Part I: once

One More Time

The past:

Mina isn’t sure when exactly did they start casually texting out of habit, but one thing Mina is sure that she starts to miss moments when her phone vibrates and there’s a new message alert from Momo. The two of them always had something to talk, even as random as a reddit post or exchanging cute Corgi videos to each other. Momo usually texts Mina in between her classes and before she goes to her sister’s dance studio.

 

During lunch, they can always gather at the cafeteria hall with the rest of their friends. Mina notices Momo stealing glances at her—because she’s also staring at Momo—and every time their eyes meet they will brush it off with awkward laugh.

 

“My Goodness. Stop ing with your eyes. It’s gross.”

 

Nayeon remarks drily, earning a dagger look from Momo but the girl ignores it. Mina’s sheepish grin tugs at the corner of her lips just as Sana playfully adds, “Get a room you two.”

 

“It’s you that should really get a room,” Momo quips matter-of-factly, glaring at Sana and Nayeon. Seems like her comment just make the two of them snuggle even closer to each other, and Momo rolls her eyes at that.

 

“You have any plans for the weekend? I’m going home to see my mom,” Nayeon comes to a halt for a brief second before she continues, “I’m going with Sana.”

 

Nayeon has been meaning to arrange her mom to meet with Sana. Nayeon really cares about her mom’s approval—like when Nayeon decides to move out of town to pursue law career just like her mom, and her mom is never been more proud of her before. After her dad’s decision to divorce because apparently her mom is too hardworking and doesn’t have any time for family anymore, Nayeon chooses her mom, and never turns her back ever since. She’s happy living with her mom, and she aspires to be a strong, independent figure like her mom.

 

If Nayeon is taking Sana to meet with her mom, it means Nayeon is serious. Mina can see clearly through Nayeon’s eyes. Nayeon is preparing herself to take it to the next step, and Mina is really happy for her friend, but it makes Mina’s heart drop when her friends’ relationship development reminds her own history with Jeongyeon.

 

Mina feels a lump in as she reminds herself of those months she spent wondering what she lacks of. Mina explores all the possibilities of Jeongyeon, and Mina visibly shivers when the image of that night suddenly intrudes her mind.

 

“Tell your mom I miss her, Nayeon,” Mina chucks a smile as she dismisses herself to her next class. From the corner of her eyes she sees Momo grabbing her own bag and bids them goodbye.

 

“Where are you going, Momoring?”

 

Sana beats Mina to it. Sana’s tone sounds childish and forms a deep frown—so cute that it makes the people around curl their toes—her hand hanging loosely around Momo’s wrist. Mina actually adores how Sana behaves around Momo—like a spoiled baby yet Momo never pays attention to her, always with curt replies or disgusted face.

 

“I’m going to my sister’s studio, stretch a bit there. I feel like if I stay here with you lovebirds, I will throw up my lunch.”

 

Momo waves them goodbye and skips to the opposite direction of Mina. Mina watches as Momo disappears behind the closed door of the cafeteria hall.

 

Mina’s heart clenches. “Someday. I will tell her someday.”

 

-/-

 

Nayeon and Jihyo provides the best support there is for Mina. The three of them go way back—going to the same middle school and high school—and it is a miracle the three of them goes to the same campus again.

 

( “I actually prepares my heart for if any of you fail the enrollment exam to JYP Uni. Yes, I’m looking at you Miss Im Nayeon.”

 

Everyone breaks into laughter and Nayeon shoots Jihyo a side-eyed dismay, but joins the others soon enough.

 

“I’m glad we’re reunited again! Here’s for even more fun in our college years!”

 

Jihyo is that one annoying friend who, no matter the circumstances, will abide the law—like no alcohol in any form of beverage until their coming of age ceremony. Jihyo also plays the role of responsible adult slash mom because she basically babysits Nayeon and Mina with their child-like antics, they love her so much nonetheless. When Jihyo raises her glass of ginger ale, the rest of them follow suit , holding up their glasses in a toast . They hold a celebration night for their enrollment exam result at Jihyo’s café.)

 

And now with the addition of Momo, Sana, and Tzuyu, Mina’s life is almost complete. They meet during their freshman year.

 

( “Mina. You’re Myoui Mina, right?”

