Taste the Rainbow

Taste The Rainbow

 

The entire atmosphere is buzzing, every colour known to man filling his vision and music blaring from somewhere up ahead. Despite his initial fear, Yoongi’s never felt happier, more alive. It’s his first pride parade, after he came out to his friends as gay only a couple of months ago, and it just feels so amazing to be… himself. Unapologetically. To be accepted. Surrounded by hundreds of people with similar stories, who understand him.

He feels a hand snake around his waist and looks over at Jungkook as he squeezes his arm just a little, pulling Yoongi into him.

“You okay?” he asks.

Yoongi nods, smiles widely again. “ Way more than okay. Thank you for coming with me.”

“Of course! Come on, let’s go ahead a bit, I can barely see anything.” And with that, Jungkook’s hand is sliding around Yoongi’s back and grabbing onto his wrist, and he’s weaving them through the crowd of rainbow flags.

“Jungkook, you know it’s not really about seeing anything,” Yoongi laughs. “I just wanted to be a part of this.”

“Yeah, but,” he grins, “What’s the point if you don’t even see anything?”

So Yoongi lets himself be tugged through until Jungkook finally stops somewhere he apparently deems a suitable parade-watching spot - only Yoongi can still hardly see much more than the flags hanging high in the air, everything else blocked by the extremely tall people who decided they were going to stand in front of him. Jungkook notices Yoongi’s pout and looks between it and the parade, finally putting two and two together and bursting out laughing.

“Hey!” Yoongi huffs, pout growing more pronounced.

Jungkook cackles for like, a solid five minutes, much to Yoongi’s displeasure, but then he finally composes himself and hands his little pride flag to Yoongi, who takes it on instinct. With both hands free, Jungkook gives no warning before bending down and lifting Yoongi up by his thighs. Yoongi represses a yelp and attempts to hit Jungkook to get him to put him the down, but he does get a glimpse of a group of drag queens in the parade from his new vantage point, each dressed a different colour of the rainbow. Not ten seconds later, Jungkook all but drops him - Yoongi’s own fault, probably, for repeatedly smacking his hands - breaking down into hysterics yet again.

“Hate you,” Yoongi sticks his tongue out and turns away, folding his arms. He knows he’s being childish but he honestly couldn’t care less.

“I was doing you a favour!” Jungkook retaliates in mock offence, “Aren’t you glad I helped your short finally see what was going on?”

Yoongi kicks him in the shin.

 

They stay and watch the parade a little longer - or try to at least - before taking to wandering around the area, both of them seeking to get a way from the mass of people for a bit. Yoongi sticks his pride flag behind his ear as they walk through the streets. Neither of them say anything, just listening to the noise from the festival, carrying over despite the street they’re on being relatively quiet and away from the main Pride activities.

“Wanna get food?” Yoongi suggests.

“I always want food.”

“I know,” Yoongi laughs, “Your stomach is literally a bottomless pit.”

“Hey, a man’s gotta eat a lot to maintain all this!” Jungkook lifts his shirt sleeve up and flexes his muscles. Yoongi almost walks into a lampost.

“All what, I can’t see anything,” is what he says, though. A blatant lie, and they both probably know it, if Yoongi is as obvious as he thinks he is.

Jungkook laughs and bumps into Yoongi’s shoulder. “Well, if I’ve got nothing, than you must practically not exist. You know, with your stick limbs.”

“Hey, my ‘stick limbs’ could still knock you out if they wanted,” Yoongi glares, but it doesn’t last long.

They head into a cafe, choosing a table by the window once they’ve got their food. Yoongi takes a moment to look at Jungkook’s features while he’s distracted by his food. He’s currently glowing a healthy tan, the sunlight from the window highlighting his features prettily, as well as the little rainbow flag Yoongi had painted on his cheek earlier. He has matching ones on his own cheeks, too, courtesy of Jungkook.

He’d told himself he’d gotten over his crush on Jungkook, and he had, mostly. But god, if the younger wasn’t the most attractive person he’d ever seen. And it didn’t help that he was also the sweetest person he’d ever met. After a year of pining silently, and pretending to be happy for him and his boyfriend, he had gotten over his… infatuation, and he was so happy being friends with him. But still, if Jungkook were to ask him out, he’d say yes in a heartbeat. And ever since Jungkook broke up with his boyfriend, he may have had some of his initial feelings and hope rekindled. But only a little.

He shakes his head and turns his attention back to his food, taking a bite out of his toastie.

“So, how’s your first pride so far?” Jungkook asks through a mouthful of food.

“Amazing!” Yoongi replies. “It feels nice, you know, just, everything. Also, those drag queens had amazing outfits.”

“For real,” Jungkook agrees, and then, “See, you wouldn’t have gotten to see them properly if I didn’t lift you up!”

Yoongi kicks him again under the table, which builds into some sort of battle until Yoongi complains about Jungkook dirtying and ruining his jeans, which effectively stops the kicking, but not the bickering.

“You dirtied my jeans first! Are mine not important?” Jungkook clutches his heart over-dramatically, “I’m hurt, Yoongi, do you only care about yourself?”

“I have no sympathy for condescending tall es,” Yoongi retorts indignantly.

Jungkook snorts. “‘Condescending tall ’, feel like that should be my new bio or something.”

 

Back to wandering the streets, drinks in hand, they continue to watch the pride-goers and the parade. They come to a stop one on of the slightly less busy streets, the centre of it full with people, but the pavements left empty enough. They hadn’t paid for tickets to see the actual live events, since they’re both pretty broke, and Yoongi really just wanted to experience the parade and the whole atmosphere anyway. The bars and parties that are going on aren’t really his thing either, since they’d be incredibly crowded, so he’s fine with what they had been doing - just wandering around, talking to random people occasionally, getting glimpses of the parade, taking photos.

He leans against the wall behind him as he watches the colourful excitement on the road, taking a sip of his iced americano. He catches sight of two girls hugging, pure joy on their faces. They look into each other’s eyes when they pull away, then lean in for a kiss. Yoongi feels his heart tug slightly, and he automatically glances at Jungkook. His gaze is drawn to the other direction; Yoongi doesn’t bother follow it to see what he’s looking at, too busy admiring him instead. His fingers are curled around his caramel cooler, painted nails contrasting against the pale colour of the drink. Yoongi had painted them for him, all back save for a small rainbow lining the side of the nails on his index fingers. Yoongi’s, in comparison, are all painted pastel rainbow colours. Yoongi had also managed to convince Jungkook to let him colour his hair a little, even though it was only with chalk, so they both have matching purple streaks in their hair. They probably look like a couple, he thinks.

“Hey, Jungkook?” he says, his mouth not giving his brain any time to think through what he's saying.

Jungkook hums, turns his head to look at Yoongi. Now that he’s looking into his eyes, Yoongi feels himself falling all over again, just a little, and realises what he was going to ask is the worst idea ever, and he definitely should not ask that.

Before his mouth can betray him (again), he quickly shakes his head and mumbles out a “never mind.”

Jungkook doesn’t let it go though, and starts poking his arm. “Hey, what?” Another poke. “You can’t just say ‘never mind,’ I’m curious now!”

Yoongi shakes his head again. “It was nothing, it doesn’t matter.”

“Then tell me if it doesn’t matter!” Jungkook pokes Yoongi’s arm again, then his stomach which has Yoongi jerking back.

“Hey!”

“Then tell me what you were gonna say!”

“I told you it doesn’t - ah! - matter!” Yoongi insists while trying to fend off Jungkook’s poking attacks.

“Come on, please?” Jungkook whines, widening his big doe eyes yet continuing to prod Yoongi with his free hand.

“No,” Yoongi pouts, grabbing Jungkook’s hand to stop him, but the younger easily manages to wriggle it free from his grasp again.

“I’ll only keep on annoying you~”

“You annoy me every day anyway, little . in’, tall .”

“Come on Yoongi, don’t be like that!” Now it’s Jungkook’s turn to pout. “Please? Please Yoonie bear?”

Heat rises to his face at the ridiculous nickname. Jungkook pokes his cheek.

“God, you’re stubborn,” Yoongi grumbles.

“Says you,” Jungkook retorts with another poke.

“Fine then!”

Jungkook finally stops and grins widely in triumph. “So?”

Yoongi huffs and looks at the floor. “It was stupid, okay? I was just… gonnaaskyoutokissme.”

“You were what?”

“I wanted to ask you if you’d kiss me, okay?” Yoongi repeats, louder this time. “Y’know, since we’re at pride and I’ve never been kissed before and I wanna know what it’d feel like and I like you and I trust you so even if we don’t date or anything I’d like my first kiss to be with you and--”

“Hey.” Jungkook places a hand under Yoongi’s chin and tilts his face up, Yoongi’s eyes widening as he’s forced to look at Jungkook. “You talk too damn much.”

And then he’s kissing him, and Yoongi’s brain malfunctions.

Jungkook pulls back seconds later, laughing and smacking Yoongi’s chest.

“Kiss me back, idiot!”

Yoongi gapes for a full moment, unable to form any coherent words or even thoughts.

“Just, do what I do, okay?” Jungkook says before connecting their lips once more.

Yoongi lets his eyes fall shut, clutches at the front of Jungkook’s shirt. He still has no idea what to do, barely even knows what’s going on, but he follows Jungkook’s lead. He lets Jungkook tug on his bottom lip with his teeth, lets his tongue slip into his mouth soon after, then accidentally lets out a tiny moan - because god, it feels so good - and tries to pull Jungkook closer, forgetting he still has a drink in his hand and ending up dropping it, the lid betraying him by slipping off and americano spilling everywhere, including all over both of their shoes.

“Sorry!” Yoongi half-squeak-half-gasps.

Jungkook shakes his head and chuckles fondly. “Idiot.”

He sets down his own drink on the ground and takes out some napkins that he’d shoved into his pocket from the cafe earlier to clean off his shoes as best he can.

“Thanks,” Yoongi manages out, taking a napkin from Jungkook and sitting on the kerb to wipe his shoes down. It’s a good thing they’re both wearing waterproof shoes. Jungkook takes a seat beside him, grin still ever-present on his face.

“So? What did you think?”

Yoongi huffs out a laugh. “0/10. Would not recommend. Waste of good coffee, and almost ruined my precious jeans.”

Jungkook giggles and bumps his shoulder into Yoongi. “Come on, really.”

Yoongi looks to the side. “This is awkward! What am I supposed to say to that? ‘It was wonderful, you have a great pair of lips’?”

Jungkook falls sideways with laughter, holding a hand onto the kerb to brace himself.

“No, just,” he wheezes, trying hard not to laugh again, “Just, was it a good first kiss?”

Yoongi feels a blush spread across his cheeks. “Yeah,” he mumbles.

“Wanna continue where we left off?”

“, yes,” Yoongi replies instantly, then, “Wait, I mean--”

But Jungkook’s already leaning over, one hand on the pavement between them, the other reaching out to cup Yoongi’s cheek. He doesn’t kiss him right away this time, waits a moment just in front of Yoongi’s lips, then kisses both corners of his mouth, before finally kissing him again, and god, Yoongi feels like he’s floating.

Just as Jungkook’s tongue pokes it’s way inside his mouth again, his hands travel down Yoongi’s sides and around his back, then attempting to tug him closer from their position there. Yoongi shifts a little, helping Jungkook’s hands in their mission, but then they slip under him onto his , and Jungkook uses the new leverage to pull Yoongi into his lap. Yoongi refuses to admit he squeaks a little as Jungkook does so, but his mind is too preoccupied with the feeling of jungkook jungkook jungkook anyway, Jungkook’s lips in particular, that he doesn’t have much time to dwell on the embarrassing noises he accidentally lets out.

Jungkook’s hands rest at his hips now, while he over the roof of Yoongi’s mouth, and Yoongi’s just completely melted in his arms.

It’s Yoongi who finally pulls away first, too overwhelmed by it all. He wraps his arms around Jungkook’s shoulders and falls into him, burying his head into the crook of Jungkook’s neck. Jungkook gently lowers himself back, so they’re lying down, Yoongi like a koala on top of Jungkook. The younger boy rubs one hand across Yoongi’s back and buries the other in his hair soothingly.

“You okay?”

Way more than okay,” Yoongi whispers back.

“Ah, we should get up,” Jungkook says after some people walk past them, giving them funny looks as they step by. And well, they are literally lying down on the pavement, in the way of everyone. Getting up is a good idea if they don't want to get accidentally trampled on.

Yoongi hums. “Carry me.”

“Oh, now you want to be carried, huh?”

“Shut up, no I don’t,” Yoongi counters, somehow snapping out of his kiss-induced daze just to argue with his best friend, “Condescending tall .”

“You literally just said you--”

“No, I didn’t. I have no idea what you’re talking about,” Yoongi says as he untangles himself from Jungkook and stands up, dusting off his jeans.

Jungkook shakes his head, muttering, “idiot,” under his breath. He extends a hand out towards Yoongi from his position still on the ground, asking for help up.

Yoongi pretends to think about it, then leaves him hanging instead.

“What, your stick limbs are too weak to help me up?” Jungkook laughs as he finally gets up by himself.

“Don’t make me fight you,” Yoongi glares.

“Bring it on, midget, I dare you.”

Yoongi keeps on glaring for a moment longer, before deciding he is gonna fight the tall and attempting to use what he’s learnt in judo to knock him to the ground. Granted, he’s not really putting much effort into doing it, but then Jungkook just scoops him up like he weighs nothing and throws him over his shoulder like he’s a goddamn sack of flour.

“Hey, not fair!” Yoongi whines, hitting Jungkook’s back with his fists. His poor little pride flag falls to the floor, dislodged from behind his ear from all the manhandling.

“You giant baby,” Jungkook sighs, “How are you older than me?”

Yoongi pouts, even though he knows Jungkook can’t see it, and that it doesn’t exactly help his case against Jungkook’s point.

“Okay, you can let me down now,” Yoongi mumbles after Jungkook still hasn’t put him down a minute or two later.

“Hmm,” Jungkook teases, “I don’t think I will.”

“Jeon Jungkoo-- ah!” Yoongi yelps as Jungkook slides him off his shoulder, only to readjust Yoongi in his arms so he’s holding him in front of him by the backs of his thighs, hands dangerously close to his . Yoongi’s legs involuntarily wrap around Jungkook’s waist for stability, but he simultaneously attempts to wriggle out of Jungkook’s hold.

“Stop ing squirming, you’re making this very difficult,” Jungkook laughs, “Hey, stop, look at me.”

Yoongi doesn’t know why, but he does.

“You’re adorable. Kiss me.”

Again, Yoongi doesn’t know why, but he does.

It’s only a short kiss this time, chaste, but it still feels so good. But maybe that also has to do with the fact that Jungkook’s holding him up with his fingers pressing into the supple flesh of his thighs. Then Jungkook finally lets him down, and Yoongi can’t find it in him to think of a witty remark to make, too breathless from the kiss, from Jungkook.

 

They’re aimlessly wandering around the area of the parade’s route again, empty drink cups discarded in the bin, Jungkook’s pride flag sticking out his pocket and Yoongi’s still behind his ear. Jungkook’s hand brushes against Yoongi’s and he itches to entwine their fingers, but he’s not sure if he’s allowed, not sure what the kisses were supposed to mean.

“Hey, um, Kook?”

“Hm?”

“Back there,” Yoongi starts uncertainly, “Was that just kissing, or… or do you, do you, like, want to…”

“What do you want it to be?”

“Hm? Me?” Yoongi pauses. “Um, I kind of, used to have a crush on you. I’m kind of, still in love with you. A little.”

“Then.” Jungkook stops walking, Yoongi turning to look at him in confusion. “Yoongi, Yoonie bear, baby.”

Yoongi groans. “Jungkook, what the -”

“Shush, let me finish!” Jungkook interrupts. His cheeks are red, Yoongi notices. Then he gets down on one knee.

“Jungkook, what the !” Yoongi exclaims, maybe a bit too loudly, drawing the attention of a few people.

“Min Yoongi, my precious dumpling, will you be my boyfriend?”

“ing-- you’re so dramatic, why are you like this, you don’t even have a ring! Get up, what are you even doing, I-- oh!” Jungkook cuts off Yoongi’s babbling by pulling him down to sit on his knee and kissing him again.

“Dramatic ,” Yoongi mumbles into his mouth. “Yes, I’ll be your boyfriend.”

Jungkook giggles and pecks Yoongi on the nose before they finally get up and resume walking, Yoongi now taking Jungkook’s hand in his.

“If you want to know,” Jungkook starts, “I kind of had a crush on you too. I mean, I was in a relationship so I never really let myself think about it much, but god, you’re the most ing adorable person I’ve ever met, and by far the prettiest.”

“Shut up.”

“Never! You’re my boyfriend now, I’m never gonna stop waxing poetry about your beauty and shouting it from the rooftops!”

“Oh god, please don’t.”

“Don’t what, stop? Yeah, that was my plan.”

Yoongi elbows him.