Epilogue

Heirs to the Thrones

WARNING: MENTIONS OF MATURE CONTENT. But nothing graphic, though

 

 

“I really don’t get this” Sooyoung retorted out loud.

Sungjae didn’t lift his head from his phone. He was checking his emails, but he answered, “Just because you don’t understand something, it doesn’t mean it’s wrong.”

“Hem.”

Sungjae chuckled at her and began replying his emails. Basically, his replies were, “Good, proceed”, “I need the details on the winter promotion program. Make sure I’ll get it tomorrow” or, “Too many loopholes. They’re trying to bring us down. Reject everything.”

All replies were to his secretary.

“All my memories of you from high school were of how much you hated me.”

“I didn’t hate you. I just wanted to always win against you, there’s a huge difference in that.”

“Are you saying that between trying to beat me as the smartest in our year—“

“Which I did, three times.”

“I was the smartest three times as well. We were even, don’t you think I forgot.”

“I was valedictorian.”

“Oxford accepted me first.”

Sungjae smiled at that, “Right. You were saying?”

“I was saying, if you said you liked me since high school, you hid it really well.”

He shrugged.

“I wasn’t supposed to like you.”

“So that’s not a serious feeling.”

“What gave you the idea I wasn’t seriously liking you?”

“You always have girlfriends, Yook Sungjae.”

“And you were always with that stupid Park Chanyeol, Park Sooyoung.”

“He’s not stupid. He’s a surgeon.”

“He’s a second son. I’m the only son in my family.”

“And then you got engaged to that Kim Sohyun-ssi.”

“And you to that Kim Taehyung jerk.”

“My parents asked me to.”

“My parents asked me to as well.”

“But you never liked her?”

“It was obvious since the start that she didn’t want the engagement. She had her own boyfriend. She’s really grateful when I called her this morning, when I told her I’d officially break the engagement.”

“Are your parents angry?”

“My father is giving me the silent treatment, but you’re richer than Kim Sohyun, so in the end he’ll agree.”

“He’s always nice to me.”

“He’s brought up to be polite, that’s all.”

Sooyoung looked at him thoughtfully, a glass of wine in her hand, her legs folded beneath her.

After snatching her from her annoying Sunday family lunch, Sungjae brought her to a jeweller, bought her an engagement ring, carried her to his apartment, made love to her, then fed her some sushi, delivered from the nearest five-star hotel.

She was at the moment wearing his white shirt, on his couch and drinking his wine.

He had to confess he liked the view. His penthouse looked a lot prettier with her inside it.

“And all those Caucasian girls you dated in Oxford..........”

“You were paying attention?”

“I mean, you were popular, how can I not hear the rumours?”

“I attended the same classes with you. Went to the same parties you went. I even ate at the same restaurants with you.”

“Right. You once ate the last portion of mushroom sandwich in that little cafe I liked so much! I begged you to give it to me but you refused!”

“You were with your fiancé that day. I was annoyed with you.”

“I hated you so much that day.”

“Fair enough. I was really jealous that day. We’re even.”

“.............what if Kim Taehyung never had an affair? Would you let me marry him?”

“............you already said you’ll marry me. You won’t change your mind, right?”

“Why? Did you do something bad?”

It’s her instinct as a shrewd businesswoman. She recognized Sungjae’s tone. The tone of someone who’s planning something behind her back.

“The girl Kim Taehyung had an affair with, was a model. I made her got accepted by Kim Taehyung’s HR.”

Sooyoung stared at him, aghast.

“That day in the cafe in Oxford, when I didn’t give you the mushroom sandwich, you arrived later than him. I saw him making out with the waitress before you arrived.”

Sooyoung was speechless.

“He’s a jerk. I knew it since then. I knew that if he has an attractive woman around him, he’d betray you. And he really did.”

“Why didn’t you just—approach me since a long time ago?”

“I don’t know. Maybe I was afraid you’d reject me. And I thought you really loved him.”

“.........were you the one who made his pictures with that secretary leaked, then?”

