Chapter 2 | The Second Man

The Second Man

Chapter 2 | The Second Man

Under the penetrating sun of wintry Seoul stood an enormous thirty-seven story high-rise building, standing a hundred and eleven meters tall, hovering most of the city’s restaurants, highways, smal-time stores, and pedestrians. With its handsome exterior completely covered with architectural glass, the lofty building radiates a sense sophistication and class, glazing and shining effortlessly under the glaring sun.

Jeongi Publishing Inc., commonly known as Frost Books, is general-interest Korean publishing company that publishes all sorts of books–starting from children’s books and young adult novels to textbooks; both fiction and non-fiction. Through its inexpensive paperback and hardbound covers and their high quality, the company was able to penetrate the market without any difficulty. With such good quality of books, there is a never-stopping demand of service from the company, the sales skyrocketing, its annual revenue growth rate increasing exponentially in a fast pace.

Inside the meeting room sat the entire board of directors as the president of the company discussed possible business deals and strategy for the month in an ongoing meeting. Just as the meeting was adjourned, a loud slamming of door emanated, revealing a five feet, ten inches tall teenager, visibly fuming in, what seemed to be, anger.

“Jeno,” the vice president said as soon as everyone left the room except for him, the president, and the young man. “What do you think you’re doing?”

“What am I doing?” Jeno asked incredulously, letting out a humorless huff. “What are you doing!”

“Jeno, watch your words,” the president intervened. “That’s not how you’re supposed to talk to your father. Have some respect.”

“No, Uncle. You don’t understand,” Jeno reasoned before pointing a finger at his father accusingly. “This man right here will send me to a hellhole.”

“It’s for your own good,” the vice president countered.

“What good will it bring exactly, huh?” Jeno challenged stubbornly. At that, the vice president remained silent, clenching his jaw. And before he could even reply, his son had already stormed off.

With a heavy sigh, the vice president slumped on a seat, rubbing his face in stress. “I seriously don’t know what to do with him anymore.”

“Yoonoh,” the president said, “give it a rest. I’m sure he’ll come around.”

“Stop calling me that,” Yoonoh snapped. “How many times do I have to tell you to call me Jaehyun?”

The company’s vice president, Jung Yoonoh, is a smart, uncompromising, and strikingly gorgeous man in his mid-30's. Standing five feet, eleven inches in height, added by seemingly symmetrical features of his face, sharp and defined jaws, cute pointed nose, luscious pair of lips, muscular body to die for, dimpled cheeks, it’s no wonder Yoonoh is constantly flocked by women–and even men, for that matter. His hotheadedness and strict ways of running the company are often overlooked by people as soon as he’s seen in his usual slicked back hair and corporate attire.

Vice President Jung of Jeongi Publishing Inc. has been a single father and a bachelor for nearly five years now. Raising his one and only son, Jeno, has been one of his primary duties, aside from expanding his company together with the president and his dear friend, Seo Youngho. Ever since his mother’s passing, to say that watching over Jeno has been quite troublesome is an understatement. For years, his son has been a rebel, often not following his orders and doing things just to be able to piss him off. Initially, he thought it was a phase that his son was going through. As time took itself, however, it only worsened.

During Jeno’s middle school, Yoonoh wasn’t present and often received news from Moon Taeil, his son’s butler, about always getting called to the principal’s office for his son’s misbehavior despite him staying in Connecticut for business. His son would always be involved in a fight for whatever reason. If not, he’d be phoned for either Jeno sleeping in class or skipping it. Fortunately enough, he had Taeil to tend all those things for him. As a drastic measure, he decided to send Jeno and Moon Taeil with his half-brother’s family to Shanghai in China in hopes of the boy finally realizing all his wrongdoings and their consequences. However it pained him, Yoonoh took everything in him not to send his son a plane ticket back to Korea.

Being away and stripped off of fortune, Jeno got better and found a sense of self-care and responsibility. Alongside this, however, as Yoonoh had feared, was the growing hatred for his father.

When they reunited at the airport after a year of Jeno staying in China and Yoonoh staying in the US for four, the latter didn’t receive as simple as even a single glance his way. Now, he just received his familiar wrath.

“What’s he fussing about, anyway?” Youngho asked in curiosity.

As much as Yoonoh would rather not talk about it, Youngho has been his best friend and confidant for as long as he could remember. And he knew his best friend would know the best thing to do. They grew up together and spent most of their years close tied, even when Youngho had to move to the US for his education.

Strategic and confident, Youngho was able to help co-found and contribute to the expansion of his and Yoonoh’s business, although the both of them literally started from scratch.

“I enrolled him in Third District of Seoul High School for Science and the Arts.”

“Really, Jaehyun?” Youngho asked in disbelief. “You’re just torturing yourself.”

Silence.

“Man, I know how much it affected you. Instead of impulsively walking down the memory lane every single time, why not focus on bettering yours and your son’s relationship?”

“It’s not that easy.”

“Exactly. That’s why you should stop this nonsense and start doing what you’re should’ve done a long time ago.”

“I’m not changing my mind.”

“All right.” Youngho raised his hands up in surrender. “I’ll go ahead first. I still have things to tend to.”

Conflicted about what his friend said, Yoonoh exited the meeting room in a stride, leisurely marching to his office.

-

“I can’t believe he’s really sending me there.,” Jeno fumed, distaste evident on his face as he paced back and forth.

“Me too,” his cousin, Park Jisung, said. “Can you imagine it, Hyung? I got caught in your mess.”

“Wait.” Jeno halted. He looked at Jisung straight in the eyes. “Uncle Baek and Uncle Yeol are sending you there as well?”

They were inside Park Jisung’s immaculately minimalist room. Spanning for about a hundred and forty-four square feet in area, the room consisted of a walk-in closet full of designer clothes such as Alexander Wang, Dior, and Gucci and a bathroom with silver-colored Italian bathtub, shower, wash basin, and toilet.

On the north side of his room sat his three-monitor desktop which Jisung mainly uses for gaming. Right next to it was his huge study table which a mug full of colorful pens, academic papers, a lamp, and a family picture composing of himself and his fathers, Byun Baekhyun and Park Chanyeol, sat on.

His blankets and pillows are tucked in neatly over the hundred and forty by two hundred centimeters queen-size, sleigh bed, opposing a fluffy couch decorated with three white, cotton pillows.

“Well, yeah. Actually, they didn’t really force me to transfer schools. Dad and Pops asked me if I wanted to be with you in your new school since they know I don’t have that many friends, and I’d be pretty much alone in our previous school without you there.”

Jeno nodded absentmindedly, flopping down on Jisung’s bed. Park Jisung, his cousin, has been his best friends ever since they were toddlers. The younger is the son of his father’s half-brother, Baekhyun, and the latter’s husband, Park Chanyeol, who are both successful businessmen.

As an only child and an heir of a well-established company across the country, Park Jisung had a tough upbringing in the hands of his parents. He was not allowed to play outside with other kids, not that he had anyone to play around with in the first place. The boy was taught the proper etiquette in social and business gatherings at a very young age, and he was taught to always, always follow the orders of his parents, regardless of what the circumstances are. In exchange, Jisung found solace in material gratification, as he was spoiled with everything, from designer bags and clothes to newly released video games and gadgets.

“I still don’t think it’s a good idea to have me switched schools the last minute,” Jeno said as he frustratingly rubbed his face with both of his palms. “I literally can’t think of any benefit transferring there would give me.”

“Uh, Huang Renjun won’t be able to bother you anymore..?”

“Okay, point taken.”

“Come on, Hyung. Don’t stress yourself over this matter. I’ll be there anyway.”

“Is that supposed to make me feel better?” Jeno paused. “‘Cause it doesn’t.”

“I’m literally your only friend.”

“Wrong, I have Mr. Moon. He’s so much better than you.”

“Speaking of Mr. Moon, what are you gonna do with him?”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean, you can’t have a butler hanging around with you now, can you?”

“I haven’t thought about that at all,” Jeno stated, tilting his head sideways as if thinking. “I’m furious at Dad right now, so I’m thinking of actually moving out to an apartment near the school. I can’t even look at him.”

Letting out a sigh, Jisung nodded his head in understanding nevertheless. “Seriously, Hyung, if only you followed Uncle Yoonoh’s decisions, this whole thing wouldn’t have happened. And it’s not like he orders you to do the things that would put you in danger or something.”

“You don’t know anything, Jisung,” Jeno said. “And you should stop calling him by his real name if you don’t want to be mad at you.”

“Yeah, but I’m pretty sure the both of us know that he loves you. And yeah, I probably should.”

“I know he does.” Jeno sighed heavily, rubbing his face with both of his hands as he fixed his gaze at the wall after. “But every time I look at him, I’m reminded of why things are the way they are right now.”

Jisung stayed silent, not moving. He examined the figure beside him who was lost in his own world. The older has been rebeling for years now because of that. Jisung saw determination in Jeno’s eyes as the latter furrowed his eyebrows, as if critically analyzing his next move.

“Enough about me,” the older said dismissively, turning his body to face Jisung’s. “What about you, don’t you think it’s kinda suspicious for them to send you there as well?”

“That’s what I’ve been thinking. Knowing Papa Baek, it sure seems a little suspicious. He’s way too...elitist to send me to a public school.”

“My point exactly. It wouldn’t surprise me if it was just Uncle Chan, but Uncle Baek?”

“Maybe Daddy Chan just wants us to stay by each other and Papa agreed to it because they both know your rebellious tendencies?”

“Okay, but you didn’t have to come for me like that,” Jeno said, grabbing a pillow and playfully hitting his cousin on the head. “Come on, let’s go to the mall and buy furniture for my new apartment.”

“Wait. Didn’t you just say you just thought of moving out right now?” Jisung asked in confusion.

“Yeah. Mr. Moon is outside, and I’m about to tell him to find me a new apartment near that school before we finish shopping.” Jeno smiled widely, both of his forming a crescent moon. “Go change, I’ll wait for you downstairs.”

Without waiting for a reply, Jeno trudged his way out of the room, descending down the carpeted staircase. As he emerged into the living room, he lazily sat on the couch before grabbing the magazine laying on small, wooden table. In boredom, he the television, flipping from channel to another until he settled with a popular variety show.

Not long after, Jisung came trotting down dressed in a plain, white Gucci shirt under a black Armani tweed blazer and brown trench coat, black Armani pants and a pair of shoes. Jeno, who was wearing a black turtleneck over a grey, cotton wool trench coat that reached just above his knees, black skinny jeans, and a pair of black running shoes from Adidas, no longer felt overdressed unlike earlier when Jisung was wearing a pair of pajamas.

“All ready?” Jeno asked, putting his hands inside his pockets.

Receiving a nod as a confirmation, Jeno led the way as the Park’s residence. The cold breeze hit their faces. Across the deserted street, Moon Taeil was standing patiently in the cold weather, face almost ghostly white. When he saw the young masters making their way to him, he immediately opened the backseat doors of the black, Rolls-Royce Phantom Sedan.

Once everything was settled inside the car, Jeno spoke, “Let’s head to the mall.”

“All right,” Mr. Moon responded before roaring the engine to life, accelerating the car into the highway of Seoul.

Not even ten minutes into the drive, Jeno spoke once again. “By the way, Mr. Moon, I want you to find me an apartment near Third District of Seoul High School for Science and the Arts. I expect you to find one by the time Jisung and I finish shopping, are we clear?”

“Actually, Young Master...” Moon Taeil trailed off, looking at Jeno momentarily on the rearview mirror before fixing his eyes on the road. “Master Jung told me just a week ago to look for a place that you can use.”

“Really?”

“Yes, Sir. And I have found you one three days ago. It’s fairly cozy. I know you don’t like too much space, so I looked for a small one yet comfortable enough to live in. I’m sure you’ll like it.” Moon Taeil smiled. “It’s a twenty-minute walk from school, 10 if you ride the bus.”

“Uncle Yoonoh sure planned this out, eh?” Jisung remarked snidely.

“Oh, okay. Thank you, Mr. Moon,” Jeno said. “When can I take a look at the place?”

“We can go there right away after you shop,” Moon Taeil confirmed. “What will you be shopping for anyway?”

“Things for my new apartment.”

“Master Jung had those covered as well.”

“What do you mean?”

“The apartment already has everything you need. I’ve already done all the work. I’ve bought a bed, a television, and all the other necessities. We can head there now, actually, if anything.”

“Oh, sure, let’s do that.”

Jeno frowned. Did his dad want him that bad to be gone from their house that he’d do it to this extent? Jeno thought this was ridiculous, unbelievable even. If his father really wanted him to be out of his life, he didn’t need to do it like this, Jeno would gladly pack all his belongings and leave the house in a heartbeat.

With all those things being sad, Jeno couldn’t help himself but feel hurt. Afterall, the man is still his dad, and they used to be so close. Their relationship before was something to be envious, something fathers and sons would love to have. They used to be partners in crime, always attached to each other’s hip. He used to always anticipate his father’s voice as soon as the man gets home from long hours of work, and Yoonoh would always make time for his son no matter how his day at work went, be it good or bad. On his father’s free time, they would play chess, Yoonoh purposely letting his son win every single time. They loved each other like that. Now, however, Jeno wasn’t sure anymore.

Gone are those days, Jeno realized as his gaze landed outside the heavily tinted window.

The car came to a halt.

“Young Master, we’re here,” the butler announced after parking the car.

The three of them got out, getting on the elevator and heading to the building’s 7th floor where Jeno’s new place was located. When they were in front of the apartment, Moon Taeil slowly opened the door as Jisung and Jeno entered, the butler following closely behind.

The place was indeed small, yet it was designed purposely as homey. Across the door was a grey couch sandwiched by a square, wooden table that’s divided into four parts underneath and an L-shaped table with drawers. There was a new macbook lying on top of the table, and over it was a mini bookcase. On the remaining spaces of the wall were installed, wooden drawers where clothes and other things could be stuffed into, surrounding a door that leads to a room.

Opposite of that was a long, narrow, wooden staircase that led to a lofted bedroom with a small double-size bed, a coffee table with a vase and a flower on it, and a pair of slippers. Underneath it, there was a wooden, compact kitchen and breakfast bar. On its left was the bathroom, consisting of a sink, a toilet, and a shower room.

“Wow, Hyung,” Jisung exclaimed as he looked around in awe, perusing the creative interior design of the apartment. “Just tell me if you don’t want this place, okay?”

“Shut up.” Jeno rolled his eyes at Jisung before turning his attention to his butler. ”This place is actually really nice. Thank you so much, Mr. Moon.”

“You’re always and more than welcome, Young Master.” Moon Taeil bowed his head. “By the way, when do you plan on moving here?”

“As soon as possible. If anything, I want my things to be here before the day ends,” Jeno stated, scanning the place. “Anyway, if there’s already a lofted bedroom, does that mean that this room is a guest room?”

“Uh, no,” Taeil muttered, scratching his nape awkwardly. “I will be moving here as well.”

“What?!”

“Um, Young Master, I’m your guardian. You’re just eighteen, you still can’t live alone.”

Jisung snickered, receiving an elbow from his cousin. Jeno shook his head in disbelief. He guessed it couldn’t be helped.

“I will phone the servants now if you’ll excuse me.”

Jeno nodded his head before Taeil got out his phone and exited the room but not before bowing to the two young masters. As soon as he was outside, he immediately pressed the call button on the very familiar contact. Four rings, and then the other line answered.

“Taeil,” the man said firmly.

“Master Jung,” Moon Taeil said. “I’m with Young Master Jeno and Young Master Jisung at the apartment building. Everything has already been settled. The only thing that needs to be done is to move some of Young Master Jeno’s belongings to the new apartment.”

“All right.” Jung Yoonoh let out a long contented sigh on the other line. “I’m surprised he didn’t make a fuss out of this whole moving out thing.”

“Well, from what I’ve noticed, he’d been thinking of moving out for quite a while now,” Taeil explained to Yoonoh on the other line as he stood in the middle of the hallway. “I guess you transferring him to another school was the last straw for him. Coincidentally, you’ve been thinking letting him move out.”

“I guess...” Yoonoh trailed off, passing a group of employees who greeted him and he greeted back. “I just want the best for him, you know? Maybe sending him to a normal school will be helpful. All the people he used to hang around in his previous school are all stuck up and, Lord forgive me for saying this, good for nothing. He’s already been at the peak of his rebellious phase and having them around him made it worse.”

“I agree, Master Jung, but does this mean you’re going to cut his allowance as well?”

“A little, yeah.” Jaehyun entered his office, walking to the glass panel that overlooked almost the entirety of Seoul. “I’m sure he doesn’t need that much money anyway. On top of it, he’s already eighteen. When I was his age, I started wanting to work, be independent, and live on my own.”

Silence.

“Master Jung,” Moon Taeil called nervously to the other line, “are you really sure about sending him here and to this new school?”

Coming from an established family and being the son of Jung Yunho, the well-known owner of a company that produces world-class and high quality musical instruments, it’s no rocket science for everyone to see Yoonoh living a comfortable life. Although his mom was no longer around at the time, he was fairly satisfied with what he had.

Jung Yoonoh was just a high school boy when he met the love of his life. What was supposed to be a normal lunch with friends at a local restaurant rendered him breathless upon seeing the guy. He could clearly recall, he and his friends, one of them being Johnny, were in school uniform walking down the block when they were stopped by someone who was wearing a mascot in front of the restaurant they were headed. They were given out flyers of the restaurant where the latest promo was plastered. Yoonoh accepted it nonchalantly as their group walked inside, sat down, and ordered.

Their group stayed there for about forty-five minutes, but just about thirty minutes into their stay there, Yoonoh noticed the mascot entered the restaurant in a slow pace. As he was about to get back to his lunch, the person wearing the mascot removed the head of his costume, revealing the most beautiful man Jung Yoonoh had ever seen in his entire life. Defined jawlines, straight-edged nose, thin, luscious lips, deep, dark brown eyes that were dreamy as the starry night, smooth cheeks—all of which belonged to the same person. Mouth completely agape, he snapped out of his trance when Youngho called his name for the third time.

“What are you looking at?”

“Nothing.”

“Is it that guy?” Youngho had asked him that time as they both glanced at the mascot guy who accepted a white envelope enthusiastically. “He’s pretty popular at his school. He’s beautiful, friendly, talented. I think he’s smart, too. All in all, he seemed like an amazing person.”

“You know him?” Yoonoh remembered asking in curiosity, his gaze shifting from the mascot guy to Youngho before traveling back to the subject of their conversation.

“Yeah, this guy that I’m with in the broadcomm program is dating a girl from Third District of Seoul High School for Science and the Arts. He was getting on about some other guy that his girlfriend was fawning over. Turns out it’s that guy. Almost the entire student body of that school has a crush on him. I can’t blame them, though,” Youngho had replied, taking a stripped beef with his chopsticks before bringing it to his mouth.

Yoonoh had only stared at Youngho that moment before fixing his gaze to the mascot guy who disappeared into the changing room only to comeback in his school uniform with a satisfied smile on his face, holding an envelope that had, Yoonoh presumed, cash inside.

Putting the strap of his messenger on one of his shoulders, the mascot guy exited the restaurant, turning around halfway to give the employees at the counter a radiant smile, teeth flashing as if he was a model for some toothpaste commercial. Yoonoh, with his mouth open, just had only watched until the figure was no longer in sight.

“Master Jung?” Taeil asked worriedly on the other line.

Snapping out of his trance, Yoonoh hastily replied, “O-oh, sorry. I just zoned out a little. What were you saying?”

“Young Master wants his things to be delivered here before the day ends, so I’ll contact some people to have his belongings packed.”

“Yeah, sure. Do just that.”

“Do you have any more questions, Sir?”

“None. Thank you, Taeil. I’m leaving him to you, alright. Just call me if any problem occurs or if you need anything.”

“Will do, Master,” Taeil affirmed, tucking the phone inside his pocket after ending the call and sending a text for the maids to pack Jeno’s things.

On the other hand, Yoonoh massaged his temples in stress. It had been so long since he had a flashback like that, and it was definitely unhealthy holding onto such memories when all they ever do is keep him overthinking over something he could no longer change. in

Clucking his tongue, he took a seat, placing both of his legs on his table, tossing his phone carelessly on it. Maybe a nap will do.

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Kudos, comments, and suggestions are very much appreciated.