Change is Coming

The Fabulous SpiderGirl
[CHAEWON’S POV]
 
We’re gonna ri-ri-ri-rise
We’re gonna ri-ri-ri-rise
We’re gonna ri-ri-ri-rise 
We’re gonna ri-ri-ri-rise ‘til we fall
 
I woke up to the loud sound of my alarm, or ringtone. I usually use my ringtone for calls as my alarm in the morning. It helps me to immediately wake up, as my brain processes it as something important, so I have to attend to it immediately. I look at the screen and notice that it’s already 7:45 in the morning. I also received a few messages from Minju, asking about our meet-up later. I closed my phone for a moment and laid on my bed. All I remember from last night was I had a major headache and even skipped Auntie Eun’s meatloaf night.
 
Ah right. I was bitten by a radioactive spider yesterday and I’m lucky that I’m still alive. What if I died on the spot? What would they feel? Or maybe what if–
 
Why are my thoughts so loud, and what am I even thinking? I should be happy that I’m still alive, but I wonder, if that was a radioactive spider, shouldn’t I be in a critical condition now? Isn’t that spider supposed to be dangerous? I took my phone once again and replied to Min’s messages.
 

Minmin
Hey Chaewon, good morning!
 
See you later at Beehive at 9!
 
-Minju
 
Hey Minju. Sorry I just woke up hahaha
 
Can you send me the subjects you need help on?
 
I’ll just take a shower and be on my way
 

As soon as I sent the messages, I head to the washroom and took a bath. I still can’t imagine but here I am, taking a bath to hangout with Minju. Just the two of us. As soon as I headed out of the washroom, I reevaluated myself in front of the mirror. I don’t know but is it just me or did I get a bit taller? My jeans used to be a bit longer than what they used to. I guess I did get a bit fitter too. A bit ier, perhaps? That I don’t know. I trailed down my body and looked at my abdominal area. Are those little abs I see? Wow. I never knew I had them. I got fitter overnight. Did I work-out while sleeping? Did I start lifting Uncle Joo’s weights while he was asleep? Maybe I just didn’t notice my body getting fitter and better each day. I just get dressed and headed out of my room, and was greeted by Auntie Eun and Wonyo.
 
“Unnie! You’re up! Come on, Mom cooked her leftover meatloaf from last night” Wonyo said as she invited me to the table. I couldn’t resist as I felt guilty for sleeping on them last night. I was also greeted by Auntie Eun, who have noticed some changes in my appearance as well.
 
“Hey sweetie. Wow, you look dashing today?”
 
“Do I?”
 
“Yep!” Wonyoung chimed in. “Did you put a bit more make up on your face?”
 
“No, I didn’t. I just did my usual natural look and a bit of lipstick. Why’d you ask?”
 
“Well,” Auntie started. “You look more vibrant today. That’s not the word now, is it? You’re looking a bit more blooming. That’s it! You look blooming today, like a flower in spring. Not to mention that your hair looks a bit more vibrant too! It’s healthier than before. Did you do some extra treatment for it?”
 
“I- uhm, no. I didn’t…” I awkwardly answered. I don’t know what’s happening to me or what, but I’ll take this in as a blessing. “Anyways, I’ll be going out today.” I said as I took several pieces of meatloaf and sandwiched it on loaves of bread. I never knew I was this hungry, set aside the fact that I skipped dinner last night. I guess that’s a good explanation for it.
 
“Where are you going? I don’t remember you having weekend classes?” Auntie Eun shouted as I was about to head out.
 
“Just gonna meet a friend!”
 
“Alright! Take care!”
 
“Yes Auntie! Can you ask Uncle Joo to pick me up later? I’ll text him too”
 
“Okay sweetie”
 
As I got out of the house, the last pieces of sound I heard was Wonyoung crying to Auntie Eun about me almost taking all of the meatloaf. Honestly, Wonyoung can be really annoying sometimes but I can’t blame her, she’s just a kid after all. We love her the same anyways. I hurried down to the bus stop to catch a bus to Beehive. It’s just a few stops but I wanna be there as soon as I can. As I arrived, the bus was already preparing to leave, so I ran as fast as I could. Too bad because I missed the bus. I checked my phone again and saw more messages from Minju. It’s already 8:20 a.m. and I need to get to Beehive fast.

Minmin
 
I badly need help on Foreign Language, Madame Fournier
already told me how many sessions I missed and I want
to make it up to her.
 
I also need help in Creative Writing. Mr. Lim said I need
to pass drafts by next week because he’ll need to check
my work alongside our section.
 
Hi Chaewon! Are you almost there? I’m already at the
bus. See you later!
 
Chaewon, did you know that the mitochondria is the
powerhouse of the cell? Of course you already know
that.

I re-read Minju’s texts and I couldn’t help but let out a chuckle at the last text. She’s just probably bored and my phone was inside my pocket the whole time, so I didn’t get to reply to her texts. I just sent out a quick reply and connected my earphones as I hopped on the bus, playing some songs to ease my mind about everything that’s been happening to me lately.
 


[MINJU’S POV]
 
“Aish, really unnie!? Seriously? The mitochondria? You have to do better than that. Even I know what that is.”
 
“Yujin, you and I both know what our brains are only capable of”
 
“So? That doesn’t stop you from showing off to her. You have this date today, right? You can do it! And besides, we also both know that you’re smart. You just don’t want to admit it”
 
“I got this, okay? I’ll see you later and it's not a date, please.”
 
I heaved a sigh and ended the call. Yujin really has so much energy in her, I don’t know how she does it. Yujin and I are really close friends, since we live in the same neighborhood, though I’m older than her. Our families are close, and sometimes the Ahn’s would choose me to look over Yujin. She has been so energetic throughout her life, and I was so happy when she told me that she made it in her school’s varsity team. I scrolled through my contacts and looked for someone else to bother. I’m pretty sure that everyone is kind of busy with the loads of assignments that we have. I decided to call Yuri if we have any schedule for tonight. Yuri and I work part-time at the same restaurant, although I think no one knows that, except Yuri. Maybe Yena too. After a few seconds, I heard a voice on the other line.
 
“Hello?”
 
“Hi Yuri! It’s me, Minmin.”
 
“Oh, hi Min! What’s up?”
 
“I just called to ask if we have a scheduled performance tonight at the resto. Haven’t been there for a while”
 
“Ah! Don’t worry! Manager told me that we don’t have a schedule for the next few days, so we’re free by then. But if you do want to perform, we can always perform as a special guest”
 
“Alright, alright!” I said with enthusiasm. I do miss playing the guitar alongside Yuri singing. Her voice is so soothing and it just clicks so much with the sound of the instrument. I looked at the door as the bell chimed, signaling someone entering the café. I immediately recognized Chaewon for her reddish hair, though I must say her hair looks a bit more alive today. “Hey Yuri, I’ll call you back. I have some things to do. Bye!”
 
I waved my hand at Chaewon so she can see where I am. "Is it just me, or does she look a bit more beautiful today?" I had in thought as she slowly made her way to where I am. She took a sit across me and slumped her bag next to her.
 
"Sorry I took so long" She said to me with an apologetic smile. "I kinda woke up late and traffic got the best of me"
 
"It's okay. By the way, what are we starting with first?"
 
"How about Foreign Language? That's a bit easy, because we might take our time in Creative Writing"
 
I just nodded and took out the handouts that Madame Fournier gave me. I tried re-reading the handouts but it was too difficult for me, how do you even pronounce all of these? At first I was excited because this was French. Almost everyone wants to learn French. When they said French is the language of love, I agree. Love is complicated and so is the language it comes with. Chaewon stood and volunteered to fetch our orders and as she left, I took out my materials and my make-up as well to retouch. I took my time looking at the small mirror, pre-occupied with my thought.
 
"She wasn't like this yesterday, that's for sure. I did notice changes like first..." I looked at the woman standing in front of the cashier. "...her hair seems a bit more healthy. It's glowing, not really glowing like glow in the dark but it's radiant. Her skin seems whiter too? Though she's already as white as a radish, it just became healthier. Her height too... She didn't seem too tall when we talked yesterday, but she's gotten taller. Is she on heels? Insoles? Nobody knows"
 
I snapped from my thoughts when I heard someone clear their throat from beside me. Ah, it's just her. I chuckled and kept my make-up kit back to my bag.
 
"They'll bring our order in a while. In the meantime, shall we get started?" She asked, her seriousness showing, yet there was a smile on her face.
 
"Yes"
 


Author's Note:

Yes, hello! I have returned and will start to update more

often! The next chapter will be really fluffy so I guess

you better get ready? Jk. I dunno hahaha. With the emergence

of Chaewon's changes, I wonder what happens next? Where can

I get me a radioactive spider? XD