Part One

One Mysterious Night

I wrote this awhile ago for a game, figured I may as well share it. The one and probably only WheeSun fic I will write. Dedicated to Ceha, the best WheeSun Shipper.

 

Fall had settled in. The soft cool breeze of the season dancing it's way across the sleeping town, making everything seem peaceful and quiet. But it wasn't going to remain that way, it never did, and she knew that well. 

She kept her feet up on her large brown desk. Twirling her pen between her fingers, trying to make sense of the chicken scratch her partner had left behind on her notepad. It wasn't important, just some silly instructions on how to take care of her precious plants while she was gone or something like that. However, there was nothing else for her to be doing at the moment. That was however, until the call came in.

She almost forgot that she had the landline because most clients would just search up her cell number online. The shrill noise cut through the silence like a blade, shocking the detective from her little game. She lifted the end of the blue rotary phone and pressed one end to her ear. “Jung Investigations.” She almost heard her partners complaints in her head, for not mentioning her name.

The was a crackle on the other end, static reaching her ear. “Is this detective Ceha?” The voice wavered as it spoke.

She rubbed her forehead, this is how it always started, her partner was the better detective, so they always called for her. “This is detective WheeIn.” She responded evenly. “Detective Ceha is away at the moment, what can I help you with?” 

More rustling in the other end, the woman must be on the move, and in a hurry. “The detective was helping me, there is someone after me.” Her breath was coming out in heavy. “She said to call this number if I needed help.” 

Of course her partner would tell them to call the landline, she always had a taste for the nostalgia. WheeIn's eyes flashed to her partner's notepad, still trying to make out the words. “Are you safe right now? Can you meet me somewhere?” 

“No one following me, not yet, but they will be.” WheeIn detected a bit of panic. “Where should I meet you?”

WheeIn thought for a moment. “The Moonflower cafe on seventh.” She said tapping the notepad, words finally making sense. It was a game her partner liked to play, a puzzle to solve.

“I'll be there.” She hung up abruptly. WheeIn grabbed for her jacket that hung on the nearby coat rack. She slid the notepad into her pocket and replaced her glasses on her face. This was not the case she wanted to solve. Why, oh why did her partner go on vacation this week? WheeIn slipped into the fall air. Jacket bundles up as she made her way down the now buzzing street.

----------
The Moonflower cafe was a small building. It was the closest one to the office and one she frequented a lot. It was co-owned but a couple, who also worked in it during the night. She could see the first owner as soon as she walked in the door, MoonByul smiled up at her, nose scrunching so much she looked like a hamster. WheeIn nodded over at her. “Hello Byul, where is HyeJin tonight?”

The woman rolled her eyes at the mention of her girlfriend's name. “She decided that it was a good idea to adopt a cat for my birthday.” She started shaking her head. “Only she is allergic so now she is resting up after taking her medication.” 

WheeIn had been friends with the girls for a number of years, there was no one as sweet as HyeJin was to Byul, every couple was envious.  Who else would get their girlfriend a pet, even when she was allergic to it. “Well at least she tried.” 

Byul shook her head again but a sweet smile was on her face. “What brings you here detective?”

WheeIn eyes darted around the tables in the room. “I am supposed to be meeting a client here.” There was no one around that seemed anxious enough to be here client.

“What do they look like?” She asked while pouring WheeIn's cup of coffee, black, always. 

WheeIn undid her coat. “I am not sure, they are Ceha's client.”

Byul slid her mug over. “Another puzzle.” It wasn't a question, her partner loved to leave her little puzzles to solve in her absence, said it widens her mind. WheeIn just thinks she gets a kick out of WheeIn chasing leads around town, only to find a tiny gold pig at the end. 

WheeIn nodded, sipping her drink. Just then the bell above the door chimed. A woman not much taller than WheeIn herself walked in. Cold air staining her cheeks. Long wavy brown hair pulled over one shoulder, deep brown eyes glancing around the tables. “I think my client has arrived.” She commented to Byul as she walked away. The girl locked eyes with WheeIn as she approached, almost sizing her up but WheeIn was doing the same. She was a very beautiful woman, her pudgy cheeks made her look very child like. “I am detective Jung WheeIn.” She said with a smile.

The look on the girl's face told her this was not what she was expecting. “Kim YongSun.” She said extending her hand. 

WheeIn moved her cup to her other hand to shake it. “Shall we take a seat?” The girl nodded.

Kim YongSun held her cup in her hand so tight that WheeIn was sure it was going to break. Her eyes, still filled with fear, continued to glace out the nearby window. WheeIn sipped her coffee. “Why don't you tell me who you think is after you.” She tried.

YongSun looked over at her, almost like she forgot the girl was there. “My father.” She said with a strained smile. “He found out something about me today. Detective Ceha said she would help me when he did.” 

WheeIn tapped a finger against her mug, fingers itching to grab the notepad in her pocket, but she knew it wasn't going to make sense until Ceha wanted it to. “What was she going to help you with?” She dared to ask, she wanted to ask what her father found out but she didn't.

YongSun removed her hands from her untouched drink, leaning in a little. “She was going to help me disappear. She said she would give me a place to stay for a bit.” 

WheeIn didn't know how to solve her problem without more information. “Well why don't you come stay at our apartment for the night.” She offered. “We can try to get a hold of the other detective in the morning.

YongSun locked eyes with her once again. She took a moment, WheeIn getting uncomfortable under her gaze, it was intimidating how beautiful she was. “I suppose that is fine.” She finally said. WheeIn nodded, paid for their drinks and lead them back into the night

-----------
WheeIn's apartment was not a big one. It was the space above the office, one that she and Ceha shared with each other. She was a bit embarrassed at the mess, she didn't clean because she wasn't expecting company. WheeIn moved some of her stuff off the couch and tossed it in the corner, now aware of how nervous she was having YongSun there. “I will get you something to wear and some blankets, you can sleep here.” She said pointing to the couch.

YongSun took a seat and WheeIn went to go get the blankets. As she entered her room it dawned on her she should have offered her, her bed, or at least Ceha's for getting her into this. WheeIn gathered the spare blankets and returned to the living room. 

She placed them on the couch next to YongSun, who was looking very nervous. She tucked a strand of her long hair behind her ear. WheeIn swallowed hard. “The bathroom is that way.” She pointed down the hall. “And there is bottled water in the fridge you are welcome to.” 

YongSun stood a bit too abruptly, causing WheeIn to step back a bit. YongSun's eyes widened at that, looking sorry for scaring her. “I'll go get washed up.” WheeIn could see a light pink settling in the girl's cheeks. As she passed WheeIn she place one hand on her shoulder. WheeIn froze up a bit. She felt the soft brush of YongSun's lips on her cheek, WheeIn feeling her face heat at it. She quickly pulled back, not making eyes contact. “Thank you.” She said in a rush. “For helping me.” Her voice was hoarse. WheeIn couldn't bring her voice out so she only nodded. YongSun dashed towards the bathroom and shut the door tight behind her.

WheeIn stood there momentarily, skin still burning with YongSun's touch. She opened the fridge and chugged a bottle of water, trying to cool herself. She pulled the notepad free one more time. As if my magic the words printed on the page began to form from the odd script. She is single, enjoy. WheeIn felt her blush deepen, of course her partner would take the opportunity to set her up. WheeIn closed the notepad and shoved it deep in her pocket at the same time the bathroom door opened once again. She spun on her heel, eyes going to the woman standing in the doorway. White night dress hugging her in a different way then it did WheeIn. The detective swallow hard. Mind wheeling with the mystery of the night. Wondering how it would all unfold.