Nice to meet you, Ahn Yujin

Hate That I Love You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

The ticking of the clock was going to drive her insane.

 

Wonyoung has finished doing all the schoolwork she could think of accomplishing to kill time and yet, there was still an hour left before her freedom.

 

Playing her favorite game to curb her boredom was always the solution but it was impossible at the moment because apparently, she was the only one who received detention that day.

 

She couldn’t help but roll her eyes as she recalled the events during first period, the person who bothered her in class earlier will surely pay once she finds out who it was.

 

Many ways of torturing whoever that person was running through her mind until her attention was diverted when a notification popped up on her smart watch. She shifted her gaze to check what it was and a groan escaped her lips as soon as she saw the reminder flashing across the screen.

 

It was five minutes to six – she was supposed to be home at this time to get ready for her skincare routine if it wasn’t for detention.

 

The thought of missing one session of her routine made her shudder because the idea of getting a blackhead or a pimple on her silky smooth face was too alarming for her.

 

“Keep it down, Miss Jang. You’re going to earn a week’s worth of detention at this rate.”

 

Professor Hyunwoo called out to her without even sparing her a glance, a smirk forming on his lips.

 

Wonyoung wanted to snap back at him but opted to just ignore his stupid comment and keep herself amused with her beautiful face instead – losing time over admiring herself wasn’t worth all the negativity she had today. She took out a small mirror from her pocket and began talking to herself.

 

“Hey beautiful.” Wonyoung whispered to her reflection, a gummy smile immediately spreading across her face.

 

“You’re looking good as always.” She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. “I completely understand why people are so jealous of you. I mean look at you, your mere existence is to die for!”

 

Wonyoung excitedly said the last sentence a little bit too loud that she heard the professor clear his throat; she understood that she should keep her voice down.

 

She let a few minutes pass before continuing to make sure that the professor had his attention already elsewhere.

 

“Where was I? Oh right.”

 

Wonyoung ran a hand across her hair in a model like manner before she continued. “You’re pretty, smart, and rich. There isn’t any bad thing to point out on you.”

 

She paused, briefly considering what she just said.

 

“Well, I mean you can be a little bit y sometimes… But you’re a nice .”

 

A giggle escaped her lips, it seemed like her self-esteem just reached a new peak with all the self-praise she was doing and it made her feel so much more confident.

 

Wonyoung was so caught up with keeping herself busy that she nearly jumped out in surprise from her seat when the professor suddenly spoke.

 

“Miss Jang, who are you talking to?”

 

“N-no one, sir!” Wonyoung silently cursed as she thought hard for a better excuse that won’t make her seem that she was talking to her reflection – since it is kind of embarrassing to admit that.

 

“Uh… I’m singing! Yes, I am singing!”

 

“Then what are you holding?”

 

The smirk on the man’s face looked more annoying than ever, he was obviously delighted that he might actually have another reason to punish Wonyoung with more hours in detention.

 

But Wonyoung, on the other hand, confidently answered him because she knew how that she had the upper hand in the situation since she wasn’t really doing anything wrong.

 

“It’s a mirror.”

 

“Really now? You do know that the use of a phone during detention has a lot of consequences.”

 

He stood up from his seat and started making his way to her to confirm if his suspicions were correct.

 

Wonyoung proudly extended her arm as soon as he reached her and presented the small object; she wanted to rub it in his face that she was telling the truth.

 

Contrast to the frown beginning to form on the professor’s face, it was Wonyoung’s turn to have a smirk slowly spread across hers since she proved her innocence.

 

“Told you it’s a mirror.”

 

“I see.”

 

He handed back the object to her, avoiding her eyes. He was probably too proud to admit that he was wrong.

 

Watching him silently fume might be Wonyoung’s favorite sight up to date. She was enjoying every bit of his embarrassment until the man unexpectedly dismissed her, cutting the show short.

 

“You know what? Just go home, Miss Jang.”

 

 

 

 

Wonyoung’s mood has been high since she left school up until she boarded the bus, still amused with the fact that Professor Hyunwoo actually sent her home before the detention time was up rather than just apologizing for accusing her of something she didn’t do.

 

Getting on his nerves and proving him wrong was probably one of the things she could add to the list of things that she found enjoyable.

