Chapter 9

But Beautiful

It's noon, the sun fully high in the sky and although it's winter, the rays of light brings some warmth to the omega currently cleaning the windows in a long corridor.

He would have preferred the job he was mainly employed for but he can't complain. He couldn't anyway since Seokjin has been gone for three days already. When the other workers are always on their feet without ever whining or let out so much of a groan, Jimin is inspired to do the same.

That doesn't mean it can't get boring sometimes though.

He can't help but daydream as he wipes the glass, too easily distracted by the calming scene laid in front of him. His hand sloppily follows a flying bird outside and when the little animal goes beyond the window frame, his attention diverts back to the still image of snow covered trees and bushes outside.

It's so peaceful, Jimin unconsciously sighed, only noticing when his breath fogged up the glass. Quickly wiping it away, Jimin remembers to move on to the next window.

As he placed his cleaning items next to him, Jimin stares out into the open once more, this time not appreciating the view anymore but instead picturing a happy place in his head:

He's sitting on the edge of a dock, legs hanging of the end of it. It's summer and hot, opposite to the current season. To set the atmosphere, his imagination provides a light breeze and when he pictures a nice, cool lake barely reaching his toes, his mind offers a calming rhythm of small, swishing waves. He likes it that way, quiet, unlike powerful ocean waves that pound into whatever is in their way.

The sun is still the same, high up in the sky, beaming strong but in Jimin's head, his eyes can withhold them. 

It's paradise.

A simple paradise but still one he can't afford and probably never will no matter how hard he works for it. His life isn't fit for it. At least he can wish for a chance to be at peace for free in his head. 

And he gets to control what he wants there-

A loud whoop of joy snaps the quietness in half, followed by a shadow leaping right over him, turning into a big splash in front of him.

The only other person in Jimin's paradise resurfaces, head emerging out of the water with a laugh of pure happiness.

Jungkook is so happy.

Jimin can tell because of his dreamy voice, a solo among the metrical waves, his outstretched arms that seems to embrace the entire lake, and the glowing of his skin that stole the glory and glimmer away from the omnipotent sun. 

Jungkook is free, free to do whatever he desires, explore the joys of the world, even in the one Jimin has created just now.

The Jungkook that he is admiring does not speak to him or look at him yet. He simply allows Jimin to observe as he eventually swims farther away, however, still remaining in sight.

Jimin is content but he can't pretend he doesn't feel a shallow pit of longing inside. It's a feeling his mind can't force out.

Similar to a parent watching over a child, Jimin continues to look at Jungkook splash in fun in the distance but at the same time, feels the urge to call him back before he wanders too far into dangerous territory.

When Jungkook dives underwater again, Jimin was going to call out and tell him not to go too deep but incoming footsteps alerted him.

It's Seokjin that sits next to him, his longer legs allowing the water to wash over the tips of his feet. He pays no attention to the summery view Jimin designed. Instead, he smiled softly at Jimin with matching tranquil eyes.

It's a bit odd since he never really witnessed Seokjin making such expressions, used to the guarded expression he usually sports; even when he was able to relax more, Jimin can see that the man is never fully free from tension. 

He enjoys the imaginary smile though because he's not sure how long it'll take for him to receive another one.

Seokjin holds his hand. There's no detail at first, the touch blank as Jimin tries to figure out whether Seokjin's hands should be warm or a bit chilly, tender or clammy.

He doesn't say anything either. It's probably because Jimin can't make up a conversation that would sound natural between them.

Seokjin then stares ahead, like he's finally taking in the view after examining Jimin first. He does the same, gently squeezing the comforting hand.

He's curious on why he would picture the taller omega with this behavior. Is it what he interprets Seokjin as? Is this a 'Seokjin' he wants to meet, a layer under the current Seokjin he knows?

Whatever it is, Jimin felt like everything is perfect now.

He then becomes a bit shocked over how quickly he had forgotten a certain someone.

Jungkook is no longer in the lake. In fact, he's nowhere to be seen at all. The lake shows no evidence of anyone in it; no ripples, bubbles, splashing.

It's as if Jungkook had left.

Jimin didn't panic like he thought he would. This is daydreaming after all, yet he also couldn't understand why he didn't bring him back, make him pop out of the water again loudly and holler happily. He could have easily reinserted the laughing alpha in the lake, control Jungkook to motion him towards him so they can have fun together.

 

It's something he won't admit out loud but...

Just sitting on the end of the dock, holding Seokjin's hand... seemed like enough.

~~

Although returning back to reality, Jimin loses himself in other thoughts, particularly those pertaining to the handsome omega.

'He'll be okay, I hope,' Jimin thinks to himself. Money is not an issue for Seokjin but he still feels a bit bad that the other omega has to leave his own home for a few days. But he's sure to remind Jimin that it's okay, to see this as a little vacation.

