No More Whys

Silly Jinjoo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was warm.
 
As if there was a blanket wrapped around us, little rays of sunshine ready to burst from the inside.

I felt your hands tightening around my waist, pulling me closer. I moved my hand from your neck, and soon my fingers were tangled in your hair.

I felt your soft hand rubbing circles on the small of my back. In this moment, our hearts were in perfect rhythm, our bodies in sync.

I was the first one to pull away, albeit unwillingly, pressing my forehead to yours, and you regarded me with half-lidded eyes.

"Another minute," you said. I could hear the desperate plea in your voice.

"Your friends are waiting."

"Another minute, please," you repeated, sounding more urgent, more desperate.

You know my weakness. It's those dimples. How can anyone refuse those hypnotic dips in your cheeks?

"Okay," I gave in. "One more minute."

The kiss was deeper this time, more demanding, more achingly thorough than ever before. I felt feeble and powerless to the very tips, and I just allowed myself to melt into your arms.

Moments later, we both pulled away to catch some air, a satisfied smile playing across our lips.

"Now time to face your friends," I muttered, a little out of breath. "If I die today, remember, the will is in my drawer."

A roar of laughter escaped your mouth as you slumped back on your seat. "I'm not friends with murderers, you silly."

"Wait till they see me."

You gave me a sideway glance. "Eunbi specifically requested your presence. She wants you in there."

"It's a trap," I said in retort.

You shook your head and turned to look at me with those soft eyes. "Don't worry. I'm here to save you."

I would be lying if I say my heart didn't speed up a little. In a small voice, I said, "I know you would."

 

 

 

The narrow pathway to your friend's house felt like the longest one I have ever walked on. My palms began to sweat, and I felt my heart pounding, each beat pulsating in my ears.

"Do you mind telling me what's in there? Seriously, why is that box so thin and...long?" you asked for the nth time, your forehead creased with worried lines.

I turned my gaze to the long, vertical gift-wrapped box in my hands. "Can't you tell?"

"If I knew, I wouldn't have asked."

"Take a guess."

"Minjoo, I really have no idea," you said, sounding a little impatient. "Just tell me. Is it something that I should be concerned about?"

I chuckled. "Of course not."

You gave me a blank stare, and I mentally kicked myself for sounding so brazen, when in fact I felt like my insides were flopping all over the place.

Despite the nervous butterflies, I managed to stand strangely still beside you as we waited for your blonde haired friend to appear. 

Moments later, the door opened, revealing your friend Eunbi who, in my utter surprise, gave me a hug the moment she saw me.

It was a short hug, but the warm meaning behind it didn't get lost in the quick contact. When I realized what happened, my cheeks immediately flushed into a lovely shade of scarlet.

I let out a shaky smile and held out the gift I brought, silently praying for this day to just be over so my nerves could finally take a break.

Eunbi took the box, sporting a questioning look on her face. "You didn't have to bring anything, but thank you."

I tried to remain as calm as possible. "No problem. It's just something that I thought you'd like to have today. Something that failed to make an appearance the last time we were here."

From the corner of my eyes, I saw you shifting on your feet. Were you really that nervous about it?

"Wait. Is this what I think it is?" your friend asked, her eyes widening. The shape and weight must have given it away.

I smiled hesitantly, mentally kicking myself again for having a twisted sense of humor. I should have just stuck to the usual and brought a bottle of champagne for the mimosas. A box of muffins would have been fine, too. Both are unquestionably much better than what I have brought.

"I'm a bit dubious about this, but let's get inside so I can take a look," your friend continued, her curious stare lingering on the box.

You held my hand as we both stepped inside. I couldn't help but release a sigh. One down. Three more friends to go. You squeezed my hand and didn't let go.

 

 

 

The rest of your friends were already gathered in the living room. The lively chatter stopped the moment we walked in.

"What's that?" your friend Yena spoke first, her gaze landing on the box.

"A gift," Eunbi answered with a proud expression, although with a hint of uncertainty.

"Why are you the only one with a gift?" Yena continued. "How about me? Where's mine?" she turned to me with doleful eyes, her duck lips forming into a pout.

And I felt like I just swallowed a rock, lodged right at the base of my throat, anxiety burning a hole in my chest as I tried to find the right words to say.

"Ya!" Eunbi said, a little too loud. "What are you doing? She just arrived and you already freaked her out."

"Eh? I—"

"Tch," I heard you clicking your tongue against the roof of your mouth. "Can you please restrain your gilfriend?"

"What did I tell you earlier?" the said girlfriend, Yuri, scolded Yena with a smack on the arm.

"Gee. What was that for?" Yena complained, massaging the area where her girlfriend's palm landed. "I was just joking. You guys are too serious."

"I'm sorry about that, Minjoo," your other friend, Hitomi, said with a sympathetic smile.

There was something special about her smile. It was reassuring. For some reason, I found myself smiling back.

 

 

 

Today's brunch, just like the first time, was perfect. "That was really good," I muttered in a satisfied tone.

"Thank you. I'm glad you liked it. I was a little worried at first.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter