iii. The Dance

Maybe Tomorrow

"  Chapter III: 

        The Dance"

 

“He’s one of my really good friends. It didn’t start out as anything more than that.”

 

“And you fell for him. I know the feeling, I’ve been there.” He poured out two shots. “So, how good is this guy that he’s stealing your thoughts?” He asked before drowning the alcohol.

 

He’s so ing perfect, she told herself as she looked at the shot glass and hesitated for a few seconds before taking it. She looked at him, letting her mind wonder and her heart ache as she recalled when she met him for the second time, the one that finally introduced him into her life.

 

She had passed the audition for the competition team, surprisingly and she will never admit that she half assed her audition. She didn’t want to be in the team, she only auditioned because she felt compelled to do it for Jaehyun. But regardless, she was chosen, and so the three of them were headed towards the first meeting. The team always started the season over the break in between semesters, it gives them time to get organized and prepare for the season to come.

 

She sat at the practice room, the wide room wore a gray floor and the white walls were dressed in tall and wide mirrors. She sat in between Jaehyun and Sujeong, making small talk with some of the new recruits and longtime members who were eager to get to know the fresh talent that they lead in.

 

“Welcome, before we start, I just want to announce that this season, Jungkook is back and will resume his position as the captain of the elite team. He will be a few minutes late, but when he comes in, the members will be announced.” Yugyeom stood tall and confident.

 

“Nope! I made it on time, you lost the bet!” He ran in, his feet hitting the floor so heavily that the sound echoed in the room.

 

His black hair was in separated strands full of sweat, they were curtain for his eyes. He had on a simple black hoodie with some red writing and a pair of tight black sweats. He stopped after a few more steps to catch his breath before the entire room begun to cheer and clap for him.

 

“! I should have known!” Yugyeom exclaimed, walking over to greet his best friend.

 

“Hello everyone, my name is Jeon Jungkook. I will be the captain of the elite team.”

 

His smile was bright, his face was flustered and pink, but his smile was pure sunshine. He huffed, sweeping his hair out of his forehead with a head shake. He carried the room, he snagged all the attention that Yein forgot for a second, that he had been missing for a whole year. He had disappeared and the most popular rumor going around in the school was that he dropped out to go to the states.

 

“The elite team is the all-around team. Vocalist, dancers and rappers get chosen to be in this team, and this year, we have a fresh line-up with some new faces.” Yugyeom began to explain, patting Jungkook in the back.

 

Jungkook released such a bright laugh, it was like music that can fill anyone up with felicity and make them forget about all of the negatives in the world. It was mesmerizing.

 

“I want to have a different image for the team this year. So, now that I’m here, on time,” he paused before giving a quick teasing stare at Yugyeom, “let me announce the lineup.”

 

One by one, the team begun to assemble. From years past, the team was always between seven to nine people. The lowest it has ever been was five, but it was simply because there was a lot of difficulty with overlapping events and competitions.

 

And as if the world was setting up a brand-new game of chess, it decided to move Yein’s pawn right into Jungkook’s territory.

 

“Jung Yein, the sweet voiced modern dancer,” he spoke, catching her eyes when her head retreated in shock.

 

He smiled, his face cocking to this side as his eyes shifted, as if there was a bright realization within him. He pointed his finger at her as Jaehyun pushed her to get up and line-up.

 

“Yein, I remember you, nice to meet you again,” he spoke, reaching out his hand as she approached him.

 

She smiled, feeling as if that same energy and smile that he wore was worn by him two years ago when she first met him. It was interesting that he remembered her, it wasn’t like she had a big problem when she went to tutoring with him. There was nothing about her questions that could have made her stood out for him to remember her now.

 

But he did, and the warmth of his skin, the warmth of his smile and the brightness in his eyes just reeled her in further and further. She thought that since this was still going to be a, somewhat, professional relationship, she wouldn’t get the chance to get to know him on a more personal level. She admired his charisma, his energy, everything that made him feel like moon. And for a while, she had convinced herself that it wasn’t going to grow into much more than that.

 

“Okay, now I have to met this guy,” the bartender spoke.

 

He smiled, scoffing a bit before leaning over and placing his elbow on the counter only to fit his head on his palm. He stared at her, a wicked and dangerous smile dancing on his face. And that’s when her terrible idea of the night begun to burn. At first, it was a match but then became a forest fire.

 

“You can meet him, he’s here tonight.”

 

“Why do I feel like you’re using me?”

 

“You’re smarter than you look.” She raised her brows, trying to match that flirtatious smile.

 

“Geez, what the did he do to you?”

 

Yein shook her head, a sad grin on her face as she looked at the bottles of alcohol and remembered the night, she knew she fell for him. It was a night away from here, a plane’s ride away from her home. She wanted to forget that night, she should have just staid at the hotel. But no, they were celebrating Sujeong’s birthday and she couldn’t just stay in.

 

Staying in the elite team was a decision she made a few weeks into practice. Hell, staying in the competition team in general was a decision she had made a few weeks into the entire ordeal. She is proud to say that Jaehyun didn’t have any influence, and neither did Sujeong. And to the shock of many, Jungkook had no influence either.

 

Yein made the decision based on the atmosphere. She felt welcomed, she felt at peace and like she was finally in an environment that wasn’t foreign to her. She felt like she finally had a place in the school and therefore, she made the decision to stay.

 

Jungkook had decided that the team needed a tune up with their choreography and wanted to incorporate more modern dance elements. And like she had predicted; they knew of her extensive dance background. Jungkook had asked her to work on the choreography with him, to which she agreed to.

 

He was admirable. His work ethic was truly inspiring and encouraging. Jungkook had felt like an idol she can look up to and follow. He had become like a mentor almost, guiding her in how to prefect her voice and her technique. Their interactions never left the practice room, and it wasn’t until their collaboration in the choreography did things begun to change.

 

“Let’s go to Hongdae,” he suggested.

 

She laughed, “are you serious?”

 

“Yeah, why not? There are a lot of performers today, art exhibitions and so many things to get inspiration from,” he spoke, his voice so bright it could keep the room lit for days.

 

She hesitated but agreed.

 

“Do you always go to Hongdae for inspiration?” She asked, trying to make conversation as they never spoke outside of practice.

 

“Not always, I go to many different places. But all of the street performers and artists come out tonight.”

 

“Have you ever choreographed a modern dance?”

 

“No, why? Am I picking a bad place to go to?” His words were quick to panic as she laughed softly.

 

“Not necessarily, it just isn’t the place I would pick. Modern dance to me has always been the beauty and flow of nature. I can go to the park and just feel the wind, smell the grass and hear the rustling of leaves, and that’s where I get my ideas. But you can do the same in Hongdae,” she admitted as he grinned softly.

 

“I could tell.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“We saw your performances from high school. You were one of the top dance students. Your choreography from your last performance made me think of how I feel when I’m at Han River.”

 

“Han River is where I choreographed it,” she spoke, taken aback at how spot on he was.

 

His eyes widen, his jaw dropping into an amusing smile as the two just laughed. Their first connection, their first bonding moment that opened each other up more and more. They talked a lot about their inspirations, about their journey and Yein, without even realizing, ended up talking about her injury. Something Jungkook was sympathetic about but didn’t bombard her with questions and concerns about it.

 

“Do you still do ballet?” He asked, away at his ice cream.

 

“Yeah, but not to the extend that I used to.”

 

She was leading them both through the crowd. She could hear a beautiful violin close by, and that is what she needed to hear. The melody was a spring melody, one that reminded her of the chilly and pollen filled winds that rolled in spring. Something she is waiting to see in a few weeks.

 

“We never saw a video of you dancing ballet. For all I know, you could be making this all up,” he teased, poking her side as she jumped.

 

“Yah!” She laughed, threatening to knock his ice cream cone off his hands. “Why would I lie?”

 

“Prove it.” He challenged.

 

She shook her head, feeling at peace with herself and in a very calm state. She hasn’t danced ballet in a while, it was something she was always passionate about as well. She had memorized the moves that would push her too far. And so, when the violinist was right in front of them, she handed over her ice cream to him and pushed herself towards the front.

 

That was the first time out of two, where she danced along to a street performer.

 

The second time happened in the states, at what was supposed to be Sujeong’s birthday celebration night. What was different the second time was that she didn’t dance alone, he was dancing with her.

 

They had gone off to a bar to celebrate. And they had to leave earlier than the rest of the team because Sujeong forgot that long island ice teas had alcohol in them. And four glasses in, the very lightweight Sujeong had to go back to the hotel. As her friends, Yein, Jaehyun and Win left to take her back. Jungkook was still heavily jetlagged and decided to go with them to turn in early for the night.

 

And that’s where it all began.

 

He was tired, he was a bit too drowsy from the lack of sleep and the very minimal alcohol he had consumed that he nearly crossed the street in the wrong signal.

 

“Jungkook!” Yein pulled him away.

 

“Sorry! I’m just so tired,” he mumbled, shaking his head awake.

 

“Grab onto me, I don’t need you to get hit by a car tonight,” she spoke, concerned and amused at the same time.

 

He didn’t even hesitate, he put his arm around her, and they began walking. Jungkook was grunting a bit, his hands rubbing his eyes a bit harsh as he would shake his head, as if trying to wake himself up.

 

“You worry too much.”

 

“I worry just the perfect amount!”

 

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to offend you. I think it’s nice that you care so much.”

 

“It’s not nice, it’s called being a good friend.” She spoke, a satisfying smile on her lips as Jaehyun turned around and winked at her.

 

“We’re friends, right?”

 

“Of course!” She laughed, not knowing why he would as such a thing.

 

“It’s nice to have a friend that cares so much.”

 

She had no idea why he was saying that. It was as if no friend every cared for him. But she knew that they did. He was probably saying that as a compliment to her and her friends that were in front of them, rather than it being a reflection on the friends he has.

 

“I can’t believe your jetlag is this bad.”

 

“It’s not the jetlag, I staid up working on the new routine!” He exclaimed, pulling his arm off her shoulder and walking normally.

 

“How’s that going? Got the hang of modern yet?” She asked, raising her voice as the music from down the block was getting louder and louder.

 

“As if! I need your help,” he spoke, sounding a bit like a whine.

 

“Nope, I helped you once and you made me dance ballet. And I fell in front of all those people, remember that?” She teased sarcastically as she picked up the pace.

 

It was true. The morning rain still left puddles on the ground, and her sneakers, that happened to have a rubber sole, caused her to slip and fall. No one laughed, no one made fun of her, but still, it terrified her. She didn’t have the guts to tell Jungkook that she was left terrified as the fear of her injury came flashing back so quickly.

 

“If I perform, will you help me?” He urged, catching up to her.

 

The music got louder as they continued walking, and it only made her smile and raise her brows, ready to put him to the challenge. She nodded and soon, they dashed passed Jaehyun, Win and a drunk Sujeong to put Jungkook in front of everyone.

 

That night shouldn’t have happened. She never should have , nor challenge him. She should have just kept shut. He had danced in a way so differently than before. He had been practicing, he had improved so much and what’s worse is that as he danced in front of a crowd that happily cheered him on, he went over and pulled her in.

 

It was complete improvisation, but one that made her heart stir as the emotion on his face and the fluid movements of his body made her feel something. It was like a spark, a fire wanting to burn against a harsh gust of wind. She saw his eyes and felt as if his heart was being poured out in front of her, and when they held hands, when he pulled her in to lift her up or to just embrace her as part of the dance, she fell hard.

