The Calm

The Fabulous SpiderGirl
[CHAEWON'S POV]
 
I was just here to help Minju catch up on her studies, as she missed her Foreign Language classes and her Creative Writing classes due to her trainings for the last pageant, in which in no doubt she won. I looked at her as she focused on the foreign language readings that Madame Fournier gave her. How her expressions changed everytime she misunderstands or mispronounces a word, how she furrows her eyebrows, it's cute. I didn't notice how time passed during our little mentoring session that our orders have already arrived.
 
"Table 15? One Caramel Macchiato, One Vanilla Frappe, and two strawberry cheesecake slices"
 
I nodded as the crew member placed our order one by one on our table. I took full attention to our orders when I noticed that the voice of the crew who served us was somewhat familiar. I looked to the crew to thank her but when our eyes met, all there was was utter shock. I didn't know that she would be working here. Why would she even be here. I was about to say something when Minju suddenly spoke. She must have noticed how quiet I've become.
 
"Chae can you help me with... Oh! Hyewon! Surprised to see you here!"
 
"Y-yeah"
 
"Judging by what you're wearing, you work here?"
 
"Don't worry, your secret is safe with us" I decided to join in, noticing that Hyewon was nervous and shy as she was talking to us. This Hyewon is very different, unlike the sassy and very mischievous Hyewon I know in school. The one who would always pull tricks on me. Yet here she is now, acting shy and all in her Beehive crew outfit.
 
"It's uh... family matters, anyways..." She was suddenly cut off by a voice from the counter.
 
"Hyewonnie, come here, there are more orders to be served"
 
"Coming auntie" Hyewon said as she went on to the counter. Minju and I just looked at each other with a confused look on our faces. Did she just call the woman behind the counter her auntie? Well, I'm sure I headr it quite well, like loud and clear. Does that mean she works here regularly or just in the weekends? Whatever that may be, I'm just gonna wish her well, I guess. I put my whole attention back to Minju as she tried to practice her pronunciation and diction of the words. She's slowly getting better compared to how she was doing when she first called me to check her pronunciation. She's getting better at remembering the meaning of some words and phrases too.
 
"Again, Min. Last set of drills before we move on to the next subject."
 
"Can we just skip the drill for now? My tongue is getting all tied up in a knot"
 
"No, we can't. You promised Madamme Fournier that you'd be able to catch up with the lessons"
 
"I did, and now I can speak!"
 
"But, do you even know what you're saying?"
 
I looked at her with a sigh as she nodded. Yes she may be good at speaking the language, but that's how far she goes. She just looked at me with her little puppy eyes, as if pleading to me to skip the drill. But I wouldn't give in to those eyes. Those cute eyes, her pouty lips, those fluffy cheeks I just wanna squish, okay, you know what, I'll just lessen the items.
 
"Min, last time I asked you 'Est-ce que tu parles français?' and you straight up answered me with 'Je ne parle pas croissant'"
 
"So? It seems close" She retaliated. I just heaved another sigh and looked at my cards, with some phrases for her to translate. I snapped my fingers at her so I could get her attention. She was too busy with her Vanilla frappe. Sometime I think I might've wished I was a straw but anyways, to get back to the topic.
 
"Min, translate, la grenoiulle"
 
"Okay wait..."
 
"3.. 2.."
 
"Frog!"
 
"Good! Next word, lapin"
 
"Easy, bunny"
 
"Then, what's the French word for pretty?"
 
"Uhmmm, it's jolie, right? And it's joli without the e for masculine"
 
"Great! Seems like you know the basic stuff already. Before we finish this, do you have any more questions?" I asked her. She nodded and wrote on a piece of paper. I don't get what she's writing about but why am I getting nervous about it. When she passed it to me, I just gave a knowing smile and kept it. I mouthed a quiet "Later" and then kept away all the Foreign Language related items we have on the table.
 