 

Mina looks up from the book she’s currently reading and find s a very pretty girl extending her hand. Mina examines her hand for a split second before accepting the handshake, realizing this pretty girl is actually trying to socialize with her. It’s the first day of Uni, of course people wants to get familiar with people they’re going to meet for the rest of the semester. Making new friends won’t hurt, right?

 

“I’m Minatozaki Sana. I live next door. I didn’t know you take Professor Kim’s class too.” Sana explains. Mina can barely remembers someone as attractive as Sana living next to her in the dorm—the hectic day of moving into a new place and helping her friends are probably to blame.

 

Wait, I actually know you’re in this class because Momo pointed it out before. Momo is my friend , by the way . I’ll introduce her to you later.”

 

Sana has always been an extraordinary talker, Mina deduces. Compared to herself, Mina is shy and awkward around new people. Sana is the total opposite of her. Mina cannot fathom why someone as energetic and talkative as Sana would want to approach her. Rumor of how cold and quiet she behaves already circulates among the freshmen, despite this just the start of her freshman year. In reality, it’s just that Mina is too shy to even pick up a conversation with anyone. Mina still appreciates Sana’s gesture though..

 

“Hi, Sana. Let’s get along.” Mina nods and fixes her posture toward the screen projector when Professor Kim enters and begins the first class of her college years.)

 

-/-

 

Mina wishes she could tell Momo soon.

 

 

The present: 

Momo’s heart lurches when she hears that Mina is finally coming back to town. Sana, who was the messenger of this bad (or good?) news, flashes her the text message she got from Mina. Momo squints from the brightness of Sana’s phone screen in her dimly lit room. Sana fails to catch Momo’s expression fall because Momo has been practicing to control her expression because she knows this moment will eventually come.

 

Mina had suddenly left for Osaka at the start of spring break—she left without notice to anyone, including Momo. Momo remembers that it was just a couple of days after that fateful night. Her heart clenches in agony as she buries away the images of that night.

 

“Listen, Mina is coming back tomorrow and she asks me to pick her up at the airport.” Sana explains again in case Momo doesnt hear her the first time when she yells from the hallway of the undergrad students dorm. “But guess what, just my luck, my car is being towed for repair this morning, so I can’t.”

 

Momo lets out a deep, exasperated sigh at Sana who her eyebrows teasingly. Momo doesn’t entertain Sana’s idea to pick Mina up.

 

“I already have plans tomorrow with Tzuyu,” which translates to I don’t wanna have any business with Myou Mina anytime soon.

 

“I already checked with Tzuyu and she said she’s free tomorrow,” which means Momo is lying to Sana, and Sana knows exactly why.

 

Momo scowls and throws a side-eyed toward Sana before her hand reaches out for the car keys on her bedside table. “Here, use my car. Go pick her up and drive safely.”

 

Sana frowns, half expecting her fruitless attempt. She tries to reason with Momo again, but Momo rises from her bed and pushes Sana halfway toward the door and bid her goodnight.

 

-/-

 

Momo doesn’t let her effort to avoid Mina goes vain. She mentally reward herself with a pat on the shoulder for surviving the last few weeks she hadn’t seen Mina. It was the entirety of Spring break and the following week spent without hearing Mina’s alluring laugh or feeling Mina’s gentle touch whenever they’re in a close vicinity.

 

It will never cross Momo’s mind before that she’d be ignoring Myoui Mina, the girl who made her heart race and her cheeks blush. Momo thinks Mina is cruel, she fulfills her heart to the brim, but at the same time she shreds it into pieces.

 

Momo indeed has been avoiding Mina since the start of spring break.

 

Momo knows she’s been actively ignoring and avoiding Mina for the sake of her sanity. What she doesn’t know is that it actually drives Mina insanenot to see Momo.

 

-/-

 

Momo wishes her brain can focus on a more pressing matter like worrying about her attendance record for this Stats class she barely survive this semester because her class happens to be on Monday morning. Her life would’ve been easier if her friends doesn’t always drag her for a night out at Nayeon’s party to get faced on Sunday night.

