Chapter 4

But Beautiful

That same night, Seokjin took Jimin to his mansion. He told Jimin that he won't be needing anything he owns in the car, but Jimin took very few and the most precious items to him, which isn't very much anyway. The car itself was hard to leave behind, because it had been the first and only car Jimin had ever owned. It looked sad with old age, the broken windshield, and dull color.

 

They arrived and the fancy car that they're in comes to a stop in front of the mansion. It intimidated Jimin a bit, knowing that he'd be inside a luxurious home for the first time in his life. He hopes that he won't break anything inside because an antique vase could cost more than his simple life.

 

As soon as Seokjin foot got out of the car, he is greeted by maids and butlers. They didn't question Jimin's presence despite some of them having curiosity about him.

 

They got to the front door, which is grand, and Jimin was about to take his shoes off. It was part of his routine whenever he entered his and other homes. But he caught himself after seeing Seokjin enter without hesitation, smudging the sparkly clean floor slightly. Jimin follows him, as a worker already busied himself with wiping the floor Seokjin stained.

 

It scared him, honestly. The ceilings were high, the floor is so clean that Jimin could slip if he looks at it for too long, and every room is lit by the natural lighting from the windows. However, he did like that there is a sense of modernity and friendly yet mature atmosphere.

 

Seokjin stops in front of the stairs, and turns to Jimin. "I'll get you set up so while you wait, I'll have someone show you around." The handsome omega calls out a name to his left, like he knows that the person is there.

 

"Hoseok!"

 

It's quiet afterwards and Jimin wondered if the guy missed his cue or something.

 

"Hoseo-"

 

"I'm coming!" A loud voice echoed down the hallway and Jimin is curious to see the man.

A chirpy man waddled into view, his arms swinging by his sides happily. He is dressed in the same style just like the other workers.

 

"I'm sorry for not coming on time. What can I help you with, Seokjin?" He says like it's scripted into his head. It's probably very common for them to say this, but Hoseok said it genuinely.

 

"Show my new driver the mansion," Seokjin instructs quickly before heading up to the upper floor. Jimin is surprised he didn't elaborate much or give more context. There's no introducing but it's probably just the way things work here.

 

"Yes, sir!" Hoseok bows before turning to Jimin with a polite smile. He takes his bag and finds someone else to take care of it. Then, he focuses back to Jimin. "Follow me."

 

Jimin does so, looking around the mansion as he goes. Hoseok starts the little tour, speaking clear enough for Jimin to hear but low enough to not disturb others. They must be half way done when Hoseok stops and turns to him.

 

"Oh! There's also a rule for us workers. Finish your job first then you can do whatever until you're needed again. I'd say that it doesn't apply to me right now so let's take a break," he says before leading him to an exit outside. They sat down on the wooden stairs and Hoseok finally gets to introduce himself properly.

 

"I'm Hoseok. What's your name?"

 

"Jimin."

 

Hoseok nods, "Are you a beta?"

 

"No, I'm actually an omega," Jimin says quietly. He tried not to sound disappointed but he probably failed.

 

"Wow, really?" Hoseok said. Again, he seems genuine. "The Kims said it'd be less inconvenient if there's no omegas and alphas, so most of us workers are betas, like me."

 

"The Kims... does Seokjin have other family members living here with him?" Jimin asks.

 

Hoseok's smile freezes, then he covers his mouth, flustered. "Um! Ignore that! I'm still trying to adjust to Taehyung not living here anymore. Oh! Don't tell Seokjin I mentioned him to you! Let's get going!"

 

He gets up and Jimin walks behind him. They go inside again and Hoseok began to explain where things are and such.

 

They got to the third floor eventually and that's when Jimin starts to ask about Taehyung again. "What did you mean earlier? Why can't you even mention his name?"

 

"Shh!" Hoseok holds his hands up, his eyes staring at a particular door down the hallway. He lowers his voice. "I'll tell you since I can never keep my mouth shut, but you can NOT let Seokjin know that I said anything. Okay?"

 

Jimin nods. "You have my word. I won't say anything."

 

Hoseok pulls him a couple steps farther from the hall, leading them to the top of the staircase. He looks around first, then leans in. "I'm not sure if you heard the news or not, but Taehyung is Seokjin's mate. They split not too long ago because Taehyung fell in love with another alpha."

 

Jimin looks away at that. 

 

"That other alpha use to work here sometimes too! For Taehyung. I knew him but not too well. He seemed friendly but who would have guessed that he would steal Taehyung away." Hoseok shakes his head in disapproval. "Poor Seokjin. Because of what happened, there's another rule that we all have to obey. No one can say Taehyung's name again. No mentioning him, no remembering him. It's like we have to pretend he never existed. It's hard though, because Taehyung is such a nice man."

 

"What happens if someone does talk about him?" Jimin asks. He doesn't think that ignoring Taehyung like this would help Seokjin.

 

Hoseok shudders. "You wouldn't want to be around Seokjin then. I only clean and help guests but according to the maids who sometimes take care of him, he looked like a walking zombie." He shudders again, this time, closing his eyes as if he's picturing the scary image. "Right before Taehyung left officially, it was terrible! I stayed downstairs the whole time, but I heard that Seokjin ruined his entire room. He shouted at anyone who went to talk to him. He didn't eat either, just locked himself up in his room." The both of them turn to look back into the hallway and at the door of Seokjin's room.

 

"Anyway!" Hoseok moves on, "Speaking of rooms, I'll show you yours!"

 

They go back to the first floor, then towards the back of the mansion. One can see that it, in a way, seems to be separate from the rest of the home. It wasn't bad, but Jimin does feel more relaxed because it looks more like home to him."

 

Hoseok shows him his room, opening the door with a small key before handing it to him. "I'll leave you for now. My room is just four doors down this hall to the right. Let me know if you need anything."

 

Jimin bows and thanks Hoseok. Then, he walks into the room, shutting the door behind him. It's small, but it is made for one person only, so it's spacious for him. He's got to admit, although it is smaller than his old room in his previous home, this one is much neater and fresh.

 

He sees that his bag with the last of his belongings is already there, place on the small table in one corner. The twin bed is made nicely with simple white bedding.

 

In no time, he practically flings himself onto the bed. He felt extremely tired from everything. Even with the relief of finding a job, the sudden transition to a different environment can be a bit overwhelming.

 

He doesn't realized he has fallen asleep until he wakes up from someone knocking at the door. It's probably been only an hour later, or less. Opening the door and rubbing his eyes, the omega is not surprised to see that it's Hoseok again.

 

"Sorry for interrupting," he shrugs with an apologetic smile. "But like every new worker, you got to start learning."

 

Jimin blinks. "I'm worker as a chauffeur. Am I going driving?"

 

Hoseok chuckles, "It's true that your main job would be to drive Seokjin. But you see, he's the only person you'll need to drive. He specifically ordered me to tell you what you can do when he's at work and when you're not in need to drive."

 

"Oh, I see," Jimin says flatly, trying to hide his disappointment. He did kind of want to see the new car Seokjin promised him, even though it will only be for working purposes.

 

But in the end, he's owes Seokjin, for helping him. He'll have to do his best to return the favor as much as he can.

 

~~

 

When morning came, Jimin got up early, had a quick breakfast, then went back to dress in his uniform. His hands run over the nice material of the dark suit, straightening his tie along the way before he puts on his hat and slipping on his black gloves. It's been three days since he arrived, and he's starting to get used to the clothes.

 

By the time he is all set, he has a couple of minutes for Seokjin to be ready to leave. He uses the remaining time to pull the car, which is very luxurious, making Jimin sweat the first time he saw it. An expensive car like this scared him, due to the possible consequences of causing damages to it. But the car had survived the three days that he has drove without a single scratch, so he should be alright.

 

He drives the car up to the front of the house and gets out to stand next to it on the other side. Standing straight with hands folded together, Jimin smiles as the door opens and Seokjin appears.

 

Like always, he comes out gorgeous. Jimin felt envious. Seokjin's long legs steps gracefully down the steps. Jimin opens the door to the back and Seokjin enters, not missing a beat.

 

So far, whenever he drives, Seokjin makes no motion to speak to him, which didn't bother him though. But Jimin can see him in the rearview mirror. Each time his eyes stare at it, Seokjin looked dull. Jimin can only think about when their talk will come. He hopes it'll be anytime soon.

 

~~

 

He picks Seokjin up later that day, but the taller omega didn't look too happy, worse than this morning. He got in without a word and Jimin ponders if he should do something.

 

Instead of sitting in the driver's seat, Jimin got in to sit next to him in the back. Seokjin looks at him in confusion but Jimin rubs his hands anxiously.

 

"Are you okay?" He asks quietly.

 

Seokjin gives him a long stare. "Why do you want to know?"

 

"You look upset. Is something bothering you at the moment?" Jimin asked gently, hoping that he can crack Seokjin's shell.

 

He sighs, "I'll just tell you since you really want to know." He turns away to face the window. "It's just an employee. I guess it's just not his day and he said some things to me."

 

"Mind telling me what he said?"

 

Seokjin hesitates and Jimin was going to take the question back but the latter begins to answer already. "He said that the only reason why I have the power I have now is because I'm riding my husband's coattail."

 

The omega pauses and stiffens when he realized that he called Taehyung his husband, not ex. Jimin's fixated stare makes Seokjin roll his eyes.

 

"I'm over it already, Jimin. Let's go home."

 

~~

 

Seokjin sits up again when Jimin drives to an area that he isn't familiar to. He can tell that they're getting more isloated as there are less and less people along the way.

 

"Hey! I said to drive home!" Seokjin says loudly. Jimin doesn't take his eyes off the road, replying with, "We're together now. It's perfect to talk without anyone listening, don't you agree?"