Why is Seokjin so nice?

Is nice the right word?

Jimin can see the stone wall the tall omega puts up from time to time but his intentions are always of good deeds.

And what he said back in his room...

"He trusts me..." he whispers softly as a warm glow ignites in his stomach because Jimin feels bashful yet also proud that Seokjin could feel such a thing towards him.
 

"Hello???"

"Ah!" The intruding voice pulls Jimin out of his thoughts, seeing his startled reflection first in the window.

Turning around, he can see Hoseok standing a few feet behind him. Although he doesn't look mad, his raised brow tells Jimin he should hurry.

"Are you in love with that window or something? You've been scrubbing it for hours," he exaggerates, making Jimin cover his mouth as he laughs.

"Yeah, we're thinking of getting married next spring," he jokes before clearing his throat. "I mean, sorry. I'll work faster and get the other windows done."

"You're weird, Jimin," Hoseok chuckles lightly. "A good kind of weird though. But forget the other windows, I just finished the last ones for you downstairs."

Jimin immediately thanks the beta, putting his hands together to show his gratitude. "Oh! Thank you so much! I'm sorry, I just fell into a daze and that distracted me. It won't happen again!"

"I hope so," Hoseok smiles, a mischievous glint in his eye. "But since I helped you with your chore, you must take one of mines."

"Sure. What is it?"

~~

The beta and omega now stand in front of a door, seemingly normal looking. It's the door to the storage room.

"Really, Hoseok?"

The said person hides behind Jimin even further.

"Why do you listen to those stories? I'm pretty sure the storage room is not haunted," Jimin sighs but Hoseok is intent on not going in.

"I'm not taking any chances. Last time I went in there, the floorboards creaked. I was the only person in there and I wasn't moving!" Hoseok defends himself from his spot a few feet away, safe from the 'evil aura' coming from the room. He then challenges, "If you're so sure there's no ghosts, then it won't be a problem for you."

Jimin rolls his eyes as he unlocks the door. Hoseok squeaks when the door opens with a little force due to not being used that much.

"I'm going in then," Jimin stated, poking his head in first. His hand immediately finds a light switch.

"Hold on. Take this!"

Jimin almost misses the walkie-talkie Hoseok tosses him.

"If something happens, we can communicate using these and I'll send help," Hoseok explains.

Jimin turns it on, a buzzing sound indicating it coming to life. Testing it, he answers back, holding the device close to his mouth, "Copy that, Captain Hoseok. Let's hope I won't need to use this. Over."

With that being said, Jimin disappears into the room, leaving the door open a little.

There's definitely a lot stored in the room, suggested by the tons of boxes, bins, and other clutter that Jimin assumes is what he should be getting rid of.

Although disorganized, there's still indications that the room was tidy at first. It shouldn't be hard to keep it that way with boxes making it easy to arrange in an orderly fashion.

He starts by doing just that, clearing way and adjusting the boxes that seemed untouched against a wall. Some boxes are empty, Jimin keeping them aside to put other stuff in later.

So far, no signs of ghosts yet.

He's in a working zone for a few minutes when he accidentally kicks another box, hearing the contents tumbling out. Groaning, he turns to look at what fell out, hoping it's nothing important.

They're books, photo books to be exact. The omega picks them up but he can't help skimming quickly through them, already choosing one to flip through.

By coincidence, it's Seokjin's baby album. Jimin can't deny his excitement now.

The baby pictures were predictably adorable, and Jimin unconsciously moves on to the other photo books, laminated page after page, almost reading Seokjin's life.

There's something odd though. The more recent the pictures get, the more missing photos there are. There's a few solo shots of Seokjin but not a lot.

It doesn't take long for it to click in Jimin's head.

Taehyung.

Remembering what Hoseok told him when he first arrived, he recalls that Taehyung is basically a banned subject in this household.

It also explains why the storage room is a mess, though he doesn't know why it took so long for anyone to clean it up.

Despite the many missing pictures, the ones that did survive the purge showed a Seokjin he can only describe as...

Breathtaking.

He looked so at peace, satisfied with life, and Jimin can only envy him. The quality of the images are almost professional and he doesn't need to think twice to figure that it's also Taehyung as the photographer. The look Seokjin gives to the camera says it all: adoration

The last pages of the last photo album are blank, empty. Sad.

Jimin couldn't even begin to imagine Seokjin stripping away memories. Many, many, memories. Frozen images that capture the most beautiful moments in his life.

Looking at the dozens of books stacked next to him and remembering how many empty spots there were, Jimin is reconfirmed how much Taehyung played a role in Seokjin's life.