 

Momo hate to admit that Nayeon’s party is basically where it all started. She’d meet with Mina frequently there—apart from some instances of bumping Mina on her way to classes. Throughout freshman year, Nayeon has successfully keep up a stellar reputation for throwing the best party ever at JYP Uni—thanks to her connections as one of the active members of the cheerleading squad and her humble mansion that her mom owns just a couple of blocks shy from campus. Everyone will definitely show up at Nayeon’s party, including her close circle. Momo knows all of them well enough now, but she really only has eyes for Mina in the first place.

 

(“Hi, I’m Momo,” Momo gathers all her courage to finally speak to one of the prettiest girl she has seen on campus. She offers her hand and she wishes that she washes her greasy hand before Mina welcomes it warmly. “I’m Sana’s friend.”

 

“I know you,” Mina chirps, a little too cheerful and giddy judging by the looks of her nonchalant, playful grin splayed across her face and her pink tinted cheeks. Momo isn’t sure if that has anything to do with the drink that Mina is holding in her hand or the rumors circulating around of Mina being cold and stuck up has been wrong this whole time. Momo brushes it off with a nervous laugh.

 

“You know that Nayeon, my veeeery dear friend, is hooking up with Sana, riiiight?” Mina’s finger leads to a direction where Momo can see Nayeon and Sana making out on the sofa. Gross, Momo thinks, but quickly brings her attention back to Mina who’s giggling beside her. “She-hic—always hang out with Sana now. Hic-I’m lonely. Kind of.”

 

Momo is struck with an alarming feeling when Mina’s hand loosely loop around her arm. She learns that drunk Mina is touchy-feely, which equal parts adorable and dangerous. That’s why from that moment on, Momo’s made it her mission to always come to Nayeon’s party—to herd off the creepy guys who try to get into Mina’s pants.)

 

Momo groans as she drags her feet to the bathroom using all the power she has left. She mentally curses herself for taking Stats class in Monday morning. Momo is the only one from their group who has class early on Monday, unless you count Tzuyu, but Tzuyu surprisingly has a high alcohol tolerance so she never suffer from the dread of hangover the morning after and always sucessfully made it to her morning class in one piece.

 

“The hell- you look like ,” Tzuyu addresses Momo as she dabs her cheeks with towel, “and apparently you reek like , too.”

 

Momo throws Tzuyu the finger and advances into one of the vacant shower booths.

 

“I know telling you this is useless judging by your current state of hangover from last night,” Tzuyu grimaces and hangs her towel around her neck before making her exit. “But make it quick, we got mini quiz today first thing in the morning.”

 

Momo lets out a loud exasperated sigh. She turns the knob of the shower off and grabs her toothbrush in a reckless attempt to cut her morning routine short, knowing that she cannot afford to miss the class and the quiz altogether.

 

-/-

 

Momo manages to barely pass the quiz and keep her eyes open during the lecture. On her way to the next class, she goes to a nearby vending machine to refuel herself with warm coffee. She thanks the deity above and whoever geniuses invented warm canned coffee—like the ones in Japan—because she can really use some caffeine right now. When she dives down to grab her canned coffee, she hears Mina calling her.

 

“Momo!”

 

Momo freezes in her spot. Her mind throws her into a loop of questions, why is Mina here? what should I do? do I look okay?

 

“I’ve been looking for you.”

 

Momo feels a sharp jab on her heart when she hears Mina. She watches Mina’s chest heaving up and down, proof that she is probably running around to search Momo everywhere before she finally finds her here.

 

“I gotta go,” Momo has no intention to hurt Mina with her curt reply, but Momo mentally reprimands herself when she sees Mina’s expression fall. “Sorry, I’m late for my next class.”

 

“It’s—uh, wait!” Mina raises her voice, “Momo, I—I need you to hear me out.”

 

Momo sees Mina’s eyes plead. Momo almost fall into the depth of her dark brown orbs, trying to find any meaning behind it. For a brief moment, Momo forgets that she’s avoiding Mina. She straightens her back as she replies,

 

“Mina, not now. Please.”

 

(“I thought you wouldn’t come!” Sana shrieks in delight, welcoming Momo with her arms spread wide. Momo tends to act first rather than thinking it through, that’s how she’s been living her life, and that’s how she reaches this point in her life where she is stuck in the middle of Mina’s homecoming party—which she believes overly dramatic to throw a party for—but hey, it’s Nayeon’s party, she has a knack for it.

