Before 2

Before I Leave

 

The sunset ray peeks through the curtain as it makes its way to a bed, brushing gently on the two figures under the sheets. Soft melody sounded from the nightstand, coming from a phonecall.

{Suho hyung is calling}

 

“Your...phone...”

 

Minho was still very asleep when he felt someone mumbling against his chest. Letting sleep take over again, Minho pulled in the smaller body towards himself more. Slowly he felt a burn. A burn growing by his waist where a small hand was grabbing onto its flesh, twisting it.

 

“AHWOO!!!”

 

Minho grabbed the small hand into his as he stares down with his eyes wide open, very awake right now. A beautiful pair of eyes looked up with a soft yet sharp glare shooting right through Minho’s own orbs.

 

“What did I say...about phones... NOT on silent?”

 

Minho felt the prick in the words sent directly at him. Slowly he took his fiance into his arms again, not without a little effort when the smaller chose to restraint from being pulled.

 

“I-I must have forgotten... this morning...After I was waiting for your call...”

 

Minho’s sentence fade off with a little pout. Taemin sniffled a little taking in the evening tranquilness in the bedroom.

 

“So it’s my fault?”

“Huh—Oh of course not! It’s mine of course, how could I forget the silent mode and woke you up from your sleep?? Definitely my fault.”

 

Taemin snorted at his fiance’s attempt, giving the wide chest a light punch.

 

“You are not going to check on that? What time are we suppose to leave?”

 

At Taemin’s words, Minho stretched backwards to where his phone lies, on the nightstand. 

They had been out the whole night trying to gather the last minute stuffs that Minho needs for his enlistment, making a few visits too. Taemin had his schedule to go after and Minho waited up. Only when the sun rose high enough, did they got their sleep.

 

“Suho hyung called, the hyungs are on their way over”

 

Minho scrolls through his messages, squinting at the bright light from his phone before quickly putting it away again.

 

“O—"

 

Taemin was getting up when he was pulled back into a warm embrace that he was just about to leave.

 

“You are enlisting tomorrow and you acting like a 5 year old”

“Precisely why I am acting like a 5 year old because I am enlisting tomorrow”

“...Smart but I guess I shouldn’t be kissing a 5 year old... I am not a e—" 

“Who said I was 5?! Now where’s my kiss”

 

 

“The lovebirds have finally decided to appear!”

 

Changmin whistled upon seeing the young couple arrived at the station.

 

“Not my fault, this big here fell asleep while I was showering when I thought he would be disclipined enough to get ready.”

“Hey—"

“What”

 

Minho tried to retaliate only to be silenced at Taemin’s one word question. Changmin, Kyuhyun and Suho could only looked at each other, knowing how weak Minho is when it comes to his fiance despite all the flaming passion thing happening.

 

“Let’s—" 

 

The most senior of them all, Changmin was about to step in, hoping to smooth the atmosphere when he was left speechless at the scene that unfolded.

 

“Taemin-ah~My baby~My beautiful maknae~My one and only~My love~My everything~I promise I will do better~”

 

That was, Minho doing his signature aegyo that does in front of his fans, never in front of his hyungs, as he shakes his body while pulling onto his fiance who had a stern expression on.

 

“M-Min...ho-yah”

 

Kyuhyun tried to call out as he reads Taemin’s expression.

 

“I don’t think Taemin-" 

 

Kyuhyun tried further when he stopped. He had to.

 

“You are lucky that I love you ” Taemin laughed before hopping to hook his hands over the taller. That left the 3 hyungs totally speechless.

 

“No wonder they are made for each other... Let’s go!”

 

 

“Tae—"

 

Minho was about to call out to his fiance who had his head on his shoulders when he realized that the younger had fell asleep just a few station after they left Seoul.

 

The taller strained his head as much as he could without moving his shoulders to take a look at his adorable fiance who unconsciously had his lips protruding out.

 

“Taemin is going to feel a burn on his face”

 

Minho looked up and saw Kyuhyun giving him an amused smile. 

 

“Taemin sure is something huh”

 

Minho traces Kyuhyun’s movement as the older takes a seat on the opposite seat.

 

“It’s been what? Nearly 10 years? and he still has you wrapped around his fingers”

 

Minho let out a light laugh before moving his hand over to lightly cup the smaller’s face. He laughed lightly. The older of the two awake ones sensed the drop in the younger’s tone. It wasn’t hard to guess, based on the look he had.

 

“He is going to be fine... You will be out sooner than you know”

 

Minho felt a slight lift in his heavy heart, knowing that he has someone to talk to with.

 

“I have never left him for so long hyung...”

“I know... You would fly to him before we could even spell the word ‘miss’”

 

Another subtle laugh from the marine boy.