“Of course. Dispatch is surprisingly cheap.”

“You’re completely insane!!!” she exclaimed loudly, banging his crystal wine glass, then standing up and pacing around.

She wasn’t wearing a bra and her legs looked so tempting from his seat on the couch. Her hair, highlighted dark brown, was streaming down her back. She looked completely inviting that he found his throat really dry.

“You could’ve just approached me like a normal guy, Yook Sungjae!”

“I could have, but where’s the fun in that?”

She turned at him menacingly.

“What guarantee do I have that you’ll never cheat on me?”

“I want you since high school. Why would I cheat on you now that I have you?”

“If you dare cheat on me, Yook Sungjae, I’ll sleep with your best friend.”

Sungjae threw his head back and laughed at that.

“That’s scary enough, Park Sooyoung. I’ll never cheat on you. I swear on that. Come back here and sit down. You said we’d talk like adults.”

Sooyoung returned and sat on the other end of the couch.

“Let’s choose a wedding date.”

Sooyoung blinked.

“Do you realize we started to really talk only a month ago?”

“I do” he replied, opening the calendar in his phone and showing the dates three months from then.

“Choose a day, Park Sooyoung.”

“I need to ask my secretary when I have a weekend off.”

“Call her now” he urged. There’s something in his tone that made her relented.

“I need to find my handbag” she announced, getting up from the couch.

They were kissing furiously when they arrived and she might have thrown her handbag near his front door.

Yes, she was right. It was thrown near the door.

She called Irene and asked when was her free weekend three months from then on.

“Thanks.”

“Would you like to schedule something on that day, Ms. Park?”

“Ne. I’m getting married on that day.”

She walked back to Sungjae’s sitting room just in time to make him hear that.

He grinned hearing it.

“What??? You’re getting married on that day? With who?” her secretary shrieked.

“I’ll get back to you later” Sooyoung said, hanging up.

Sungjae then called his own secretary.

“Ilhoon-ssi, please prepare a press conference tomorrow. Invite all the medias you can.”

“Right away, Sajangnim. What would you like to announce?”

“I’m getting married.”

“Oh, I thought you broke up with your fiancé.”

“I did.”

“Then—“

“I’m marrying Park Sooyoung.”

“...........of FYO company?”

“The one and only.”

“But—I thought you’re rivals?”

“No one said I can’t marry a rival, right?”

“But—“

“I’ll get back to you later, Ilhoon-ssi.”

He hung up.

She was standing in front of him, still with that thoughtful look. Still not believing what’s happening, yet going along with it anyway.

“You look good in my shirt” he commented.

Sooyoung looked down at herself.

“I think it’s time to take it off, though.”

“We’re not done talking, Yook Sungjae.”

He got up and walked to her.

“We can resume talking afterwards.”

He ed the shirt, then led her back to the couch.

****************************************************

“Do you want children immediately?”

“........I want it when you want it.”

“Can we have children after I got my history degree?”

“Ahrasseo. But can you study in Seoul, and not abroad?”

Sooyoung turned to him.

It was two hours later. They were lying on his bed, continuing their discussion.

“Alright.”

Sungjae turned and took a good look at her. They had a sheet covering them, and her makeup was gone. But damn, she looked so devastatingly beautiful.

“If I take a break from my company, will you manage it for me?”

“I will.”

“Will you handle it like I want to?”

“Yes.”

“Do you mean it?”

“I do. I’ll report everything to you, Boss” he said, slipping his arm beneath her and pulled her by the waist.

She chuckled.

“If you really mean it, I’d.....like to take a one year break.”

“And what would you do?”

“Travel Europe. Visit all the museums that I want. Read all the white caption cards.”

“Ok. As long as you marry me first and let me visit you regularly.”

She beamed and nodded.

“Make your pre-nup contract as soon as you can, Sooyoung-ah. I want you to be completely sure of me.”

“I’ll meet my lawyers tomorrow.”

“Good” he murmured, kissing her lips and pressing her body with his.

“Third time? Really?”

“Really” he replied, kissing down her neck.

***********************************************

The CEO couple held their wedding the next October, with a set of traditional Korean ceremonies and an international wedding banquet, thousands of their employees and colleagues attending.

Sungjae arranged a two weeks holiday for himself, and he spent it with her at Waldorf Astoria Versailles, a luxurious hotel across Versailles.

Sooyoung loved it so much they visited the palace daily.

He then left her in Paris, to begin her one year pilgrimage over all the museums she wanted to visit in the continent.

Sungjae convinced her to have the sabbatical year with her secretary, Irene and two male bodyguards.

At first Sooyoung refused to bring Irene, since she was supposed to help him in guiding her company when she’s away, and helping Ilhoon to understand everything quickly.

Sungjae insisted that the two secretaries could always talk and discuss over the phone and online. He just didn’t want her to be alone in Europe.

She finally agreed after he reminded her that he’s not some wild, ordinary single girl, but the sole heiress of Park family and now his wife. If anyone wanted a high ransom, she’d be the perfect fit.

****************************************************

They met in Verona nine months later.

She was wearing a black tank top and a red miniskirt, carrying a handful of carnations.

He could see her chatting with a cheerful expression to the old lady who was the florist, as her two bodyguards, Choi Jin Hyuk and Shin Sung Rok, stood on her left and right in a respectful distance.

He didn’t see Irene.

But he definitely saw all the guys around checking out his wife.

“Do you always dress this revealing here?”

She was surprised and smiled at him, immediately hugging him. “I thought you’d arrive at dinner?”

“I could leave earlier.”

Sooyoung informed the florist in Italian, “This is my husband.”

Sungjae smiled at the old lady and left with Sooyoung once she said goodbye.

There was a small boutique nearby and he dragged her there, “Irene is waiting for me at the restaurant.”

“She won’t pass out if she waits a bit more.”

“Why are we here? You don’t bring luggage again?”

“No. It’s for you” he answered, randomly grabbing a black shirt.

He paid for it then giving it to her.

“Wear this.”

“Shiro.”

“Wear it.”

“No!”

“Park Sooyoung, I’m really tired right now. All I want is lunch with my wife then sleep, but your cleavage and legs are everywhere. I wouldn’t be able to eat properly.”

Sooyoung grumbled but wore the shirt in the end.

“That skirt is still far too short. At least you’re covered on top now.”

She was silent all the way to the restaurant, but he wouldn’t let her hand go and she just had to bear with it.

He scolded Irene for letting her boss left the apartment in such revealing clothes.

“She wouldn’t listen to me, Sajangnim. I already told her you’d be angry.”

Sungjae glared at Sooyoung but then said nothing since she was already eating.

When they arrived at her apartment, he immediately showered and fell asleep.

He’s busier then with the weight of two companies on his shoulders, so Sooyoung was rarely angry at him for so long.

They were married but it felt like they were only dating, since they met only for a few days each month. After Paris, she had stayed in London and Spain, and by then, Italy.

It’s the city where Romeo and Juliet was set, and she really loved every parts of it. She even thought of buying a house there.

When Sungjae woke up, she informed him that she got accepted for Western History undergraduate program in Yonsei University.

Beside visiting museums, Sooyoung also studied very hard.

“Finally, you’re coming home to me.”

“I am” she smiled.

“Just tell everyone there that you’re married, ok?”

“I will.”

*******************************************************

Four years later, she graduated with flying colours.

All the while, she was still the owner of FYO company, her parents’ banks and insurance companies. Sungjae handled the day to day business, though. Sooyoung only gave her opinions when necessary. He fulfilled his promises, managing them as she wished.

“What’s next, Park Sooyoung?”

Still in her graduation robe, Sooyoung hugged her husband.

“A master degree in History, of course. While having a baby or two.”

“Really?”

“Really” she said, before kissing him.

Four years then passed again, with a master degree and two babies, both boys, she told him she’s invited to be a lecturer at Yonsei University.

“Remember, don’t flirt with your students.”

Sooyoung only chuckled and went on to fulfil her dreams.

***************************************************

Park Sooyoung, heir of Park family’s assets, was able to reach her dreams because she married Yook Sungjae.

People thought he managed her company because he wanted to have it. But no, he managed it because he loved her.

And contrary to popular belief, Park Sooyoung loved him just as much.

She cooked for him and ironed his shirts, reminded him to take his vitamins regularly, and was there for him through thick and thin of the financial world.

With her, he could be honest. He told her when he’s annoyed with his father, or was afraid he made a wrong decision. He cried in her arms when his mother died. And was the most himself with her.

Seoulites first saw them as a playboy and a spoiled brat.

But then they saw them as clever and successful heirs.

Everyone was shocked when Sooyoung suddenly pursued History and gave her companies’ management to her husband.

Yet they were obviously happy, so despite everything, people admired them.

**************************************************

At the age of 48 years old, Park Sooyoung was ordained as a Professor of History in Yonsei University. She began to give seminars in many countries and was one of the most respected woman in South Korea, since she donated so much to preserve the country’s culture, even building her own museum of traditional Korean costumes.

At the banquet to celebrate her new title, her husband and sons came—both were in junior high already.

They sat together for dinner around one big circular table with the dean and her family.

“If we all appear in history, do you think your love story would be worth to tell, Professor Park?”

She and the dean were good friends.

The question was surprising though, so she turned at her husband.

He was smiling at her and she smiled back.

“Of course. My love story is the best.”

“You look so happy. I’m sure it was really sweet since the beginning.”

“Oh, no. It didn’t start sweetly. But it was sweeter over the years.“

“You are lucky. Your husband supports your career very much. It’s really rare in this country.”

“I am lucky” Sooyoung agreed.

“She supports my career as well” Sungjae added, holding her hand under the table.

****************************************************

Summer break was approaching, and that’s the time when Yook family lived for one month in Verona. Sooyoung bought a house there since she loved it so much, and going there had been their family’s tradition every summer.

“Excited for our holiday?” Sungjae asked.

“Very much.”

“The boys are saying they definitely must row a boat themselves this year.”

“We promised they could try it last year, huh?”

“Ne.”

“Oh, well. I guess they can try. The guards will help them if anything happens.”

“Of course” he assured, “Nothing will happen.”

“Ahrasseo.”

“You know they’re great swimmers anyway, if anything happened.”

“You’re right” she agreed.

Sungjae helped her took off her sapphire necklace.

She changed to her dressing gown and lied beside him.

“You’re beautiful, Professor Park.”

Sooyoung laughed at that.

“You’re also handsome, CEO Yook.”

“Do you still receive naughty texts from your students? Older ladies are popular, lately.”

“Yah. I’m old.”

“Mm hm. And still very y. I heard your classes mostly have male students in it.”

“Ani. I have equal number of male and female students.”

“Do you?”

“Yes.”

“And do male students still give you gifts often?”

“Well, yes. But I share the chocolates with my colleagues.”

“See? You’re a dangerous woman, Park Sooyoung.”

“And you, Oppa, are you still strong-willed enough to refuse all those models and actresses that are trying to catch your attention?”

“Ilhoon is as effective as ever in sending unimportant people away.”

“You make him work too hard.”

“He married your Irene. He got nothing to complain about. Plus he got ten secretaries under him now.”

“They’re a great match.”

“We’re greater” Sungjae denied selfishly, untying her dressing robe.

“..........for someone our age, I think we have too much of this.”

“It’s no one’s business, but, is it my fault if my wife still looks really great?”

“Not really. It’s my fault. I’m too amazing.”

“You are” he agreed, kissing her passionately.

They’ve been married for eighteen years, and still very much in love with each other.

They found an equal that made them reached higher.

Even after all these years, they hadn’t felt bored or tired with each other.

Love, they found, was completion.

It would never get old.

****************************************************

Author’s Note:

Still on Eid holiday!

Hope you like the epilogue!

I do love them in this AU.

Please comment, yes?

Thank you for reading.