The Dynamic - 6

The Dynamic

Lucky for the couple, all Baekhyun could see was Chanyeol.

Quite literally - because the boy had to look up to lock eyes with his crush, he didn’t notice the quick mess between Jongin and Kyungsoo.

“Baekhyun?” Confusion was, of course, evident on the taller’s face. “Why aren’t you in class?”

Not exactly the best question to start with, but Chanyeol already accepted that he wouldn’t have this planned perfectly the moment he stood up.

“I just finished the seatwork,” Baekhyun explained. Walking closer, only now did he notice his two other friends sitting next to each other, but with a bit of what one may call a ‘no-homo’ space in between.

“I was gonna ask if I could talk to you alone.” The couple on the couch took the hint and didn’t waste their breath, immediately leaving the lounge.

“I… I actually wanted to talk to you too,” Chanyeol said.

“Do you wanna go first?”

“Oh, but if you wanna go-”

“Nah you can go first,” Baekhyun pulls him so they’d sit together on the couch. Although he was focused on what he wanted to tell him, Chanyeol was a bit distracted with the fact that his crush was holding his hands. And still is.

Although Byun would’ve wanted to go first, he knew it wouldn’t be the best right now. Because yes, it’s true Baekhyun is confident. But he can also understand social cues, and it’d be really awkward if, after he confesses, Chanyeol wouldn’t feel comfortable to say whatever he needed to say anymore.

Because of Chanyeol’s absent-mindedness though, Baekhyun had to call his name out a few times, even letting go of the other’s hands to wave them over his face. All till the taller would finally pull his head out of the clouds.

“You okay?” 

“Uh yeah, sorry I just - I’m trying to find the right words and stuff,” Chanyeol mumbled.

“Take your time,” Baekhyun smiles. He wonders if luck was on his side, if the taller was thinking the same thing. It doesn’t cost anyone to hope after all, right?

“Okay so…” His chin was up and almost as high as the corners of his lips when he smiled, so he ended up looking elsewhere when he spoke. Finally, he turns to Baekhyun with the same big smile, hoping this would lessen the shock if he didn’t reciprocate his feelings.

Remember though, by default, Chanyeol and spontaneity do not mix.

“So, you remember when you were in the decorating committee last year?”

“Yeah - fun fact, I was stuck there ‘cause a brat stole my emcee spot.” Baekhyun pouted, and Chanyeol was able to laugh for a bit.

“I saw you when your team looked really tired, and I think you were really cool helping them feel energized again,” he said. “And remember when you found my composition notebook before?”

“Yeah?” 

“I don’t think I ever said thank you - so thank you, really. It was kinda embarrassing that you saw some of them-”

“So, you saw the notes?” Baekhyun held in his feeling of accomplishment - so his plan was a success after all. 

Ish. Somewhat. I guess. He’ll wonder why Chanyeol didn’t talk to him earlier some other time.

“Y-yeah. Thank you by the way,” the last few words were almost unheard as Chanyeol gets tongue tied and he looks down. Because of his flustered reaction he ended up looking away, ending his chance of seeing Baekhyun trying to hide a toothy grin. 

“You’re welcome. Is there anything else you wanna say?” He asks after he was able to calm his smile down.

“Yeah! A lot, actually!” Chanyeol’s head snapped up in interjection. 

“Oh, will you compliment me more?” Though he knew it was supposed to be a light tease, the taller couldn’t help but become a blubbering mess. And to the confident Byun, he wonders if these reactions may piece his hopes together into a reality.

“Yeah I will.. So what?” 

This may be the most confidence we may ever see Park Chanyeol. 

But, of course, the same statement is not applicable to Byun Baekhyun. As he holds the boy’s big hands into his little grasp and pulls Chanyeol closer, he tells him.

“No no, go on,” he smiles. “I like your compliments.”

“Okay, great - uh, perfect...” Chanyeol tries to breathe deeply for a bit, “here I go…” 

“So… like I said, you’re a really nice guy and everything-”

“Why does it sound like you’re trying to let me down easy?” Baekhyun jokes.

“Damn, does it? Can I get a do over?” Chanyeol tries to chuckle, but the other could notice that he was genuinely asking.

“It’s okay,” Baekhyun smiles, “I think you’re doing just fine.” 

Maybe it was the soft smile Baekhyun never forgets to bring, or maybe it was the calm reassurance in his words that gives Chanyeol confidence in himself today. Maybe it was a mix of these that light another bulb in the taller’s mind, and quicken the pace of his heartbeat ever so slightly. A pace that, though usually signaled fear and worry, made Chanyeol feel the same exciting way he did the day he realized he’s fallen and doesn’t want to get up.

“You’re just so amazing, and I like amazing.”

Baekhyun looks at Chanyeol with wide eyes, surprised that his hopes might actually come true.

“What I’m trying to say is - well, I like you Baekhyun.” Chanyeol mirrors the smile he’s so smitten of. “I like you a lot.”

It was practically perfect to the teen. Who would’ve thought he’d hear his crush’s feelings on the same day he was about to confess his?

Of course, this would be the last place to be holding back. And Baekhyun definitely does not with his next words.

“Well that’s perfect, ‘cause I like you too.” 

And if Park thought that the smile he saw was enchanting, my god the joy he sees today as the guy quickly brings him to a hug is just something else.

“So, are you free this weekend?” Baekhyun asks.

“I think so, why?”

“Can I take you out on a date?”

“Really?” Chanyeol was definitely shocked at the pace. If he followed his plans, he would’ve waited for a few days of mutual pining as he plans the perfect date. And so he notes that he doesn’t have to follow the fictional white boy’s advice after all.

“You don’t want to?”

“No no!” Chanyeol’s arms quickly waved, with the backs of his hands covering his mouth. He quickly put his hands down to tell him, “I would love to!”

“You’re so cute,” Baekhyun smiles.

Perhaps it’ll take a bit of time before Park Chanyeol stops becoming an absolute mess at every compliment from Byun Baekhyun. 

Not that either of them are complaining.

 

“So you and Kyungsoo were never a thing?”

“No? Where’d you get that from?” Chanyeol says. He tries to move his hand closer to Baekhyun’s, but slowly. So slowly that Baekhyun already noticed it and took the taller’s hand in his.

Baekhyun too wonders why he decided to even bring that up. He’s only really come to the conclusion because of the kids who’d talk about them, but only now did he realize he never assumed that when they hung out.

Maybe it was because he assumed Jongin and Kyungsoo would get together? Eh.

"Also! Jongin would kill me," he chuckled. 

"Really now..." Meanwhile, in Baekhyun's head, the hints start to piece together in dramatic slow motion.

"Kyung scored an interesting boy now." Chanyeol chuckles, blissfully unaware.

"Oh," the shorter tried to hold his fury in, "just wondering, where is Jongin?"

“Ah, Soo hyung! Do you smell the love in the air~” With such perfect timing, the person Baekhyun asked for appeared right in front of them with Kyungsoo right beside him. Now without a giant to block them, he could see the entwined hands of the couple.

You may be thinking Jongin’s just ready to tell Baekhyun the news, but it’s more like Kyungsoo wanted to shove it in the older’s face since he had to hold back for so long. Jongin only noticed where his friend looked and realized maybe, just maybe, he shouldn’t have been so carefree so fast.

"You little er!" Currently, the only thing holding Baekhyun back is his hand, still in Chanyeol’s grasp. A similar reason applies to Jongin, who’s currently wondering if he should make a run for it.

"I'm sorry I just really wanted you to get jealous of Soo hyung and Chanyeol hyung and realize you-"

"You didn't tell me Kyungsoo said yes?!"

"Oh, yeah that well actually how it went was uh…”

As Baekhyun bends down to take off one of his shoes, Jongin takes this as his chance to run and does just so. And as the shorter goes to hunt down his best friend (in hopes his shoe-less foot wouldn’t make him slip), Chanyeol laughs at Kyungsoo’s attempt to be calm.

“Did you tell him?” Kyungsoo asked.

“Kinda? Was I not supposed to?” Only now did Chanyeol realize the whole situation.

“No no, thank you.” The shorter pats his best friend’s back to show gratitude, but the latter was unsure if they were really pats or slaps of a star volleyball player. “You did good.”

“It’s good Baekkie’s chasing your boyfriend with a shoe?”

“Eh his fault - but I mean you finally confessing to your Baekkie.” Kyungsoo turns to look at Chanyeol with an eyebrow raised. “Now tell me, how long have you been waiting to say that nickname outloud?” 

 

----------

 

“When did it start?” 

After Baekhyun got his shoe to hit Jongin perfectly on his forehead, the four went on to their favorite place. The moment the four arrived in the iconic laboratory, Baekhyun took the closest seat (of course, pulling Chanyeol to the seat right next to him). Jongin stalled for a bit, slowly moving to the seat opposite his best friend, while Kyungsoo followed suit. 

Jongin wasn’t really sure if he should reveal all the Chanyeol-related details, because he likes being nice. Also, he doesn’t really know if the older would want it to be exposed, at least not right now.

“I just went up to him, you know?”

“That’s the dumbest answer I’ve ever heard. Kyungsoo?”

“Why don’t you believe your bestest friend!” 

And while Jongin continued stalling, he didn’t realize that his boyfriend didn’t share the same sentiment. (He should’ve though, it’s not like Kyungsoo was being secretive about it.)

“I asked him to help Chanyeol date you,” he answered with a big, big smile. 

Just to be clear, Kyungsoo doesn’t have menace in his intentions. It’s more like having some fun after all the stress.

Usually, Chanyeol would be crying out as dramatically as Jongin did a few seconds ago, but it seems that the thrill from having his feelings reciprocated helped him stay smiley and calm. Kyungsoo notices that and, remembering how joyful he was when he first asked Jongin out, he’s thankful that his best friend gets to experience what he wished for too.

Sadly, the fun has to be cut quickly when the PE teacher barges in the laboratory, asking for Chanyeol’s help. He didn’t really explain why he needed the student’s help, but, seeing how he also took Jongin away since the guy was there, Baekhyun and Kyungsoo assume that there’s some problems happening with a practical test. The younger, specifically, assumes that whatever happened was urgent - had the teacher had a few seconds to spend, his nosy would ask why he wasn’t resting in the clinic with his very sad (excuse) reason.

“So, you asked him out?” Kyungsoo asks. “Just to be clear - I was giving you two space, Jongin was the one trying to listen to the whole confession.”

“Not shocking - but yeah, I’m actually not sure where to bring him yet,” Baekhyun turns to the younger. “Have any suggestions? Anything I should watch out for?”

“Honestly, you could bring the guy to the mall and he’d still love you or something.”

The younger teen looks up for a while, wondering if this is the right time to warn Baekhyun to take care of his best friend, after all, that’s what he’s seen other people do. But also, if not now, when?

“Okay maybe there are some things I wanna remind you about, hyung.” Although he wanted to create a serious atmosphere, it seemed that the older was just happily waiting for his advice. Oh well, he tried.

“It’s his first time ever to date someone, so please be patient. I remember Jongin telling me that you usually go… by instinct? Is that the right way to describe it? But anyways, Chanyeol isn’t as into that, you can say. Maybe you can just give him a heads up on a few things, he’d feel better if he could plan something - well, he’d be happy to plan in general, really.”

Baekhyun nods along to the younger’s advice, showing Kyungsoo his sincerity. 

“Okay I gotchu!” He smiles. “But since we’re on that note, I wanna talk to you about Jongin.”

“I’ll assume you’re not stupid enough to tell me to break up with him, right?”

“Of course not - wait, would you think I’m stupid enough to pull that off?”

“The probability is low…” Kyungsoo purses his lips into a tight smile, “but never zero.”

 

----------

 

Is it just Chanyeol, or did the days pass by so fast?

One moment he was asking Jongin for advice while they became referees for a random basketball game between teachers, the next he was going home with Baekhyun. Then he gets the chance of being tutored by the top science student in their class (yes, it is his one and only) for the quiz in two days, following a small celebration in the laboratory for the high marks the two got after the scores were released. Then came the last day, the last class of the day, and the last hour of Chanyeol getting ready before Baekhyun picks him up.

Currently, in the Park household, you’d find the frantic youngest child shouting questions to his best friend who continues to snack downstairs at the kitchen. It’s been easy so far, since Kyungsoo would mainly answer to ‘yes or no’ questions, but soon enough he decides to walk up and check on Chanyeol.

“Anything else bothering you?” He asks after knocking on the ajar bedroom door.

“I think I’m fine,” Chanyeol says while checking himself in the mirror. “I am fine, right?”

“You like what you’re wearing?” The taller nods. “Good, I think you look great too.”

“Thanks!” 

“You wanna wait for Baekhyun hyung downstairs?” 

“Sure!”

Despite the bright replies, Chanyeol was definitely nervous. How could he not? He barely got over knowing that Baekhyun actually feels the same way - especially knowing he confessed with a script done spontaneously. “Can I even explain why I feel this way?” he’d ask himself because he, in fact, cannot.

“Got any more questions?” Kyungsoo could tell that his best friend was a bit tense. Hopefully, he’ll be able to give reassuring answers.

“Hmm…” The taller pouts as he tries to make sense of his mind. “Well, how did you handle your first date with Jongin?”

“Hm, okay. Honestly, we had lots of fun, it wasn’t that nerve-wrecking. But that’s because we hung out a lot, way before we started dating, remember that. Everyone’s gonna have a different experience, so don’t try to worry about how other people expect a first date to be like. Also, since Baekhyun hyung’s the one taking you out, he probably already has most of the things planned. Just remember to be comfortable, otherwise you’ll only end up feeling pressured to need to do something - it isn’t the 60s anymore, don’t worry… Wait, that was a lot wasn’t it?”

“You’re such a good friend,” Chanyeol places a finger under his nose while mimicking a sob. After chuckling at his friend’s antics, Kyungsoo decides to say a few more words.

“Now, seriously, don’t beat yourself up too much too early. You are better than you think you are, and it was you being yourself that Baekhyun likes back. Be comfortable and I can assure you so will he.”

The two continue their conversation before they hear the doorbell ring. Kyungsoo taps on his friend’s shoulder to pass him a small rose, and the taller quickly thanks him. Now, Chanyeol takes a big breath before approaching the door, excited to see how the other would look.

Byun Baekhyun, of course, does not plan to disappoint.

And, while the stunning boy holds on to the rose from his dazzling date, Chanyeol takes the short moment to cool his growing blush.

With the two lovebirds too caught up in their own world of small talk, another pair of lovebirds walk away from Chanyeol’s house - the owner himself did not notice that Baekhyun arrived with his best friend. But anyway, that didn’t matter right now.

Now out of the sight of the shy couple, Jongin and Kyungsoo walked to the latter’s house.

“I’m so glad it all worked out,” the younger teen smiled.

“Now I don’t have to feel awkward hiding from Baek hyung,” the other sighs in relief.

“Oh yeah… You really hated that…”

“Well I wouldn’t say I was happy, would I?”

“I’m sorry babe,” Jongin pouts. He then proceeds to lock his arm with his boyfriend’s, placing his chin on top of Kyungsoo’s shoulder. “I will never make you go through things that make you uncomfortable, hm?”

“Damn, since when did the wind feel so heavy today?” The older playfully asks.

“Kyungie! Soo hyung! Hyung!” 

“Where’s all the noise coming from?”

“What if! What if I shout out that we’re dating right now?” 

Kyungsoo’s facade drops immediately as he halts their walk to look at Jongin with wide eyes. “You wouldn’t dare.”

Did he notice that their noses were basically touching? Maybe.

“And if I would?”

“Why would you even?”

“Why else?” He smiles, his nose finally meeting his boyfriend’s. “Because I love you!”

And although Kyungsoo breaks the bunny kiss with his laughter, he doesn’t forget to reply.

With his gaze meeting Jongin’s, he gives a smile so wide it created crinkles at the corner of his eyes. “I love you too.” 

 

----------

 

“Are you nervous?” Baekhyun asks the boy, noticing the thirteen times he’d take a sip of water.

The boy drove them to a casual restaurant to dine at before their next destination. It wasn’t a place too simple, nor too fancy, since Baekhyun thought going to a fast-food chain was useless if they weren’t going to an extravagantly amazing place after, and bringing Chanyeol to a fancy restaurant might make him overly conscious of how he’d act there. So now, as they wait for their food to arrive, they take the time for a little chatter.

“Kinda…” Chanyeol purses his lips. “Maybe it’s obvious, but I’ve never dated someone…”

“That shouldn’t matter though,” Baekhyun pouts.

“Hm?”

“To be experienced, does it matter?”

“Well, I mean, I think it’d be really useful if I knew how a date would usually go. Maybe figure out what’s too fast, or too little. Kyungsoo would tell me I need to stop thinking that way - honestly I agree it’s a stressful habit - but it’s just… What if, you know? Like, what if the Chanyeol in front of you was calmer, more experienced, more confident - wouldn’t it’ve been an easier date?” 

Maybe easier, but is it really worth it?”

“...”

“You know what’s wonderful about moments like these? It’s special - irreplaceable. You can’t always be prepared with making memories, and if anything that’s okay. If anything, it makes it all the more special knowing that you get to respond the way you want to at the moment, and when you look back you could cringe or laugh. Memories like that dull down when you feel like you have to plan and make standards, and who knows where that pressure will bring you in the future.” 

Although Baekhyun hoped that his little speech would help his date calm down for a bit, he also wondered if he said too much this time. Being with Chanyeol undoubtedly makes him feel less spontaneous than he would usually like to be but, he admits, it didn’t make him uncomfortable. And he hopes that he too would help the taller feel the same way.

“But don’t think that you’re wrong for wanting to be prepared. Kyungsoo told me you liked being ready beforehand and honestly? I think that’s really smart and sweet. Where am I going with this? I don’t really remember,” the two share a short laugh, “but what I do know is that it’s really cool that you take your time. Like, just to be sure that you’re extra sure and everything. But again! As long as you learn to balance it out, everything should be fine.” 

To Chanyeol, it was one thing to be assured. But right now, it was another thing to not hear that he needed to stop overthinking. After all, yes he knows that he could be more relaxed, but it didn’t mean he could just change just like that. He still remembers the good memories that he relates to him doing what he usually does, he doesn’t want to give it all away so easily. 

“Thank you Baekhyun,” he says. 

There it is, he thinks as he feels a familiar thrill as he speaks. The thrill that made him stand up last Monday, ready to face Byun Baekhyun. 

 

“But why’d you do that?”

“My brother loves me, he wouldn’t dare!”

“...But then he did?”

After their little date, Baekhyun drives Chanyeol back to his house. And, while the conversations in the car were lighthearted and casual, Byun wanted to ask a little question before the taller leaves.

So, now walking to the front of the Park household once again, this time with Chanyeol standing right next to him, he takes the chance to ask.

“Chanyeol…”

“Hm?”

They reach the front of the door.

“Can I ask you something pretty serious?”

“Okay…” Chanyeol looks at him and notices that the teen holds a small smile, so he assumes that the question wouldn’t be too bad.

“Us, now… What are we?”

“Oh…”

“You don’t have to answer now,” Baekhyun reassures. “You can tell me when you’re ready, okay?”

Although he was ready to bid his date goodbye, his thoughts are interrupted by Chanyeol’s hand holding his wrist. His grasp was gentle - similar to him, Baekhyun thinks.

“I’m really happy you’re giving me space Baekhyun, but I don’t want that - no, I don’t need that.”

Baekhyun may not see this, but in Chanyeol’s eyes were soft lights that perfectly outlined the teen in front of him. Because, to Chanyeol, today is the culmination of everything he has gone through. All the worries, the excitement, the joy; all the events that lead to the lighting of a new little compartment in his mind.

Because of that, if there’s anything that Park Chanyeol can be confident in, it is his feelings for Byun Baekhyun.

“You may not get it, but you are always the light of my day. And it’s like every time I see you I find a new reason to why you are that light. For who knows how long - actually I know how long but that’s not the point - I wondered if there was a way you’d notice me.” Chanyeol sighs with a big smile, his hand slowly falling to Baekhyun’s to embrace it. 

As he continues to listen to the taller’s words, Baekhyun decides to entwine their fingers and bring them closer, little by little.

“You asked what are we? Honestly, I want to be able to get to know you more. I want to be able to be with you, whatever may come after. I know I don’t have much experience in this kind of thing, but I hope you’ll give me the chance to learn with you. So, Byun Baekhyun, would you give me the opportunity to be yours?”

Without a second to waste, the confident teen brings his boyfriend so close that his nose barely touches Chanyeol’s chin. While the latter meets his loving gaze, he sees how the boy’s lips go from a soft smile to a soft-spoken response. And to emphasize his affection, Baekhyun quickly raises his lips to place a short kiss on Chanyeol’s cheek.

 

Soon enough, the two head their separate ways, connected by the recollection of today.

While Chanyeol attempts to ignore the knowing stare of his sister by the couch, Baekhyun quickly reaches for his phone to share the good news.

While one wonders what the perfect first good-night text is, the other makes sure to send him a picture of a puppy that had the same sparkling eyes as his boyfriend.

And while they cuddle into their blankets, both peacefully drift into dreams that inevitably include each other.

The day ends, but with the beginning of a new dynamic.

 


 

And so we reach the end!! Wow? Would you believe?? me finishing a fic before it turns 4 years old??? 

I just wanna say first of all - A big big thank you for reading this story!! I had a lot of fun writing it, so I hope you were able to have as much fun reading!! 

Secondly - I will mark this complete ofc buTTTT I may think of writing some extra scenes or bonus chapters so if you have any request or a scene you'd wanna know about feel free to comment about it below :DD

Thirdly and lastly i think ksjdfjks, I would love to hear about your thoughts about the story! Please don't be shy and share the love <333

Thank you again for your support! Whether it be in views, upvotes, comments, or subscriptions, I am forever thankful!! Hope to see yall in future stories <3333