 

“Hyung...”

 

Kyuhyun only gave Minho a knowing look.

 

“We will take care of him okay? You have my words. Just don’t hurt yourself and do us... do him proud.”

 

Minho could only let out a sigh this time, carefully.

 

 

“Taemin-ah, next is ours”

 

Taemin felt a warm hand palming his cheek, so warm and gentle that it’s actually making him wanting to sink back into his sleep.

 

“Taemin-ah”

 

He heard the gentle voice again. Before he could register what was going on, he felt a soft pair of lips leaving subtle pecks on his at every intervals. Minho was leaning in again but held back when the cutest pair of eyes were blinking at him.

 

“Are we in fairytale land?" 

 

Taemin leaned in to complete the kiss before he placed his forehead against the taller’s as they gave each other the warmest smile.

 

“I don’t think so? From what I know, ‘princesses’ don’t snore”

“...Do you want to find one that doesn’t snore then?

“I love my princess snoring mind you—"

 

“May I invite the royal highnesses to please get up from their seat so that WE all can get off from this train... We have arrived guys”

“Let’s go”

 

Minho grabbed his little fiance’s hand before they both followed after Kyuhyun’s lead.

 

 

“So—”

 

Changmin started off.

 

“Taemin is not cooking” Kyuhyun interjected.

 

“Hyung!” the youngest exclaimed.

 

The five of them were about to prepare their dinner after getting settled into the pension they rented for the night.

 

“And I am wrong...? Minho...?”

 

Suddenly, 4 pair of eyes were directed only at him. Doesn’t seem like he could avoid the question, can he. He reached out to grab his fiance’s hand first, giving a gentle look with his deer-like eyes.

 

“Taemin-ah... let’s get the groceries okay?”

 

The hyungs just burst out laughing.

 

“Choi Minho!” the youngest pouted.

 

“Love, you know I would swallow anything down for you, I gave your ramen 3 good bites remember? But these hyungs,” he gestured, “aren’t me..."

 

Taemin gave the 3 one firm glare before turning back to his other half.

 

“..........So what do we need to get”

 

Taemin might have heard a little high five that went on behind his back.

 

 

“Remember, this is not a market date for you two. You have 3 grown men waiting okay”

 

Suho gave the couple one last reminder before handing over the grocery list he compiled.

 

“As long as it’s with Taemin, anywhere could be a date for me”

 

Minho looks over to the smaller with much adoration.

 

“Precisely why I gave you this friend. ly reminder...”

 

Suho deadpanned.

 

 

“I am glad it’s late enough now, there’s barely anyone here”

 

Indeed, Taemin scanned around the mart to only see an uncle down the aisle, figuring out which bottle of soy sauce is better. He could also hear a middle-aged woman on the phone from a distance, planning what seems like a hiking trip with her friends tomorrow.

The mart was pretty quiet at 10 P.M. Taemin felt his hand grabbed into a larger one as they walked further in with Minho’s other hand occupied with the handle of a basket. The smaller let out a smile, unconsciously lowering his head down.

 

“Why are you smiling like that?”

“Uh? N-Nothing”

 

He saw that knowing look from his fiance. Taemin took another quick scan around before lifting their held hand to his lips, giving it a squeeze followed by a quick peck.

 

“This”

 

Grasping the meaning behind it, Minho felt his heart lifted but it sank at the same time. As celebrities, all they could do, was hide. That’s why, at least for now, this moment, they got to experience their life as a soon-to-married couple even if it’s just on a grocery date.

 

.

.

 

“Did we miss out anything?”

“Hmm... salt... eggs... meat...”

 

Taemin was reading out the list on his hand while Minho does a quick run through in the basket.

 

“I think that’s all—oh hyung”

 

Minho was on the phone when the band on his ring finger caught Taemin’s eyes before he looks down to see his matching one.

 

“Yup we are heading back, we just have to pay—Taemin-ah?”

 

Minho was talking to Changmin on the phone when a smaller pair of arms circled his waist, followed by a head on his chest. Taemin didn’t look up and just stayed still that way until Minho was done with his call.

 

“Okay hyung I will get them and we will be back right after...”

 

Taemin remained in his position even after the call ended before he felt himself being held in tighter. No words were exchanged, just a warm and comfortable silence that they are very used to.

 

“Taemin-ah”

 

The moment the younger looked up, Minho leaned in for a chaste kiss.

 

“I love you”

“... I know”

 

Minho laughed at the answer, finding it cute and very ‘Taemin’ for him to say so.

 

“Changmin hyung asked us to get some wine too”

“But tomorrow—“ “I won’t drink don’t worry, it’s the hyungs”

 

 

“The lovebirds are back!”

 

Kyuhyun announced when he saw the young couple walking in with their hands full. Actually... it’s just Minho who has 3 whole bags in one hand with his other occupied by a smaller hand. Taemin got only a bag of vegetables. 

 

“Minho your hand barely has any blood flowing, you should have spilt it with Taemin”

 

Minho laughs at his hyungs’ words as he squeezes his hand to let the blood to flow.

 

“I told him to but he insisted!”

 

Taemin hurriedly took Minho’s hand in his to warm the cold hand that was denied of its blood flow a while ago. The younger was so focus in smoothening the stubborn handle marks to notice how Minho gave his speechless hyungs a playful smirk over his head.

 

“Very smart Choi Minho”

 

 

The night went on with the 5 adults talking and laughing over food and alcohol. Minho didn’t drink because of his enlistment tomorrow and Taemin didn’t want his last night with his fiancé to be foggy the next morning. 

 

“You remember when Minho first joined? Little Taemin ran over to our practice room telling me he saw a foreigner that speaks Korean well and it turned out to be Minho.”

“Minho was also our youngest before knowing that Taemin was joining us, how sad he was! But look at them now”

 

The hyungs were reminiscing over old stories when the young couple was having a little discussion between themselves, whispering low.

 

“They need to know right?”

“I guess so?”

“Kyuhyun hyung knows about it already—"

 “What?!”

 

Afraid that their hyungs might caught them discussing without them, the couple looked up only to see how, fortunately, no one was paying attention to them.

 

“What—How did”

“He saw our rings in the train”

“Hmm, okay, let’s tell them”

 

They turned their bodies towards their hyungs who were obviously drunk.

 

“You sure it is a good idea to tell them... now?”

 

Taemin gestured to Changmin who was as red as tomato by now.

 

“It-It’s just his blood reacting, he is sober... Hyung! Hyung!”

 

Minho went over to shake his hyungs, trying to get them to listen.

 

“Minho? Oh ya?”

 

Suho rolled his eyes a little, blinked hard to focus too. Minho took his place next to his fiancé, taking the smaller hands in his before giving the younger a nod.

 

“Hyung...”

 

Taemin started off. The hyungs just looked at them, wobbling in process while trying to keep balance.

 

“Hyung, Taemin and I are engaged”

 

The young couple stayed still, observing for any response from their hyungs.

 

“...”

 

Changmin and Suho tilted their head to look at the each other before looking at the young couple again with Kyuhyun already out even before the announcement.

 

“Hyungs...?”

 

Minho prompted.

 

“...”

 

Changmin stood up from his seat, reaching his hands out.

 

“Congratulations! Congratu—" 

“Hyung!”

 

Changmin surprised the young couple upon collapsing on the table before they heard another thud, with Suho out too.

 

“You sure it was a good time?”

 

Taemin asked while trying to carry Suho off his chair.

 

“Guess.. We’ll find out tomorrow”

 

 

“Suho-yah, I had a strange dream last night...”

 

Changmin munched on his toast as he stares into Suho’s plate that was across of his, talking to the younger without looking up.

 

“...Me too”

 

The older’s head shot up where they two met eyes. They immediately got off their chair and rushed to where they know they would find their answer.

 

“Minho! Taemin! We—"

 

Suho paused in his sentence when he saw the matching ring on the young couple’s hands. 

 

“Suho-yah! Move—"

 

The same happened to the older too that nearly broke Suho’s hand while trying to push through the hand barrier.

 

“So it’s not a dream...”

 

Taemin and Minho walked past the hyungs, out of the room before Taemin offer to check up on Kyuhyun. Minho turned around to face the two hyungs who were still in shock.

 

“Hyungs?”

“...”

“...”

“Hyung—"

“Congratulation! You little brat! Finally!”

“Yeah! Afraid that Taemin might go for someone else when you are away? Haha! Well done!”

 

 

They took their respective vans to the enlistment venue with the young couple taking their white one. The manager just gave the young couple a pat on the back and a knowing smile.

 

“You come back safe okay?”

“I will, hyung. I have someone to go back home to now.”

 

They stopped by a nearby cafe before Minho got off first, holding onto the door for his fiancé to get off too.

 

“Is this my favorite couple?”

 

Minho’s family was having breakfast there before the young couple arrived. Mama Choi hugged her son before proceeding to give Taemin one. 

 

“How is my favorite doing? Busy with your schedule I see—"

 

The lady stopped mid-sentence when she took the pair of smaller hands in hers, feeling a cold band at her finger tips. She looked up to see Taemin blushing and instead of questioning the said person, she turned to look at her son.

 

“Choi Minho, do you perhaps have something you need to tell us?”

 

This effectively caught the two other Choi males’ attention too. Minho rubbed the back of his neck, letting out a stiff laugh as he walks over to where his fiancé and mother stood. Placing both his hands onto the younger’s shoulders, Minho looked into his mother’s gentle eyes.

 

“I...”

 

He looks at the two other confused Chois once before looking back to his mother.

 

“I... I am engaged”

"...”

“Can I not—"

 

Instead of responding to their son, the Choi parents wrapped Taemin into their embrace.

 

"A son-in-law while our son is away! Amazing!”

“Mom! Dad! Don’t you have anything to say to me—" 

 

“Well done little bro! Took you long enough!”

 

Minho’s brother came over only to rub his hand on his bald head before joining the family hug, without Minho. He can’t really get mad, not when he knows his love is in good hands.

 

 

Taemin fell asleep in the van while they were making their way to the enlistment venue.

 

“Hyung, can you stop us here for a while?”

 

Minho leaned forward, nearer to the driver seat as he whispers softly to their manager.

 

“But Minho we are going to be late—" 

 

“Just... 5 minutes please.”

 

Minho and their manager exchanged looks through the car’s rear view mirror.

 

“Okay, I will stop a little more at the front.”

“Thanks hyung”

“I got your back, little one”

 

 

“Taemin-ah. Love, wake up”

 

Taemin in a deep breath before lifting himself up from his slumber.

 

“A-Are we here already?”

 

The younger rubbed his eyes in the process while Minho admires all that was happening.

 

“We are nearby but we are getting off here first”

 

Still having sleep lingering in his mind, Taemin just took Minho’s hand before being led off the van. Wincing at the afternoon sunlight, Taemin looked around to see that they are at... Somewhere he has no clue at all.

 

“Where are we...”

“Just somewhere nearby...I... just wanted to talk to you”

 

The seriousness in Minho’s tone woke him up from his sleep, before he followed his fiancé’s lead as they walk a little. There were no words exchanged, just their hands secured in each other’s.

 

“Is... something wrong...?”

 

Taemin leaned sideways to check up on his fiancé before Minho finally looks up.

 

“I... I...”

“Hmm?”

“I am sorry...”

 

The younger felt a chill running down his back. What is this unpleasant feeling growing in him...

 

“W-What are you sorry for...”

 

Minho examined the small hands in his before lifting his head up to see an eager looking confused gaze from the latter.

 

“I am sorry... for leaving you so soon... when you know we haven’t actually even got our papers signed. Just this ring”

 

He played with their matching rings, the tone in his voice gradually sinking at every word. Taemin lifted the older by the chin and their gaze met for a moment before the edge of the younger’s lip, slowly rises.

 

“I would have been mad if it was any other occasions but this,” he paused, “this is what we need to do for the country and I will have my time too.”

“Still I—"

“Not another word. You should have thought through all those before even putting this on me”

 

He gestured to the ring.

 

“I just... didn’t want to lose you”

 

Taemin could sense the weight in Minho’s sentence and it aches him a little.

 

“And neither do I. So make sure you do well and most importantly, come back to me in one piece. Like I said before, don’t let your competitiveness take over.”

 

Recalling the time when Taemin exposed his real thoughts of Minho’s competitive spirit, hilariously claiming it as occasionally ‘useless,’ the couple laughed.

 

“Boys it’s time” the manager came through.

 

“Hyung can you help us take a picture? Ah, Minho hyung, our rings”

 

Taemin proceeds to remove it and despite feeling a sense of disappointment, Minho knew it was necessary.

 

 

“We will park by the side”

 

The manager informed Minho before he got off the van to greet reporters and fans. Taemin traced Minho’s movement and looked out from the front passenger seat window to see fans taking pictures of his fiance as the older greets politely.

 

D6n72LCUYAEaPO1.jpg

 

 

“We won’t be sending you in all the way so do take care of yourself and we’ll visit!” Changmin patted the Marine boy on the back.

 

Minho proceeds to give his other hyungs a hug too.

 

“Please, look after him for me”

 

Without even mentioning who was the ‘him,’ they knew.

 

“We will” they assured him.

 

 

“Know that I will always love you even when I am far okay? You belong to me now”

“Can we don’t get so emotional right now? I am trying my best to hold it in”

 

Minho could see the little pool that was starting to form under the younger’s eyes. Taemin remains in his position as he sees Minho walks slowly away.

 

“Taemin-ah!”

“I know you love me!”

“No! I was going to say! don’t lose! your ring!”

 

Taemin bit back the embarrassment that was building up.

 

“But I love you too!”

 

 

 

“........me too...”