ii. The Best Friend

Maybe Tomorrow

   Chapter II: 

        The Best Friend "

 

“I. Need. Coffee.” Jaehyun groaned.

 

His face was planted on the table, his words muffled but oddly echoing out, making everyone down the table hear him out. Yein smiled, knowing that he was mostly trying to tell her in a quieter manner because the mention of coffee will cause an uprising of tired college students bombarding them with pleas for a coffee run.

 

Jaehyun is one of the few members of the study group, that all happened to be in the competition team, that owned a car and had it on campus. The coffee runs happened spontaneously one day when Yein was running out of energy from midterms week. They both needed an energy boost and he knew that Yein needed a mental break. There are times where she just gets too stressed out and her senses begin to be stimulated more than desired. She starts getting irritated and ends up getting up and leaving, only returning two days later.

 

He had suggested on going on a quick drive to distress, and a few members of the team had overhead them and asked if they can bring a coffee order back. And then the next person ordered one, and then the next and so on. Before he knew it, there were people asking him, around three in the afternoon every day if was thinking of going on a coffee run.

 

He didn’t mind going for the coffee, he just mind that it was his car and his gas that was being wasted, and for that, the team started a gas fund for coffee runs. Out of the pocket money that every member gets, it goes to buy gas so that Jaehyun can go get coffee for everyone.

 

Today, he had no intention on going on a run. He had a big project due soon, he was struggling to get over a big mistake he made because he was too much of an idiot to read the instructions carefully. He was frustrated that he needed to make up a lot of work because of how much he got back tracked.

 

“You wanna go get some?” Yein asked, her English words being used to confuse the team.

 

She could see how busy and frustrated he was. She knew that the last thing that he needed was to take orders, money and go through all the hassle of ordering them and fixing the ones who were wrong, and it was just so much for both of them.

 

“If you’re not feeling it, I can go with Yein for the coffees today,” the generous boy spoke, catching Jaehyun’s immediate attention.

 

He sat up, noting that Jungkook had just arrived from his class. They must have had an early release, that or Jungkook didn’t even go to class. Whatever it was, he knew that Yein would most likely say yes, and the thing he admitted to himself was that he didn’t like that idea. He knew that Yein would jump at any opportunity to hand with Jungkook, to go on a drive with him and bond for a few bit in the week.

 

Yein just looked at Jungkook, her eyes widen and before Jaehyun could even reject, she beat him to it.

 

“We are heading out but, we aren’t coming back any time soon to do the coffee run for everyone,” she spoke, a nervous smile lingering in her visage.

 

“Oh, where are you guys going?”

 

“We’re going to the park to work a bit. Then head over to eat dinner in the city,” she responded without hesitation.

 

“The park?” He responded in English.

 

He knew that Jungkook was not the best at English, making it become a comfortable second language where he can communicate with Yein and no one else could into their conversation. And frankly he was really confused as to why Yein even saying that. But she looked at him and smiled, then he remembered about their old tradition which they haven’t been able to exercise in months.  

 

“Well, that sounds like fun, I guess I’ll see you guys later?” Jungkook asked, his brow raised and the question lingering in his lips.

 

“Yeah, I’ll bring you the leftovers,” he responded before getting up and packing up his belongings.

 

When he first became friends with Yein, he had no comfortable place to study. The library always felt way too lonely, and so did his room and the dorm lounge were always way too noisy. He would sometimes make a small trip to the park nearby to sit down in an open area, get some fresh air and just study in peace where the only thing he could see was trees and the only thing he could hear was his music.

 

One day, they were both just too stressed from a bad exam in one of their classes, and they needed to study for their makeup exam that the professor was going to grant the entire class because, the scores were just that horrible. But for some reason, the library spot that they both had claimed as regulars wasn’t the same. Every little sound was irritating, hell even the breathing of the students around them was like nails on a chalkboard.

 

Jaehyun suggested that they go to the park and at that point Yein was willing to go anywhere but stay in the library. And so, they went and picked a spot and they were finally at peace to study comfortably and pass their makeup exam. Since that day, they had been coming to that park to study whenever they were struggling with a project or an exam. They went together because it just became a thing for them to do as a duo. And they haven’t gone in months because they can never find the time with practice being every day.

 

Today, however, since Jungkook had a big date with his girlfriend, practice was canceled by suggestion of majority of the team. Yugyeom had giving him an ultimatum in place of the team doing so. He told him that everyone in the team goes above and beyond to make time for practice, and no one is ever asking to cancel or move the times unless its for big personal reasons. And as the captain of the performance team, he needed to be an example, and this will be the last time practice will be changed to comply with him.

 

It was hard to watch. Mostly because Jaehyun was at the lunch table with him when it happened. He saw the toll that it took on Jungkook, the bright and happy captain looked disappointed in himself and it was a sight that can make anyone feel guilty for ever making that frown appear on the face of the department’s golden boy.

 

“You had me scared back there, I thought you were going to go with him on a coffee run?” He joked, pulling his car out of the parking lot.

 

“Why do you think that?”

 

“Oh! I don’t know, maybe because you like him,” he spoke, his voice becoming an artificial high pitch that made her laugh.

 

“I could never do that to you! Coffee runs are our thing,” she exclaimed, a feign gasp being release from her lips as they both laughed.

 

Jaehyun knew how much she liked Jungkook. And he had no problem with her wanting to go to his side of the table to study or go with him to dinner or go on a stroll when she just needs some air. He didn’t care, she was his best friend and he understood. But he also felt a sort of friend type of jealousy, much like Sujeong does whenever she sees them both. He treasured Yein too much as a friend and held all their little routines so close to his heart that he couldn’t imagine doing them with different people.

 

As much as coffee runs have become hectic and overwhelming, it’s their thing. And he didn’t like the idea of going on one without Yein or her going on one without him. This was their quality time, a time where they just goof off in the car, where they share the music that they discovered and rant to each other about their terrible classes and professors without giving a care to the world.

 

“You didn’t hear this from me, but I overheard from a little birdy that Jungkook and his girlfriend were fighting the other day,” he spoke, his words neutral and floating in the car.

 

“Was is Yugyeom?” She asked in a heartbeat.

 

“Maybe,” he spoke, as if asking a question.

 

Yein gaped slightly, feeling her heart race for a second. Rumors and stories surrounding Jungkook were common. He was the golden boy of the department, people always talked about him and sometimes, just because some people are bored out of their minds, they make up stories of embellish them to sound interesting and gossip. And for that, she had always taken everything she hears about him with a grain of salt, because she knew they could all be lies.

 

What makes this so different is the source. If Yugyeom, who happens to be Jungkook’s best friend, is the source then, the tale is nearly one hundred percent credible.

 

“I don’t know Jaehyun, even if they do break up, whose to say I have a shot,” she mumbled, looking at him with a doubtful mind.

 

“Dude, everyone in the table can see just how well you guys get along.”

 

“So, you and I get along and that doesn’t mean anything.”

 

“It does mean something!” She turned to face him only for him to change that hurtful face into a bright smile. “It means we are best friends,” he laughed.

 

“Yah! You know what I mean.”

 

“You’re telling me that if they do break up, you won’t shoot a shot?”

 

Silence. She remained quiet for what felt like hours. Jaehyun was pulling into his regular parking spot by the café they always go to. Not the one where they get the dozen of coffee order for the team, but the one where he always goes to when it’s only him and Yein.

 

“No, not right away,” she whispered, making him confused.

 

“Why?”

 

“I care about him too much as a friend to do that. If he breaks up with her, I want him to be single and enjoy himself. I want him to go out with his friends, to party and act like a teenager. I want him to let himself go for some time before he settles.” She looked at him, her voice thinning out and all he could do was smile.

 

“You’re a great friend,” he paused, “but may I remind you this is Jungkook. The guy who broke up with his two year, two months and thirteen days’ girlfriend. Only to be ‘single’ for a month before he started dating his current girl,” he spoke, his tone a bit more serious.

 

He was right about that. Jungkook found a pretty girl when they all started school, he dated her for that specific amount of time, told no one when they broke up only to start dating again in four weeks. Yein held back last time as well. When she found out he broke up with her, it had just been two weeks since the split.

 

“What’s with you Korean boys and so desperately wanting a girlfriend at all times?” She teased before getting out of the car and headed to the café.

 

“Hey, who are you to call someone out on their desperation?” he shouted, catching the attention of a few people strolling along.

 

“I just don’t get it! So many of you are like this, just take the team as an example.” She responded, not being shaken by his call out.

 

“You may have a point, but I bet we aren’t the only ones.”

 

“Oh no? Let’s ask Win then.” She smiled and strolled into the indie café with Jaehyun nervously trailing her.

 

He knew that she had a point. All the guys in the team had the same track records as Jungkook. They find a girlfriend, they break up and a few weeks later, there is a new girl in their lives. Even Jaehyun must admit that it gives him a headache because he always has to double check which girl the guys from the team are with before he can speak about them, otherwise, he gets caught in quicksand.

 

“Hey Win, can you hang for a bit?” She asked, her English making a comeback.

 

Win smiled, his bright round eyes and smile radiating out from the counter.

 

“Sure, I’ll go take my break,” he spoke, excitedly as he headed to the back in a hasty pace and came out with his black baseball cap on backwards.

 

Win was an international student from Thailand. He was a very bright and fun person to be around with. He is a temporary member of the team because his visa makes it hard for him to get as much pocket money from their gigs and shows as the rest of them. Hence, why he is a part time barista at this café. Regardless, he is a good friend that made them a powerful trio. If Sujeong ever heard Jaehyun admit this out lout, he would be in so much trouble.

 

“What’s up?” He asked, setting down three drinks at the table.

 

There was a perk of being friends with Win and coming to this café to hang out with him. He always made drink that were on the house. His boss never complained because Win attracted many spectators that were drawn into the café and became regulars, not for the coffee but, for the visuals of the innocent foreign barista.

 

“Don’t even tell him!” Jaehyun warned, his Korean language gone as Win simply laughed.

 

Win was still learning Korean, and although everyone says that Jaehyun and Yein should speak to him in Korean so that he could learn it faster, Win was always scared that he would forget English. Besides, being a barista was helping him out more and he quiet enjoyed exercising his English skills with these two.

 

“Do boys in Thailand do this?” Yein asked, drinking her coffee as she just finished explaining what happened.

 

“No, I guess that one point to the Thai boys,” he spoke, giggling as the bright eye smile only brightened the mood.

 

“I thought you were going to move on anyways?” Win asked in between sips of his coffee.

 

“I plan on it.”

 

“When did you decide this that you told Win and not me?” Jaehyun asked, a bit offended.

 

“Wow, you’re like an episode behind on this drama dude!” Win teased only for a second, because he knew that the said episode was rather disappointing for Yein.

 

“What happened?”

 

Yein drank some more coffee, collecting her thoughts before looking at Jaehyun and explained the crazy and messy plan she had executed. All thank to the bartender that was working his night shift that night at the club.

 

Yein had been frustrated. Jungkook’s behavior had been a little odd, cold is the better way to describe it. It was making her crazy because he no longer responded to her messages. He no longer even made an effort to sit with them at the library, he was always missing. And maybe it was her idiotic mind that made up the theory, but she felt like it was because he was trying to distance himself form her. Call it crazy, but ever since she brought him pork belly for lunch a few weeks ago, he has been acting coldly to her, as if he was mad at or something.

 

“Tough day?” The boy asked, his hair a mess of curls that hid his eyes.

 

“You could say that,” she mumbled.

 

She stared at the wall, her eyes glazing over the various bottles of alcohol that were in display. She noticed the board at the counter that had a list of some crazy drink combinations for the theme of the night. The club was doing a Halloween style theme ever weekend for October. It will end with a huge theme party at the end of the month and the competition team had all the intentions of attending. They were already shopping for costumes to wear.

 

“Who are you tryna forget?” He asked, pouring out two shots of soju in front of her.

 

“Wow, assuming I have boy drama is not the best way to hit on a girl,” she mumbled, taking the shot and drowning it in one go.

 

“Everyone has relationship drama, trust me. People spill all of their secrets to me.”

 

His smile was devilish, and his eyes were hidden under his sweaty mop of curls that just made him look that much more mischievous. She stepped back, finally getting a good look at him and even she had to admit, he had a nice built to his boy. He wore a simple black button up shirt, and a choker that had a bell hung on it.

 

“Are you supposed to be a cat?”

 

“You’re the first to catch on,” he laughed, shaking his head and leaning on the counter.

 

“Do you know me?” She asked out of default.

 

He talked so casually, so comfortably, like he knew her. As if they were friends. Well, talking was a bit of a lie. The loud music from the dance floor was consuming every other sound around them. They were practically yelling at each other, even if they were right in front of one another.

 

“No, but I’ve served you drinks before. You give off a different energy tonight,” he shouted, moving away to serve drinks to others around them.

 

She sat there, looking at him work as her tipsy mind tried to remember all the times they came to this place and she got drinks. She was always too caught in the moment to recall, to remember faces let alone, who served her drinks.

 

“What game are you playing?” She yelled, intrigued, confused and a bit afraid.

 

“No games, I just want to know who this guy is.” His body leaning over as he spoke into her ear, his hot breath rolling down her back.

 

“There you go again assuming it’s a boy. How ist,” she laughed, pushing him away.

 

“Is it not?”

 

He pushed his hair away, this time, she managed to see his big round eyes staring back at her. He smiled so devilishly that made her realize he was the type of guy to make girls cry. She has seen his type, a dangerous type that was not ready to settle down nor care about the effects of his actions. Someone who didn’t know when to stop or how to say ‘I’m sorry.’

 

“Let’s say for arguments sake, it is.” She looked over her shoulder, knowing exactly where Jungkook was in the dance floor. “What’s it to you?” She turned back.

 

He smiled, a wicked yet bright smile that radiated a different aura. He walked over to his coworker, said something to his ear before he came back and jumped over the counter. He huffed, grabbing the seat next to her and pulling the bottle of soju towards them.

 

“I’m just curious. Besides, I’ve always had an eye for you whenever you came to this club.”

 

She would be lying if she said that didn’t make her flustered. But she was still aware of her surroundings, still in touch with her sober and rational self. It was creepy. She was sure that bartenders do in fact get to know regulars and form relationships with people then and there. But she has never quite spoken to him, never even remembered him. And yet, he was always keeping an eye out for her, almost like a stalker. And for that, she decided she wasn’t going to continue drinking, at least for the time being.

 

“He’s one of my really good friends. It didn’t start out as anything more than that.”

 

“And you fell for him. I know the feeling, I’ve been there.” He poured out two shots. “So, how good is this guy that he’s stealing your thoughts?” He asked before drowning the alcohol.

 

She bit her lip, looking around and noticing that it was still too early to leave. She had a few hours before Sujeong stumbled over and asked if they can head back. She had time to entertain the bartender with how she fell for her department’s golden boy. And soon, she’ll execute her terrible plan of the night. The plan that drew the conclusion that she should move on.  


Okay, so this chapter wasn't too much, it's more of just a set up.

One thing that I want to do with this story is explore relationships in general.

That being with friends.

I want to make this story more centered on the characters and their growth and such.

Much more than the romance and drama.

Next chapter, we'll look into how Yein fell for Jungkook and jump back to this moment.

So, if you aren't interested in a character centered story, I apologize as this will not be the story for you.

Regardless, thanks for reading, and have a good one!