93% - 93% Mine = 0% Mine

99% Mine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Warning: don't freak out with the chapter title. Read on. Also, no rated scene.

 

 

NASA's Recruitment Manager told them they had no high hopes that two young Computer Science students from South Korea could solve the problems their experts couldn't, but they liked their background, and only requested them to do one thing: their best.

The two were given a tour around the institution and enough time to admire the spaceships and launch stations, including their control room, before they sat down to figure out what could be the matter of that year's failure launch.

They were told that they were young scientists number 48 and 49 who tried to solve the problem, and once more, were told that there was no pressure. All their accommodation would remain free and their paycheck would still be paid.

"These warnings of "it's ok if you can't" are starting to get on my nerves" Sooyoung grumbled.

"They want us to know that although we're smart, smarter people have tried and failed."

"Then why did they hire us at all? Why can't they just say, "Please do your best and help us?""

"They're basically doing it by hiring us."

"Weird people."

Despite Sooyoung's grumblings, they still proceeded to analyze everything they had to. They were asked to study everything related to the launching, from the calculations, the blueprint, the spaceship's material and even saw the spaceship with their own eyes.

It looked all shiny and majestic, yet it wouldn't fly off, making US lost what looked like unfathomable amount of money to Sungjae and Sooyoung.

They also studied about the US's analysis of what could possibly went wrong.

All of these studying took them a week, until they memorized all the spaceship's design, down to the screw's names and wires' colours.

They loved solving difficult Math formulas and basically any scientific problems. They would feel a restless nagging inside their brains if they couldn't solve it, making them unable to enjoy their meals or sleep well.

On their second week, Sungjae suggested another walk around the building, hoping to get some inspiration.

They stood in front of a glass wall that overlooked the astronauts training area.

Sooyoung buried her hands in her white lab jacket, then leant on the railing, feeling lost.

Sungjae stared at the blue sky, wondering whether South Korea would one day be able to have a place like NASA as well........

On their right was the control room. The officers were there, talking with an earpiece and pointing at the screen on their computers.

And then Sungjae suddenly remembered something.

"What if it's not human error, but computers error?"

Sooyoung turned to him.

"What do you mean?"

"The calculation part! What if they counted wrongly even before they prepared for launching?"

"They must have checked it at least a dozen times, everything related to the velocity, the force to launch, the weather and everything."

"Yes, but the computers were set up to 12 decimals behind the point. What if the errors were because of a really slight difference in decimals?"

"............you mean you want to redo the computing personally?"

"Yes. Because computers have limits."

Sooyoung understood him.

They both hurried to the meeting room assigned for them, where they could work all they like without getting disturbed.

Every factor that was related to the spaceship launch had its own mathematics counting. The velocity, the force to launch the spaceship, the amount of fuel, the weight of the astronauts, their suits, luggage for survival in the outer space, their oxygen stock, everything.

They both stood in front of the huge white boards, as Sooyoung gave him a marker while she herself held one.

"The velocity and force first?"

"Yeah, both are the key factors."

"How far do you think we should go?"

"Double it? Let's go for 24 decimals behind the point."

"Ok."

They set to work. Sooyoung and Sungjae both redid the same counting for the velocity and force, climbing the wooden stool to start counting numbers from the top of each whiteboard.

Soon, their huge boards were filled with numbers.

They both took off their lab jackets and rolled their sleeves. Sooyoung also put her hair up into a bun with a pencil, before they resumed their counting on their second boards.

Whoever found the error first won.

It was just one of their other games.

The meeting room had glass walls, like all the other meeting rooms in NASA.

When they asked the office boys for four more empty white boards, the experts of the said team that failed to launch their spaceship began gathering outside.

"They wouldn't, right?" the team's chief said to the Recruitment Manager.

"If they solve this, we get to launch a spaceship and the Ministry of Finance would stop trying to strangle our necks. We got nothing to lose."

"We'll lose to two Korean kids."

The manager laughed at his friend.

"Don't be a racist. We need to launch that spaceship no matter what. It doesn't matter who solve the problem."

It took them four hours and eight huge whiteboards plus three markers each, but Sooyoung declared she found the calculation error.

Sungjae checked hers as she checked his.

They did identical calculations and both arrived at the same conclusion.

NASA experts counted wrongly in the middle of the step, because the computers NASA had couldn't process longer than 12 numbers beside the point.

Counting it manually could reach the accurate answer.

When they reported their result to the Recruitment Manager, their hands were shook sincerely with a "Thank you so much, you've saved us", while the launching chief said briskly, "We'll triple your paychecks. Say not a word to anyone. Pack up immediately. Your access in NASA's premises will be invalid in one hour."

Sungjae only raised his eyebrows.

But Sooyoung got angry.

"How arrogant for someone who couldn't even do his job right, kicking us right after we manage to clean up your mess."

The Chief walked up fast to Sooyoung as if he was going to slap her, and the Recruitment Manager stopped him, as Sungjae quickly stood in front of her, one hand holding hers tight to shut her up.

"Let's just all calm down here" the manager said, trying to hold his older friend in his place.

"Get out of here before I kick you out of this country!"

"We're legally hired by your institution!!!"

"Sooyoung, please," Sungjae begged urgently in Korean, "Let's just go!"

"No, I need to teach that bastard a lesson!" she replied angrily, also in Korean.

"That's enough. Please. I don't want anything to happen to you"

"We'll go" Sungjae said in English again. "But if you don't want to lose your country's money too much and make sure the lives of your astronauts to be safer, you should not trust computers so much. They're all made by humans after all."

"I don't need lectures from a kid" the chief spat.

"I only said the truth. Science is truth, Sir. Never arrogance" he said, before he pulled at Sooyoung's hand and dragged her out to the elevator.

"Oh, God, I want to kill that stupid, old bastard!"

"It's not worth it. Let's just go back to Massachusetts."

They didn't carry much. It was a quick stop at their rooms before they entered the car that would take them back to the airport.

When they were all buckled up in the plane, Sooyoung realized something, "We have two weeks off before classes start!"

"Yeah, we finished early."

"That's amazing!"

"What would you like to do?"

"Be a tourist?"

"In Massachusetts?"

She nodded brightly.

"Ahrasseo."

To forget the rudeness they experienced in NASA, they visited the Salem Witch Museum, where Sooyoung got so excited she recorded the whole thing. They went on a Night Tour of the Historically Haunted places in the city, despite Sungjae's horror.

He was pale through the whole thing as Sooyoung went all wide-eyed and excited, but no matter what, he didn't quit and kept on staying with her. She already suggested that she should do the tour on her own, since it's a communal tour anyway, she wouldn't be alone. He insisted on joining her though, even when his hands got all cold going through all the haunted places.

They also went to Boston's Historical Freedom Trail tour, wearing clothes that Americans wore two hundred years ago. The tour members complimented them as "a pretty couple", since they looked good in the costumes despite being Asian.

She was a little better with American food, so they went around the city tasting things. NASA did send them triple the agreed amounts. They watched musical theatres and checked in at the Seaport Hotel in Boston.

She was never into shopping, but one day they were aimlessly walking around at Boston's shopping area and found Rhonda Shear's lingerie boutique.

Sungjae wanted to buy her some, but she said in Korean,

"What for? You like me better ."

"You'll look great in those. Besides it will be fun taking them off you."

Sooyoung still didn't see the point, yet he ended up buying her a huge bag full of colourful lingerie.

Needless to say, they spent their last week of holiday in their hotel room.

*******************************************************

In the summer after their first year in MIT, they had three months holiday, and the Ministry of Defense hired them.

"What's with all these American institutions hiring us?" Sungjae mused.

Apparently, the Recruitment Manager from NASA recommended them.

Sooyoung already forgot her anger to American institutions and liked the paycheck offer.

Sungjae liked the idea of seeing Pentagon from the inside.

On their winter holiday in their second year, they were both hired by the White House.

Their job was only to make a fool-proof, safe from hacking information system.

Sungjae warned them nothing was hacking free, so they had to renew the system annually. It didn't have to be him to renew it, because he already made the steps that could make other IT experts upgrade it without him having to be there.

After the mid-term on their fourth semester, they suddenly received an email from South Korean Ministry of Defense representative, asking to meet them.

The next day, as they were walking to the park and ate their Korean meal, four policemen approached them.

"Sungjae Yook and Sooyoung Park, you are under arrest under the allegation of espionage against the United States of America."

They were both really shock and bewil

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter