The girl from the house in the corner

On the Count of Three

Archery was Eunha’s life. She didn’t come from a wealthy family just average, but she loves archery since she was really little. Her parents were aware of this so they would spend their money on her obsession in archery. Thank God archery was not that extremely expensive sport, though it’s not so cheap either. They would take her to take an archery class, find a school with archery club in it. They found one but the school was not cheap at all. But it was all paid off. Eunha made it to the national archery team and go to both national and international competition even though she was not the best yet. Nevertheless, it was obvious that she still has a lot of time since she has just entered University this year and for someone her age, she already has a great achievement. She won the regional competition a few times, won the third place for the national competition and second place for the following year and her team got the third place on the Asian Games all for target archery.

The good thing for being good at sports is that you have full support from the government. She got a full scholarship and a place to live in Seoul. And it was not a dorm. It was a one bedroom apartment not really close to the campus but not that far either. The apartment was also not that big but it was enough for living alone. So, everything has been very satisfying for Eunha and her parents.

As she was projected herself to be an athlete, she took the sport's major. There were a lot of students taking the major 70% of them pursuing the career to be an athlete, and the rest have their own goals. Some wanted to be a sports teacher, some other want to works in the ministry of sport, and there are also some people (which always exist in every major) who took the major just because they don’t know what to choose and what they want to become. All the students who pursued to be an athlete usually very busy. After class, they would always have this practice session, so with Eunha. She would go to the hall which is reserved for the archery department every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday from 4PM to 7PM.

It was Friday, she was just finished attending class and prepared to go to the hall for practice when one of her professors called her.

“Can you go to my office for a minute?” asked Miss Yerin.

Eunha quickly followed Miss. Yerin. Eunha never made anything troublesome, she knew this. So, one thing for sure was Miss Yerin didn’t call her to scold her. She sat in the chair in front of Miss Yerin table right after they arrived in the professor room.

“Did I do something Miss?” asked Eunha even though she knew she was not in trouble.

“No, you don’t. We all know you’re a good student. It’s just...” she took a little paused. “Someone I know has been asking me about a possible candidate to teach her daughter archery.”

Eunha was listening carefully to what Miss Yerin said and took a conclusion.

“You’re asking me if I could teach your friend’s daughter archery?” asked Eunha to make sure that what she was thinking was right.

“More or less, yes. Could you do it?”

“I never teach anybody before, Miss.  And I feel like I, myself still need a lot to learn.”

“Well, you might not be the best in the country yet, but you sure are the best in this school, and I only know you for someone who is really good at it. So, I believe that you can do it.”

Eunha was thinking. Miss Yerin was right, in the school, she was indeed the best, no one beat her in archery, but if they want a tutor, they could find a proper one out there, someone with the teaching experience and license. Eunha said it to Miss Yerin.

“Yeah, but the problem is he doesn’t want a real tutor. He said her daughter might not really like it. He always tried to give her daughter tutors for various things before archery, but she always managed to make her teacher quit or told her father to fire them.” Miss Yerin stared right in Eunha’s eyes. “He wanted someone who can also be his daughter’s friend. She also goes to this University, the same year as you, but different major.”

Eunha didn’t answer. She was deep in her thought.

“Oh, and it’s not for a competition or something so it’s totally a laidback job and he can also pay you a big sum of money. And I know that it was not about the money, but it’s not a bad idea either, you can use it to buy some new equipment.”  Added Miss Yerin with her eyes stared at her old bow.

It was true that Eunha got a full scholarship and some pocket money from there apart from the tuition and lodging, but it was not a great sum amount of money if we would say. And Miss Yerin was right she did need to buy some equipment. Plus, there was this one compound bow she wanted to buy.

She can’t find any reason to refuse the offer so she finally took it even though she didn’t know whether she can do it or not and she already gave a warning to Miss Yerin that she might not be a good teacher. Miss Yerin only said it’s okay and said that she will contact her later.

She was sitting outside the hall drinking her isotonic water and wiped her sweat with a small towel that always in her bag when she opened her phone and received a message from Miss Yerin.

[He said everything is okay and you can start this Saturday. She will be waiting for you at her house at 3PM. Just do a one-and-a-half-hour tutor every weekend.]

Miss Yerin gave the address after that message.

Saturday’ Eunha thought ‘So, I need to start tomorrow.’ Eunha was not expecting that she will do the class every weekend, but she didn’t want to think a lot about it first. She thought if she needed some free times during the weekend, she can always change it later.

