Yongsun

A Star is Born

"How do you like LA so far?" Byulyi asked. Solar had taken Byulyi to a different bar around the area and they were sipping on their own drinks slowly. The place was pretty quiet for a Thursday night. Country music was playing through the speakers. As usual, people were looking their way, pointing and whispering to each other. The Solar Effect - Byulyi decided to call it.

Solar looked around before answering, never forgetting to smile and nod at those looking her way, "It's a great place. I should tour here more." 

"I'm surprised you don't. You're clearly very big here."

"Ha, I guess. What a shame, I grew up here too. I'll bring it up to Hwasa," Solar added, "She is my manager."

"You don't visit home often, I'm guessing?"

"Nothin' left to visit - my mom died during my birth and my dad passed when I was about 12. Never had much of a family despite him making a few different ones, unless you count being drinking buddies with your father a family activity," Solar simply brushed off before asking the bartender for another drink. As she did, Byulyi let herself just stare at Solar - she didn't really quite know how to respond, although she does understand what losing a family member feels like. 

And Byulyi kept staring. As much as she appreciated Solar acknowledging her talent and giving her nothing but encouraging words, she was still a little in shock that she is in this particular bar on this random night with Solar. However, she was still skeptical. It's not hard to tell that Solar has a drinking problem. Byulyi wonders how long it's been going on for, and how long it goes on for.

"Tell me more about yourself, Byulyi," Solar leaned back in her chair with her drink held up and looked at Byulyi expectedly, interrupting Byulyi's thoughts.

"I mean... There isn't really much to say about me. I don't live a very extravagant life. I'm sure you've met and heard plenty more exciting things from others," Byulyi started, "Not sure what I would really talk about. You already know I do music on that stage back there," She gestured in the direction of the bar she works at, "I'm stuck in their back kitchen otherwise."

"You from around here?"

"Born and raised, never left."

"Do you want to leave?"

"No, not exactly." Byulyi frowned. 

"Family?" Solar raised her eyebrow.

"Just... My father," Byulyi didn't really want to keep talking about this topic. She put her drink down and threw her hands up. "My goodness, what is going on-"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean... I'm sitting here, in this bar I've never been to before, on a Thursday night with Solar-" 

"Call me Yongsun."

"What?"

"Yongsun," Solar repeated, "Solar is for those that don't really know me."

"I don't really know you...Oh." 

There was a moment of silence as Byulyi realized Sol-Yongsun's intentions. Byulyi's heart pounded - maybe it was the alcohol, maybe it was really an attraction she had towards this woman sitting in front of her, looking at her with a triumphant grin on her beautiful face.

"C'mon Byulyi," Yongsun gave Byulyi a little playful elbow nudge. 

"Just Byul is fine," Byulyi finally managed to say, quietly.

Yongsun paused, then smiled even wider.

"I think you'll make it big if you kept doing music seriously, Byul-" Yongsun started, but was interrupted by a man walking up to them, clearly drunk.

"Hey! Look, I know I'm not supposed to do this but, goddamn," The man swayed as he held his hand out, offering a handshake, which Yongsun did not take. "Nice to meet you, Solar. I hope you don't mind but I just really gotta take a photo of you-"

Byul tensed up - she couldn't stand this kind of behaviour.

"-My ex left me to someone that looks just like you and I gotta take a photo to show her. She'll flip the out-"

"Uh, sorry for your loss but I think I'm good," Yongsun started to get up from her chair and reached for Byul's hand to bring her along.

"C'mon just a quick photo," the man was already taking out his phone, trying to pull up his camera. A small crowd was gathering now, watching the drama unfold.

Byul was furious. She shook off Yongsun's hand and walked right up to the man, putting her face directly in-line with his. 

"She said, she does not want her photo taken," Byul annunciated every word as clearly as possible in the most threatening way she could put it.

"Who the are you to tell me what Solar wants-"

"Hey!" Yongsun was getting angry too. "Leave her alone-"

"OUCH! WHAT THE ?!" 

Before any of them can react, Byul had punched the man in the right jaw, hard.

A mess ensued. People crowded around them and tried to pry Byul off the man. Some people separated him from her and some people held her back. In the end, Yongsun resorted to scooping Byul up from underneath her arms and carried her out of the bar forcefully.

"I'm not done with him, this er-" Byul thrashed and kicked around in Yongsun's hold, trying to free herself so she can pounce on the guy again.

"Nope, we're done here. We're leaving," Yongsun held onto Byul tightly and kept heading for the door, determined to get Byul away from this situation as fast as possible while feeling sorry that she had put Byul through this.