 

“I know what you’re thinking, Momo,” Nayeon rolls her eyes at Momo, as if she can really read Momo’s mind. Before Momo can retaliate, Nayeon continues, “But Mina has never leave my side without notice before, let alone leaving for Osaka—her God forsaken hometown. Believe me when I say she hates going back home, because her parents always compares her with her older brother!”

 

Momo’s heart sinks when she hears that. Mina did tell her before that living away from her parents is her best decision in life. Momo never prods Mina on that subject further, because she’s afraid Mina will get defensive and uncomfortable over such sensitive topic. Now she knows why Mina hardly talks about her family. There must be something serious going on if Mina suddenly visits her parents back home, then.

 

“Guys! Here she comes, the star of tonight’s party! Everyone, makes way for Mina!”

 

Jihyo’s loud yell accompanied by rounds of clapping and whistles from across the room snaps Momo back into reality. She catches a glimpse of Mina—her face showing signs of exhaustion from the long hours of flight from Osaka—before Nayeon envelopes her into a tight embrace. Momo excuses herself into a secluded space of Nayeon’s mansion for the rest of the night while occasionally casting her longing gaze toward Mina—who doesn’t fail to catch Momo’s own gaze and offers her a weak smile.

 

Everyone might praise and worship Mina tonight—for being the sole purpose this party even happens in the first place—but Mina had hoped they all disappear into thin air except Momo. There’s a twist in Mina’s stomach every time she catches a glimpse of Momo in her vicinity, but Momo clearly makes her act of avoiding Mina’s presence goes noticed.

 

Little did Momo knows, Mina stays sober the whole night, keeping a safe distance while talking to people, and enduring a bare minimum effort to mingle with everyone else in her homecoming party.)

 

Momo has successfully escaped from Mina two times—that time when Sana asks her to pick MIna at the airport, last night at Nayeon’s party—but now Momo realizes that she cannot run away forever. Momo sends her an apologetic look before she tries, “Meet me at Jihyo’s café tomorrow night. We can talk there.”

 

Momo notices how Mina’s face perks up immediately, and Momo already regrets her decision. She’s actually not ready to face Mina—not now, not anytime soon—but she cannot bail from her own words.

 

-/-

 

Momo sometimes wonder what she will be doing if Sana is not here beside her. If there’s anyone in this world that she can trust aside from Hana, Momo’s older sister, then it’s definitely Sana. People says they’re joined at the hip, and it’s not an exaggeration—despite the differences they possess—like how Sana is the more delicate and can express herself well while Momo is tenacious, reckless, and has hardship conveying her feelings.

 

Sana shows love and affection as she showers Momo in kisses and hugs—which Momo secretly likes, but she would rather die than admits it—and it is the same thing as Momo buying her food and medicine when Sana falls sick.

 

It may look simple, but they practically has gone through ups and downs together. Papa Hirai works for Japan foreign affair in the US, and the family decides to settle there. Momo has no friends around her age until she finds Sana. Papa Minatozaki is a divorcee—by death—and has venture overseas, so he juggles between being a decent dad for his only daughter and a viable businessman. Without any relatives or friends that lives close, most of Momo’s childhood is spent with Sana. The bond between them grows from there.

 

Sana understands that Momo needs time to think, and now Momo finally opens up to Sana—that she already confessed to Mina. Momo tells her that it happened just before the start of the spring break.

 

It was the day Momo finally go on an official date with Mina. Sana listens closely and sometimes nods as Momo carry on with her stories. Momo says it all went according to what she had planned—a game arcade date—after consulting her plan with Nayeon.

 

( “Movie date?“ Nayeon scoffs, she wears a teasing smirk on her lips. “Trust me, Mina would rather stay in her room reading books rather than going to cinemas to watch movie.”

 

Momo sends Nayeon incredulous look and hesitates for the credibility of this insider info. Momo can’t tell if this is just one of Nayeon’s prank to jeopardize her only shot at asking mina out—but she doubts Nayeon will go that far. Nayeon simply wants to protect Mina from a stranger (Momo) as they all agree Mina is fragile and soft and should be protected at all cost, but this is Momo they’re talking of.

 

“Oh come on. Stop messing with me. I let you date Sana!” Momo pointed her chin toward Sana who is watching this exchange with amusing look.

 

“Well, Sana pick me because she can clearly see who’s the hottest one in the room.” Nayeon blows Sana a kiss before continues, “Anyway, don’t drag Sana in this. We’re talking about Mina, she’s my most precious friend. I won’t let you lay your hand anywhere near her if it means you hurting her, Hirai.”

 

If only Momo (and Nayeon) knows that Mina will say yes in a heart beat to a movie date if it means spending time without talking for more than an hour together with Momo. )

 

“Do you still love her though?” Sana asks, concern etches in her tone.

 

“What do you think?” Momo returns the question back to Sana as they stare into each other’s eyes. Sana knows Momo long enough to tell the answer. “I’m starting to go crazy any minute, thinking all this—all about Mina.”

 

Sana squeezes Momo’s shoulder in reassuring manner, “Don’t worry, you have me. We will go through this together.”

 

-/-

 

The past:

 It’s like a thunder struck her that afternoon. Mina cannot believe her eyes. She can immediately spot that figure walking toward her direction from a busy traffic of students filing out from classes. Mina still recognizes the crescent shape of her eyes as her genuine smile on full display on her lips. This is the face that she used to admire from up close, but now Mina resent the sight of her.

 

“Jeongyeon? What are you-“

 

“We have spring break earlier in Barcelona than here, so I am taking a vacation now.”

 

The open wound in her heart aches at the mention of Barcelona. Mina recalls from one of their dates that Jeongyeon mentions coming to Barcelona to pursue her culinary career. It reminds Mina of how Jeongyeon never considers asking her opinion about continuing her studies overseas. Mina still thinks it’s also her own fault for not asking it first, but she knows it’s all in the past.

 

“So, Social Science, huh? I never—it’s just, I always imagine you taking over the Myoui family business once you graduate, so I thought for sure you’d pick Accounting.”

 

Jeongyeon waits for her reply but Mina only laughs weakly at that. Mina’s mind suddenly recalls the night of lounging idly on Momo’s bed while watching Momo—waiting her—to finish her paper. Mina remembers talking to Momo about her major then.

 

(That night, Momo has invited Mina to her room. Mina is pumped up, clearly looking forward to any activities they will be doing in the confined space of Momo’s room, which is actually only a building apart from hers. She actually cannot wait for it because she grows tired of Nayeon’s teasing about her and Momo that, according to Nayeon, ‘not gonna go anywhere’.

 

“So, what’s up?” Mina finally says once she’s in Momo’s bedroom. She tries her best not to look too enthusiastic.

 

“My paper’s what’s up. I need to get it done by tomorrow and I am stuck,” Momo whines, and Mina swears she wants to hug Momo in her hopeless state right now.

 

“Okay, so you summon me here only to help you with your paper?” Mina her eyebrow in confusion.

 

“No. I want to hang out with you tonight, believe me, I really do. But then Tzuyu reminds me of this,” Momo shows Mina the pile of papers on her desk. “Seriously, who the hell thinks it is okay to manually write a 400-words paper when Bill Gates already invented laptop for the sole purpose of that!?”

 

Mina laughs at Momo’s childish antic. Mina holds her hands up in a cheering manner, then she purses her lips at Momo’s bed, “There’s nothing much I can do, so I’ll support you from the sidelines.”

 

After what feels like a long stretch of time, Momo is finally done with her paper and sets it aside but without making sure she won’t forget to bring it to class tomorrow. She lets out a relieved sigh, then she launches onto the bed beside Mina.

 

A few minutes has passed, and Momo is now engrossed to Mina who goes on a neverending rambling about the reason she takes Social Science and her future plan of managing the Corporate Social Responsibility division within the Myoui family company—handling charities and fundraisingsfor children in poverty and hunger, much like ‘Save The Children’ organization. It’s her dream to run the philantrophy part of the Myoui businessbecause while it’s a great PR for the company, it also helps raise a good cause. So it’s a win-win solution—she handles the CSR while her older brother takes care of the COO role.

 

 Oh, cool! You’re gonna be like Tony Stark!” Momo exclaims enthusiastically, and Mina looks at her amused.

 

“You mean Iron Man?”

 

“Yeah! He’s a philanthropist too!”

 

“But I’m not cocky like him.”

 

“At least he gets to fly in Iron Man suits.”)

 

“What about you, Chef Yoo? I haven’t heard much from you either.”

