Before I Leave

Before I Leave

From tweetfic: https://twitter.com/iheart2min_/status/1117465622219112449?s=21


 

“Ha! Ha..haha your hair...”

 

Taemin tries to conceal his sadness behind his fake laughter the moment he sees Minho on the salon chair, done with his hair cut for the 15th.

He knows exactly what’s going to happen but no pre-preparation is ever enough.

Minho rubs his head as he takes one last look of the new him in the mirror before he stands up. Knowing his boyfriend for years, he could easily tell what’s on the younger’s mind. The fake smile Taemin is putting on is not making it any easier for him.

 

It’s going to be longer this time, at least for 3 months for his basic training he is not going to be able to see the younger. Yes, phones are allowed but it’s just different to have the smaller in his arms, having him stare into the beautiful orbs that looks at only him.

 

Minho bids the salon staffs goodbye before he slides his hand into a smaller one, giving it a tight grip as they walked out of the salon in silence. When they arrived at Taemin’s car, the younger was pulled in for a sudden hug, effectively surprising him in the process.

 

“You don’t have to put up a facade in front of me. You know how much better I know you than you know yourself...”

“That fake laughter wasn’t for you. We have 20 other pairs of eyes in that salon okay. This, is for you”

 

Taemin punched his taller boyfriend right on his stomach. Minho coughed as he places a palm on the hit area while another stays firm on his boyfriend’s arm.

 

“I still love you”

 

Minho jokes while looking up at his boyfriend who is pouting with a fierce stare.

 

“I am still not over the fact that you applied for the Marine—“

 

“Taemin-ah... You know that I have always wanted...”

“That’s why I didnt stop you. I can be upset can I? How could I not when I know how much tougher is training there— I don’t care you better don’t get yourself hurt or else—“

“Or else?”

“Or else...I am finding myself another boyfriend! I am too young to be a widow”

 

Minho grabbed both of Taemin’s hands into his again.

 

“Look at me”

“I don’t really feel like I want to”

“You don’t have much time—“

“Don’t you dare!”

“Now you are finally looking me”

 

Minho laughs, internally praising himself to know how Taemin works.

 

“But you do know the meaning behind ‘widow’... right? You have to... be married before one could be a widow... Does that mean...?”

 

Minho felt the slight stiff in his boyfriend’s hands while he noticed the fast movements in the smaller’s eyeballs.

 

“I was just giving an example! Besides, I might find another someone—Don’t look at me like that!”

 

Taemin turned his head away when he noticed the intense gaze Minho was sending him.

 

“L-let’s get lunch already”

 

The younger was about to walk away to the driver’s seat when he felt a force pulling him back.

 

“I’ll drive”

 

 

Minus the soft music playing through the radio, the young couple exchanged no words but let the comfortable silence sinks in as they feel each other’s warmth through their hand-holding. Minho would take Taemin’s hand into his whenever its free from meddling the gear.

 

They have been together for so long that silence is just another comfortable realm they share because no words are needed for them to express themselves when the other could easily read it from each of their gestures.

 

“My ring finger is about to catch on fire”

 

Taemin mumbled with his eyes fixated on his phone screen as he feels the rubbing on his ring finger whenever Minho has his hand in his. With his eyes on the road, Minho stole quick glances towards his boyfriend before taking one subtle deep breath.

 

“Taemin-ah”

 

The taller called as he releases the grip on the smaller’s hand. Taemin perked up at the lost of warmth and the calling.

 

“Can you get the hand cream in the front drawer?”

“But you can’t apply it right now though, you are driving”

“It’s not for me.”

“Excuse me?”

 

Taemin snorted, “you mean I need it?”

 

“...”

“I have very soft hands mind you! M-maybe it was because I just did the dishes this morning—“

“A cup that you washed you mean?”

 

Taemin blinked at the unexpected comment his boyfriend threw at him before a pout slowly finds its way on the smaller.

 

“So now that you are going to the military, you are starting to point out my imperfections?!”

“...”

“Well, I supposed someone ELSE would apprecia—"

 

Words got caught in his throat the moment he opens the drawer, thinking to retrieve the hand cream only to be greeted by a small white box.

 

“Take it out”

 

Taemin slowly reached for the box when the car pulls into a stop.

Taemin was still fixated on the small box in his hand that he didn’t realized Minho has already came down and walked over to his side of the car. He jumped at the car door opening before he met eyes with the taller.

 

Minho retrieved the box in Taemin’s hand and removed his shoes for him before guiding the younger off the car. Taemin turned to look around the area to realize they have arrived at a nearby beach. Minho took Taemin’s hands as they both walked further in.

 

When they reached where the water meets the land, they could feel the sand and the sea between their toes. Taemin was immersed at the beautiful sunset that was presented in front of his eyes that he forgotten about the box from before.

 

His little jump when he felt a movement from Minho turned into a heartbeating moment as the taller kneels down on one knee.

 

“Ha...”

 

Taemin breathes out as they both meets eyes.

 

“Never have I left you for so long because I would immediately make my way over to find you and see you myself or I might not make it because of the missing I have for you. But this time, I can’t just run off from where I am when I miss you, missing my love.... I never thought I am lucky guy, that is, until you came into my life. Despite me lacking in so many areas—“

“You do not!”

“Taemin, this is suppose to be done without any interjection...”

“S-sorry, g-go on”

 

Minho takes a quick breathe before he continues.

 

“Where I am lacking, you fill them up for me. When I went ahead of myself, you would always be there to pull me back....I can’t see myself, my future with anyone but you and I definitely won’t survive to know that you... might have someone else when I am gone—“

“Oookay! I NEED to interject in this one. You don’t trust me?? After I have already given you half of my life??”

“Noooo! Y-You are so perfect... I just...And I am bald right now...” Minho instinctly rubs his bald head. “And you are the most handsome bald head I have ever seen! You—! Just give me the ring already!”

 

Minho stood up abruptly when he felt the strong shake in the younger’s hand, urging for him to put a ring on.

 

“Y-you are going to marry me??”

“Huh?? Isn’t that ring for me??”

“It is! Of course it is! But I haven even ask—" 

“So you are waiting for??”

“O-oh oh!”

 

Minho went down on one knee again.

 

“Taemin-ah, the reason why—" 

“You have a prepared speech left?”

“I-I do—"

“Can you just skip to the ‘Will you marry me’ part already?”

“O-oh oh oh okay but—" 

“But??”

“I have this o-one part I need to say then I will go straight into that part okay?”

“...Okay”

 

Minho cleared his throat and continued as he stares into his boyfriend’s eyes.

 

“The reason why I brought you here today is because this very spot we are standing on right now, where the land and the sea meets, is what will separate us in the near few months. I would remove any obstacles that would come in between us and this is no exception. Where we will part, is where we will be together, forever... that is of course if you say yes—" 

“Is the question coming up already?”

“Huh—Y-yes, it’s coming”

 

Minho opens up the small box to reveal a ring as he presents it to the smaller. He gulps quickly.

 

“Taemin, will you marry me and be my one and only?”

“...”

“Tae—" 

“About time Choi Minho about time”

 

Taemin retrieves the ring from the box and put it on his own ring finger before pulling the kneeling man up into his arms.

 

“Hey! I am supposed to be the one to put it on you!”

“Can we pleaseeee skip all those rules already?? Don’t you want to ‘kiss the bride’??”

“I thought that’s for the wedding—" 

“I shall then”

 

The smaller pulled his wide eyed fiancé in for a proper kiss, exchanging bliss and happiness of the current moment.

 

“As your spouse, I have every right to order you not to get hurt. You have someone waiting for you at home do you hear me??”

“Yes... my dear husband.”

 


As always, 2MIN4EVA