A Rich Girl Named Yewon

On the Count of Three

“Okay then, let’s start from learning how the right posture to hold the bow. Show me how you hold your bow.”

Yewon took her bow and lifted it. ‘What a nice bow.’ Eunha thought.

“Like this?” she asked. It made Eunha back to her senses.

“Uumm…yeah you’re doing good but you need to straighten up your body a bit more. Also, your legs…”

The first lesson went quite okay for Eunha, she managed to teach Yewon the right posture for archery and surprisingly Yewon was not so difficult to teach. She thought that Yewon would not listen to her well, after hearing the reason Yewon’s father didn’t want to hire a real tutor for her. 

“Aah…you only teach me how to stand but my body’s aching.” Yewon said after the session was over. “Anyway, it’s not fun. I want to see someone hit that target. Can you demonstrate it to me? You’ve brought your bow and arrow anyway.”

“My bow is actually not suited outdoor archery with this distance.” Eunha said looking at the far target. She was thinking for a while. “But okay, I’ll try.”

 Eunha look at Yewon before taking her bow and arrow. She took a close look to the target and lifted the bow slowly while pulling the string. She fixed her aim with her left eye closed. She took a deep breath and then released her grip to the arrow. The arrow went so fast, breaking the wind straight to the target. It hit right the middle of the target.

’10 point’

“Woooo… you’re really great.” Said Yewon, clapping.

Eunha forget that she was in Yewon’s house for a moment. She was always immersed in a high focus of the target every time she shot an arrow. She looked at her watch.

“I should probably get going.” She said.

“Why so rush? Come and eat dinner with us.”

“Oh no thanks I…”

“At least have some drinks with me before you leave. You haven’t touched the snack that was provided for you.” Said Yewon pointing at the beverage and some snack on the table.

Eunha couldn’t refuse the offer. Yewon told her to put down her bow and arrow, someone will take care of it for her and will be ready at the front door when she wanted to leave. Both then headed to the kitchen with big glass window and door to another part of the yard. Yewon told Eunha to sit at the kitchen bar. She offered Eunha some drink, and come up with a bottle and two glasses after.

“So, how long have you been learning archery?” asked Yewon while pouring the drink for Eunha. Eunha was looking around the house when she did that.

“Oh, I started when I was very little. Almost the whole of my life has been for archery.” Eunha turned her head to face Yewon. “You don’t have brother or sister?” asked Eunha suddenly.

Yewon was not yet responding. She only looked at Eunha but Eunha understood that Yewon got confused by her sudden question as if she didn’t expect her to ask that.

“Ah… I just saw that picture hanging in there and there are only you and your father.” Eunha pointed a big picture at near the exit of the kitchen.

“Ah… no I have one big brother and sister but all of them are not here now. They live abroad. Only me and my father live here so that’s why.” She paused. “The picture with my whole family in it is not here but upstair.”

Eunha let out a long ah to respond to Yewon before asked another question.

“And why didn’t you go to college abroad. For someone like you, I’ll be expecting you to go to Harvard or Columbia. Or maybe Oxford?”

Yewon was looking at Eunha’s eyes one more time.

“Sure. Everyone must think like that. But what kind of person I am in your eyes?”

“I don’t know…rich?”

“Is that all?”

“I mean, you must be smart too…”

Yewon was thinking for a while then sipped her drink. Eunha also did the same.

“Do you think you want to be close to someone who’s rich and smart? They sound boring to me.”

“Of course!! Who wouldn’t? But honestly for me, you kind of intimidating. Like I don’t think I match your level.”

“Because of the money or intelligence?”

“Ummm…both? Like, one is already intimidating but the combination of the two of them makes you even more intimidating.”

“So I guess that’s why I don’t have a friend.”

Surprised by Yewon’s answer, Eunha felt a little guilty for being honest. She thought that there are times where she should keep the honesty away, but Eunha was a sincere person. Even though her words were never content harmful intention towards other, the truth was it hurts people sometimes. So she often regretted it.

Yewon smirked. Eyes fixed on her glass.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to…”

“We just met officially today and you already make an interesting statement.”

“I…”

“No no no, it’s okay. Don’t misunderstand me. That was not come from the bad place. What I meant is that you’re indeed an interesting person Ms. Jung Eunbi.” Said Yewon putting a smile.