"Let's have a minute break, shall we?" I suggested. Minju nodded at this and excused herself as she went to the bathroom to freshen up. I let her be and just looked at the notes I will need for the next subject she needs help in, Creative Writing. Okay Chae, calm down. What could that note mean? Well, I'll just tell her later then. That should be the least of my problems now. I have to get this flash card out of my hand first. It's practically stuck on me. I can sense people looking at me but I just pay no mind to them. Did I bring glue today? Why would I even bring glue? Who would need glue in a study? And why are my thoughts being so loud again? Deep breathes, Chae. Deep breathes. AHA! With a strong pull on the card, I managed to get it out of my hand, but I might've have pulled to hard and almost hit someone with my arm.
 
"Hey, watch it!"
 
"Ah, sorry" I apologized and went back to the flash card, which is now stuck to my other hand. Why does things get stuck on me easily.
 
"Hey Chaewon, I'm back... and uh, are you ok?"
 
I looked up to the owner of the voice and just nodded. She might've noticed the card on my hand. Okay. Relax, relax. Pull it off. With a deep breath and a calm demeanor, I pulled the card out of my other hand and hid it my bag. Success. Minju went back to her seat and took out her notes.
 
"Can I see what you've worked on for Creative Writing?"
 
"Ah... about that..."
 
"You haven't done any, haven't you?"
 
"I did try, but I think it was just trash"
 
"It won't." I assured her. "Let's have it this way, I'll make you a prose, and you try to rewrite as poetry, okay?"
 
"Okay"
 
She nodded and I just smiled. I looked at her as she waited for the prose. I can't help but look at the features of her face. Those brown eyes which seemed to glitter everytime she happy. Or how her nose scrunches when she doesn't understand something. Her skin, so fair and white, Snow White might be shaking right now. I smiled again at the thoughts.
 
"Her skin is white. Try to change that into something poetic"
 
"Let me think of something... Oh! Her skin so white, as smooth as milk. How's that?"
 
"Good. Okay, another. She has beautiful brown eyes."
 
"Hmmmm... Beautiful chestnut-like eyes, staring at me as warm as a sunny day"
 
I was taken aback. I have to admit that one line was cute, perhaps it made my heart flutter? I shook off the thoughts and chuckled.
 
"That was good, I admit. Now, this time, why not think of an inspiration, and let it fill your mind. Whatever you're writing about, let the image consume you and write everything about it."
 
She nodded and went to writing, meanwhile, I felt my phone vibrate. Can I not get a call while I'm in something important? I excused myself first and answered the call.
 
"Yes, Wonny?"
 
"Unnie! Are you busy?"
 
"Kinda, but I can manage" I took a glance at Minju who was busy writing, and went back to the call. "What's wrong?"
 
"I just wanna let you know that I'll be out for a while. My school has a photoshoot for our yearbook. No one's at the house right now. Auntie Eun and Uncle Joo went out for groceries"
 
"Alright alright. If ever you finish first, let Uncle Joo pick you up." I frankly said and ended the call. I walked back to Minju and as I sat back down to drink my macchiato, she showed me her work with a smile on her face. She's very proud of what she made.
 
This is written for the one and only you
I'll do my best to keep it true
Just stay strong and always remember
I will always be here, forever
Whenever your smiles are stolen away
I'll do my best to best to blow your frowns away
You can always count on me to stay
When the world shuts you out
 
As I read the poem, I couldn't help but feel touched at the words. Who knew she could do something as amazing as this. I felt how sincere her words were just by reading what she made.
 
"I'm actually speechless, and impressed" I said as I handed her back her paper.
 
"Really?"
 
"Totally. It's actually amazing. The way the words connected to the reader, aka me, was good. I felt how sincere it was." Again I remarked as I finished the cake I was eating and sipped on my macchiato. She looked like a kid bragging to me when she took her paper, showing me her poem.
 
"You don't have a title for it yet, though?"
 
"You're right" She said. "Any ideas?"
 
"How about Dedication? I mean, look at your first line, it's like it's dedicated for someone"
 
"You mean, for you?"
 
I blinked at her as she said her title idea. It nade my heart flutter, I'm not gonna lie about that. She suddenly broke her silence when she took the idea back.
 
"I-I mean, For You is also a good title. Dedication is just, k-kinda lame, I guess?"
 
"Good point there haha..."
 


 

[MINJU'S POV]
 
I didn't know having a tutor could be this fun. Well, kind of a tutoring session.
 
After our little teaching session, we were just sitting at our table, nothing to do and just using our phones. So what do we do now? There's nothing much to talk about since we practically finished the subjects I need help in, and the other assignments can be easily done at home. She just sitting, macchiato in hand and her phone on the other, watching some random videos. Meanwhile, I was checking my SNS accounts when Yujin suddenly sent a barrage of texts.

big pup

Froggie unnie, oh my sweet froggie unnie
 
Ms. Kim Gorgeous, how lovely
 
Kim Minju daughter of Aphrodite
 
Ribbitribbitribbit unnie hello ribbit
 
Oh by the way, how's your date? hehe
 
What do you want? And where are you?
 
I'm at a photoshoot for our yearbook
You know, varsity stuff
 
And there's this cute girl here, she's like
the model of the campus
 
And? You just want me to know?
 
Yes, and I just wanna ask what do you think
is better to give her. Roses or Sunflowers?
 
Why not both?
 
Both. Thanks!

 

I just heaved a sigh and hid my phone. That Yujin, couldn't really do anything without me. I couldn't blame her, though. Ever since she was a kid, her parents have always been so busy with their work that they barely have time to bond with her. They spoil her with riches, yes, but it doesn't really satisfy her. Around that time, I was at the playground, I saw her by the swing, playing all alone. Of course, we became the close of friends, and little did I know that our parents were friends. That's why we were able to be so close with one another. She always treated me as a big sister, and I would see her as a little sibling I have to take care of and look after.
 
"Chae?" I called out to her. I really want to thank her for what she did today. "Do you have anything else to do today?"
 
"Not that I know of, nothing. Why?"
 
"Wanna come with me to the mall, do some shopping?"
 
"I'm not really a fan of shopping, but sure" she said with a smile on her face as she finished her drink.
 
We walked out of the cafe and walked to the mall, since it wasn't just far from the Beehive Cafe. As we walked, we shared stories with one another, it's like getting to know each other better. That's where I learned that both her biological parents were already gone, and she's living under her aunt and uncle's care. She also has a half-sister named Wonyoung. When Chaewon mentioned the name of the school Wonyoung goes in, I remembered Yujin since she goes there too. Maybe I'll ask Yujin about it later.
 
"So, where do we go first?" Chaewon asked as we stepped in inside, looking at the different boutiques.
 
"What do you want to check out first?"
 
"Besides you," she calmly spoke, holding my hand and intertwining it with hers. "Lead the way, I'm not good at this kind of things"
 
I tried to supress a squeal as she held my hand. Now is not the time to panic, Minju. We're here to have a good time, and spend some time with Chaewon. I took her to different boutiques and stalls. We checked out different brands of clothes and tried them on.
 
"How do I look in this one?" I asked her as I tried on a simple white shirt with little glittery accessories.
 
"Breathtaking"
 
"Sure?"
 
"Yep, I am. It looks really good on you"
 
"Okay, I'm getting two"
 
"Why two?"
 
"The other one is for you, duh. I told you I wanna give back something for helping me with my subjects." I said and went back to the fitting room. I paid for the shirts and gave her the other one. As soon as we got out, she held the shopping bag on her hand and her other hand on mine.
 
"Where do you wanna go next? Up for another stall?"
 
"We've been to countless stalls already"
 
"Okay, so where do you want to go?"
 
"Baskin Robbins. I wanna get some- Ah sorry"
 
Chaewon was cut off from her words when she suddenly bumped into a man wearing a black leather jacket. The man just looked at Chaewon and nodded at her then went on his way. That was kind of weird, but Chaewon can't help but stare at the man. I felt her hand grip on to mine. She has hell of a grip, but still, her hands felt soft.
 
"Something wrong?" I asked.
 
"Oh, it's nothing. Anyways, let's go get ice cream, Min"
 
It's like her perceing eyes suddenly softened as she looked at me. She's been begging for ice cream, and it is ice cream she'll get. So, after walking for a few more minutes, we already made ourselves to Baskin Robbins. I let her order, and she came back with a chocolate and mint choco flavored ice cream.
 
"You like Mint Chocolate?"
 
"It's my favorite!"
 
"I- I can't"
 
"We all have tastes"
 
We took off from the shop and went on our way out of the mall. She was happily eating her ice cream, and I was here thinking what do I do now? We're done shopping and all that. Chaewon is still savouring the taste of her ice cream. How can people stand Mint Choco? Just a question. Chaewon then looked at the sky.
 
"Ah, it's about time"
 
Time? Time for what? She stood up and threw the used ice cream cup by the trash and took my hand.
 
"W-where are we going?"
 
"Just follow me"
 
I let her lead this time to God knows where we're going. This walk was silent, she was just focused on walking, yet her hand was held tightly on mine. Not long after, we reached the bay area.
 
"Look" she only said and pointed to the sky. I was taken aback by the wonderful sight of the sun setting over the sea. The sky in a beautiful orange setting, and the sea reflecting the color of the sea like a wonder.
 
"Min" she called for me, her voice a bit shaking. "Remember that paper you gave me at the cafe earlier? I think you know what that means. You're getting good at French, I know. Let this be my response from what you wrote..."
 
I just looked at her as she took both of my hands. I could feel my face getting all red from this sudden turn of events. What I wrote in their was something very special, something I really wanted to say to her ever since. But yet, I am getting too flustered from what she's doing. This woman, really, but I like it. Do I like it? No, I love it. I let her continue her little speech as she held on to my hands, looking at me.
 
"...Je t'aime aussi, má chérie"
 
I smiled widely as I heard the words. I may know limited French, but I've always known those words due to the movies I've watched.
 
"Ever since, I've wanted to tell you that I like you, but my shyness always got ahead of me. I've always wanted to tell you that I like you, yet I've always been such a scaredy cat to make a move of my own that someone always tries to get you first. I've always wanted to tell you that I like you, no, that now I love you. I always freeze whenever you're near, and now, now that the opportunity presented itself, I couldn't let this chance slip away now. Kim Minju..."
 
"Y-Yes?" I answered, stuttering. I was also smiling ear to ear while I was listening. Is this it?
 
"...let me prove myself this time. That I am worthy of you, of your love. Just give me a chance"
 
"No" I shook my head and held one of her hands, covering with both of mine. "You don't have to, you've already proved yourself to me, way before you even asked for it"
 
"So, will-"
 
"Yes, Kim Chaewon. I will. I will be your girlfriend" I answered, a full smile on my face.
 
She pulled me in close for a very tight hug. Even if it was tight, it wasn't suffocating, it was warm. She was warm. She was like the fireplace at home in a chilly winter night, bringing warmth to me. In her arms, I felt so secure. I could feel a pair of lips on my forehead, and I snuggled into her embrace even more.
 
"Thank you" I heard her whisper as I snuggled into her.
 


[CHAEWON'S POV]

 
I couldn't believe it. Kim Minju is now mine. My girlfriend.
 
It's a very great feeling, and the moment I kissed her forehead I knew, I was going to protect this girl no matter what. Whatever it takes, I'll be there for her. I'll always keep her close to me. I'll make sure that no one ever makes her cry, and I'll make sure that the smile on her face never fades. I'll give her the respect that she deserves, if a real man can't treat her right, then I'll step up to show her that someone like her deserves every ounce of respect in this world. I'll give her a seat on the subway, I'll let her enter first, open car doors for her, the simple stuff. She deserves everything.
 
"Chae?" She called out, her face looking up at me.
 
"Hm?"
 
"Nothing. I just thought, how could I be so lucky despite the number of women in this world."
 
"And yet, you're the lucky one. Don't worry, I'll be here for you, always"
 
I gave her a reassuring smile and kept her close to me, my arm around her waist as she had her arms around my neck. I gave her another kiss on her forehead when suddenly I heard my phone ring from my pocket. It was Wonny. Why do I feel something... weird. My senses are telling me that something terrible happened. Something bad. I just hope my senses are wrong.
 
"Yes, Wonny?"
 
"Unnie... Uncle and Auntie..."
 
Wonyoung's voiced cracked.
 
.


A/N: Yes hello I have returned from

the depths of somewhere to deliver

this fluff that you all deserve to have.

Thank you for those who patiently

waited and give this fic a chance.

YOU DA REAL MVP!