chapter 3

i'm only one call away

 

Twenty minutes later, Jongdae stood gripping the handle of his suitcase tightly. Minseok’s here. It felt like he was in a dream. The darkness behind the windows had the reflection of the bustling crowd around him plastered on the glass. Jongdae glanced around at the mass hoarding the baggage area, hoping to find the familiar face of Minseok. His phone buzzed.

 

Minseok: which baggage claim are you at? He looked up, craning his head to see the number above the baggage claim

 

Jongdae: 13

 

Minseok: I see it !! omw

 

Jongdae internally screamed. He was finally here. He was finally doing it. He was going to see Minseok for the first time. After checking his phone for any new messages, he started rocking on his feet, taking a deep breath. Just as he was about to look again, a familiar voice from behind had him choking.

 

“Jongdae!”



 

Three months earlier


 

He had it all planned out. A day before he had casually asked about it in their conversation, and made sure Minseok didn’t catch onto his idea.

 

“Are you doing anything this summer?” Minseok had his red basketball hoodie on and was looking so snuggly it physically hurt Jongdae’s soul.

“Well I’m working in June and halfway through July, and I’m going to Changwon to visit some relatives in August.”

 

A small window, but an opportunity nonetheless.

 

Three weeks later, Jongdae had his plane ticket ordered. He was taking off at the Ottawa International Airport at 8:00 AM, and with a 16 hour flight, would land at 12:00 AM KST. A true feat to come out half alive. With his ticket printed in his hand, he proceeded to call Minseok on facetime. His hands were shaking with excitement, and he bit his lips to keep from grinning like a fool.

 

Minseok’s sleepy face appeared on the screen. Jongdae calculated that it was midnight his time, but he hoped he could make up for the timing with his news.

“Hey baby.”

 

Jongdae had to duck off screen for a second to gather his wits and compose himself with deep breaths.

 

“Are you okay?” Jongdae ignored the question and started right into his speech.

 

“So, Min. I have to confess something. I’ve been hiding a secret for a few weeks.” His boyfriend furrowed his eyebrows and opened his mouth to respond. Jongdae didn’t have the willpower to control his words anymore.

 

“What kin-”

 

“I BOUGHT A TICKET TO COME AND SEE YOU.” Minseok was stunned into silence for two seconds.

 

“WHAT?”

 

Jongdae fell into a burst of laughter and held up his ticket that was clutched in his hand. Minseok covered his mouth with his hands and started saying strings of ‘oh my god oh my god oh my god.’ Jongdae laughed at his reaction.

 

“You’re so cute, Min.”

 

He instantly got red and hid his entire face.

 

“I’m not cute,” he mumbled behind his hands.


 

“CUTE.” Minseok whined loudly and told him to shut up, hiding his smile with a pillow.

 

Three months later


 

Jongdae hobbled out the plane chute and stepped off by the chairs to text Minseok.

 

Jongdae: just landed :D

 

Minseok: I’m almost to the airport! Can’t wait to see you ❤

 

Jongdae would be lying if he said his heart wasn’t doing somersaults and stabbing itself repeatedly. Passengers streaming from behind him zoned him back into reality, that he realized they were going to the baggage claim.



 

Twenty minutes later, Jongdae stood gripping the handle of his suitcase tightly. Minseok’s here. It felt like he was in a dream. The darkness behind the windows had the reflection of the bustling crowd around him plastered on the glass. Jongdae glanced around at the mass hoarding the baggage claim, hoping to find the familiar face of Minseok. His phone buzzed.

 

Minseok: which baggage claim are you at? He looked up, craning his head to see the number above the baggage claim

 

Jongdae: 13

 

Minseok: I see it !! omw

 

Jongdae internally screamed. He was finally here. He was finally doing it. He was going to see Minseok. After checking his phone for any new messages, he started rocking on his feet, taking a deep breath. Just as he was about to look again, a familiar voice from behind had him choking.

 

“Jongdae!”

 

The man whipped around so fast he thought he was going to fall down.

 

He wished he could say it happened like in the movies with slo mo and perfect music to set the vibe, but all he got when he turned was a face full of puffy coat. The arms around him squeezed him so hard that he thought he was going to burst a lung, but honestly Jongdae wouldn’t have traded that feeling for all the riches in the world. Without even having seen Minseok’s face yet, he wrapped his arms around his boyfriend and breathed in.

 

Minseok pulled back, and they saw each other for the first time without a barrier between them. Jongdae recognized Minseok’s feline eyes first. Warm and brown, that also had tears in them. Jongdae lifted his hand and wiped under his eyes. He didn’t even know he was crying too until Minseok dried his tears with a finger. They stood there, arms gripping the other, grinning with the occasional nose sniff. No words had been spoken yet, but no words were needed right now.

 

Jongdae was the first to lean in. He was slow, just in case Minseok wanted to back away. Instead, he beat Jongdae to the challenge. Minseok’s lips smashed into his own, catching Jongdae by surprise. Instantly, Jongdae felt on cloud 9. Minseok’s lips were soft as clouds, and Jongdae didn’t know how good kissing felt until now. Now that he got he got a taste, he felt that could never stop. After what felt like forever of pure bliss, Minseok pulled away and pecked Jongdae’s nose, much to the reluctance of Jongdae and his small whining. Wrapping an arm around Jongdae’s waist, he gripped the handle of his suitcase.

 

“Let’s head home.”