turned around, Byul was on one knee with a box I her hand. The look on YongSun's face still made Byul smile, especially the tears that we're in her eyes. Byul didn't know just hearing the word yes would make her feel so happy. Even now as she was remembering it, she was smiling, she wondered how tonight would make her feel. She would just have to wait and see.

.........

Byul was beyond bored. It was a few hours later and she was still dressed in what she left in that morning, sprawled out on HyeJin's couch just watching TV. The anticipation on the evening was starting to have an effect on her. HyeJin was out getting them some decent coffee now that she was awake, leaving Byul to do nothing while she waited. 

She glanced at her phone, it was now eleven I the morning, the wedding wasn't until four, still five more hours to wait, four if she got ready, maybe she could make it an hour and a half. She slid her phone into her hand and clicked it on, YongSun's photo started to appear on the screen, yes Byul was one of those lame people who put their girlfriend as their wallpaper. This made her miss YongSun even more. Byul wasn't a traditionalist, she would have rathered spent the entire day in bed with YongSun and then taken her to City Hall with some friends but YongSun wanted the ceremony, she did too, in a way but being away from her all day seemed cruel, that was Wheein's idea.

Before Byul knew what she was doing she was already clicking the call button on her phone. A few minutes later a slightly flushed YongSun appeared on her screen. Byul already felt her face form a smile. What made it so much better was YongSun smiling as well. “Hey.” Byul whispered.

YongSun gave a short look around, she was in the bathroom, dressed in a robe. “Hey.” She whispered back. “Why are you video calling me?” 

Byul shrugged. “Because I missed you.” She saw YongSun roll her eyes a bit but she smiled again, Byul did things like this a lot. “How is everything going over there?”

Now it was YongSun's turn to shrug. “We're about to start to do my hair.” Byul smiled lazily, sometimes just talking to YongSun in such a relaxed state made her way to fall asleep.

“What are you doing?” This wasn't YongSun's voice. YongSun's face vanished from screen and WheeIn appeared. “Unnie, what did I say! YongSun needs to get ready!” Her eyes darted around the screen. “Where is HyeJin, she is supposed to be keeping you distracted.”

Byul rolled over on the couch. “She is getting coffee.” Byul stretched, slightly less tired now. “Can I at least say goodbye?” She asked. WheeIn rolled her eyes but she handed the phone back over to YongSun. Byul smiled as soon as YongSun came back into view. “Hey baby.” She said softly. “I guess I have to let you get ready now, but I'll see you later, I'll be the one standing at the altar.” That made her laugh. “I love you.”

“I love you too Byul-Ah.” She blew Byul a kiss and WheeIn's hand pressed the end button. Byul felt alone the second the line went dead, she sighed, she supposed she should start getting ready. She pushed herself off the couch and made her way to the bathroom.

........

It was hard finding a place that would perform a gay wedding. Just because it was legal, didn't mean that they were comfortable with it yet, a lot of places band same couples from getting married. However, as if by chance Byul found this one. A small church on the edge of a forest, the wedding itself would take place outside, the set up looked something like a fairytale. Byul was even already outside taking pictures before HyeJin snatched her camera away, the photographer in her never sleeps. 

It was a half hour before the ceremony. Byul and HyeJin we're sitting in her room. HyeJin was lounging and Byul had been pacing, mumbling her vows under her breath, the nerves had finally hit. When she started through her fourth time reading them, the door opened in a hurry. Both girls look towards the door, WheeIn stood there looking panicked. “YongSun ran away.” 

Normally this would have made Byul panic more. Her fiance running away so soon before their wedding but Byul knew better, she knew YongSun. There was a staircase in the church, on the second level a bench was pointing toward a window that overlooked the forest, YongSun had found it on their first visit. Byul found YongSun sitting there, head in her hands. Usually this vision would take Byul's breath away, at how beautiful she was, but it was not the time. Byul walked in front of the window and hunched down in front of YongSun. “What is the matter baby?” She reached out and moved some hair behind YongSun's ear, keeping her face in her hand. “Talk to me YongSun.” 

YongSun looked up, tears her eyes. “What are we even doing Byul-Ah?” A tear escaped her eye, Byul wiped it away. “Isn't this too much, aren't we like I don't know tempting fate or something? Putting our parents through this, our families, our future.” YongSun the thinker, so many questions running through her head.

“Hey, look at me.” She did, large brown eyes soft with sadness. “You were worried our parents would never approve, mine took a little longer than yours but they did. You thought we'd never be able to get married in Korea, and yet here we are at such a beautiful church.” She smoothed more of YongSun's hair. “But besides all of that, you said yes to me, in a heartbeat, without thought, and that is your heart talking not your head. It was your heart that wanted this, wanted me. So, let your heart guide you through this. If you want to cancel, we will leave right now, I will not make you go through with anything, especially if you are unsure.” 

YongSun's tears fell faster. “I want to marry you, I want to spend my life with you.” Her voice cracked.

Byul scooped her up in her arms, letting her head rest in Byul's shoulder. “Then be with me YongSun, in this moment and in all the ones to come, be with me and I will never lead you somewhere you nor I are ready to go.” She let her cry for a few more minutes. “When it seemed like the whole world was against us and giving up would have been easy, we fought through it, fought to be together. So, let's continue the fight, we will fight every day to keep what we have, and I will never go down easy.” 

She felt YongSun laugh against her. “Those are your vows aren't they.” It wasn't a question.

Byul laughed a bit too. “You always did know me the best.” She pulled YongSun back to look at her. Luckily, it seemed WheeIn went for the waterproof make-up, her eyes were a little red but she looked so beautiful, this was her YongSun, her love. “Let's go get married.” She whispered. YongSun smiled and nodded. Byul pulled her to her feet and gave her another hug, one of those hugs where they relaxed into each other and it was as if she could feel their souls connecting. When they finally pulled back Byul sighed with relief. She took YongSun's hand and guided them to their future together.

.........

Byul held YongSun as they finally had their first dance as wives. Both girl's faces we're red, there was so much crying during their ceremony, Byul didn't know she was capable of crying so much. She choked up when she was YongSun start her walk down the aisle. Hair down, white dress trailing lightly behind her, it was as if she was floating toward her. There was not a dry eye in the crowd when the girls spoke their vows. And every single person stood and applauded when they both said “I do.” Their kiss filled with so much passion.

When the song finally ended and they pulled back, Byul looked deep into her wife's eyes, she smiled from her soul. “I love you Kim YongSun.” 

YongSun smiled with her. “I love you, Moon Byul-Yi. Now and forever.” 

Byul gave her a kiss. “Now and forever.” She pulled her back into her embrace. Nothing could have prepared her for how happy she felt in this moment, all of their troubles, their long journey, it didn't end with their wedding but it started the newest chapter in their book. One Byul never wanted to see end and with YongSun by her side, she didn't see that happening anytime soon. This was her life, this was her happiness, and she wasn't going to give it up, not now, not ever.

 

That's all. Hope you liked it. I wrote it awhile ago, i just forget to upload them here (hehe)