Chapter IV

Crow

 


 

CORVOSI COMPOUND PRIVATE HANGAR

02:06

 

 At two in the morning, Yuqi and Lucas had already boarded the Corvossi’s private plane. Mociz is a naval town at the southern borders three hours from Alleris. The only travelling system needed to reach Mociz is through a specially designed plane that can withstand the country’s magnetic atmosphere.

 

Thud

 

“Captain speaking: We are experiencing a slight turbulence, there is no need to worry”

 

“The magnetic force is imbalanced” Lucas began as he scans his watch. “And we are still less than an hour away to Mociz”

 

“This is why Mociz is a peaceful country” Yuqi responded “it cannot be breached by any ‘normal’ mode of transportation”

 

Lucas shifted his gaze to the brunette in front of him “Do you use this plane often when travelling to Mociz? Why is it not under Alleris’ base?”

 

“Each plane we use is different” Yuqi answered “Although it is resilient, damages in the system still occurs. Since the magnetic force is unpredictable, maintenance is a must” she continued “These types of planes, machineries, and weapons not available in the market are under the jurisdiction of my family. In the military registry, they are classified as Z-Class

 

Lucas is very much aware of the so-called Z-Class as soon as he enlisted under Alleris’ military force. Geoss did not have these weapons in their inventory since Alleris, their main provider of weaponries, filter them before shipping to other countries including Geoss. However, it is inevitable that special cases would require special weaponries. Once these ‘Z-Class’ weapons are given out, they are immediately available to market thus, these then- ‘special weapons’ are now labelled simply as ‘weapons’. And the person right in front of him is part of those that create these weaponries.

 

Lucas leaned back “What happened to those robots?”

 

Knowing what Lucas meant, Yuqi answered briefly “It’s none of the military’s concern but” she paused “ if you’re asking personally then all you have to know is that there is nothing to worry about”.

 

“I get you’re not a fan of disclosure” the blonde remarked.

 

“Aren’t you trained to, Lieutenant?” Yuqi countered.

 

“I’m just trying to get to know the person I’ll be spending three days with” Lucas smirked however, Yuqi shrugged it.

 

"Your eye” Yuqi changed the topic “they sent you on a mission as soon as it healed?”

 

Angela won’t let me off the hook that easily” Lucas gave a contemplated smile “she’s been trying to get me out of her sight since I got reassigned in Alleris”

 

“Lieutenant Wong seems to have a valid reason why”

 

The small grin on Yuqi’s lips did not escape Lucas’ gaze.

 

 


 

 

Finally arriving at Mociz relieved Lucas’ state of well-being. The amount of turbulence and constant power failure made three hours feel even longer. As soon as they landed, a soldier was already waiting for them.

 

This must be the , Lucas thought.

 

He was right. The said soldier accompanied the two to their designated hotel and drove to the venue where the seminar will be held. Both had dressed semi casually, Lucas on a black dress-shirt and gray pants while Yuqi is wearing a white sheath dress with her hair up.

 

Once they got on the car, Lucas notices Yuqi’s droopy eyes. “Will you be okay? You haven’t slept since the plane” Lucas asked, remembering that the three-hour wreck earlier Yuqi had been busy reading the data for the seminar.

 

Yuqi sat calmly beside Lucas at the backseat of the car. Noticing the driver’s eyes on them at the rear view mirror, Yuqi gave Lucas a brief smile and replied “I’m fine”

 

Lucas lay still for a moment however, he remembered his purpose. Before leaving the hotel, they made several arrangements including them addressing each other with their first names as well as having to act as naturally as possible. Lucas took this opportunity to poke fun at the younger person beside him.

 

“Hey Yuqi, look at me”

 

Yuqi, on the other hand, was taken aback by the sudden mention of her name. She slowly shifted her gaze towards Lucas.

 

Noticing the confused look on Yuqi’s face, Lucas gave her a wink.

 

It was so random and so out of place that Yuqi hung her head low and quietly whispered ‘oh my God’, regretting her action and experiencing second hand embarrassment instead.

 

Clearly, Lucas was enjoying himself. And Yuqi can finally understand why his sister wants him out of her sight.

 

 


 

 

“Welcome” The receptionist smiled “may I ask for you identifications first, please?”

 

Yuqi and Lucas provided their identifications through a watch scanner given by the receptionist. Both had just arrived at the venue: Mociz Gallery of Science and Technology. It was a three-storey glass building with a circumferential plan that replicates the Mociz’s Coat of Arms when looking from the top.

 

“Miss Yuqi Song is on the guest list for the MAA- Summit however” The receptionist gave Lucas a doubtful look “Mr. Lucas Hwang is not listed on any events.”

 

Lucas had to change his name and identification in order to not cause any suspicions. Yuqi had told Lucas beforehand that there is a possibility of Mociz tracing him and eventually knowing that he is from the military. They cannot risk that.

 

“Yes, we are aware.” Yuqi began “I am supposed to be accompanied by my uncle, Mr Song but due to health problems he is unable to come. Mr. Hwang here was a last-minute proxy” she reasoned.

 

The Mr. Song Yuqi was referring to was General Prete who was unavailable.

 

“We can confirm that you are indeed supposed to be accompanied by Mr. Song but with civilian proxies, there are processes to be made—“

 

“Miss Song?” a voice had cut off the receptionist sentence. Once the receptionist realized who it was, she immediately bowed her head.

 

“Mister Vanders” Yuqi beamed as she shook the gentleman’s hand “it’s so great to see you again”

 

“You grow so beautifully each time we meet” Mister Vanders commented “if only I was fourty years younger”

 

“You’re still as funny as I remember you, Mister Vanders”

 

“I know I’m old but you keep forgetting to just call me uncle” he grinned as he patted Yuqi’s head “I’m sure your grandpa would complain if he could hear me”

 

“You look much younger than sixty, uncle”

 

“Have you checked in, dear?” Mister Vanders asked “The summit will start in thirty minutes”

 

“We ran into a bit of trouble” Yuqi said as she shifted her gaze toward Lucas “he’s supposed to be uncle’s proxy but he couldn’t get in because he has no validation.”

 

“Oh dear, I didn’t mean to pry who is this handsome young man?” Mister Vanders tilted his head.

 

Yuqi carefully wrapped her hands around Lucas’ arm and leaned gently “I want you to meet Lucas, my fiancé”

 

Lucas bowed and held Yuqi’s hands snugly around his arm.

 

Mister Vander’s eyes widened “Goodness, dear! I haven’t heard of the news you are engaged”

 

“Please keep it a secret for the mean time, uncle” Yuqi pleaded while both still locking arms “we haven’t announced it yet”

 

“Boy” Mister Vanders tuned to Lucas “to have the heart of the young miss, you must be really charming indeed”

 

Lucas smiled awkwardly and replied “I consider it as an honour, sir”

 

“While you’re in Mociz, I’ll be watching you in her grandfather’s stead” Mister Vanders jokingly warned “I trust you will take good care of her”

 

“Rest assured, Mister Vanders” Lucas said without hesitation. I won’t fail this mission.

 

“And you” Mister Vanders turned to the receptionist “This young miss is from the Corvossi family which are very close to me. I want you to treat her and her companion the same way you do to me, understood?” his voice was sharp and clear.

 

“Yes sir” The receptionist responded. “I apologize for my ignorance” she bowed to Yuqi and Lucas.

 

“It’s alright.” Yuqi smiled “Being meticulous in your job is good work ethic”

 

“Next time you run into trouble, don’t hesitate to call me” Mister Vanders informed the couple. “Now come”

 

Still locking arms, Lucas turned to Yuqi “To be acquainted personally with the Prime Minister of Mociz…”

 

Without shifting her gaze, Yuqi replied “He and grandpa go way back. Be acquainted with him and you can have free pass to every corner of Mociz”

 

 


 

 

The summit was composed of thirteen countries within the four allied kingdoms of Alleris. It was during this time that Yuqi had to present the current weaponries tested to be available to the market. Having expertise as a weapon-tester herself, it was easy for her to discuss the pros and cons for their new weapons. Of course, the topic of the recent robot mishap from Alleris Institute surfaced. However Yuqi discussed and disclosed that the robots’ motherboards can be accessed due to Alleris’ and Corvossi’s legal agreement in terms of production and manufacturing.

 

“I want to emphasize that our lab only programs and creates prototypes but Alleris has the power to manufacture and produce the weapons.” Yuqi’s voice was clear.

 

Being born and bred in a military country, Lucas always thought that seminars and collective meetings are too political and boring. But being a weapon enthusiast, he admits he actually enjoyed his time in there. He was also impressed by Yuqi’s confidence despite the lack of sleep and constant questionings from the crowd.

 

But one thing Lucas noticed is that these people around him, all these countries, they have great trust in Alleris.

 

 


 

 

“Great job today” Lucas said as soon as he and Yuqi arrived at their hotel room. It was a master suite with a living room and one bedroom. Lucas suggested it’s better if there’s only one bedroom so it wouldn’t be suspicious as they’re supposed to be ‘engaged’ and offered to sleep in the living room instead. It would also be convenient for him to guard Yuqi while protecting her privacy.

 

“It’s only half a day. There’s still that gala tonight, brunch meeting tomorrow, and weapon testing… I’m already tired” Yuqi strode towards the couch and laid herself in.

 

“Wow” Lucas raised a brow and sat on the chair.

 

“What?” Yuqi gave a glance at the tall creature sitting across her.

 

“First time I’m seeing you act your age” Lucas smirked but Yuqi chose to ignore his smugness. “Why don’t you go to your room and I’ll wake you up in a few hours?”

 

There was no room for argument. Yuqi lazily dragged herself and plopped onto the soft bed.

 

Lucas couldn’t help but smile. Ever since he met Yuqi, she’d been a very serious type. He could compare her to someone who is forced to mature judging by the workload she has as well as society’s pressure on her family. So seeing Yuqi act childishly is new to Lucas but gives him relief that a girl can take a break.

 

Lucas quietly closes Yuqi’s door and went to the bathroom to take a quick shower.

 

It’s going to be a long day.

 

 


A/N:

It took me a while to update and I can't promise I can update on regular basis. I've been really busy with college so I can only do so much with limited time.

Thank you very much for the patience