 

Seokjin mutters, "This is stupid," but doesn't tell Jimin to drive back anymore.

 

They come to a clearing, surrounded by big trees and nothing else. Seokjin would find the place a bit uncanny, but with the sun setting, the beauty overpowered the unsettling atmosphere.

 

Jimin gets out first, then opens the door for Seokjin, who narrows his eyes up at him. "Can't we just talk in the car?"

 

The other omega shakes his head. "No. Come on, it's nice to breathe in some fresh air."

 

Seokjin is then pulled out, despite his dismay. Jimin makes them sit crisscrossed and facing each other on the tall grass, which Seokjin found itchy and dirty. He bears with it just to hear what Jimin has to offer. Yes, he said that he does want to talk with him about what happened to them, but don't they have time to do it later?

 

Although he said this, it was Seokjin who started once they're settled. He leans back, his hands supporting him. "So, tell me about you and Jungkook. Why is he so important to you?"

 

Jimin unexpectedly blushes. His hands fiddled with the dry grass. "Jungkook and I, we met as young teenagers. We were with each other since then, developing feelings as time went by. He's all of my firsts. First boyfriend, first kiss," he blushes even harder, "First... time. I treasured him. He made me want to care for someone. He's what makes me want to work and struggle in my difficult life because I want to be with him and give him what I can until the end." He finishes the question with a pause following shortly after. "Your turn."

 

Seokjin's eyes blink slowly. "Me and Taehyung are similar to that." He sits up more, and pauses to think of how to sum up his life with Taehyung. "Hmm... I knew Taehyung for most of my life. We fell in love and I was happy."

 

"Continue," Jimin said but Seokjin shrugs.

 

"That's it."

 

"That's it?"

 

Seokjin shrugs again. "Well, it's just the not detailed version."

 

Jimin pulls his legs up to hug them, putting his head on his knees. "Be more specific because I can't really understand."

 

Seokjin groans, trying to make it look like he's very annoyed but Jimin laughs quietly at his seemingly lazy behavior.

 

"Fine," he emphasizes. He restarts. "I met Taehyung the day he was born." An image of the memory made Seokjin suddenly sentimental. "Constantly, we were together. If Seokjin's here, Taehyung is too. If Taehyung's there, Seokjin is too. We were life partners, I knew the instant he put that wedding band on my ring finger. We were young, I had doubts but the instant Taehyung vowed to love me 'till death do us part, sealed with a kiss, he earned all of my trust."

 

He glanced at Jimin for a moment and then felt embarrassed. "I should stop, I sound ridiculous." Jimin quickly tells him to continue, urging him. "Go on, please."

 

Seokjin had to take a moment to get back into the moment. "My life with him was perfect. From the moment he became my mate, our hearts were in sync, beating together. He was my life."

 

The nostalgia was getting to him, so he stopped. He faces Jimin again. "You were with Jungkook for quite some time too. You must've felt the same heartbreak as I did."

 

Jimin nods, his chin still pressed into his knees. "Like you, I did experience a heartbreak. But as for how you felt and how I felt, that could be different."

 

Seokjin asks, "You felt betrayed didn't you?"

 

"Did you?"

 

"Of course I did!" Seokjin exclaims. "He was my soulmate. I was destined to be with him. He betrayed all of that, left me for his own selfish wants. I keep asking myself, 'Do all those years together mean anything to him? Did he truly love me? If he didn't, why waste all that time on me, why make me love him harder each time he smiles at me, only to do the same to another man?

 

He only realizes now that he's panting, like he's gonna cry any moment now. "You can't possibly tell me that you felt no anger whatsoever. That's impossible."

 

Jimin finally lifts his head, blowing a strand of hair away from his eyes. "I was mad. But not for long."

 

"What do you mean?" Seokjin's big eyes wavered slightly.

 

Jimin takes his hat off, fluffing his hair out. "I was upset that Jungkook was seeing another person while dating me. But... I realized that he truly loves Jungkook, not me. I told him that I won't be mad at him because he can't force himself to love me. I can't force him to love me either. I... I just can't be angry at him."

 

Seokjin looks at him like he's crazy. "What?Jimin, Jungkook hurt you. Don't you ever wish that he'll get karma someday? You know, pray that he'll suffer the way you did to understand what he did to you?"

 

And what Seokjin hears next is something he never thought about.

 

"Why would I wish that on someone I love?"

 

"Huh?"

 

Jimin puts one of his hands on his chest, where his heart is, and makes Seokjin do the same.

 

"Why would you still love Jungkook?"

 

"I can ask you the same thing with Taehyung."

 

Seokjin frowns, "I do not love him!"

 

"Seokjin," Jimin presses his hand harder against his chest. "I think I know why you hate Taehyung so much. He's hurt you but you yourself have said that you loved him from the very beginning, that you thought he was your soulmate. You don't lose feelings for a person like that so quickly."

 

The omegas stare into each other's eyes, Seokjin gulping nervously.

 

"You hate him because you still love him even now."