Hangover

Screamin' Beans

Pounding head. A half- girl lays drowsily on the couch. Feeling the cold morning air hit against her bare skin, she slaps the out of her surroundings, looking for something to cover herself with. Slapping the space before accidentally slapping herself (like a looooser), she groans loudly, “Ughhh…” From her position, she stills in peaceful silence, trying to ascertain what the she should do next.

All of a sudden, the closed curtains are pulled apart, letting in all the cursed light into the room. The peaceful serenity is immediately cut at the action. The ball on the couch proceeds to curl up into a fetus position. At least she found a shirt.

A single eye pops open to look at the morning invader. She found herself looking at the bright star called the sun and instantly squeezes her eyes shut. “Unnnniiiiieeee…turn off the sun!”

On the window sill sits and older, cleanly-dressed girl. “Good morning to you as well Slug.”

Squinting at the elder who looks like a demon despite the halo of light surrounding her, “Not so great morning with ty headache. …”

Irene laughs softly as she stands from her makeshift seat. “Get up, I made you some hangover tea.”

A heavy sigh flows from the girl on the couch. She fumbles, lazily throwing on the extra-large shirt onto her body in her tired haze. Too lazy to get up from her sleeping space, Seulgi rolls off the couch and tries not to hit the white coffee table on the way down.

BANG!

“Ow, !”

She clearly wasn't successful, seeing as a loud sound resonates from the floor of the living room.

Pulling herself to her feet, Seulgi drags her body to get to the kitchen. She uses nearby furniture to lug herself over to the kitchen.

Seeing the dead girl walking to her seat, Irene slides over a cup and a jar. The cup looks filled with a mysterious concoction while the jar is filled almost to the brim with money. “Here’s your drink, careful, it’s hot. And four dollars in the swear jar if you will.” Grumbling that she’ll get it later, she takes a sip.

, it’s hot!”

“Make it five dollars. Why, aren't you on a roll?”

Tentatively with a scowl prominent, the younger swallows the bitter drink.

“Hey Seulgi, an idea.”

Seulgi tiredly looks at her roommate, scared that if she opened , she would spew out more curses. She needs her money. She’s a broke artist after all. “You should get another job or something. There are ads everywhere for painters and designers! You know, to get your mind off her. For at least a little while anyway, to help you get over her.”

The younger tenses, the architect inside of her already beginning to build walls. “I’ll get over her in my own time. Just... I’ll be fine, I lived when she wasn’t in my life and I…” she inhaled shakily before continuing, “...I can do that again.”

Sighing deeply, Irene gets up from her seat and eats the rest of her now cold breakfast. “I’ll be going to class now. It’s not…” She pushes in her chair, creating a small scraping sound, the sound resonating within the room. With a concerned gaze, she looks at the younger, trying to find the right words to say.

“It’s not healthy to keep on drinking every other night, especially when you’re just a student.”

Only after she picks up her bag, Seulgi notices she’s dressed for the day. A tad bit worried, Seulgi asks, “Wait for unnie, what time is it?”

Looking straight into the red eyes of the younger, “It’s 10:34. You already missed your first class.” Like a fool, Seulgi bangs her already throbbing head against the table.

A soft giggle comes from the girl right outside the door. “Try not to miss anymore. See you later.” The door is brought to a close as Seulgi finishes the rest of her hell drink. Chugging that down, she stands to go to her room to change and get ready for the day ahead.

___

“Hey look who’s back from the dead!” Waving, a tomboy figure gestures to her tired friend at the foot of the dorm’s stairs.

“Morning to you too Amber.” Together, the two start making their way to their afternoon class. Passing above the duo, a kaleidoscope of butterflies fly by. Seulgi watches them disappear into the horizon before bringing her attention back to her friend.

“Krystal said you weren’t in Color Correction class today, you gucci? Also nice shirt by the way.”

It was just a graphic tee with a minus sign. Perplexed at the compliment, Seulgi scrunches her eyebrows in confusion. But in the end, just shrugs it off, giving a small nod in appreciation. “Yeah, I’m all good, let’s get to class.”

A triplet of loud claps comes from Amber with unearthly morning enthusiasm. With a smile on her face, “Allllright! Onward, to class!” Beamish at her friend’s attempt, “Forth my friend.”

As the conversation trails off, the two of them enter the lecture hall just as the class begins. “Humans settle down, we’re about to begin.” The professor announces as Seulgi and Amber rush to sit next to a friend towards the back of the class.

“Thanks for saving us seats Krystal,” Their early friend moves her head slightly in acknowledgment before focusing back to the lecturer.

Pulling out her stationary and laptop to take notes, Amber notices the sketches in Seulgi’s notebook. The motif of the sketches seems to center around one person in particular.

The one that crowds her friend’s thoughts too often. The one that’s breaking her in ways other’s can’t imagine. Amber wants to throw many hands at that . But in the end, that’s Seulgi’s job. To move on.

But to hell if she wasn't going to help and expedite the process. Mentally praying, Lesbian Jesus, please send a cute angel to help find this lost soul a girlf.