 

Saturday

Eunha woke up at 8 as she usually wakes up during weekend. After making herself breakfast she would use the time to clean up her apartment and doing some other house chores. In the afternoon if she wasn’t that tired, she would go to the park or mall or wherever to just spend time with herself. Or if her best friend also had a free time, they would go together somewhere which actually often happened on Sunday because her friend has a part-time job on Saturday.

This day was one of the days when she thought she would go to Hongdae or Garosugil while looking for anything that she could buy as a gift for her friend’s birthday next month. ‘Well, I guess I can go there tomorrow around lunch time.

Eunha never been to the address that Miss Yerin gave her, the neighborhood itself was still so unfamiliar for her, so she went from her apartment earlier. Soon as she arrived in the neighborhood. There were only big houses everywhere. Eunha was kind of know that the one she had to teach was a daughter of a rich family especially after Miss Yerin said the father can pay her in good amount money, so she was not surprised. She walked around a couple of times because she had a hard time reading the address and find the right house. When it seemed like she can’t find the house she remembered she saw a door in the corner of what it seemed to be a dead-end street. The door was in the middle of a big wall. She thought it was not a house at first, but she hadn’t checked.  So, she went to the house at the end of the street she passed before.

She looked at the number on the door and made sure that she was not in the wrong address once more by looking at her phone then pressed the doorbell. A woman probably around 50 years old talked through the answering machine asking who Eunha was and what was she doing there. Eunha wanted to answer but Miss Yerin didn’t tell her the daughter’s name nor the father, so she didn’t know who to address.

“I come to give an archery course.” She said at the end hoping that the woman understood what she was doing there for.

“Oh, you’re Miss Yewon’s teacher? Come in.” said the woman. ‘Ah so her name is Yewon.’ From her way of speaking the woman seemed to be one of the employees in the house.

The door was opened soon after she said to go in. Eunha needed to climb the staircase to reach the house. There were trees and garden lamps that would light up the staircase in the night beside Eunha as she was taking steps up. It was so beautiful. When she reached the top the woman who talked to her earlier, she assumed, already stood in front of the front door to greet her.

“You must be Miss Eunha.” Said the woman while smiling brightly at her. She thought that the woman would wear something like a uniform similar to the one she always saw on TV, but nope.

“Yes.”

“Miss Yewon is already in the backyard. Please, follow me.”

Then she led Eunha to the backyard through the house. The interior was so pretty. The owner really loves natural element in the house. There were a lot of wooden furniture and decorations. Photos and painting also everywhere. Looking at it Yewon was the only child of the family. They also have a lot of plants like bonsai inside the room. Eunha’s eyes were pleased by the interior of the house. She thought that she would have a similar looking house if she gets a lot of money in the future.

The woman opened the back door and revealed the backyard. The crazy thing about the place was, the house itself was already pretty big but it still has a wide backyard. She couldn’t help herself but have her eyes wandered around studying the place. She saw they already put a target in the far edge of the yard. They were a hundred percent ready for the course. She also saw a girl sitting on a chair with her back towards Eunha.

“Miss Yewon, your archery teacher is here.” Said the woman.

The girl name Yewon turned around and looked at Eunha. Eunha was mesmerized by her look. She had her hair tied and wore glasses. She looked so elegant even from the way she moved.  Eunha could see that the girl already wore a leather tab on her finger and an armguard. ‘Wow, she really is prepared.’ Eunha thought.

The girl stood up and faced Eunha completely.

“My name is Yewon. Nice to meet you.” She said while reaching her hand to Eunha. By that time, the woman walked back inside the house leaving Eunha and Yewon alone.

“Hi, I’m Eunha. Nice to meet you too.” Eunha reciprocating Yewon’s offer to do a handshake.

“So, where do we start?” asked Yewon.

“Well, actually I was surprised you are this ready” said Eunha while pointing at all the archery equipment there. “Have you ever done archery before?”

“Nope. This will be my first time and my father prepared everything, like always.” Yewon looked away. She said it in a plain tone but there was something in the last sentence that felt different for Eunha, but she would not question it. She got closer to Yewon and put down her bow and arrow.

“And this is would be my first time teaching someone, so I don’t know if I can do it well or not.”

“Don’t worry. I don’t do this to become an athlete, knowing the basic should be enough.” Answered Yewon.

“Okay then, let’s start from learning the right posture to hold the bow."