Chapter 1 | The Second Man

The Second Man

Chapter 1 | The Second Man

At exactly a hundred and twenty-seven kilometers heading northeast from the heart of Seoul stood the small and rickety rented apartment where Na Jaemin lives. It is an old, forlorn apartment with barely any furniture, serving as a catalyst from the extravagant and lavish units in the two conjoined buildings by a single rooftop, sandwiching a staircase that separates them. The monthly rent is the cheapest among the units, but it just so happened that Lee Taeyong, his father, was short in money.

“Come on, Lee Yongie,” the landlord, Mr. Shim, said exasperatedly. “You’re two weeks past your monthly due, and it’s been two months since you paid your rent, three in two weeks. Either pay by the end of this month or you’re going to live in the streets. I’m sorry, but this is business.”

“I’m sorry,” Taeyong apologized, bowing his head repeatedly in shame as Jaemin watched from the inside of the apartment, “I promise to pay by the end of this month.”

Despite only seeing his father’s back, Jaemin could see how apologetic Taeyong was by the latter’s body language. He knew they’ve been having financial problems since God knows when because of the electricity bills, water bills, and monthly rent. Not to mention, it was nearing school season, and his father wanted to be able to buy decent uniforms for him, since the uniforms he uses no longer fit him. So, despite knowing it was not the best decision, his father bought him new uniforms. If it weren’t for his father’s best friend, Doyoung, he can’t even imagine where he and his father would be at this very moment.

“Here,” he said, walking up to them, finally intervening and handing the landlord a sum of money, “take this.”

The place was relatively small, spanning for about three-hundred square foot, compared to the rest of the units. It was divided into two mini bedrooms, a kitchen, a bathroom, a study area, and a tiny living room. Although they are cramped in such a small place, it was alright as long as they are together.

With his mouth agape, Taeyong stared at his son incredulously, not believing what he was seeing, “J-Jaemin, y-you don’t have to

“Pa,” Jaemin called, squeezing his father’s shoulder reassuringly, “it’s alright.”

“N-No, it’s not.”

“Then, you can pay me next time, okay?”

Despite the older wearing a mask, Jaemin saw the tired look in his father’s eyes despite the attempt to smile behind the fabric Taeyong was wearing. It had always been like that since the latter works two jobs to feed the both of them. His youth had long gone with the wind, completely replaced by the exhaustion caused by sleepless nights and countless responsibilities attached to him. It wouldn’t even be believable if an old friend ever said he was the prettiest student in high school back in the days– a beauty that of a given by Aphrodite as people used to call it. Little by little, his hair is becoming gray through the years, like that of ashes in a fireplace during winter season, and his current physique is even comparable to a matchstick.

“When’s school starting?” Taeyong asked as soon as they settled on the floor in front of the small, wooden table, removing the mask plastered on his face. He served each of them a bowl of kimchi fried rice.

“By Monday,” Jaemin responded as he took a mouthful of porridge. “Haechan and I enrolled a few weeks ago. You don’t have to worry about any school fees, ‘Pa. My scholarship covers it all.”

Being exceptional in academics, Jaemin managed to snatch a scholarship when he and his father moved to Seoul. The decision to move at the capital was made by the both of them, Jaemin to be able to move on from an awful past and Taeyong to get back the life he used to have. However, living and going to school in Seoul is costly, and so Jaemin worked hard to be able to go to school without burdening his father of the expenses.

At a young age, Na Jaemin shouldered the responsibilities he shouldn’t even be thinking. He learned to compromise with life’s way of mistreatment toward him and his father and use every bit of resources he had. He learned not to complain and continue on striving, even just in school. He’s aware that doing good in school and getting into a university would most likely be the key in order to give himself and his father the life the both of them deserve.

