Part II: twice

One More Time

The past:

The rays of sun wafted through the gap of the blinds, casting a warm blanket over Momo’s unmoving figure. She’s currently deep in slumber, her face solemn without any trace of fatigue the night before when she had gone over her dance routine with Tzuyu in her sister’s studio. It’s Saturday morning and Momo usually has the whole day cleared to just relax—mostly just lounging around her room watching Netflix, annoying Sana in her room, going out to find newly opened café and restaurant with her friends, or casually cruise around with her bike along the riverbank near campus.

 

Momo actually prefers activities that requires less moving or no moving at all, so she probably will settle with shower, light breakfast, and then scrolling endlessly on Netflix for 45 minutes selecting movies to watch, before debating whether the movie which is 1 and a half hour long is worth her time.

 

Momo is still sleeping soundly on her bed without care of the world when Sana slams her fist on the door. The loud banging on her door slowly drags Momo out of her slumber. She hears her door swings open with a bemused Sana with hands on her hip.

 

“Momo, do you know what day is today?”

 

Momo shakes her head slowly, sleep still lingering in her eyes. She buries her head deeper on her pillow.

 

“Goodness, Momo! Do you seriously forget?” Sana raises her tone and grab Momo’s arm that peeks out from under the covers. “It’s almost noon!”

 

Momo finally blinks her eyes open but quickly shuts it. Sana already draws the blinds open, and her room is too bright for Momo’s liking.

 

“Why are you here?” Momo whines, drowsiness etches in her hoarse voice. “Go annoy Nayeon or something.”

 

“Momo, you have a date with Mina in an hour!”

 

Momo’s eyes darts open immediately. She throws her covers and props up on her bed with her legs crossed. Sana only watches her with a small smile on her lips, then shakes her head incredulously at Momo.

 

“Come, get yourself a nice shower. Or should I lend you a hand?”

 

Sana her eyebrows in teasing manner and blows a kiss toward Momo, while Momo ignores the innuendo completely, but not before throwing Sana a disgusted face.

 

-/-

 

Momo can never explains how Mina makes her stomach flips despite already spending a lot of time together alone. The feeling is pleasant and unpleasant at the same time. Momo hates how she always feels self-conscious of how she pays attention to Mina as a whole, or just Mina’s face closely. Her gaze traces down to her lips.

 

Oh, Mina’s lips look soft and moist, she sure takes a great amount of care toward her lips, Momo thinks. Compared to Momo, she rarely go out of her way to put any effort on her chapped lips, but Mina notices those times, Mina will always readily pull out her Carmex out of her purse and applies a generous amount on Momo’s lips. Momo wishes Mina will just transfer the moistness directly from her red, plump lips—with kisses.

 

Momo cannot wait to finally kiss Mina. She already fantasizes how it actually tastes like, or where they will do it. Momo is a hopeless romantic, actually. She never reveals this fact from her friends because she sure as hell she’ll never hear the end of it. Momo feels like a total loser after finding out that love does funny thing to people.

 

Mina does funny things to Momo. She has been occupying Momo’s mind all day, Momo’s head spins when she sees her breathtaking feature, and Momo cannot explain how her heart b with love when Mina laughs heartily at something silly she says or do.

 

Momo loves Mina. Momo only wants to cherish these fluttering feelings in her heart and associates it with Mina. Only Myoui Mina.

 

-/-

 

“Thank you so much, Momo. I’ve had a lot of fun today.”

 

Momo can feels Mina’s body stirs faintly as she speaks. Mina fixes her head on Momo’s lap and shuts her eyes close, hums with pleasure etches on her grin.

 

“I still cannot believe you win against me on Dance Revolutionary,” Momo fakes a pout, and she hears Mina lets out a giggle. “If you didn’t put your face so close to mine maybe I would win that song!”

 

Momo reminds herself of the rare occasion when Mina basically s her body close and her face even closer in a heated dance battle in the arcade earlier today. Momo glances down to Mina only to see Mina’s dark brown orbs pierce straight into Momo’s soul. Momo mentally counts the mole on her face, drawing the line and connecting them when she feels Mina’s body rises. Momo can feel her hot breath blows on her lower lip as Mina levels her face, just a couple inches apart.

 

Momo is drowning in Mina, all her senses are clouded with Mina—her moist lips, her soft touch on her nape, her other hand on her chin. In what feels like eternity, Mina pulls back, her lower lips while her eyes trained on her as Momo flutters her eyes open.

 

“Momo—I uh,” Mina trails, the words seem to be stuck on her lips.

 

“Mina, I love you.”

 

Momo whispers under her breath, just loud enough for Mina to catch it. Momo watches as Mina’s face turns into horror. Momo just finds it adorable. Mina tries again, she opens her lips, but only air comes out of it.

 

Is it wrong that Momo now craves Mina even more than before? She wants to do things and—

 

“Momo, I’m really sorry.”

 

Momo watches as Mina pulls herself away from her, guilt evident on her eyes. Mina scurries to her purse and makes way outside Momo’s room. Momo watches everything unfolds with silence, her mind scatters everywhere, confused.

 

‘Did I say something wrong?’

 

-/-

 

Momo has a ritual of venting all her worries and stress with dancing. She usually spends her time dancing in her sister’s dancing studio, sometimes staying up late after the night session ends. She argues that dancing strips off the negative thoughts and energies within her, so she keeps dancing until her head is cleared. Dancing helps Momo forgets for a moment, but after that she’s back to her laments of Mina.

 

Momo sits cross legged in the middle of empty dance room. A pair of dark orbs stare her own reflection in the mirror wall—the gaze is blank. Momo snaps out of her reverie when she hears footsteps coming closer. She hugs her knees as she looks up, finding Sana who offers her a weak smile. Sana joins Momo on the floor as she hooks her arm around Momo’s shoulder in comforting manner.

 

“You look down lately. Care to share?” Sana tries, her tone etches with genuine concern. Of course, out of all her friends, Sana is the one who notices something is amiss with Momo.

 

“Sana, promise me you won’t tell anyone,” Momo replies with an unreadable look across her face. Worries grow as Sana cannot read Momo. “I am, uh—Mina. This is about Mina.”

 

Sana Momo’s hair and nods, letting her finish the story, “I confessed, to Mina. Remember that day you barge into my room to wake me up? The day I went on date with Mina—“

 

Momo winces physically as she tries to remember that incident. The shock haunts her that night and the night after—it won’t stop chasing her that she becomes sleep deprived.

 

“She just ran. She didn’t spare me anything, not even looking back—I had hoped that she turned around and looked me in the eyes, but,” Momo chokes on her words, her heart clenches with pain. The pain that makes her suffer courtesy of one Myoui Mina.

 

“Oh Momo,” It hurts Sana to watch her friend suffer like this. She feels as if saying I’m sorry is not appropriate right now. She settles with hugging Momo while cradling her head. “It’s okay, I got you. Don’t worry.”

 

-

 

Momo drifts into sleep without any problem that night. The void in her heart is patched with Sana’s company all night. Sana excuses herself after making sure Momo is deep in her slumber. Momo’s phone vibrates on the nightstand, her phone flashes Sana’s number.

 

“Morning, Sana.”

 

“No time for small talk, Momo!” Sana’s voice is loud and clear from the other side of the phone. “Mina is missing!”

 

Momo’s eyes darts open, she props her hand on the edge of the bed. “Come again!?”

 

“Momo, get your over here, right now!” Momo only hears faintly through her phone but she can grasp the furious, loud yell coming from Nayeon. Momo pays no attention to her drowsy appearance as she quickly snatches her car keys and jogs to the parking lot.

 

When Momo arrives at Nayeon’s mansion, she spots Jihyo pacing around the living room, arms crossed and face stern. Sana appears from the kitchen and guides her to sit on the sofa—a great concern evident on her face. What the is going on? Momo asks herself.

 

“Nayeon found this post-it on Mina’s nightstand this morning,” Sana shows her a neon green post-it that read ‘I’ll be back soon so don’t look for me.’ Sana continues, “We cannot reach her on Line. Her iMessage bubble turns green.”

 

Nayeon storms into view, looking like she can devour anything that get in her way. “What did you do!?”

 

Momo is taken aback. Too many commotions happening and her head can only take too much at a time. Her face twists, “I—I don’t understand.”

 

Nayeon yanks Momo’s hand—it stings, but Momo could care less. Momo can feel her ears ringing as Nayeon raises her voice, “This must be your doing!”

 

“Sweetheart, let her speak,” Sana holds Nayeon’s arm, rubbing it in calming manner.

 

Jihyo who has been watching the scenes unfold in complete silence finally opens up slowly, “Momo, do you know where Mina is?” Her tone is rather calm, but the words edges with underlying threat.

 

“First of all, I’m not exactly talking to her anymore, so I don’t know where she is,” Momo replies, her wary look splayed across her face. Jihyo picks up the hint, and takes a seat beside Momo.

 

“I’m sorry, Momo. I’m sure you must be confused. Trust me, we all are,” Jihyo offers a sympathetic look before she continues, “Mina never pulls something like this before so I don’t have any idea.”

 

All heads are averted toward Tzuyu who just saunters inside the living room. Tzuyu feels like she misses something important, looking rather confused with the state their friends in but she offers a beam without breaking eye contacts with them.

 

“If you guys are looking for Mina,” Tzuyu clasps her hands together, eyeing the four of her friends. “Here.”

 

Tzuyu holds her phone facing the other girls. They all glues their attention on it. The screen appears, showing instagram update of a plane ticket to Osaka and a passport cover with ‘Sharon’ carved on the leather.

 

Nayeon furrows her eyebrows, “Why is she going to—Oh my goodness.”

 

Jihyo visibly gasps, “Where did you get this, Tzuyu?”

 

“I found it on her private instagram account,” Tzuyu explains, raising her hands, “Trust me, I don’t even know how I’m following that account.”

 

“This looks legit. This account is indeed Mina,” Jihyo massages her temples. Sana shares a bewildered look to Momo who mirrors Sana’s own.

 

“She’s going to her parents place,” Nayeon climbs from her seat.

 

Jihyo grabs a hold of Nayeon’s arm, restraining Nayeon, “Don’t act ahead of yourself. Let Mina deals with whatever it is first. She’s not a child anymore.”

 

“Jihyo, you know Mina’s relationship with her family isn’t exactly good however you might see it.”

 

“Yes, I understand, but as her friend—and your friend too, in case you forget—I will not let you meddle with their business. I’m sure Mina already think this through.”


“But she didn’t tell us beforehand!” Nayeon drops her hands limply, “Why didn’t Mina tell us, Jihyo!?”

 

Nayeon is never one to tread lightly when something arises—she’s the type to dive head first. Sana is a great catalyst for it—she seems patience enough to look after Nayeon—before Nayeon tries anything funny. Nayeon might seem menacing, but she uses the façade to protect those she hold dear. Nayeon is actually a gentle person with a heart as soft as cotton.

 

“I agree with Jihyo,” Sana pulls Nayeon into her arms, trying to pacify her girlfriend. “Besides, I’m sure Mina has her reasons.”

 

Momo reclines on her seat, she feels guilt and regret as she shuts her eyes with her hand.

 

‘Does this have anything to do with me?’

 

-/-

 

The present:

It’s been two weeks since spring break ended but they are still reeling from the feeling. Nayeon gives Sana various item of souvenirs from Hawaii—her short getaway trip last weekend with her mom that can only happens twice a year due to her mom’s jam-packed schedule. They are ranging from a traditional candy that you can only find back in local shop there, bikini that Nayeon brags will fit Sana despite never having properly measure her body before, having touch her body so much she can mentally remembers every nook and cranny—Nayeon only sneers when she sees Jihyo and Mina make a disgusted look—and a pair of matching bracelets. Jihyo and Mina only receives something with duty free paper wrap, which means Nayeon bought it last minute before returning here, but Mina still appreciates the gesture.

 

“So, uh—I saw you and Momo earlier today,” Jihyo begins, her arms crossed as she leans on the kitchen island of Nayeon’s mansion. “If there’s anything that you haven’t told us, maybe now is the perfect time to speak up.”

 

Mina shifts uncomfortably on the island stool, her eyes are casted on the marble surface.

 

“Jihyo and I already know your thing with Momo, actually. Courtesy of Sana,” Nayeon throws her a sympathetic look. “We decided that we’re not gonna force you until you’re comfortable enough to talk, but we both agree that this cannot go on forever.”

 

Mina knows this day will eventually come where she has to face her fears—their friends and her messy feelings.

 

“You guys probably already heard me meeting that person,” Mina air quotes as she braces herself to look up to meet her gaze with attentive looks of Jihyo and Nayeon. Her gaze wavers a bit before she continues, “The whole thing of me running away to Osaka, It’s because of that person, like—like not the whole reason, but you get my point.”

 

(“Hi, Mina.”

 

Mina can hear Jeongyeon’s voice, faint like a whisper.

 

“Hey,” Mina uses all her power to control herself. “How are you doing?”

 

“I’m fine. It’s just—I thought you blocked my number,” Jeongyeon laughs weakly. Mina can hear the tension in Jeongyeon’s voice—Jeongyeon is as nervous as she does.

 

“I wanna grab lunch with you, I’ll pick you up tomorrow. If it’s okay? Oh—actually I don’t know the time your class ends tomorrow, so you can pick either lunch or dinner. Both works for me,” Jeongyeon follows, her tone sounds hopeful.

 

Mina hates to turn her offer down, but she’s also conflicted with her own determination to distance herself from Jeongyeon, and she promises Nayeon to never set her foot anywhere close to Jeongyeon ever again. She technically broke the promise yesterday when she accidentally met with Jeongyeon, so what is the second time?

 

“Jeongyeon, it’s—“

 

“Mina,” Jeongyeon calls her name, pleading. ”Please?”

 

Mina curses mentally. She’s really weak when it comes to Jeongyeon’s plea.

 

“Fine, tomorrow is actually last day before Spring break, but I can only meet after my classes are done. 5 PM.”



Mina sighes as she’s admitting defeat. She can already imagine the rants she will be hearing from Nayeon afterward.)

 

“So that night we went out,” Mina trails, her voice just above a whisper. “—and she asked me to get back with her.”

 

Nayeon’s eyes darts open immediately they almost jump out from its sockets. Jihyo stares at Mina with disbelief. Mina only shrinks in her seat and buries her face deep in her palms.

 

“Jeongyeon did what!?” Nayeon’s scream pierces across the room, but Mina only flinches at the mention of Jeongyeon’s name. “That bastard- Why didn’t you tell us earlier?”

 

Jihyo clenches her fist as if she’s ready to punch someone’s face—well in this case, Jeongyeon’s face. “I will teach her some lessons.”

 

“Wait, I’m not finished!” Mina groans, her hands holding both Nayeon and Jihyo in attempt to calm them. “I didn’t say anything about accepting her back.”

 

“I was too shocked then. And honestly, I imagined about going back together with her before,” Mina’s voice stirs, a single tear escapes her eye. “But that was before I met Momo.”

 

Nayeon and Jihyo both softens their gaze, and pulls Mina into the warmth of their embrace.

 

“You know, I really don’t know what exactly happened. Momo—she just,” Mina sobs uncontrollably. “It was too quick—the kiss—it was sweet and she even said she love me but—but then Jeongyeon appears out of nowhere. It’s like—Oh, God, I’m so stupid.”

 

Jihyo rubs her back in a comforting manner, and Nayeon offers her tissue. Mina sometimes forget how grateful she is to have protective friends. Mina also realizes that night, it all boils down to one thing—she finally accepts her feelings of Momo.

 

Mina doesn’t want to lose Momo.

 

Mina loves Momo.

 

“I will meet with Momo tomorrow,” Mina’s sobbing has subdued now, but her voice is still hoarse from it.

 

“Do you need us to be there?” Nayeon grabs a hold of Mina’s hand, rubbing the back of it gently.

 

“It’s fine. I can manage by myself,” Mina cracks a smile for the first time since she sets foot inside Nayeon’s mansion today. She feels as if a huge burden has been lifted off her shoulders.

 

-/-

 

The past:

Mina is living alone, away from her parents since high school where she’d meet Nayeon and Jihyo. The three of them are classmates whom despite having differences, they completes each other.

 

Young Mina is reliable and takes care of herself well, so her parents let her borrow one of the apartment they own during her education endeavor overseas. Mina had known Nayeon then, since they live on the same floor. Mina will be over at Nayeon’s for dinner after Nayeon insists her coming—it’s better to have company while eating, Nayeon says—and they’d spend a hearty dinner. Sometimes Nayeon’s mother joins them when she is not too busy with the Town’s Hall.

 

Jihyo and Nayeon are like two peas in a pod, so when Nayeon makes friend with Mina, it means Mina is also making friend with Jihyo Mina was distant at first, because Jihyo is not particularly an easy going person, but along the road they grows fonder of each other companies. Jihyo is dependable—she acts much like an adult than her age shows—and it is nice to have someone to depend on while you’re away from your family. Mina likes her new friends as she finds solace with their companionship.

 

Entering their second year, Mina stumbles upon Yoo Jeongyeon. Mina finds out that Jeongyeon is one year above her who plays in an indie band as drummer. Their friendship blooms slowly, but Mina catches her heart skips a beat every time her eyes land on Jeongyeon. She knows since then that she has a huge crush on Jeongyeon

 

It seems like not only Mina is falling, but Yoo Jeongyeon also falls in love with Mina. Nayeon and Jihyo (mostly Nayeon) argue that Jeongyeon could be playing with Mina’s feeling, but their words fall on deaf ears as Mina is too heels overhead with Jeongyeon.

 

One night, Jeongyeon had asked Mina to grab a bite at one of her favorite hotel buffet, which the head chef turned out to be Jeongyeon’s dad. The dinner is splendid, and now they’re just busy trying to entertain each other. At one point Mina catches Jeongyeon saying she wants to be a chef like her dad. Mina laughs good-naturedly at that, the image of Jeongyeon clouds her mind where they’re at their kitchen in the morning, Jeongyeon with spatula on hand and the other hand holding Mina by her waist. Mina snaps out of her reverie when she suddenly feels a warm hold on her hand. Mina looks up as she meets Jeongyeon’s gaze—stern yet endearing.

 

“Mina, do you wanna be my girlfriend?”

 

-/-

 

Mina thinks she’s dreaming—to be having Jeongyeon as her girlfriend—and she wishes that she would never wake up from her dream ever.

 

-/-

 

One day, Mina wakes up to a nightmare. It feels so surreal that she begins to mistake her dream with reality.

 

Jeongyeon is sitting across her, the dining table is arranged neatly with white cloth and a vase of rose in the middle. Mina doesn’t remember having a special occasion today, though. Both Jeongyeon and Mina just stare at their plates.

 

“I am going to Barcelona,” Jeongyeon finally breaks the unnerving silence.

 

Mina peels her eyes off her untouched dinner and fixes her disbelief look on Jeongyeon. The grip on her fork loosens. She has never heard of this, has she? Barcelona? Mina tries to find any recollection of Barcelona. Oh, sure, it’s during their date at the hotel buffet where she met Jeongyeon’s dad—but Jeongyeon didn’t say a thing, it was her dad’s wish. Or so Mina thought.

 

“Mina, let’s break up.”

 

Mina looks at Jeongyeon as if she’s grown two head, she cannot believe what she just hears. She swallows a big lump in before she manage to lets out a weak scowl, “What?”

 

“I’m sorry, Mina.”

 

“Why?” Mina weighs, her eyes are b with tears, but she holds it in. In her head is a loop of endless possibility of reasons why this happens. Sadly not a single one of them clicks. Mina hopes this is just a very bad nightmare. She will wake up to a sleeping Jeongyeon on her bed, and nothing can harm them—

 

 

“I’m sorry,” Jeongyeon sounds like a broken tape, uttering her words over again.

 

Mina tear ducts burst like a broken faucet, her sobs ripples through her whole body. The vision of Jeongyeon sitting in front of her blurs. She can feel a sharp jab at her heart as her body trembles in sorrow. Her heart is shattered in pieces—all her fear is turning into reality. Mina shuts her eyes and buries her face in her palms.

