chapter 2

my rebel co-worker.

mina is not laying on her bed, in a dorm that was provided by the company. she just finished taking shower after a long day. her first day as a "newbie" here is not that bad. everyone is so kind and friendly. even though mina is new here, they still treat mina in a good way. they went to have lunch together and they didn't forget about mina. they told her to join them.

as mina closes her eyes, suddenly her phone rings. there's a incoming call, and it's from sana.

"hello minari?"

a high pitched voice can be heard by mina from the opposite side. 

"hello, sana."

"oh my god minari, you don't have idea how much i miss you."

"but we just met yesterday."

without seeing sana, mina knows sana is pouting right now.

"it's not the point. we won't be able to work together anymore from now on. i'm not used working without you, you know."

mina understands how sana feels. she actually feels the same too. they've been working together for almost 3 years, and now they have to work separately because of that .

"it's not like i'll work here forever, sana. i will comeback someday."

"i know. but we don't know when it will come."

mina sighs.

"maybe i should have had more control of myself. i should have slapped him in public."

mina can't help but feels bad. she is not that type that feels guilty easily, but remembering how close her friendship with sana, the latter must really miss her.

"hey, i'm not blaming you, okay? you did the right thing. if i have to blame someone, it has to be that bald frog."

bald frog, that's what sana and mina call her boss. they call their boss bald because he is just bald, and frog because he looks like a frog when he is angry, or even much worse than that.

"i promise, i won't be here too long. i'll do my best here, so that bald frog will let me go back to seoul."

"i will visit you soon, mina. anyways, how was your first day?"

"it's good. our office itself is not that bad. it's smaller than our headquarter building in seoul but it's still okay. and everyone is really kind and friendly here."

"glad to hear that. i'm afraid they will treat you badly since you are new there. just tell me if anyone do bad things to you. i'll kick their asses."

mina chuckles. 

"please, sana. you can't even fight a kid. remember when you came to me and you cried because a kid said you looked like a clown?"

"mina, please? didn't you promise to not talk about this again? it's so embarassing, stop teasing me!"

mina laughs. sana is older than her, but her mentality is not. sana is so whiny and bubbly. mina is jealous at her sometimes. she loves how sana never overthink things and how she is managed to always be happy.

"fine, fine. but it gets funnier and funnier everytime i think about it."

"you won't get a better co-worker. i'm the best one. you better treat me well or i'll unfriend you."

when sana talks about co-worker, there's one name that appears in mina's mind. mina doesn't know why she suddenly thinks about her.

son chaeyoung.

when mina was talking about "kind" and "friendly" co-workers, she definitely was not talking about that annoying elf.

"oh, sana. i told you that everyone is kind and friendly, but there's one. she is an exception."

"who? what did she do to you? did she bully you?"

"calm your , sana. her name is son chaeyoung, and she didn't bully me. you won't believe me but she flirted with me and called me beautiful. she even said i'm her type? we just met this morning, ugh."

mina can hear sana laughing so hard. she frowns.

"why are you laughing? i don't find it funny."

sana can't stop laughing and it starts pissing mina off.

"if you don't stop laughing i will hang up the call."

"alright, alright i will stop."

sana is trying to calm herself, and finally she is managed to talk properly to mina.

"maybe she is just like that, it's her personality. not everyone is stiff like you, mina. or maybe she likes you? oh, is it what we call love at the first sight?"

"love at the first sight my . and stop teasing me."

"why am i even talking about love to a myoui mina. but, seriously mina. maybe she is just crushing on you? and remembering her personality, i have this feeling she will help you to get out from your comfortable zone."

mina is not that type that believes in love. everyone has been saying the same thing about mina, and mina lowkey agrees about that. mina is a stiff person. in her 22 years of life, she has never dated anyone, even for once. actually, there are a lot of people (both boys and girls) that are crushing on mina. mina got an angelic and pretty face. she has a proportional body, and she is smart too. but her personality is the biggest problem here.

well, actually mina doesn't has a "bad" personality. she is just a bit ignorant. she doesn't give any s to things around her. and mina has never felt guilty. if she thinks it's right, she will do it. if she thinks it's wrong, then she won't do it. that simple.

back then, in high school and college, mina's locker is always full of love letters, flowers, and chocolate. mina didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. she can't help but threw everything away or sometimes gave away the chocolate because she couldn't keep and eat them all. she needes spaces in her locker to keep her things, so...

"minari, are you still there?"

sana's voice woke mina up from her deep thoughts.

"sorry, i was thinking about something. where were we?"

"you were talking about that girl that flirted with you on your first day."

oh, right. son chaeyoung.

"that's all. after that, she left the office for the whole day so i didn't meet her again after that. just pray for me she won't mess with me tomorrow because i just want to work peacefully."

"alright. but try to think about what i have said, mina. i know i have told you this a lot of times but you need to stop being so stiff. try something new? love someone, date, and get laid maybe. you only live once."

"and i've said this a lot of times too. i'm okay with my life i'm living."

"but, it's so bo- okay just forget what i have just said."

for everyone, mina's life looks so boring. she wakes up at the morning, go to work, go home, sleep, and repeat. no boyfriend or girlfriend. no dating. no drinks. flat, just flat.

"oh, minari. i have to go now. i still have works left to do, tomorrow is the deadline. call me if you need me. you know i'm always here for you, right?"

sana the best friend mina ever had. she may not as mature as mina, but she is always there when mina needs her.

"yeah, i know."

"call me often, okay? and rest well. good night!"

"good night too, sana."

with that, mina hangs up the call. mina takes a deep breath.

mina closes her eyes, and fell into a deep sleep.

-

mina is now facing the computer screen in front of her, typing whatever her manager told her to do through phone on her keyboard. mina hasn't met her manager in person, but everyone here said she is pretty strict when it comes to works, but she is so easygoing outside the office.

mina is busy minding her businesses until her eyes catches a bottle of banana milk on her table. she didn't remember buying one...

she raises her head, and the person she wishes not to see is standing in front of her, with a stupid grin on her face.

"what do you want this time?"

chaeyoung push the milk bottle closer to mina.

"i want to give you this."

"but i didn't ask for one."

"yes, you didn't. but can't i buy one for you? milk is good for health, especially if you drink it in the morning."

pairs of eyes in the room are on her and chaeyoung, and they are smiling. mina notices.

"can you leave me alone, please?"

"you still don't get the point? if i don't ask for one, it means i don't want one. and even though you give me one, i won't drink it because i didn't ask for it and i don't want to drink it. understand?"

"oh, maybe you don't like banana milk?"

mina rolls her eyes. the younger just ignored what she has said.

"listen-"

chaeyoung stretch her hand and takes something from her table. it's the same as the bottle on mina's table. it's just the different color of liquid.

"or maybe you prefer the strawberry one?"

"i don't-"

"uh, if you want to..."

chaeyoung looks at the banana milk on mina's table, and then look at the strawberry milk at her hand, and looks back again at the bottle on mina's table.

she hesitates for a while, but finally she puts the strawberry one on mina's table.

"the strawberry flavoured is mine. i bought it for myself, it's my favorite. i'll just drink the banana one."

chaeyoung takes the banana one from mina's table.

"you can drink it later, if you want to. but i really hope you do."

chaeyoung turns back, and sits on her chair.

"told you, she is not that bad. she never gave anything to us, you know? she even gave her favorite strawberry milk to you. wow, you must be special."

mina looks at the milk bottle in front of her.

"is she a bipolar? she was so bold yesterday morning, but she was so soft just now." mina mumbles.

she takes the bottle, and drinks the whole bottle.

-

it's surprising for mina that chaeyoung has been so quiet. the last time they talked each other was this morning (when chaeyoung offered mina banana milk). the younger did turn her back a few times, but she ended up talking with dahyun. mina does know that she actually wanted to talk to her.

"guys, let's have lunch first. i'm starving." momo breaks the silence.

mina look at her watch, and it's already 12 pm.

"i will eat later. i'm not hungry, and i still have a lot works to do."

momo nods. 

everyone in the room stands up but chaeyoung doesn't even move a bit.

"hey, chaeng. won't you join us?" tzuyu asks.

"uh, no. i'm not hungry."

"what? but usually you are the most excited one when it's lunch time."

"she said she is not hungry. come on, let's go. i'm so starving."

everyone leaves the room one by one. when dahyun walks pass through chaeyoung, she gives dahyun a smirk.

dahyun knows.

chaeyoung mouths "thank you", and dahyun finally leaves the room.

now, it's only mina and chaeyoung in the room. mina does feel weird about this. the situation is so awkward.

"why didn't you join them?"

"did you just talk to me?"

"is that even a question? it's only me and you here."

chaeyoung quickly moves her chair and sits facing mina. chaeyoung peeks mina through the computer.

even from this angle, and with mina's serious face, she is pretty, and chaeyoung is left in awe.

"let's have lunch together."

"excuse me?"

mina stops typing, and looks at chaeyoung. chaeyoung moves the computer a bit so she can see mina clearly.

"i said, let's have lunch together."

mina thought she heard it wrong.

"why?"

"because you are pretty?"

at this point, mina really thinks chaeyoung is a bipolar.

she flirted with her yesterday morning, and acted cute and soft earlier, and now she is being bold again.

"so, what's the answer?"

"no."

"come on. aren't you hungry?"

"i thought you said you weren't hungry too."

"well, that's an excuse. you know i did it on purpose."

great, chaeyoung starts to be annoying and now it's only two of them here.

"i don't-"

mina's words are cut off when chaeyoung suddenly grabs her hands and pulls her.

"SON CHAEYOUNG, LET ME GO!!"

-

mina is now sitting in a cafe.

with an unhappy face, of course.

"what's wrong with your face?"

"you pulled and forced me. how am i supposed to feel like? happy? excited?"

"you would never say yes, so.."

mina looks at outside the window. the road is pretty crowded since it's lunch time.

"uh, do you have something in mind that you want to eat or try? i'm confused."

mina looks back at chaeyoung. chaeyoung is biting her index finger, with her big and confused eyes scanning through the menu book.

and mina finds it cute.

"mina?"

"y-yes?"

"you were dazing out."

"just thinking about something. were you talking to me?"

mina cursed at herself. did she just find chaeyoung cute.....

"i was asking about what you want to eat, because i'm confused."

"uh, i'll order what you order."

"that's girlfriends behaviour, you know." chaeyoung smirks.

"shut up your little mouth."

chaeyoung finally orders and not long after that, the waiter comes and serves the food.

the food is so familiar to mina.

"is this udon?"

"well, it's what writtern on the menu book so i think it is."

"i didn't know they have udon here."

"it's a new menu, i think. i didn't know what to order so i ordered japanese food since i know you are from japan and you must have been missing japanese foods."

chaeyoung is right. mina has been living in korea for 5 years and it's been a long time since the last time she ate the "real" japanese food. 

and mina is surprised about how care and considerate chaeyoung is about her.

chaeyoung takes mina's spoon and chopsticks, and wipes them with tissues.

"you wipe your eating utensils?"

"yes, i'm used to doing it."

chaeyoung gives back mina's and then wipes hers.

mina is only looking at chaeyoung in silence.

"alright. let's eat!"

chaeyoung is having her meal, meanwhile mina is still looking at chaeyoung.

mina didn't know this annoying shortie is actually has this soft side.

besides her parents, no one ever cares about her like chaeyoung does.....