Jaemin is doing it all not for himself but mainly for his father. He knew his father didn’t deserve the life he’s living. Taeyong deserved so much more than settling at a rundown apartment with little ventilation and being mistreated by the people around them. Jaemin knows that his father deserved everything in this life, and so that motivates him to fight every single day, that drives him to stand up when he trips and falls down along the way of fighting for survival.

Nodding reluctantly, Taeyong tidied up the dining table by the time they were done, leaving the rest of the chores to Jaemin before getting ready for work. Taeyong kissed his son’s forehead, trudging his way to his work under the chilly and foggy sky of Seoul.

As soon as his father left the apartment, Jaemin spent the entire morning washing the dishes, vacuuming the floor, wiping the appliances with wet towel, cleaning the rugged electric fan, and doing other household chores. He wanted to be done before noon, so he could go out with his best friend, Lee Donghyuck, to buy snacks he can sell in class when school starts.

He’s been doing it since middle school, selling snacks in class to save money. The money he earns usually serves as his allowance, sometimes he pays miscellaneous fee with it if he can. When he has the money, he no longer asks money from his father. Taeyong doesn’t know about it, at least that’s what Jaemin thinks. This school year, however, he has other plans for the money he’ll be earning once he starts selling snacks in class again.

After doing his chores, Jaemin took a shower and got ready to meet Donghyuck. The video intercom started ringing, revealing his best friend in winter clothes, waiting patiently outside. He answered the intercom in haste, telling the other that he’d be outside in a minute. Jaemin turned off everything inside the house before grabbing his coat and opening the door, stepping outside under the unfriendly winter season of Seoul.

 

Several blocks away from the Lee residence rose the local grocery store of the district. Home to almost every snack a Seoulite could ever find, it stretches for about thirty-seven thousand square feet, facing the streets of Seoul.

Inside, Jaemin hummed lightly as he dragged himself from aisle to aisle, picking out snacks he could sell in class. His friend best friend, Lee Donghyuck, let out an exasperated sigh, stomping childishly, stopping him in his tracks.

“You’re not really listening, are you?”

“I am,” Jaemin countered as he picked out a couple of seaweed snack. “You’re talking about Mark Lee.”

“Nana, I’m always talking about Mark Lee,” Donghyuck exclaimed obnoxiously. “You have to be more specific before I believe you.”

Lee Donghyuck, or Haechan as Jaemin calls him, has been by his side since seventh grade. They were seated next to each other then but never actually talked until Donghyuck walked up to him one day as he browsed the manga section of the bookstore downtown. Both met by equally profound excitement over the same interest, the two talked about manga, sharing their respective sentiments on the latest ones taking the stage by storm. That encounter was the start of blossoming friendship.

“Okay, okay,” Jaemin surrendered. “What were you saying, anyway?”

“I’m asking you new tactics for him to fall for me.”

“Oh, so you finally realize that you pestering him isn’t going to work?”

“It is going to work,” Donghyuck said, “just with a little bit of something else.”

“I don’t get it,” Jaemin sighed. “Just a week ago, you were literally talking about how the universe is an entropic massive space that favors disorder and chaos, that things are meant to crumble. You were going all emo that maybe you and Mark Lee are just not meant to be together.”

“Not my love for him, no.” Donghyuck shook his head. “And that was a moment of weakness, okay? Cells replace themselves. I’m no longer that Donghyuck. Right now, I’m a whole new person who’s trying to be positive so positive energy will come to melaw of attraction.”

“Did you swallow a physics book or something?” Jaemin asked in amusement. “This and last week are the only times I hear you say something like that.”

“Well, Mark loves physics. Maybe if he finds out that I have an interest in it, he’ll be the one to initiate a conversation.”

“You sound like a total nerd,” Jaemin said, chuckling. “I doubt Mark Lee would be impressed.”

“Hey,” Donghyuck protested, punching his best friend lightly on the arm, “there’s nothing wrong with being a nerd!”

“There isn’t,” Jaemin pointed out, “but you aren’t one. Why would you act like someone else just to be liked by him?”

Donghyuck frowned.

The first time Lee Donghyuck saw Mark Lee, Jaemin remembered Donghyuck telling him, was when they were toddlers. The two were childhood friends until the age of five when Mark and his family had to move to Canada for business purposes of Mr. Lee. Last year, Mark Lee came back from overseas and enrolled in Third District of Seoul High School for Science and the Arts, the same school Donghyuck and Jaemin enrolled in. As they were old friends, Donghyuck thought that their first meeting after so many years would be the chance of reconciliation. He was wrong, however, because he’d gone head over heels for the boy as soon as he saw him and heard his voice.

Having the privilege to live in a foreign country, Mark Lee became popular in an instant, his name spreading all over the campus like a wildfire. Add to that, he made it to the school basketball team.

Amidst all the popularity and the repercussions it might bring, Donghyuck was genuinely grateful for the guy. It would no longer be hard for Mark to adjust in his environment and lifestyle if everybody liked him, he thought. At the same time, it made him less eager to approach Mark and introduce himself as the boy he used to play with. Their parents were friends, and so they, too, became, as well.

By the time he’d mustered up the courage to introduce himself, Mark Lee had only stared at him without uttering a word before turning away. For Donghyuck, the rejection had been such a blow that he felt dysfunctional for over a week. However, with Jaemin’s comforting words, he was able to redeem himself and made the rejection a type of motivation to be able to befriend Mark Lee once again–and if possible, to be romantically loved by him. So, every day, even with the same ole result and constant rejection, he tries to get the guy to talk to or at least look at him.

Sighing, Jaemin faced him, putting his hand on his shoulder. “Hey, I know you really like Mark Lee, and I, a hundred percent, support you. Just don’t do crazy things to make him like you.”

“What are you trying to say?” Donghyuck mumbled, looking away. “You’ve been supported of me with this delusion of mine. What made you change your mind?”

“I don’t mean to badmouth him or anything, but you spent the entire tenth year chasing after him. He doesn’t even send you a message-back when you literally text him every morning,” Jaemin reasoned. “And I’m not saying this just because you’re my best friend, but there’s something about you I can’t pinpoint that makes you stand out.”.”

“I know you mean well.” Donghyuck smiled wholeheartedly. “Sorry.”

“Don’t we have an underclassman who has a crush on you, though?”

“Who?”

“Kim Seungmin?” Jaemin guessed, tilting his head as he looked up. “I think he’ll be in Class 10-A.”

“Yeah, but he isn’t Mark Lee, so...”

“Let’s just head to the cashier and have these punched. I wanna buy Papa cute face masks,” Jaemin said, shaking his head in hilarity.

As they exited the store, they headed to another shop nearby, walking alongside each other by the sidewalk.

“How’s Uncle Yongie, by the way?”

“Same old,” Jaemin mumbled, swaying the plastic bag full of wide variety of snacks he was holding. “He always tries to make it seem like he’s doing fine, you know, to save the both of us from the trouble of arguing against each other, but I think he’s been overworked, especially these past few weeks.”

“Why, are they short on staff at the bakeshop?”

“No, but he started taking commissioned artworks again. I honestly don’t know what for, well, aside from the fact that we’re almost three months behind the monthly rent. I mean, I genuinely have no problem with him painting and drawing again. It’s just that I think he feels like he has to, but I just keep my mouth shut. I’d rather get shot than see him actually hurt.”

They arrived at the clothing store, picking out a couple of cute face masks.

“Just let him. He knows what he’s doing.”

“I can’t help but be worried.”

“Don’t be. Besides, Uncle Doyoung is always there for you guys. I’m sure he’s looking out for Uncle Yongie. Plus, if you need anything, my parents are just a call away. You know they like you and Uncle Yongie so much. They won’t hesitate to help if you need a hand.”

“Thanks, Haechan.”

“You know, it’s not such a bad thing that Uncle Yongie has two jobs, as long as he doesn’t neglect his health. And I doubt that he would. For the record, he loves you so much. He knows it would kill you to see him like that. You don’t have to worry over nothing.”

At that, Jaemin simply smiled.

-

A few kilometers away from the grocery store where Jaemin and Donghyuck went, Taeyong arrived at the bakeshop, the bells jingling as he went inside, removing his coat and mask. He immediately saw his co-worker, Winwin, who looked like he’d been waiting for him.

Dong Sicheng, who goes by the name Winwin, is a five feet, nine inches ball of sunshine with an irresistible smile that captures the heart of whoever he flashes it to. He is a college student, majoring in East Asian traditional dance, who usually works full-time during the summer and part-time during school season. Although his parents owns a pretty popular Chinese restaurant forty-five minutes away that earned a name in Seoul for their spectacular and unmatched cooking of the Chinese cuisine, he chose to work at Young’s Bakeshop for whatever reason. Typically, the childlike man of Chinese descent is not apprehensive and rarely ever tense or agitated unless something is up.

“Yongie-hyung!” Winwin practically shouted, jumping to his feet. “Mr. Kim is here. He wants to talk to you.”

Curious by his co-worker’s unusual behavior, he made his way into the owner’s office but not before knocking first.

“Winwin said you were looking for me?” Taeyong asked as he peeked inside the office.

“I am,” his boss confirmed. “Have you heard the news?”

Confused, Taeyong asked, “What news?”

“N-Nothing,” Doyoung stuttered, fueling Taeyong’s suspicion even more. “Y-You can start your shift now.”

“Kim Dongyoung,” Taeyong deadpanned. “What is it?”

Startled, Doyoung shifted his eyes to everything but Taeyong’s. “It’s really nothing. It’s just, there’s a rumor we’re gonna have a competitor soon. Yeah, that.”

“Okay…?” the man wearing a mask trailed off. “I’m gonna head off now.”

The owner of the baker at the local district, Kim Dongyoung, has been friends with Taeyong since high school. He was the latter’s confidant and most trusted friend back in the days, even now, as he was and is an intellectual and could hold secrets to himself. They met all the way back in freshman year of high school, the time when he was mesmerized by Taeyong’s beauty the first time their paths crossed. Doyoung had a little crush, and it only grew fonder when he’d gotten to know and saw the raw him. It was wishful thinking to imagine they’d, at some point, fall in love with each other, knowing Taeyong had been harboring feelings for someone else.

It was silly, Doyoung thought as he tried to look back. He was never the romantic type, often getting called out by other students for always frowning at everyone else while caring only for Taeyong. Frankly, he never made a move on the latter, deciding on keeping their friendship, and as if the Gods were in his favor, his feelings actually subsided in a matter of time, at least to Taeyong’s knowledge. Regardless, he still cared for Taeyong like a brother.

He only became overprotective as he witnessed Taeyong’s condition from the last several years, for he no longer saw the latter laugh like how he used to, loud and boisterous, as if his laughter would reach the next city. The lively, enthusiastic Taeyong that he grew up with had left some time ago, replaced by the one who desperately clings onto something that keeps him from falling over the edge, from falling freely.

Occasionally, Doyoung would see Taeyong zone out while on shift, staring through the wall glass, not necessarily watching the oncoming passersby. Sometimes, Taeyong would look at him without saying anything, but the latter’s reflect infinite questions of where everything in his life had gone astray. The latter’s silence from the several years up until now, Doyoung concluded, is the loudest Taeyong had ever been.

It was scary, Doyoung thought, how lifeless Taeyong has become. He’d rather see him cry or be angry and demand for answers, or any kind of reaction for that matter. Not this, though. Doyoung is terrified that this news would only make things worse.

Clueless, Taeyong opened the bakery, not knowing the upcoming catastrophe that was about to come his way.