 

“Mina,” Jeongyeon whispers under her breath. She tries to calm her by touching Mina but Mina recoils and roses from her seat.

 

“Don’t touch me.”

 

Jeongyeon feels her stomach turns into mush of emotions as she watches Mina’s face drenches in tears. Mina swiftly turns on her heels, grabbing her purse before sending a final look toward Jeongyeon. Her eyes flashes in agony and shock that consumes her.

 

-/-

 

The present:

Momo has her eyes trained on her phone, and pinches the bridge of her nose. Mina can be here any minute now. She contemplates if she’d just bail, but that means she will have to ignore Mina again.

 

No. Momo cannot stand it any longer.

 

As much as she dislikes having to face Mina now, it’s better than the idea of continuing to ignore Mina even longer. Momo can’t deal with her own sanity if she has to keep pretending that it doesn’t kill her inside to ignore Mina.

 

“Hi Momo.”

 

Momo looks up from her phone and finds Mina with her hand tucked inside her coat. Jihyo’s café is quite empty during this hour so the place is perfect for whatever ensues. Momo simply doesn’t want to draw unwanted attention.

 

Act normal, Momo. You got this.

 

Momo tries.

 

“Hi, Mina. Do you want anything? I just ordered milkshake,”

 

And Momo succeeds. Momo mentally hi-five’d herself after that smooth greeting while trying her best to keep her straight composure. She wonders if Sana’s outstanding display of acting calm in front of her then-crush (Nayeon) during their freshman year is rubbing off on her.

 

Whoops, Momo reminds herself of Nayeon and Jihyo. She probably will get a beating from both of them after this, but at least it will be worth it.

 

Mina shows Momo the warmest grin she ever remember seeing, but Momo catches a glimpse of sadness beneath it. Mina takes a seat beside her at the high bar stool facing the vast window pane looking down the street. Mina says, “It is fine, I’m not here for that.”

 

Momo just prays that her milkshake can quickly come as she’s getting nervous by minutes. She feels a lump in . Damn it, she needs something to distract herself.

 

“This is about that accident.”

 

Mina doesn’t have to explain it, Momo already knows what she means.

 

“I apologize for running away from you, without telling you anything. I was—scared. I didn’t know what to do.”

 

“I couldn’t sleep thinking about that night,” Momo fiddles with the hem of her sweatshirt, “It was my fault, Mina. I shouldn’t have done that. I’m sorry.”

 

“No, it was not your fault,” Mina quickly denies. “It’s just, I was afraid.”

 

Momo listens closely as Mina continues, “I was afraid because I was not sure of my own feelings, Momo.”

 

Mina was never one to speak her mind into existence. She was a follower, her life has been filled with receiving things people provides and offers her way. It all changed one day when her parents believed that Mina should heed their words or else she would never make it out alive in this cruel world. Of course that kind of encouragements were actually common in the Myoui household—those harsh words and tight rules were proven successful in shaping the generations of the Myoui business heirs and heiress, including Mina’s parents and her older brother.

 

Mina never liked the way their family forced her against her own aspirations, so she rejected the laid out lifelong plan of shaping her into the ideal Myou business heiress and enrolled in JYP Uni taking Social Science—her family had wanted her to take Business major. Mina had undergone a cold war with her parents before she finally visited them again during Spring break.

 

That’s right, the spring break where Mina suddenly goes missing without any notice, not even to Nayeon or Jihyo. Momo was left wondering if that had anything to do with her kissing Mina, or with Mina’s encounter with Jeongyeon. Momo has assumed, for the majority of spring break, that Mina probably despises her.

 

“I was afraid then, but now I am willing to take the risk,” Mina’s eyes pierces into Momo’s own. “I’m tired of running away, Momo.”

 

Mina reaches Momo’s hand and places it over her heart. Momo watches her glowing radiance, no more hint of hesitation in her face. Momo lets herself indulge in Mina’s warmth, pulling Mina into her embrace. Momo’s heart is b with affection and love for Mina that she wants to shout to the whole word how much she loves Myoui Mina.

 

“One milkshake coming. Sorry this one takes too long,” Jihyo appears behind them, smiling from ear to ear. “You don’t have any idea how happy I am seeing you two finally made up.”

 

“Thankfully they did, because if not, we know whose I’ll beat tonight,” Nayeon jumps from behind the seating booth and joins them, dragging Sana along in her hand.

 

“If anyone is beating Momo tonight, it’ll be me first and foremost,” Sana jokes, but not without her blowing kisses to a pouting Momo.

 

Jihyo, Nayeon and Sana have been secretly watching them from the kitchen window since the beginning, witnessing everything unfolds right before their eyes.

 

“Jihyo and I would be out of our mind if we let you go alone, so of course we will follow you here. Sana just happens to be my girlfriend, so of course she’s coming as well,” Nayeon blows a wink toward Mina. In return, Mina just shakes her head at the ridiculous antics, but still appreciative of her friends.

 

The night continues as they share some light snacks and the new dessert menu that Jihyo has been meaning to show them. They also call Tzuyu to come over and proceed to hold a little celebration for Mina and Momo. Their chat drags long as Jihyo is in the middle of telling them a story where one of the senior hits on Sana but Nayeon quickly shuts him by making out with Sana in front of his eyes in one of Nayeon’s party. All of them breaks into laughter at how gross it was, and how devastated the senior must feel. “Poor Mark,” says Tzuyu with a straight face, while Momo quips, “Sana, look what you made her do.” In Nayeon’s defense, it was just a fair warning, and that anyone has to go over her literal dead body before they even try to get into Sana’s pants.

 

-/-

 

“That’s how it went with Jeongyeon,” Mina bits her lower lip as she feels Momo’s breath softly tickles her ear. Mina pulls Momo’s hands around her tighter as she rests her head on Momo’s shoulder comfortably. They are currently cuddling, with Momo being the big spoon. “Are you mad?”

 

“Nuh-uh. Why should I be mad when you’re just telling me the truth?” Momo snuggles closer as she buries her face in Mina’s hair. “Though I must admit I am a little jealous.”

 

“Don’t be. I am all yours now.”

 

Time flies by so fast whenever Momo and Mina is together. A few weeks ago Momo is still grieving on Mina, but now they’re laying together, bare legs tangled. Everything feels so surreal, Momo has Mina in her arms, grinning while planting a trail of soft kisses on Mina’s exposed skin.

 

“I’m really sorry about spring break.”

 

Mina turns around in Momo’s arm, her eyes casts a deep gaze into Momo’s own. Mina frowns as she recalls the nights where they’d stay up after Momo’s dance practice or Mina’s group project’s meet finished, laying on bed—much like tonight but a lot less skinship—talked about going to the amusement park together, to the camping site, or diving with dolphins on a faraway beach. She ruined it all after the confession. Things got awkward between Mina and Momo—and on top of that, Mina collides with Jeongyeon again. At the time Mina had to sort her feelings as she’s still not convinced about her feeling toward Momo, and how to cope with her past relationship that Jeongyeon single-handedly ended.

 

“It’s okay, you already tell me you had to—to clear your mind—It’s all for the better,” Momo Mina’s hair and draws a trail with her finger to her jaw. Momo runs her thumb across Mina’s lower lip, “I never really heard about the trip though.”

 

“Honestly I just wanted an escape from whatever happening here, but I ended up making up with my family along the way,” Mina pauses and grabs Momo’s hand, she kisses it softly. “After I explain myself to them and apologize, they just said it’s about time, and well, I realize I’ve been stubborn all this time when they just wish the best of things for me.”

 

“I’m sorry I couldn’t be there for you when you needed me most,” Momo closes the gap between them and plants a chaste kiss on Mina’s lips. Her heart leaps when she hears Mina laughs softly.

 

“It’s okay, but in return, you must be my side from now on.”

 

“Your wish is my command, princess,” Momo smiles teasingly, as she starts tickling Mina. They both engrossed in tickle war that ends with both of them showering kisses to each other.

 

Satisfaction washes over Mina as she finally lays herself bare of everything that holds her captive—her emotions and her turmoil of past relationship and her family. She can finally put all her stressful nights and endless crying to a stop. As long as Momo holds her close like this, she feels safe and whole.