As she finished her sentence, she looked straight at Eunha’s eyes. It was so deep and intense but also tender. For the archery athlete, she didn’t know if she had to be flattered or scared. Yet, that confusion didn’t stop her heart from beating abnormally. She moved her pupil and looked at her watch.

“I think I should go now.”

Yewon guided her to the door and waited Eunha to really be out of her sight before she came in and continued what she wanted to do.

On the other side while walking down the street carrying her bow on her right shoulder, Eunha couldn’t forget Yewon’s face and all the strange feeling she gave her just a few minutes before she left the house.

“Stop it, you need to calm and don’t think of anything right now.” She said to herself.

*phone ring*

It was from her bestfriend, Sinb.

“Halo?” answered Eunha.

“Where are you?”

“Let’s have a drink.”

“What?”

Sinb was so confused by Eunha’s sudden invitation to drink. She was not a drinker because she’s an athlete, so it’s not really good for her. She thought that something must have happened. At a situation like this, Sinb would leave anything behind to be with Eunha. She asked Eunha where would she prefer them to meet then went right away to her.

When Eunha reached the place, Sinb was already waiting for her as her original position was closer than Eunha. A bottle of Soju, 2 glasses and some foods to accompany the soju were already on the table. They sat in the corner of the room with not many people around.

“So, anything happened?” asked Sinb soon. “Where were you from? What’s with that bow?” she added realized that Eunha brought her bow that day.

“You don’t have any work today?”

“I finished.” She paused. “So, you haven’t answered my questions.”

“Do you perhaps know someone named Yewon in our Uni?”

“Yewon? You mean Kim Yewon?”

“I don’t know there’s how many Yewon or Kim Yewon but yes.”

“Why? You’re interested in her? or you had a trouble with her?”

Eunha was looking at Sinb.

“But both would be freaking difficult situations. You better not.”

“So, you know her?”

“Who don’t know the Rich Kim Yewon?” she paused. “Well, I guess it’s you. But yeah, she’s in the same major with me and really popular amongst both boys and girls.”

“Should I be afraid of her?”

“Hmm… it’s definitely depends on your situation. But for most of it I think she’s harmless. She’s kind to me. Even though we don’t talk that much. What? Why? Why are you suddenly asking about her?”

Eunha told her best friend about Ms. Yerin and how she ended up being Yewon’s tutor for archery. Also about her visit to Yewon’s house today even though not too detail, because she still wanted to figure things out by herself first before telling her best friend.

“No, way! You gotta be kidding me!”

Eunha shook her head.

“…you become Yewon’s teacher and come to her house and not telling me this beforehand? What kind of a friend are you?”

“Let's get this thing straight. I don’t even know it was her until I arrived. Second, even after I arrived, I still don’t know anything about her until you tell me that she was in the same major with you.”

“Okay fine. But I don’t know she’s interested in archery. This is a surprise. And why you? No offense, but she could hire even an international coach for that if she wanted.”

“Well, Ms. Yerin said it’s because her father wanted someone to also act as her friend.”

“I see.”

“But tell me more about her.”

Sinb told her all that she knows about Yewon from being her classmate. She said that Yewon mostly didn’t talk that much. Only talk when approached, but always got straight A in every class. She was the talk of the major. Professors liked her, some men in the class tried to get close to her, but she turned everyone down, even though there were some people who claimed that they dated Yewon but there was always no solid proof and everyone knew that they were just faking it to be cool. Even so, some people also hate her. The reason was also quite obvious. Jealousy. But Yewon seemed to never get bothered by any of it.

There were some rumors going around about her that Sinb never knew where did that come from. She never cared to believe any of it. Someone said Yewon was actually adopted when she was 9 and originally comes from a very poor family that has no choice but to sell her to her current family, some other said that her father already arranged a marriage for her and that she will get married soon then move with her husband and that college is just a way for her to spend time while waiting before it happens.

“What the hell are those nonsense?” Eunha disbelieved.

“Well, don’t ask me, I just told you what I heard. I know it’s ridiculous but you know, that’s what happens when you’re rich and famous. Everybody just talks about you. And you know what else? Someone also said that she was actually a bully. And that she’s not as nice as her look.”

Eunha played her soju glass in her right hand. Rotate it left and right slightly while thinking about what she just heard from Sinb.

‘Is one of it true? Or it’s all nonsense?’ she asked herself. ‘What kind of person are you? I want to know.’