 

The performance ended, Yein bowed and felt Jungkook’s hand in hers as he bowed with her. And she knew she could not see him the same because her heart was racing too fast and her stomach was turning from nerves. And suddenly, she wanted Jungkook in a different way.

 

But like always, things are never perfect.

 

On the last night of the trip, they found themselves in a bar again. They had gone there for a night of bowling, drinking and bonding. The competition ended well, the elite team didn’t win but placed third, the highest out of every non-local team that was competing that night. They felt it as an achievement, and the team captains wanted the team to feel satisfied with their placing.

 

“Can we join your lane?” Jungkook asked.

 

Yein smiled, feeling her heart rush a bit as some of the older members of the team filled in the remaining slots for her lane. Jaehyun loved bowling, he was the one that taught Yein how to bowl when they first met. She was decent at it, but tonight, she wanted to be great, especially in front of the department’s golden boy.

 

As Jaehyun and her reset the game and added every player, Jungkook called to her and that’s where the first punch of reality had swung at her.

 

“Yein-ah, why do girl’s ask this?” He pushed his phone in her direction.

 

She saw the screen and notice that he was on a dating app. He was talking to this girl who was being hot and cold, flirtatious, sarcastic and yet, reserved.

 

“I thought you had a girlfriend?” Jaehyun asked, hovering over her shoulder as he noted the screen.

 

“I did, we broke up a few weeks ago,” he mumbled.

 

“How long were you dating?” She asked, pulling her sweetest voice out of herself.

 

“Two years, two months and thirteen days.” His voice was humorous and light.

 

His friends laughed, not in a malicious manner. Not so much to nor be sarcastic, by they patted him on the back as if they were laughing to say, it’s alright. But it made Yein feel nervous, and her fingertips turned a bit cold. She smiled, handed back the phone and responded.

 

“She’s testing you. She wants to see if she can reveal your true intension. Yugyeom, you’re first after Win,” she spoke, turning around and took her turn.

 

She didn’t know how to feel. All night, she couldn’t stop thinking about how she felt dancing with him. The way her hear raced and the spark she felt when they just connected and conversed in the dance. It was something she had never had with anyone, and it didn’t take so long before drunk Sujeong told her that she liked Jungkook.

 

For weeks, all he was to her was a mentor, someone to follow and admire from a far. For the last few weeks, he had felt like a close friend. They connected with dance, they conversed about their aspirations, their goals and their journey. It felt like he had been there with her for her career so far, he understood a bit more than Jaehyun, if that was even possible. And now, he felt differently, at least she wanted him to.

 

Two weeks after breaking up with his two-year girlfriend and he was already in the market. And she wasn’t sure she was willing to take a shot, not while he is still healing. Yein took a deep break, letting her feelings consume her whole as she tried to forget that these emotions even existed.  

 

“No one should ever be the rebound, I would have waited as well,” the bartender spoke, taking another shot of soju as he winced and looked at her.

 

“Do you still want to meet him?” She asked, the idea boiling in her head and catching more fire with every drop of alcohol she consumed.

 

“Are you going to tell me the plan? What did he do? What’s your name? I need a bit more,” he laughed, his dangerous smile appearing but his big round eyes were sharp.

 

“I’m Yein and all you gotta do is dance with me. Then, I will tell you,” she teased, taking a shot and getting up abruptly.

 

“I’m Sungwoo,” he spoke into her ear, catching up to her and pushing her body by her waist.

 

It was a terrible idea. It wasn’t even an idea. It was an experiment. Jungkook had been so different the past few days and she wondered if he had caught on. Could he had found out that she liked him? Could that be why he was acting weirdly cold and distant? Did he even care for her in that way?

 

Of course he doesn’t, she told herself as she needed to wake up from this dream. Jungkook was taken, and she needed to show him that she moved on, even if it is a lie.