 

In a small confined space of Momo’s bed they share, Mina dreams of talking endlessly about nothing and everything with Momo, to count the stars on Momo’s ceiling from the star projector—a present from Mina during last year’s Secret Santa.

 

( “A tennis ball ? For present?”

 

Momo carefully examines the round shaped gift with green wrapping and red ribbon on top that sits like a sore thumb among other wrapped boxesIt sure looks a little too big for tennis ball, but Momo couldn’t think of anything else at the moment. Momo, Mina, and the rest had gathered in Nayeon’s humble living room for Secret Santa and their last Christmas dinner before going home for winter break. Momo could hear Mina laugh endearingly at her remark.

 

“No, silly, open the wrap.”

 

 I don’t know what this is but I’m sure this is not edible,” Momo frowns as Mina watches her with amused look. “I had hopes that your present is a restaurant coupons or something.”

 

“You really do love food so much, huh?” Mina shakes her head as she admires Momo fumbling with the paper wrap. “That is a star projector. You can turn it on while it’s dark in your room. Like stargazing.”

 

“Okay, cool. You can help me setting it up in my room tonight,” Momo exclaims loudly, excited. Not as excited as Mina who blushes at her, “But this is like, very expensive, no?”

 

“You don’t need to worry about it. I’m Myoui Mina, remember?” Mina teases.

 

There’s a bitter taste on after that. She never brags about her family name because everyone always seem to know who she is beforehand. Momo is different though, because she never really considers the significance that Myoui name bears. Momo thinks it’s just like any other family names, and she doesn’t treat Mina any differently from her other friends just because she is a Myoui. It makes Mina happy that Momo befriends her simply because she’s Mina, not Myoui Mina.)

 

-/-

 

Mina has just arrived in front of Momo’s dorm when Momo swings the door open.

 

“I was just about to pick you up at your class,” Momo cracks a sheepish grin. “What’s with the rush?”

 

“Nothing, I just wants to meet my girlfriend so bad,” Mina sticks her tongue out in a teasing manner, and Momo is taken aback. Mina cradles Momo’s arm as they heads to the parking lot. “I skipped lunch earlier so now I’m starving.”

 

“I know you love me, but you don’t have to skip lunch if you’re so eager to eat with me,” Momo quips, earning a playful slap on her arm. Momo leans on the hood of her 2009 Range Rover, crossing her arms as she blocks Mina on her track, “I am starving, too. We shall eat meals, and then eat each other later.”

 

“Seriously, Momo, if I had known you’re this cheesy,” Mina rolls her eyes as she playfully shoves Momo away, then climbs on the passenger seat. Momo proceeds to sit behind the steering wheel, shifts the gear and the car accelerates off.

 

Troye Sivan’s voice singing ‘Fools’ breaks the silence inside the car as the car cruise silently. It is a comfortable silence—it’s like they’re in a trance—then Momo reminds herself of a memory just a couple of months ago where she and Mina would go on a rendezvous, cruising the town in her car while listening to an array of songs from the playlist they both created together.

 

Momo smiles as the song describes her perfectly, a fool who falls for one Myoui Mina. From the corner of her eyes, she catches how Mina settles comfortably against her seat, looking far out the window. Mina’s feature is accentuated by the yellow illuminating light alongside the road, and Momo discreetly releases a breath she doesn’t realize holding. Mina is like an art display she can stare at for hours—Momo doesn’t even like going to art gallery, and that says much about it.

 

“Eyes on the road, silly. I don’t wanna die yet,” Mina teases, caressing Momo’s hand on the gear stick.

 

Momo just shakes her head as she quips, “Don’t worry, my hands are quite skilled.” Momo raises their joined hands and gives it a kiss.

 

“I know that,” Mina averts her gaze back to the window to hide her rose cheeks. Momo laughs animatedly at that, receiving a sharp nudge on her ribs by Mina’s elbow. They laughs in unison, realizing how silly they act now.

 

Momo belongs to Mina, and she feels right at home with Mina. She swears to the deity above that she will make Mina happy with all her might because Mina’s happiness is her ultimate happiness.