The arrange marriage planned before the both of them were even born meant that Seokjin only knew one love.

Had one love.

Sure, Jungkook was Jimin's first boyfriend, but even he's got to admit that what Seokjin had with Taehyung was stronger, deeper.

That also meant that Seokjin never went without his ex-husband, ever. Even when they were infants, toddlers, their parents kept them together to play, to grow, to simply be together and mold themselves into each other's lives.

It must be scary, to lose someone like that.

And Jimin can't help but feed that idea into his plan.

He'll help Seokjin live as and be seen as Seokjin because from the start of his life, he's only experienced being a part of "Taehyung + Seokjin."

Seokjin is an intelligent person and a hard worker, which is how he got to own his own successful business. However, many only saw Seokjin's success as a result of his then husband's wealth and power.

How did the omega even handle it these past months, living alone? Yes, there's people at his workplace, people who work in his mansion, but thinking about it, Seokjin has no one who knows him through and through.

The only person who did, left.

And that's why Jimin wants to change that, wants to be a friend Seokjin can truly rely on. He wants to do it, needs to be there for the other omega because...

Seokjin saved him.

After Jungkook left, Jimin almost has no purpose in life (he hates to admit that). Everything he did before was to give all that he could give to Jungkook, to care for the relationship they had back then. With him gone, Jimin couldn't even live for himself even when he wanted to because his status alone already makes it difficult to start. It's infuriating, not knowing how to proceed living. Not knowing what to do, what to achieve, what to strive for.

Maybe that's another reason why he searched for Seokjin.

And Seokjin took him in, even with words with a cold front, Jimin got to feel his kindness firsthand.

*crackle crackle*

There's crackling audio from the walkie-talkie and then, "Can you hear me? Hello? Jimin, what's your status? Over."

Jimin takes hold of the device, speaking into it, "I'm okay. The room is half finished. Over."

"No ghosts? Over."

"Hmm, let me do a head count. One, two, three-"

"Stop that!"

Jimin fakes an evil laugh to mock Hoseok more. It got cut off short though when a loud bam makes him jump in surprise.

"Uh- Jimin, what was that? You okay?"

"Um, yeah. I'm fine. But," he walks over, walkie talkie in hand as he examines the huge block. "A huge shelf just fell over. Maybe it's a wardrobe? I can't really tell, the sheet is still over it."

Hoseok rambles something about being careful and watching out and more along that line as Jimin sighs at the situation he is now in. 

"Hold on Hoseok," he walks around the fallen shelf, which had inconveniently blocked the door. "I think I'm stuck in here. The shelf fell right in front of the door and it's too heavy for me to push." He confirms this again by exerting all of his strength into one side of the block of wood; it doesn't budge.

"Oh my god- are you serious? Ok, hang on, I'll go get help! Over!"

With his hero on the way, Jimin doesn't panic. The room is only half finished, the slower pace due to him getting distracted again by the photos.

Minutes later, the room looks more in shape. He's pretty much finished with cleaning when he receives a call, the cheery ringtone stopping him in organizing the last of the boxes. 

'Kim Seokjin'

Despite basically spending all day thinking about him, seeing that name on the screen made his throat go dry. He stares at the name on the screen, deciding on whether he should answer or not but why would that even be an issue when there should be nothing to be nervous about because they've already forgiven each other so maybe he should answer because it could be about work but wait a minute Seokjin is at a nice hotel enjoying expensive food so it's likely not work related so maybe he shouldn't answer and-

The phone stops ringing.

"Why is he calling?" He gives a couple hard taps to the side of the device for no reason other than to give his fiddling hand something to do.

That must have encourage the phone back to life because the ringtone sounds again, its intended cuteness now unwanted as it pressures Jimin to pick up.

'Kim Seokjin' is displayed on the screen again.

'Pick up,' the voice in his head demands.

'It's fine, if it's anything important, he'll leave a message.'

Jimin shouldn't be so conflicted over a little phone call.

'Just pick up, he's your boss, why would it be anything not work related.'

Agreeing with the last argument, Jimin's finger finally taps the screen to answer... just as the ringtone goes silent and the name disappears.

"Ugh," the omega rubs his hand on his face, reprimanding himself, "Jimin, you have to focus."

With the daydreaming, distractions, whatever else keeps interrupting him, Jimin emphasizes to himself to not slack off. Just because a lot has been on his mind these past few days, it's no excuse for him to work less diligently.

Seokjin didn't call again, but a notification pops up, a ding being heard with a notification indicating that there is a voicemail. Holding it close to his ear, Jimin plays the audio.

"Hello? Jimin?"

His voice is hesitant, almost... shy? He can hear him clearing his throat before speaking a bit more confidently.

"Hello, Jimin. It's just me, Seokjin."

There's another pause.

"I, uh... I..... I just wanted to check up on you. You didn't pick up. I know I still have like, another two days left but I was thinking that I've had enough days off, and would probably come back tomorrow."

Jimin can't help it but sigh with a smile displayed on his face. Of course Seokjin would be like that, always so eager to come back and work again. 

"Um, I hope you're doing ok, Jimin."

It's quiet then. Knowing that this isn't work related but Seokjin really just checking on him, Jimin couldn't help the minuscule burst of happiness in his chest, belly, wherever the feeling comes from. But it's still quiet. Jimin checked and the voice message isn't over yet, with a couple seconds still left. He leans in towards the phone more, wondering what was to be said next.

"Also, did you get the.... never mind. I have to go. I'll see you tomorrow. Goodbye."

Seokjin's voice disappears suddenly, making Jimin wonder if Seokjin still had anything left he wanted to say.

But he's returning. Jimin would be glad to see him again but he's also a bit wary, unsure how they'd be like around each other.

A red blush has already starting to overcome his entire face from remembering when Seokjin had last visited his room to apologize. Although it was good that they have forgiven each other and decided to move on, Jimin can't help but feel a bit embarrassed at how much he cried, along with the obvious bluff that cause him to shrink even further into himself just from briefly remembering it.

"Jimin?" Hoseok has finally returned, saving him from his own brain bringing up every little embarrassing thing in his life up. His voice was a bit muffled behind the door as he updates that their more physically stronger coworkers should be there in a few short minutes before skidding away, his steps sounding farther and farther away.

With a hum of recognition, Jimin walks towards the fallen shelf. Removing the white sheet over it, Jimin can see now that it's a wardrobe. Opening the old doors, it's empty inside. Seokjin must've had whatever was in here removed too. 

How did this thing even fall over? On its side too? The omega turns to look where the wardrobe originally stood. 

It's then that he notices a picture frame flat on the floor, not from the boxes and shelves that he was just working on a moment ago. It must have fallen behind or under the wardrobe somehow even though it didn't make sense for it to be on it anyway. 

With nothing to do, he picks it up, wondering what picture it is this time. Only, there isn't a photo.

It's not empty though, Jimin noticing a folded piece of paper tucked into one of the corners. Undoing the back the of frame, he was able to take out the paper, neatly folded into a perfect rectangle. It's old though, Jimin can tell from the softer texture of it. The paper was also decorated, with a small moon printed in one corner.

"Jimin! We're here to rescue you!"

A loud "bam" against the door follows Hoseok's declaration. Jimin jumps up and steps away, slipping the paper into his back pocket.

"Woah! At least let me distance myself first! I can get hurt," he says with no real exasperation.

"Sorry!"

~~

When Seokjin arrives the next evening, Jimin was there to greet him while some of the other workers prepared dinner. It's snowing lightly which Jimin originally thought wouldn't bother him.

He had been standing outside, smoothing his hands over his shirt to get rid of any possible wrinkles when Seokjin's car entered the driveway, driven by the omega himself. Jimin is still not used to that sight since Seokjin is usually driven to his destinations.

As the car stops in front of him, Jimin exhales loudly as he shivers, the new snow clearly impacting him as he runs to the other side of the car to open the door for Seokjin.

"Welcome home!" he greets the taller omega, who stares at him with a slightly concerned expression after getting out from the driver's seat. 

"It's winter. Why are you out here without a coat?" Seokjin asks as Jimin walks him back to the warm mansion. Well, more like waddled him back. Unlike Seokjin who was blessed with long legs and dressed in warm clothes and boots, Jimin was blessed with sturdy but not as long legs and a mind that chose a pair of slippers for him to wear since 'I'm just going to wait for Seokjin at the front of the mansion, it's not like I'll be hiking in the snow.'

"No, no," Jimin ushers when Seokjin's gloved hand reaches to open the front door, stepping forward to do so instead, opening it like a fine gentleman.

He's delighted to hear Seokjin chuckle at his eagerness, commenting, "It looks like you're feeling much better now, Jimin."

In that moment, Jimin also noticed that Seokjin was born with hair that attracts beautiful snowflakes, which sits gently on his head in little sparkly white specks. His hand reaches into one of his coat pockets before handing something to Jimin.

It's a handkerchief. Jimin takes it as the other omega strides into the mansion first, feeling embarrassed once more as he holds the cloth to his runny nose, lastly noting that Seokjin was also lucky to be born with a nose that's better accustomed to the wintry air.

Nevertheless, he glad. As he helps Seokjin out of his winter clothes and follows him the to dining room where he sat down, he's happy to see Seokjin's face light up as a warm, roasted chicken is set down in front of him.

It looks like Seokjin is feeling much better now too.