Chapter 01

Incognizant
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Park Hayan had grown up with blood and gore always around her.

She was five when she had snuck into her father’s study and looked at the case files he had left out on his table. The photos of blood and organs had made her violently sick.

When she was twelve and her school had mandated a ‘follow your parent to work’ project, she had watched her father perform a heart surgery on a boy barely a few years older than herself.

When she was eighteen and her mother had gotten into a fatal car accident, she had had to go to the hospital and identify her lifeless bloody body since her father was too distraught to do so.

So when she graduated high school and her father tried to encourage her to apply for pre-medicine, she decided she had seen enough blood to last her a lifetime.

Instead she enrolled herself into Dongguk University for Business Administration. Her interest in finance as well as her excellent presentation skills quickly made her the favorite of several professors. Three years later, she graduated from Dongguk University with honors in Business Administration.

She was soon accepted as an intern at Wu Enterprises, one of the biggest business firms in South Korea — they had cited her fluency in eight different languages as the most eye-catching skill on her resume. She was to start in their Human Resources Department and work under a supervisor for four months, after which they would determine whether she was fit to be a permanent employee.

Hayan was determined to secure the job. It would be a dream come true for her to work at a Global Fortune 500 company.

 

 

On the first day of her internship, she had wandered into the large building, lost but in awe of its modern beauty.

The receptionist had kindly led her to the HR department and she had met the man who was to be her supervisor, Son Dongwoon, a handsome but serious man. He pointed out her cubicle to her, gave her a quick tour of the department and then assigned her the task of digitizing a chunk of their paper employee records.

Hayan worked on the task for three days. It was routine and boring but she worked diligently. The other employees in her department seemed too busy to spare her more than a few polite words. They found her bright and lively personality almost painful and as the days passed, Hayan started to realize how dull and lonely the corporate world could be.

So when word of another new intern travelled to the HR Department, Hayan was the most excited. The prospect of a new friend made her look forward to her lunch break even more.

 

 

Hayan looked around the Information Technology Department curiously. The HR Department was two floors above the IT Department so Hayan had never been to the offices. They looked similar in layout to her own department, albeit messier due to the various electronics sprawled about.

She had learned that the newest intern was assigned to the IT department. She only had his name and a photo of him she had found on his application after snooping around in her department a bit, but it was e

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter