The Dynamic - 2

The Dynamic

"I don't get it?" Baekhyun whines as he follows Jongin to the canteen. These were the rare moments wherein they had no choice but go out to buy food, this time since both played dumb and left their lunches at home. Mrs. Byun and Mr. Kim are disappointed, but at least they don't have to deal with making dinner now.

"Hyung, it's like how you can't be friends with everyone-"

"But what did I do that Chanyeol doesn't want to talk to me?" He continued whining. 

"Hey, you didn't reply when he greeted you the other day," Jongin said as he looked at the food options. 

"I would've talked if I wasn't so shocked that you talked to him!" Baekhyun points at a bowl to his friend, "You take the chicken and I'll take the beef." They went to pay for their rice bowls and ended up sitting on the small stage propped at one side of the multi-purpose hall. The hall was crowded, and they weren't allowed to exit the hall the moment they entered during break times. The door guards are stricter than the guidance counselors at these times.

As the two shared the food they picked out, the two looked around for no particular reason. Even as they talked to each other, they couldn't help but stare at the entrance, the canteen line and everywhere else. The reason why, they can't really fathom.

"So, how's the Kyungsoo confession coming along?" The older elbowed his friend, of course being careful of the precious food in their hands.

"I guess I'm practically done." Jongin threw a confident look, to which the other laughed at.

"Don't forget to keep me updated when you go."

"Speaking of Kyungsoo," Baekhyun looks to the side and smiles at someone approaching. His friend turns to see Kyungsoo walking near them, trying to hide a blush as the boy turns and walks closer to their area. "Hi!"

"Hi hyung!" The boy greets back. He smiles at Jongin, and the oldest feels like he achieved something great.

"Wanna eat with us?" Baekhyun asks, but his gesture didn't signal a question. While one hand holds his food, the other pats an empty space near Jongin. Baekhyun isn't blind, he can see that hint of happiness from Kyungsoo, even if the latter tries to say "sure," in the calmest way possible. Baekhyun is a fool to no one.

At least, he thinks he is.

"Why're you alone today?" The oldest tries to stir a conversation.

"Chanyeol needed to finish some stuff," he replied.

"Really now," Jongin raised an eyebrow. Luckily, silence didn't take over the three, especially with wingman Baekhyun and loverboy Jongin showering Kyungsoo with attention.

 

------

 

The last bell finally rang and the two met up outside near the lockers, talking about whatever came to mind. Of course, with Baekhyun being the one and only ship supporter, he had to bring up Jongin and Kyungsoo's undeniable chemistry earlier today.

"Look at you two getting some," Baekhyun winked at his friend who stared back at him in disgust. "Development! Getting some relationship development!" The former added. 

"Listen son," The oldest said with a fake deep voice. "Things like that, comes with responsibility."

"Hyung! I wasn't even thinking of it!" Jongin's face scrunched even more.

"Is it so wrong to take marriage seriously?" He feigned innocence as his friend groans, not being able to think of another comeback.

"Hey hyung."

"Hey."

"What if," Jongin stalled. 

"What if what?" Baekhyun raised an eyebrow, wondering what kind of bull question is the boy trying to rationalize.

"What if Chanyeol hyung liked you?"

"Wow that would be great," he sighed, "too bad he doesn't even want to be near me."

"Okay hyung listen-"

"Like look at how close he is with everyone! Especially Kyungsoo," he gave a look at Jongin, "no don't be jelly. He isn't competition for someone as handsome as little Jongin!"

Oh, but Jongin knew that.

"One: whatever, and two: hyung just consider-"

"Consider what? Is there something wrong with me? Am I a horrible person to Chanyeol?" Baekhyun went silent for a few seconds before he looked at Jongin with cloudy eyes, "wait, are you telling me he hates me?"

"What! No, no hyung you're great - he would never!" Jongin side-hugged the poor boy. If anyone saw the sight, they would've thought Jongin was the older one, cheering up his baby brother.

What Jongin noticed with Baekhyun's interest towards Chanyeol, is that the boy started becoming more sensitive the longer he can't seem to befriend the other. Not like Jongin had much history with Baekhyun to compare his attitude beforehand, but it was just so evident with his friend. It's at moments like these that Jongin just wished he could blurt everything out already.

But he promised, he wasn't easily convinced, but he promised.

"Uhh, are you okay Baekhyun?" Both hugger and hugee looked up to see Chanyeol awkwardly standing while attempting to look at Baekhyun by his eyes. Sadly, the boy could only look at Jongin and Baekhyun's ears (which were turning slightly red by the way).

"M-me?" The blushing boy choked out. Is the Chanyeol really asking him?

"Is there any other Baekhyun here?" 

"That's hyung for you." Baekhyun pushed Jongin away jokingly. He looked back at Chanyeol who, despite the attempts, is still awkwardly looking everywhere else.

"And yes, I'm fine." The shorter of the two replied with a smile as he thought to do his best. He may end up waking up to Chanyeol ignoring the boy again.

"Oh, that's great," he smiled as well. While the two try to talk to each other like normal people, Jongin smiled as he saw Kyungsoo nearing the sight. 

"Hi babe."

 

----

 

"No wait Kyungsoo where did you get that? It might be dirty!"

"Why would you keep it when it's dirty?"

"There's this amazing process called washing and, like dishes, I wash it after everything's done."

The next day came and yes, Jongin and Baekhyun are back to their old lab, unsupervised like usual. 

But this time, science enthusiast Kyungsoo started tagging along, and his puppy by the name of Chanyeol came with. Not that Baekhyun's complaining, definitely not minding the fact that Chanyeol seems like an actual puppy with Kyungsoo -- he's basically at his cutest with his best friend.

But you didn't hear any of that cute . Nope.

He definitely doesn't mind the fact that because they've become closer, he's been more prone to hearing about the amazing duets between Kyungsoo and Chanyeol. He definitely doesn't mind the fact that everyone's hinting that they support the two's relationship and will accept them if they came out. Baekhyun couldn't care less about that, it should be Jongin feeling that way.

So that's definitely why he's been sticking to Kyungsoo at every chance, making the original duo not hang out as much. For Jongin. So Jongin won't get jealous over Chanyeol. 

It's definitely working, Baekhyun thought. The two are at the other table laughing about who knows what; which means Jongin isn't jealous, which means they can continue being friends, which means Baekhyun and Chanyeol can be close with no problem.

Wait a minute.

Anyway, throughout Baekhyun's little pretend mission, he'd been able to learn more about Kyungsoo. His likes, dislikes, hobbies, love for Jongin, he learned it all in a span of a few lab days.

It amazes Baekhyun on how easy it is to become friends with people that aren't Chanyeol.

Hopefully it wouldn't be like that for longer.

"Baek-hyung the flask!"