 

It’s only been 1 and a half year since their breakup, and Mina curses herself because a small part of her heart still wishes that Jeongyeon would at least give her an explanation. Mina realizes that in their relationship, Jeongyeon would always be the first to act. Jeongyeon was the one who asked her out—Mina was on cloud nine because finally her lifetime-crush recognized her not-so-secret feeling that she had—Jeongyeon was also the one who broke the ties between them first.

 

“Being a chef, or learning to become one, comes hand in hand with taking a ridiculous amount of care toward yourself. Look at my nails, perfectly manicured.”

 

Mina gulps at the sight of Jengyeon’s lithe hands. It ignites the gear inside her head and brings her the images of Jeongyeon she’d rather not visit now.

 

( Mina, are you sure about this?”

 

Jengyeon’s fingers linger on Mina’s waistband before she feels Mina’ s small nod against the crook of her neck. Mina inhales a sharp breathe when her bare hip finally came in contact with Jeongyeon’s delicate fingers. T hose fingers slowly traces random patterns before it goes inside Mina.

 

“Just tell me if it hurts.” )

 

Mina burns her gaze on the columns outside of Liberal Arts building, taking mental notes that there are 8 columns in total. It is a futile attempt to distract herself from the images of Jeongyeon. Mina prays to the deity above that Jeongyeon doesn’t have the ability to read Mina’s mind because now her head is filled with Jeongyeon’s breathless whimper—

 

“I actually hate having to go back and forth here and Barcelona, you know?”

 

Mina snaps back into reality. She looks mildly surprised, but she waits until Jeongyeon continues.

 

“Because no matter how much passion and love I have for cooking, I love it being here. I miss being here. So ing much.”

 

I miss being here with you, Mina.

 

Mina catches the small frown before Jeongyeon quickly replaces it with a weak laugh. There is a huge desire—of aching and longing—that washes over Mina to pull Jeongyeon into a tight embrace right now, but for the sake of her sanity, she halts herself.

 

The casual chat with Jeongyeon is actually less painful than Mina has imagined before. It doesn’t end with both of them in a pile of crying mess, and they don’t stab each other to death.

 

After taking a long stride around campus and reminiscing about the past, Mina and Jeongyeon sit on the bench at one of the campus’ park. Mina takes this chance to examine Jeongyeon’s appearance from much closer distance. How long has it been, she asks herself. Jeongyeon from her old memories has a short, blonde hair, donning a ragged denim jacket, and sometimes wears specs for fashion.

 

Jeongyeon still wears the specs but she now has her hair dark brown, tucked behind her ear and hanging just above her shoulders. Mina notices it’s longer than the last time they met. The night Jeongyeon said good bye.

 

Mina promises herself to never cry in front of Jeongyeon, and she’s not gonna start now. Their rift in the past was painful enough—not talking for more than eight months, no news, no nothing—and seeing Jeongyeon now, able to approach her, to make amends and treating each other like that night never happened actually tugs at Mina’s jagged heart.

 

(It is Jeongyeon’s decision to break up. It was too sudden, and Mina feels like she was ditched—alone and without choice. Mina begs to differ, arguing that if Jeongyeon fails to explain her what is the cause of their break up then she won’t have it. Jeongyeon hates how Mina pins her into a situation where she has to choose between two of the most important things in her life.

 

Jeongyeon’s word is final. She chooses her dream.

 

Mina cries so hard in Nayeon’s arms that night, just a couple hours before Jeongyeon’ s departure to Barcelona. Nayeon has sworn herself to protect Mina from everything bad in this world—including Jeongyeon , especially from Jeongyeon. )

 

-/-

 

When the words spread like wildfire between their friends' circle that Jeongyeon is back in town and appears herself in front of Mina, Nayeon fumes with anger.

 

“I cannot believe this! Mina didn’t tell me anything!” Nayeon throws a puzzled look toward Jihyo who sits across the table, and Jihyo just shrugs her shoulders.

 

“She didn’t tell me either—wait, did she tell Momo?”

 

Nayeon immediately shoots a concerning look toward Momo and Sana who just arrive from their last class for the day. Momo hangs her head low as she takes a seat beside Jihyo. Sana can already feel the air between them turns thicker as Nayeon and Jihyo exchanging glances. Jeongyeon, Nayeon whispers softly to Sana. Sana just nods accordingly.

 

The four of them are having a lunch quietly and everything seems normal, except for the awful acting Momo put up, trying to conceal her misery. Nayeon and Jihyo have been friends for quite some time with Momo that they can see something is wrong with Momo, while Sana—well Sana is Sana, and she can easily tell.

 

Momo knows.

 

“Um—I, well I don’t know if you heard, but. Uh—Momo, this is abou-“ Sana grimaces as she braces herself of what’s to come, but she only watches Momo quietly takes a bite of her lunch. Nayeon can’t stand watching her girlfriend stuttering her words amicably, so she cuts her off,

 

“Jeongyeon is back in town. You know?”

 

Momo glances up from her lunch to Nayeon, nodding her head. “She—Well, I actually saw them together.”

 

Jihyo almost chokes on her own meal when she hears it. Nayeon sends glances to Sana who pales in her seat. The three of them immediately understands what Momo means.

 

Momo didn’t hear it directly from her, she saw them!—their minds said in unison.

 

Jihyo pulls Momo into a comforting embrace, and urges Nayeon and Sana to find something else to talk. Anything to cheer up Momo because Jihyo can sense Momo is on the brink of breaking into tears any seconds now.

 

“So, spring break is coming. Any plan?” Nayeon begins, earning a bemused look from Jihyo, then Sana gesturing her that she should change the topic to anything but Spring break—because they know Momo is supposedly spending her spring break with Mina.

 

“My café will have a new dessert soon, I’ll make sure you guys are the first to try,” Jihyo tries, feeling hopeful when she sees Momo’s mood is lifted a little upon hearing something food related.

 

“Don’t worry too much about me, guys. I’m fine.”

 

Momo claims with reassuring look, but it doesn’t make their friends lose the concerned look on their faces. Momo can’t blame anyone, she brings herself upon this. She is at fault for not paying attention to the signs that Mina clearly tries to show. When Mina walked out on her that night after the confession, Momo knows her life’s doomed.

 

-/-

 

Mina seeks peace in the most mundane thing. Mina has a hobby of collecting scented candles—from the boutique exclusive candle ones to the ones they sell at Ikea. Mina lights the aromatic candle she receive from Nayeon’s Secret Santa last year. Its scent wafts and lingers in her room and it helps soothe her mind. Her mind has been preoccupied with too many things at once the past couple of days—Professor Kim’s class project, Jeongyeon, and Momo.

 

Mina’s heart tugs at the mention of Momo. She had forgotten about Momo. She bits her lower lips as she recalls the night she shared with Momo, before they’re now ignoring each other.

 

When Mina picks up her phone to text Momo, she hears Nayeon’s voice from her slightly ajar door. She watches as Nayeon, hand on her hips, barges in without even knocking first.

 

Mina raises her hand at Nayeon. “Okay, before you yell at me, before you curse at me, I will let you know beforehand that I deserve it. But first, allow me to explain to you,” Mina fires her words quickly, and Nayeon silently complies.

 

“I know you’ve probably heard—that Jeongyeon and I met—we just talk, but that’s it. Nothing more.”

 

The image of Nayeon holding her crying figure flashes in Mina’s eyes. Mina was afraid. But now, Jeongyeon cannot hurt her again, Mina won’t allow herself to fall into the despair twice by the same person. She’s stronger, and she has Momo now.

 

Mina has Momo.

 

“Did you see Momo today? I couldn’t find her anywhere,” Mina swipes open her phone and then frowns when she finds Momo hasn’t been answering her text. In fact, Momo hasn’t read any of her messages.

 

“We met during lunch,” Nayeon pauses, debating with herself if she should disclose to Mina that Momo saw her and Jeongyeon the other day.

 

“I just wanna know if she’s okay or not, because apparently she’s been ignoring my text,” Mina laughs weakly. She stares at Nayeon to search for answers. Nayeon only shrugs.

 

“You should talk to her,” Nayeon encourages her. “Both of you need to talk.”

 

Nayeon is right, Mina thinks as she watches Nayeon says something about Sana then disappears behind the closed door of her room. Mina unlocks her phone, her thumb hovers over Momo’s numbers before her own ringtone goes off.

 

Jeongyeon’s, her phone flashes.

 

“Hi, Mina.”