Who Am I?

The Fabulous SpiderGirl

[CHAEWON'S POV]

 

They say things happen for a reason. It could either be a gift or a curse to us, but we’ll never really know. It comes unexpectedly, and it comes when you least expect it. They say that when things happen, it’s because they have a purpose. Well, when a I tripped on something a while ago, I knew that has a purpose too, and that’s to make me look like a stupid dork in front of everyone.

 

“Hey Chaewon! What are you doing kissing the floor?” I heard a voice refer to me, followed by laughter from the people standing around. I know that voice. Even if I don’t look up, I know it’s her. Kang Hyewon. One of the few misfortunes I have to deal with. Keep calm, Chaewon. I said to myself as I slowly got up from the floor and turned to face her.

 

“Look,” I started calmly. “I don’t have any time for your silly games so would you mind shooing away from my face? I’m kinda busy–“ I didn’t get to finish my sentence when she suddenly pulled me by my collar. Aggressive much? I thought to myself.

 

“So you’re the funny girl now huh? You got guts” she said and raised her hand. I braced myself for a slap with the pain probably lasting a week or two. Luckily for me, the school bell rang, signaling the end of the break and the start of the next period of classes. “Tch. Lucky” I heard her mumble as she let go of me. I knew I should’ve kept my mouth shut.

 

I walked to my next class, which was Philosophical Analysis, much to my dismay. It wouldn’t be so hard right? After all, we’re nearing the end of the school year and to our much awaited graduation. The moment I stepped into the room, it was the usual scenario. Everyone chitchatting about their lives, plans after graduation, future jobs, but I have a different plan, and that plan is right there. Kim Minju. The most beautiful woman in this campus. A literal angel sent from the heavens. The university’s resident actress and beauty queen. Did I stutter when I said beauty queen? I didn’t. She previously won different pageants all over Seoul and still continues her studies. Talk about beauty and brains. Meanwhile, I’m just boring ol’ Chaewon. Have you ever seen anything… as beautiful as Kim Minju? No. Everything just gets brighter when she smiles. I can even feel the world going in slow motion when she passes by. That clearly defies the laws of Physics but with her, she could defy anything.

 

“Stare too long, she might actually melt” I heard another girl’s voice, followed by a small giggle. Choi Yena, the human duck. She’s been my best friend ever since I went here, and we’re also roommates. I call her a human duck with that lips of hers. I swear she can impersonate a duck without even doing anything. A natural crackhead herself, and even if she’s annoying, I’m glad she became my friend. I thought I’d be Miss Forever Alone and Picked On for the rest of my days.

 

“Yena,” I started. “You think Minju and I have a chance?”

 

“Chaewon, I know I’m your friend and all, I think it’s my obligation to support you but for Pete’s sake how many times have you asked me this?” She retaliated. I swear her lips, or beak, I don’t know how to address it, became sharper when she looked at me. We just went to our seats and waited for Mr. Park to arrive. “So, you have plans on telling her? Because if you don’t then I will” Yena whispered.

 

“Wait what–“ I choked. I don’t have any plans to do that yet, but I might probably confess in the next few days. By Prom night. I remember how she rejected a guy from the other class who was courting her. I passed along the same guy and I swear it felt like he couldn’t show his face to anyone. “I will tell her, okay? It’s just… not now” I said, faceplanting myself on my table. When will I own up to my own feelings?

 

I soon as I heard the class shuffle about their seats, I knew Mr. Park had arrived. And as usual, class proceeded like how it should. Slow, hot, and boring. I know I’m smart, but hey I can get bored sometimes too. I didn’t care to listen to some Jean Jacques Reasseu that Mr. Park was pulling off at us. I was just squiggling random lines on my notes. I started making sketches of random superheroes. Meanwhile, Yena was here drawing some more ducks on a paper and making a story about it. End my suffering, please. I softly groaned and faceplanted myself on the table once again. I didn’t understand a word that came out of Mr  Park’s mouth anymore, I was just determined to finish the day. I took a glance at Minju and there she is, being the role model that she is, taking down notes and attentively listening. Such an angel. A blessing to the world and I think she felt my stares as she looked back at me. I tried my luck and did a small wave at her, to which she responded with a sweet smile.

 

IS THIS TRUE!? KIM MINJU!? JUST SMILED!? AT ME!? ME!? PINCH ME I MUST ME DREAMING!!

 

I nudged Yena and disturbed her for a moment. “Hey Yena, can you pinch my arm?”

 

“Are you seriously sleepy? In Mr. Park’s class?” 

 

“Just do it. I must be dreaming”

 

“Dreaming? Chaewon, you’re nuts. Did you get enough sleep last night?” She asked, but proceeded to pinch my wrist anyways. The pinch kinda stings but I knew it wasn’t a dream. She really did smile at me. This is gonna be a good day after all.

 

“Okay class,” I heard Mr. Park announce. “You have exactly a week to complete your papers. Remember that the topic is about you and your legacy. Who you are and who you want to be remembered as.” He said as he arranged the papers on his table and began to leave the room.

 

“I’m pretty sure that means our dear Miss Smarty Chaewonnie has one more week to know who she really is, am I right Chaewonnie?” I heard Hyewon from the back. Does she not have anything better to do other than play games at her PC Bang and torturing me? I just let out a sigh and slumped back into my table.

 

When the bell rang, it was time for the next class, and as soon as Mr. Park left, the class was in chaos again. I paid no mind and just left the room, ready for the next when I felt a hand touch my shoulder. I thought I was in heaven but is this real? Seriously?

 

“Hey. It’s all right. Just don’t pay attention to her, okay?” Minju said with a smile on her face. Gosh that smile can really send me to heaven, and keep me calm. I mean, who wouldn’t? To see an angel smile at you like that is something else. I thought I was a nobody, but here I am, being smiled at by the one and only Kim Minju. Am I whipped? I am. And I’m still here looking at the figure slowly walking away.

 

God bless Kim Minju for gracing this Earth.