 

And speaking of enjoyable, she couldn’t wait to tell her best friend about how she managed to get out of detention. Minjoo would probably laugh her out when she hears about it.

 

She rummaged through her pocket for her phone and quickly dialed Minjoo’s number the moment she got her hands on it.

 

It was taking sometime for the older girl to pick up causing a pout to form on Wonyoung’s lips. Minjoo usually answered after the first few rings but clearly it wasn’t the case right now. She thought the call was already gonna drop after what felt like the tenth ring but luckily it got picked up at the last second.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Hey Minguri! Do you wanna hang out? I’m just a few blocks away from your place right now. I’ve got a really funny story to tell.”

 

“Oh really? What story?”

 

Wonyoung furrowed her brows, she didn’t know if her connection was bad or the voice on the other line didn’t sound like Minjoo at all. It sounded a little bit deeper than Minjoo’s but it was still surely feminine.

 

She briefly checked that contact ID on her phone’s screen to see if she called the right number and it indeed belong to Minjoo. Thinking that maybe the poor signal was just messing with the sound quality, she shrugged it off and continued the call.

 

“Well it’s about what happened in detention! Tell me if you’re free and I’ll –”

 

Wonyoung trailed off when she heard another voice calling out in the background; it was too familiar for her to miss it.

 

One thing’s for sure, the connection wasn’t bad after all because that other voice she just heard definitely belonged to Minjoo, and she was positive now that the person who answered the phone was not Minjoo.

 

And it slightly annoyed her that someone else tried to pose as her best friend.

 

“Yah, who is this?”

 

But instead of getting a reply from the unknown person, Wonyoung heard something like a muffled movement on the other line – it seemed like the receiver of the phone was covered with a hand or something so as to block the sound of whatever was going on over there.

 

There was clearly a conversation going on between Minjoo and the unknown person but of course Wonyoung couldn’t make out the words clearly. Although she could tell that it sounded something like an argument with the way they talked in harsh tones.

 

Minjoo was probably fuming that some other person answered her phone, which was perfectly understandable.

 

But amidst the heated conversation going on the other line, the call was not dropped so Wonyoung just kept silent and stayed on the line. She was sure Minjoo was going pick up again after she’s done with whoever she was talking to and explain everything.

 

A couple of minutes passed more and Wonyoung was getting impatient. If Minjoo didn’t pick up in less than a minute, she decided that she’ll personally talk with Minjoo instead.

 

Fortunately, her best friend’s voice came through the speaker after a few seconds.

 

“Hello? Wonyoung?”

 

“Minjoo? What happened?”

 

“Sorry about that Wonyoung… But now is not a good time to talk.”

 

“Yeah, I can tell. But who was that person who answered?”

 

“It’s… No one. Look, I really can’t talk right now.”

 

“You sure you don’t need help? Sounds like trouble over there.”

 

“There is nothing to worry about. It’s just…” She could hear the hesitation in her Minjoo’s voice. “It’s just my boyfriend.”

 

This caught Wonyoung by surprise. She could swear that the person who answered was a girl but apparently she was wrong.

 

“Huh? That was your boyfriend? Why did he sound like –?”

 

The line was cut before Wonyoung could even finish her sentence.

 

“Wow that’s rude, Kim Minjoo. Even for you.” Wonyoung shoved her phone inside her pocket, completely pissed that her best friend dropped the call on her after all the waiting she did.

 

“She’s really being way too secretive with that guy… It’s not like I’m gonna steal him. I don’t even know what he looks like, let alone his name. Everything about their set up is just too weird.” She thought aloud.

 

It was really odd for Minjoo to not spill any details about who she was currently dating. Minjoo was someone who used to discuss even the most trivial things about her past boyfriends; from how tall they were to how good they smell – it was actually the only topic Minjoo loved to talk about with Wonyoung aside from skincare and shopping.

 

It was also no secret that Minjoo changes boyfriends so much in the past that it was literally like a new guy per week thing. Wonyoung would totally call Minjoo a if they weren’t best friends because the older girl has probably dated half the male population in their school, excluding the not so attractive ones.

 

But with this new guy, the only thing Minjoo has said about him before she got all secretive was that he was sweet, cute, and probably the best thing that has ever happened to her – a statement which surprised Wonyoung since it was the first sickly sweet thing Minjoo has ever said in her whole life and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter