Chapter 6

Undercover

                You decided to take the long route back to the institute, the one that crossed through downtown Seoul where all the shops were. The night air was refreshing and the stars were extra bright tonight. You realized as you were walking that the coffee shop Taesoo worked at was somewhere around here. But it was already past Eight o’clock at night so it was probably closed. Your meeting with Kai kept replaying in your mind as you considered his offer. Of course, you were happy, if not ecstatic to see him, but could you trust him completely? Definitely not like how you trusted Sehun, because after all this older, more mature Kai was still a stranger to you, just like how you were a stranger to him in a sense. You also couldn’t just leave Sehun, but getting those files back would help him, the Head would like him because the mission would be ‘saved’ and that could only result in good things for Sehun. Kai had given you his cellphone number and told you to contact him once you have made your decision.

                You approached a crosswalk, immersed in your thoughts, when you noticed someone, a guy, carrying a large cardboard box, about to cross the street. The box was big enough to cover his direct line of sight and you watched as he looked right and then left to make sure there were no cars, but he did not notice the vehicle that was about to turn from the corner street behind him. As fast as you could, you ran over and pulled him back before he could take another step into the street. Your momentum caused both of you to stumble and fall backwards onto the sidewalk pavement. The cardboard box fell between you two and made a horrible crashing sound; whoops, sounded like there was glass or porcelain in there. It was silent for a moment, both of you catching your breath and watching as the car zoomed past, the driver not giving the two of you a second glance.

                “Sorry…about that… it’s just, you almost got run over by that car” you say this, still a little breathless. You crawl over to see if he is okay.

                “Th-thank you, you saved my life” he looks up at you and your breath catches. He was beautiful. His dark eyes were large and innocent, his skin flawless, and his defined jawline and pretty cheekbones completed his perfectly handsome face. He did not seem much older than you either.

                “uh-umm haha no p-problem. A-are you hurt?”. Oh great Hanbyul, very smooth, stuttering like you have speech problems in front of this extremely hot guy.

                “No, no I’m fine, what about you? Are you okay?” You blush and nod your head, still shocked by his good-looks. He stands up and offers you his hand and you take it; it is large and warm around yours. He walks over to examine the box and picks it up.

                “sorry about that, I think whatever was in there broke” you apologize.

                “Oh its fine, it’s just a few mugs and cups, easily replaceable” He gives you a reassuring smile and you blush again. Thank god it’s night time.

                “Um, thanks again, for saving my life”

                “Oh yeah, haha it’s not a big deal, I go around saving peoples’ lives all the time” The moment this leaves your mouth you mentally bash yourself for saying such a stupid thing, but thankfully he laughs at your attempt to lighten up the mood. You feel your face heat up for the third time tonight; gosh what is wrong with me.

                “So, where are you headed” he asks.

                “Oh, just going back home” you lie.

                “Maybe I should walk you back” he suggests. You raise your eyebrows at him.

                “Consider it as me paying you back for saving my life...because you never know what kind of creepers are out here late at night”

                “How do I know you’re not one of them?”

He laughs again “ok, fair enough, than just tell me one thing, what’s your name?”

                “Hanbyul, Kim Hanbyul”

                “Hanbyul” he says like he’s testing it in his mouth. “That’s a pretty name” he says while smiling at you.

You are about to ask for his name but your cellphone dings and you are interrupted.

Text message from Key sent 8:52:23

HANBYUL, WHERE THE ARE YOU?

Suddenly panic sets in and you hope you are not in trouble, you didn’t tell anyone that you would be out this late.

                “Oh uhhmm yeah sorry I better get going, my mom gets really pissed when I’m late”

                “Oh okay, well hopefully I’ll see you around Hanbyul, thanks again”

                “Yeah! No problem. Bye!” you basically say this while you begin running and he looks kind of confused. Once you were further away you look back to see him looking at you before turning around and walking in the opposite direction.

 

                When you get back to the institute it is rather quiet. You see a group of people in the corner of the main room drinking and smoking, but other than that it is rather empty. You wonder why Key seemed so urgent in his text message when you can’t even find him anywhere. You go to the bathroom and splash your face with cold water, enjoying the refreshing feeling it gives you, and then retie your hair into a messy bun. You exit the bathroom and are about to go upstairs when you hear voices coming from a room nearby. One of them was definitely Sehun’s. You trace the sound to the room across from the bathroom and peek through the crack in the doorway. You see Sehun and Eunseo standing near the window, they are talking about something but you can’t really tell what. You watch, as she suddenly puts her hand on his chest, tilts her head up and kisses him. You gasp really loudly and immediately retract from your position at the doorway so they do not see you. , they probably heard me though. Before anything else happens, you run across the hall and up the stairs to your room. Once you get there you immediately flop on your bed, trying to process what just happened and why you had such a bad feeling in your stomach. Were they together? Is that why Eunseo is being so clingy with Sehun? But Sehun would’ve told you something important like that, he would’ve told you if he were seeing someone. But even if he was, why were you so sad? No, not sad, angry. Yes you were angry, but why? Were you jealous? No, you just disliked Eunseo and you believed Sehun deserved better than her, that’s why you were mad that she was basically molesting your best friend. But you still had that uncomfortable feeling in the back of your throat and you felt like you needed to throw up.

                A few moments later someone knocked on your door. You hoped it was Key and not Sehun. But of course when you opened the door you see Sehun standing there, hands in his pocket, with a small smile on his face, oblivious to the fact that you saw what happened between him and Eunseo. He walks in and comfortably sits down on your bed.

                “Where were you this afternoon? He asks while yawning, “I couldn’t find you anywhere and Key didn’t know where you were either”.

                “I don’t know, why do you care? You basically ditched me for that girl” You were surprised the moment this left your mouth but you couldn’t help it.

                Sehun suddenly sat up and looked at you with a confused expression, like he couldn’t believe what he just heard. “What are you talking about Hanbyul? You basically told me to go with her! And its not like I really had a choice, that girl is scary”

                “Mhm” you say while pretending to examine yourself in the mirror. Maybe Sehun likes scary girls you think to yourself.

                “Okay, seriously, will you tell me what the is going on with you? You’ve been acting weird ever since that job we failed”

You don’t reply for a moment debating what you should tell him. You decide to just tell him the truth.

                “I went to meet with Kai today”

Sehun looks at you for a moment like you just spoke jibberish but then realization dawns upon him. “You mean the guy who took those files?”

You nod and finally turn around to face him.  Sehun looks at you incredulously. “Are you crazy? Why would you go meet up with the enemy? Do you not know how dangerous that is? You should have at least told me, remember we promised to always tell each other these kinds of things?”

                “I know Sehun; I was going to tell you! Like, I’m telling you right now! I just didn’t want you to worry. Anyways it’s okay, he’s my childhood friend, I knew him when I was little…I don’t think he would have done anything to me” But even as you say these last words you realize you don’t sound very convinced yourself.

                “That’s not the point Hanbyul, you don’t just go waltzing off to meet up with the enemy, even if he’s your childhood friend or whatever, people change, and not always for the better”

                You suddenly feel stupid and ashamed for what you did. “You’re right, I was acting brash…but he offered to give back the files, in exchange for…”

                “In exchange for what?”

                “In exchange for me” you say hesitantly. You are afraid of Sehun’s reaction.

                “Well, your not actually going to go are you?” he asks. But you just shrug and he looks surprised because he expected you to say ‘ of course not’.

                “Listen Sehun, if I go then you can get the files back because we both know that we screwed up big time for failing that job, and the Head isn’t too happy with us right now. And if you get it back than both you and Key won’t be in trouble anymore and most likely the Head would promote you” Sehun was looking out the window now and scratching his head, seemingly deep in thought.

                “If you  go, then I’m going with you” He said this determinedly.

                “No, than what’s the point?”

                “Well  we can still get those files back for key and I dunno, it might be fun to check out what enemy headquarters are like” Your mouth falls open, you are surprised by his sudden change in attitude.

                “Hmph, are you sure? Don’t you want to stay here with Eunseo?” you say this without thinking again.Darn your stupid mouth that can’t just shut up, why were you so impacted by that anyways.

                “Jesus Christ Hanbyul, not this again, seriously what is up with you and her”

                “I saw you guys kissing” you say quietly, avoiding eye contact with him. Sehun looks at you with a surprised expression on his face.

                “Oh that…Okay just to make it clear, she kissed me, I did NOT kiss her back and” he pauses for a moment, like he’s trying to piece together a puzzle in his head “Are you jealous or something?”.

                Upon hearing this you become furious again, at Sehun? Eunseo? Yourself? You don’t know but you basically take Sehun by the shirt, throw him out of your room and slam the door in his face. He tries pounding on the door for several minutes before you hear him curse and walk away.

                You decided that it to be a teenager, especially one in your situation. You were so confused and conflicted about everything. You washed up and changed into your pajamas, setting your alarm because you had another job early in the morning. You tossed and turned for what seemed like hours before you fell asleep thinking about Kai, Sehun, and the Beautiful, unnamed boy who’s life you saved.