chapter || two

stay, don't leave || stray kids

Seungmin pulled me into an empty classroom with Jisoo, the guy, and Woojin following closely behind. Seungmin made me sit down in a desk while telling Woojin to pull the door close.

"Breathe," Seungmin said, trying to calm me down.

I was almost hyperventilating. Seungmin patted my back and rubbed it up and down. Woojin wasn't being a jokester anymore and brought me water. I looked up at Jisoo who was staring at me with worried eyes. For a minute, I forgot the guy was still here. After a few minutes, I began to breathe normally and have calmed down.

"I'm going to take Jieun home; you guys go grab something to eat," Seungmin said looking at Jisoo and Woojin.

"I'm sorry guys," I mumbled.

Seungmin held my arm just in case I was still stumbling. As we were about to walk past them, I turned to the guy and said, "I'm sorry; I still owe you a lunch."

"Jieun, I got it; it's my fault anyway," Woojin said, looking at me apologetically.

"No, you treat him too, but I need to also treat him," I said looking at Woojin.

Before anyone could speak up again, I swiftly dug into my backpack and pulled a yellow sticky note and a pen. I wrote my name and number on the sticky note.

"When you need a free lunch or someone to eat with, call me, I owe you," I said, facing the guy and handing him the sticky note.

"You don't need to; it's really fine. I'm at fault too," He said in the same almost inaudible voice, trying to hand me the sticky note back.

"Then, either way, I owe you, and you owe me," I said not taking the sticky note back.

Before he could say anything else, I walked back to Seungmin and said goodbye to them.

Seungmin and I rode the bus home like always. Seungmin and I share an apartment.

[25 minutes later]

Seungmin was trying to hold my arm, but I told him that I was fine now and that he didn't need to worry. Before we walked to our apartment, Seungmin brought some food from the nearby chicken place. After walking for 5 minutes, we finally arrived at our home. I threw my backpack on the sofa and threw myself onto the sofa.

"Go wash up and eat," Seungmin said.

If there wasn't any food involved, I wouldn't have even heard Seungmin. I dragged myself off the sofa and walked to the bathroom to wash up. After I finished washing up, Seungmin went to wash up. When he came out, we started to eat. Usually, when we eat together, there will be laughter or just loud talking, but today it was silent until Seungmin spoke up.

"Are you okay?" Seungmin cautiously asked.

I nodded while still focusing on my chicken. After that question, we were silent. I pulled my phone out and realized that the time was already 5PM. I told Seungmin that I was going to go to my room and do a little bit of studying.

I went into my room which was closed-in with walls filled with pictures. I stared at one particular picture of toddler Seungmin and me.

[flashback]

"You are an orphan." "Where are your mom and dad?" "Did they leave you because they hate you?" "You can't play with us- you mother-less kid."

I heard those sentences being throw around. I saw a kid, crying on the ground getting dirt throw at him. I came down from the slide and ran to his rescue. I came in between the crew of kids who were bullying him.

"Why are you bullying him; you don't even know him! Go away, and don't bother him again!" I screamed at the group of guys.

The group of kids ran away. I bend down to the crying kid-Seungmin and brushed off the dirt on him.

"Stop crying; it's okay now, I am here," I said to him, trying to stop him from crying.

But that did not stop him from crying, and I started to panic. Before I knew it, I took the lollipop from my mouth and forced it into his mouth, hoping that would make him feel better. He did stop crying, but his eyes dilated probably because he was surprised by my sudden action.

"Jieun, let's go home!" My mother yelled.

I said goodbye to the once crying kid. Before he could reply, I was running back to my mother. I turned back to him and waved goodbye one more time.

[flashback end]

I was smiling at myself looking at that picture which brought back so many memories-happy and painful ones.

I snapped myself back to reality when I heard my phone *ding* three times. I checked my phone to see that it was Woojin who texted me. I replied Woojin back and after a few minutes, Jisoo also texted me.  Both asked me if I was okay. After calming their worries, I went to study.

[Three hours later]

I yawned and plopped onto my bed. My face was faced to the left side of my room which had a photo that I should have taken down a long time ago. It was a picture of me and that guy I made eye contact with today. I quickly turned my face away from that photo.

I checked the time-7:30PM. I jumped up from my bed and grabbed my phone off my desk. I began to call Woojin while I walked out of my room towards Seungmin's room.

"What's up, Jinny-bunny," Woojin said on the line.

"I need you to stop calling me that! Anyways, do you want to go to eat dinner?" I said, angrily while knocking on Seungmin's door.

Before Woojin could reply, Seungmin opened the door in two seconds.

"Let's go eat dinner, pleassseeeee," I whined to Seungmin.

"Hey, you never whineeee at me." Woojin yelled while mocking me.

"You aren't me," Seungmin yelled towards my phone.

Seungmin and Woojin begin to argue over the phone over this childish matter.

"Woojin, are you eating with us or what?" I said in a "im-sick-and-tired-of-your-" voice.

"Yeah, I'll be in front of your house in five minutes." Woojin said seriously.

I ended the call and called Jisoo next.

While the line is still ringing, Seungmin told me that he was going to go change. I walked back to my room while talking to Jisoo on the phone.

"Jisoo, do you want to go eat dinner with Seungmin, Woojin and me?"

"Sure, I will be at your house in around 8 minutes."

We hung up, and I went to my closet and changed.

I picked something casual to wear

I picked something casual to wear. I quickly threw my phone into my purse and reached into my backpack for my wallet which I also threw into my purse. 
I walked to the living room where Seungmin was already ready and waiting for me.

When we reached the front door to wear our shoes, the doorbell rang. The person was pushing the button urgently. 
"Woojin, STOP RINGING THE DAMN BELL," I yelled as I opened the door. 
Jisoo and Woojin was waiting outside like expected. 
I locked the door behind me.

Before we started to walk, we tried to figure out where to eat.

"Where are we going to eat?" Jisoo asked while shivering.

"Just pick anyplace, it's way too cold to be out here," I answered while pushing my hands down the pockets of my jacket.

"Then let's go eat BBQ, it will warm us up," Seungmin said.

Voices of agreement were heard.

"So, you are going to drive right?" Woojin said looking at me.

"Come on, Mr. star-soccer-player, ten minutes of walking won't kill you." I said in a sarcastic tone.

"Miss who soccer-captain-have-a-huge-crush-on-you, you are about to freeze." Woojin said in the same manner.

I rolled my eyes, "I don't think you made a point." 

Jisoo grabbed Woojin's arm and pulled him to make him walk. Woojin groan when Jisoo pulled him. Seungmin and I followed them while laughing at the sight in front of us. We walked to our regular restaurant while joking and laughing around which made us forget the cold.

After 12 minutes, we arrived at the restaurant and  were greeted with familiar faces.

"Jieun!" Auntie (Ahjumma) said elatedly when she saw me.

I smiled back as a response trying to not make a big scene since everyone was staring at us. She hurried us to a table and brought us drinks.

"Do you want the regular?" She asked

I looked at everyone, and they all gave me a nod.

"Yes, please!" I answered back returning her energetic tone.  

When we begin to crave for Korean BBQ, we always go to the same restaurant. We've been eating here for two years. While waiting for our food, we discussed some stuff about school and gossip for a while too. 
After 10 minutes, the grill was set up, and the meats were out too.

We begin to dig in like we haven't eaten for months. After a few minutes, I was burning up, so I took my jacket off. The guys grilled the meat as Jisoo and I devoured the meat. I offered to grill the meat, but I got rejected, so if I get fat, I'm blaming them.

[After two hours]

"We are such pigs," I said staring at the bloated crew who was leaning back onto their chairs. 

Seungmin chuckled.

"Are we going home after this?" Jisoo asked. 

"Probably, I'm going to have to go to the gym tomorrow before work to burn off these calories," I said. 

"What time do you go in?" Woojin asked while sipping on his soda. 

"4," I replied. 

"I don't understand why you work at the dessert cafe when you are rich," Woojin said while Jisoo was nodding. 

"For the last time, I'm not rich, I am just able to live comfortably. I also enjoy the job; you know how much I love coffee and dessert," I replied.

Woojin looked at me with a whatever-you-say look.   

Seungmin's phone rang. I motioned to them to leave. I fast-walked to the counter to pay for dinner before anyone could. I took my card out and paid for dinner. Before Woojin could arrive at the counter, the Ahjumma swiped my card. 

Woojin came beside me and ruffled my hair while saying, "Jinny-bunny, I could have paid for dinner." He also said, "Live comfortably, my ." in a low volume voice. I grabbed my receipt and card and knocked Woojin on the back of his head because of his smart comment. Seungmin and Jisoo were already out of the restaurant. 

"Jieun and Woojin, see you soon!" Ahjumma said before we went out the door. We turned back and bow and waved goodbye. 

We went out of the door and saw Seungmin still on the phone, and Jisoo texting on her phone. 

Seungmin told us that he needed to go back to school to help a hoobae-Jeongin with one of his class. Jisoo said that she needed to go to the art store which was 20 minutes away to pick up supplies for her art project. At the same time, Woojin received a text for his partner-Changbin to meet to discuss their project in the library. This means that I am going to be alone, great. 

The bus arrived for them to go to their designated spots. 

"The bus goes to the street of the house, get on," Seungmin said, turning back to face me before stepping onto the bus. 

"I'm going to walk around for a bit," I replied following him while he walked to his seat. 

The bus door closed, and Woojin and Seungmin yelled out of the window "STAY SAFE AND BE CAREFUL!" 

"I'm not a kid, but okay!" I yelled back with my cheeks turning red because the whole bus was staring outside of the window to figure out who they were yelling out. 

The bus went in motion, and I waved goodbye to them. I began to walk on the road that we came from. I went into a grocery store to pick up some stuff for the house-mainly food. I spent around 35 minutes in the store; I came out of the store with three filled bags. I began to pace towards the house. Walking for around three minutes, my phone rang. 

"I swear if one of these boys are calling me right now; I will kill them." 

I placed all the bags in one hand which was about to strain my hands. I grabbed my phone out of my bag and saw that an unfamiliar number was calling me. 

I picked up the call. 

"Hello?" I questioned.

"Ji-eUn, hEy, YOu sHouLd cOMe aND hAng OUt wiTh Us!" The person on the other side said. 

He was totally wasted. 

"Um, who is this."

"Oh yeAh, iT's HYuNJin!"

"Who?"

"ThE gUy yOu bUMpEd iNtO ToDaY!" 

"you really don't remember me, do you," Hyunjin said in an audible voice. 

 I didn't hear what he said last. I thought to myself "This man isn't as depressed as he looked." 

"You are drunk; you should call someone to pick you up." 

My left hand was about to break. 

"That's why I'm calling you; you see I've just arrived not long ago, and I don't have any friends." He mumbled, sounding so different from when he first called. 

"Okay, okay, where are you?" I asked sounded annoyed. 

I waited for an answer and got none. I could hear in the back-"Please welcome Sik-K!" and the call went dead. 

Really, I can't believe I was about to do this. I barely even know this boy. I don't even know where he is. If Seungmin and Woojin were here, I would have made them deal with this mess. Why should I even go? Should I even go? Before I could answer my questions, my feet were in motion. I hurried back to my house and placed everything into the fridge even the ones that weren't supposed to be in the fridge. While stuffing the items into the empty spots in the fridge, I realize where he was. He was at Club Indigo. Hyemin, my partner in art, was talking non-stop about how Sik-K was performing tonight. How I wish I didn't know about this information. 

I threw my shoes back on and started my car. Club Indigo was about 10 minutes by car. Why am I wasting gas on this boy? Before I knew it, I was in the parking lot. I parked my car and walked to the front. After showing my license, I immediately spotted the drunk boy who was plopped onto the bar counter. He was the only one not watching Sik-K performing. I walked towards him. 

The Bartender said, "I'm going to guess that you are Jieun." 

"How do you know?" 

"The boy here has been saying your name for the past hour while getting wasted. How badly did you hurt him?"  

"None, I barely know him." 

"You definitely did something; he ordered four glasses of straight gin and vodka."

I shrugged my shoulders

"I'm just going take this out of your hands," I said while pointing at the "dead" human being beside me. 

He made a go-ahead hand gesture. 

How am I even going to do this? I went to the side where his face was facing and put my hand underneath his arm and lifted him up from the chair. He woke up from the unexpected touch. 

"JiEun, yOu'Re hERe." Hyunjin said smiling like a fool.

"Yeah, yeah, walk, so you can stop bothering this poor man," I said pointing at the Bartender.  

Hyunjin began to walk, but he was stumbling, so I still held his arm. I walked him towards my car and threw him into the passenger seat and put on his seatbelt for him. I went to the driver seat and started my car. 

"I swear if you throw up in my car; you would not see daylight," I threatened him while reaching for a water bottle in the back of the car and handed it to him. I reversed out and drove out to the main road. 

"Where do you live?" I asked him, still having my focus on the road in front of me. I received no answer. I looked over to the passenger seat and found a calm and quiet person sleeping deeply beside me.

"Oh gosh, Seungmin is going to kill me," I mumbled to myself while driving onto the path to my house. 

 

 

 

 

 

[a/n: this chapter is really long! thank you for reading like always!]

[also please comment if you enjoy it or just have suggestions!]

[i apologize if there are any grammar or punctuation mistakes; i haven't proofread it!]